“Nice and fair”

Ranked #19 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Belgium
“Nice and fair”
Reviewed 14 September 2008

We stayed several days in the hotel to discover Dubrovnik before our embarkation on the Windstar cruise vessel. The hotel belongs to the Valamar group just as the President situated next to it.
Location and access: situated on a peninsula at a few km from the old historic centre of Dubrovnik.
It is situated at the coast. To get there from the airport you have the Atlas shuttle which will drop you at the Porte de Pile, the main city entrance and the place where several buses of Libertas and taxis are available. From there we took a taxi (Kunas 100) but we quickly found out that the buses are more interesting. In fact you have several buses such as nr 5. On the bus it will cost KUN 10 per person but in the kiosk you only pay KUN 8.
What we had to discover was that for the Predident, Argosy and Tirena, Libertas has a kind of small Shuttle bus, air-conditioned approx every half hour which brings you straight to the Hotel… at the same price of the other buses, but in better comfort and much quicker as there are no other stops!

The hotel is quite big. We did not pay for sea view, but they gave us a well situated room wit some sea view. The room and that part of the hotel looked as it was renovated.
They are with the comfort, of terrace, air-conditioning, very bathroom, television, safe and mini-bar, hairdryer.
Reception staff is mostly friendly and speaks English.

For the facilities: you have a swimming pool, but the area around could be a little bigger. You can have free of charge bath towels.
There are two close by beaches, with facilities, payable, but you are not obliged to use the material. One of the two beaches has also a small naturist area. Note that the beaches are down the rocks and the beaches are rocky! People who have difficulties to walk, can have a problem to go to the beach.

The main restaurant is basically a buffet type and at the evening you can sit on the big terrace outside enjoy nice sunsets! We had a breakfast only formula. Twice took dinner in the evening, which I believe is a bit expensive at KUN 145 per person. A bottle of wine cost you roughly 110 Kun. The food is certainly not bad and the choice reasonable. However when you stay for a longer period for example 2 weeks, I fear that you received more or less basically the same. (Note: I compare with the Karthago El Ksar in Sousse (Tunisia) where the level and the variety of differences every day was at an higher level. Of course this is a 4 star)

Now taking the bus of Libertas is not really a hassle to get quickly in the beautiful old city centre where you find plenty of restaurants (but be a little suspicious, because there are as everywhere tourist trap restaurants where the price / quality is not always good).

The hotel is typical a resort type. So outside there is not too much except other hotels. Note that the hotel shows 3 stars only. For that level it is certainly good choice.

• Liked — nice rooms, the sunsets
  • Disliked — nothing special to mention
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jpver
Valamar, Online Community Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2009
Dear jpver, thank you for the review, photographs and impressions you decided to share with the Tripadvisor community. We are certain they will find them helpful. We are glad we have met your expectations. Visit us at the Adriatic again. Best regards to Belgium from Dubrovnik.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 11 July 2008

Returned this week from an eight day stay in hotel Argosy.
I arrived late in the evening but check in went smooth. Two (positive) surprises by checking in. First no need to fill in the usual guest card,after that I asked how much deposit I had to pay for any extra costs (laundry, minibar, etc). Front office staff replied that, as my accomodation was paid including half board, there was no need for a