“Enjoyable stay”

Valamar Argosy Hotel
Ranked #20 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Hotel located on peninsula clustered with four other Valmar group hotels. They are well spread and not overcrowded. You have the opportunity of easily walking between the hotels and using the facilities, you can try the bars and entertainment at each and all prices are the same ( enjoyed trying the various versions of mojito's. we chose to watch the sun setting from the President hotel outside bar area. You can also use the President hotel beach area and hire parasol/chairs ( they are free of charge at the Argosy pool area) all pools are 'bracing' not heated.

On arrival reception was good and service quick. On getting to our room we discovered it was next to a playground and fairly noisy . We asked to move and this was done without fuss resulting in a better sea view ground floor room (143). Room was a comfortable double, room bar, good air on, etc. bathroom in good condition, most Importantly we had excellent sleep each night.

For transport you can catch the local bus and buy tickets from hotel shop. Bus is caught from in front of President (2 minutes from argosy) runs every two minutes and is first/last stop - couldn't be easier.

You can buy the Dubrovnik card in 1'3 pr 7 day form.this includes bus travel, access to 5 museums, 2 galaries, city walls. Good value but note the following :

2 of the attractions are closed on Monday's
The cable car and museum are not included
If you walk the city walls avoid time when cruise ship is in town if you can and buy an audio tour (70 kuna) - a tip just hire one and share it - easily done and is fun!

We went on 2 organised trips - Korcula and the countryside visit. Korcula was lovely as is the entire area(truly a string of pearls in he Adriatic!) guide was ok but could have been better.pick up and drop off was well organised. Country side trip was great, I would highly recommend, wine, licquer, cheese tasting, seeing how traditional wine growing and press worked, some local dancing and crafts. Guide was very good.

Would recommend walking along the seashore path that runs from past the President, past in front of hotel Neptune . It's well lit at night , well paved and has some great bars. Right on the waters edge - good for watching the sun go down ( you can see where we spent our early evenings). I can recommend the total More sea Fron bar which is literally on the waters edge. Good cocktails too.

The Argosy has a very good breakfast which is buffet style. Good variety and quality. Minor point to note - fresh squeezed orange juice is 27 kuna per glass (large) extra - this is a 3 star and nice to have the option, the standard ' juice' is lightly flavoured water!

Dinner is plentiful buffet and was always tasty with food freshly made. One downside is that it can become very busy with coach trips etc and can be a bit frantic. It lacks any real ambience - more an atmosphere of competition and challenge :-) again it's 3 star and therefore lacks a separate option to pay more for table service. It would good to see an option to be bale to use one of the other higher star hotels at a charge but it was unclear , not advertised . The sharing of they different hotels was not promoted and perhaps is not encouraged - having said that there's nothing stopping the more adventurous simply JDI. You can opt for a packed lunch if you wish we we did and eat out in the old city twice.

Beaches - president beach is les than 5 minutes walk - access it via the hotel lift! Alternatives are cava and copacabana beaches - again all within 5 minutes. All are pebble beaches so don't expect white sandy beaches! At all the beaches you can hire boats and there are water sports.

Overall we have an excellent stay, comfortable, clean, good service, good food, great location and we used the valamar hotels and explored and used options available including using each pool!

It was a lovely stay, good value and I would highly recommend. My advice would be to be clear n your expectation of a 3 star, opt for one of the four star valamar hotels if you can't abide the buffet only dinner! Architecture of Argosy and indeed President is a little dated and minor points of maintenance/grounds maintenance but I must stress this is a strong 3 star (European standards). Thanks to all the very hard working staff especially those in the restaurant .

PS the Argosy Mojito took the award for best Mojito , ahead of President and Lacroma! All were conservative in their rum measures !

Room Tip: Try for a room facing the sea and not inland or overlooking atrium/garden/bar. Personally preferred...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DaddySnow
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were overall happy with the services provided by my colleagues.. Your positive comment about our service and facilities is highly appreciated and I have shared your feedback with the team and they are very happy to learn that you had a nice holiday with us. I am very glad that you had time to explore around our peninsula and enjoy at our sister hotels Valamar Lacroma and Valamar President.
Thank you for all your “tips” regarding trips to Mostar and Korčula. I believe it would be great help for our next visitors. All other comments regarding hotel were noted and we are grateful for that, as well.
We are delightful to see that we won award for best Mojito, our bartenders would be proud. With hopes that “Mojito competition” will become annual with you as main judge roll,

Best regards from Dubrovnik!

Reviewed 9 October 2012

We visited the Valamar Argosy Hotel at the end of September.
The Argosy Hotel is located on the Babin Kuk peninsula, at the opposite end of Dubrovnik to the Old City. It is surrounded by 4 other Valamar hotels and has an old shopping centre attached to one side. It is set in lovely gardens and has some great views across the sea from some parts of the public areas and swimming pool. We arrived by car and there were good signposts from Dubrovnik, giving directions to the hotel. There was enough car parking near to the hotel, although at weekends this can get very busy. There was a bus stop a few minutes walk away with buses to Dubrovnik and the Old City every 10~15 minutes during most of the day.
We had paid extra for a sea view room with a balcony, and I was really very glad we had done so. It was very nice to wake up in the morning and have lovely sea views from our bed, and to sit on the balcony in the evening watching the sun go down. There are a lot of quite large trees and bushes in the garden, very close to the rooms, and some of the lower rooms must have been a bit dark and not very nice. Our room had wood laminate flooring, reasonable beds, and a clean, and functional bathroom. although reading some of the previous reviews, not everyone has been so lucky.
We found the restaurant staff very friendly and helpful, and the food available at the breakfast and evening buffets were generally very good. The bar staff were very sow and a bit grumpy most of the time, and I had to wait a long time to be served on a number of occasions. The evening entertainment was sometimes good, especially the Bulgarian Tenor, who had a really wonderful voice, although he did say it was the last night of his hotel contract and he was then going to the UK to further his career.
The pool is freshwater and was quite cold in September, as it is in a shaded location so doesn't get the sun warming it up much. The hotel provide towels for use around the pool, but these should not be taken to the beach. if you ask in the Argosy, they tell you to turn right and use the two public beaches a short walk away These are quite nice with bar/restaurant and you have to pay for the sun beds, umbrellas etc.However, the nearby Valamar 4* President hotel is the only hotel to have a beach (pebbles) with very nice swimming areas. I believe that all of the beaches in Croatia have to have public access, and as many local families do at weekends, it is possible to walk into this beach from the other side of The President to the Argosy (on the Argosy side there is a fence and gate). If you want to be very naughty, you can take your towels from the Argosy pool and use then on the President beach (they are identical towels) This way you don't need to pay for the sunbeds.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view!! It's worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank OxfordTraveller888

Dear Guests,
Thank you for choosing hotel Argosy for your stay in Dubrovnik and for taking time to share your impressions with tripadvisor community.
We are very glad you had enjoyable vacation in our hotel and that we met your expectations. Thank you for complementing our sea view room, food, and our restaurant staff. We feel sorry that bar staff was exception, but we are grateful for pointing us that. We took this really seriously and it will be immediately added into our training-program in order to develop our service quality.
In the end we must say that our tenor is not Bulgarian. He is local Dubrovnik artist called Markos. We are glad that you found him quite good and hope audience in U.K. will find it too.
Best regards,

Reviewed 8 October 2012

I have nothing but lots of words of praise for this hotel. Particularly regarding all of it's staff. I've been spending most of my time in dubrovnik in the hotel and they were nothing but helpful and patient with me and everybody around me.
I've stayed here many times. This is the perfect location for a visit to the old town however it's not inside the walls for you get your beauty sleep as it is in a rather quiet and green area with beach in walking distance. If going to the town bus stop(the terminal) is at the doorstep. Can not be any easier. It is in fact perfectly located no matter what you're up to in this town. To be quite honest, some of the rooms only could use some refurbishment, but once you've had some of the tastiest food ever in the hotel's restaurant and chatted to the dearest hotel's manager I've personally ever met - obviously a hard working gent, since always on duty; and after you see with your own eyes that each and every single member of his staff is no different, you forget about possibly worn out carpet. Considering their attitude and them being attentive, informative, friendly, sympathetic and always smiling yet hard working it gives me enormous pleasure to announce, to whom it may concern, the best team ever and, certainly, best leader to go with, Mr. Josip Konjevod.
Oh, and I can not resist making a point here. my dear fellow travelers. Cats would not be a problem if you would simply stop feeding them during breakfasts and dinners.
The title says it all, considering you know the origin of the hotel's name and also that the history of the phrase used in the title is familiar to you. I can assure you it is well deserved. By all means.
For here's the biggest thank you you've ever read, to everyone I've ever met here. I hope to see you again sometime. in Argosy.
God bless you and bye for now.
t.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank tangra_pu

Dear Tangra,
There are no words we can say to express how happy and pleased we are to hear all the best from you.
Thank you for your honest review and kindest words of praise which remind us why we all love this job and it will be great motivation for to keep up the good work.
It was such a pleasure to have you as our guest so many times and we hope you will have many happy returns.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed 8 October 2012

This hotel is a strange mixture, and it’s difficult to know where to start. We were another customer of Riviera, which does not include porterage. When we arrived at the hotel, there was no-one around to help with our cases (I have walking difficulties), and this seemed to highlight a general theme: not enough staff on duty when it is busy. However, we coped and checked in. Because of my difficulties, we had asked for a low floor, and were assigned a room on the same floor as reception (floor 2, which was at ground level!). The layout of the hotel is such that there is no room close to reception, but we were assigned the nearest.

Our room was a decent size, very clean, with French windows onto a shared balcony, and the beds were very comfortable. On arrival, we immediately turned on the air conditioning, but nothing happened. Like the Hotel Plaza in Omis, where we’d just come from, the a/c wouldn’t come on when the window was open, so we checked that and found that the window was closed. We eventually found that the window needed to be shut in just the right position, otherwise it didn’t register as closed for the a/c.

The a/c was not very effective, though, perhaps because the controls looked like those I last saw in Sri Lanka over 20 years ago. However, there was a very effective ceiling fan, and by using the two together the temperature felt well under control. Thankfully, the a/c and fan stayed on when we left the room.

The room was kept very clean, and was made up in the morning when everyone was normally out. We were impressed with the cleaning. I’m not at all sure why it was necessary, but the doorway into the bathroom was ridiculously narrow, though I could (just) get through it! It certainly wouldn’t be usable by someone in a wheelchair.

The restaurant was huge, and part of it was on a terrace. The big difficulty for me was that I could only get to it by going up (or down) some stairs. There was a wheelchair lift that made it unnecessary to use stairs, but there was no obvious way to use it. I didn’t see anyone in the restaurant in a wheelchair – perhaps that’s why!

All of the food was buffet style, and my comments are on that basis. I liked the food: as others have said, some of it was cooked while you wait, and there was a wide range available. Unfortunately, I’m not into salads, and my wife didn’t like a lot of the salads that were available. However, I did like the tomatoes, so much so that they ran out of them one night – what a disaster! But the meats included the usual pork and chicken, and surprisingly steak as well. For breakfast, there were sausages and bacon (sorry, but I’m a carnivore!), as well as the usual cooked and cold alternatives. The rolls and bread were lovely and fresh.

There are a few negative comments to make about the food. First, the meats at dinner were very considerably over-salted. Second, the breakfast fruit juice was watered down to the point that it was unpleasant. I could just about drink the apple juice, but the orange juice was dreadful (you could pay extra for fresh orange). Unfortunately, the coffee was not to my taste either, though that of course is very personal. The tea (for my wife) was fine, but needed two tea bags! She liked the fact that they provided tea pots.

There have been comments about cats in the restaurant, but I didn’t see any. There were cats, but they were kept outside the hotel. The only difficulty people had with the restaurant was in finding a table if you were a bit late down to the start of meals, particularly if you were in groups.

The hotel itself was pleasant, if a bit clinical, and in a very nice location. It was up on a hill in the middle of what I would call a park, with some lovely views. In spite of being out of the centre of Dubrovnik, you could catch a bus (nr 6) outside the hotel that would take you in 15 mins to the centre for the grand sum of about £1.50 – a bargain! Internally, there were effectively beer gardens, very spacious, and very pleasant to sit in. This was serviced by the lobby bar, and the only down side to the lobby bar was that it got horrendously busy at times. To return to a starting theme, there were not enough staff on this bar when it was busy, with long queues forming. If my memory is correct, we only ever saw two people serving at any one time. These two were expected to serve at the bar as well as wait on the tables.

The other comment relating to drinks is that they were relatively expensive. For example, a 500ml bottle of water was about £2.50 at the Argosy; in the local shops, a 1.5l bottle was £1.50. And that same 1.5l bottle in Omis was about 75p! Other drinks were equally expensive, relative to the outside and to Omis. However, I did find a local beer in the hotel (Tomislav Tamno Piso), which is a dark beer, rather like stout, and that was very tasty. It’s perhaps a pity that the Argosy had in their menu the 33cl size at about £2.50, but served the 50cl size at about £3.50. For once, I didn’t object to being misled!

So, what was my overall view of the hotel? It was huge, spacious, clean, and clinical, but expensive and, at times, understaffed. Considering the rack rates they publish (up to £250 per room per night B&B, plus about £20 per person per night for half-board), they really ought to be able to cope with busy periods better than they did. The staff were always helpful, and we were impressed by the restaurant staff and the room cleaning. There’s a lot to be happy about, but their prices for drinks seem too high and the rack rates should imply much less queuing.

Would we come again? Yes, but not at those rack rates.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed your review on Tripadvisor following your stay with us. We appreciate it very much.
Your comments are of great importance to us, because in this way we acquire complete picture of the quality level of our services.
We are happy to read that all in all you have had a pleasant stay with us and we hope we will have opportunity to host you again in the future.
Best regards,

Reviewed 3 October 2012

We were booked at the Tirena Hotel but at the last minute this change was made and what a super place it was. My room had French doors that opened on to the garden and view of the gorgeous Adriatic Sea with sailboats. The hotel had a wonderful, extensive breakfast buffet and dinner as well. A great beach and lovely pool and green area to relax. The hotel is on the #6 bus line which takes you into the old town of Dubrovnik and back without any difficulty. i stayed there for 3 nights and could have remained for a week!!!! It would be a great place to go just for a vacation with no other plans but relaxation and easy access to Dubrovnik if you wanted to poke around the old town.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the sea, pool area or beach are the best.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your travel to Dubrovnik and leaving a comment on your recent stay with us, and reviewing your stay with top mark on almost all hotel aspects. We are glad to hear you had an enjoyable and restful stay with us.
Hopefully Dubrovnik will be your travel destination once again and hotel Argosy your selected hotel.

Best regards from entire Argosy staff,

Reviewed 2 October 2012

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Argosy. There were 16 men together, the beer was good and the food better. The evening luxury buffet was amazing value. A lot of it cooked fresh as you watch.
Rooms were good, clean and comfortable. Bathrooms modern with shower and bath. The air conditioning could be better but I like to be chilled !
The "every 10 minutes" bus ran from the hotel entrance and the service returning ran up to 1am.
Thoroughly enjoyable.

• Stayed: September 2012
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Dear Guest,
I was delighted to read your positive comments regarding your recent stay and it was also great to hear that you had enjoyable stay. I’m happy to read that we met all your expectations and it makes me really proud.
Thank you very much for taking time to post this review and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again in hotel Argosy.
Best regards from Dubrovnik,

Reviewed 1 October 2012

Argosy Hotel is big and sprawling. It is quite old fashioned but being updated. Room we had was very basic although bathroom was more modern. Staff were lovely. Excellent selection of food. Entertainment in evening was very good espeically the violinist and the tenor who was exceptional. Rooms I think are luck of the draw. Some with balcony,some with views and some with both. Some with balconies overlook each other. Unfortunately we got neither. We had sliding doors which opened onto rooftiles. Not the most beautiful view but with some effort we could see the bay. Lobby bar staff were quite slow and laid back which created a free for all at times with the people waiting. We were with Riviera Travel and from this base visited Dubrovnik old town and Montenegro - both well worth visiting. Guides with Riviera and local guides were exceptional.

Room Tip: Ask on arrival if the room has a balcony or view and they may be able to change you. We didn't b...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank judithleslie

Dear Guest,
It was a pleasure for us to read your positive comments about our hotel. Thank you very much. I am happy to read that you have had a pleasant vacation in Dubrovnik and that you have enjoyed at hotel Argosy.
I truly hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you back soon.
Best regards from Dubrovnik,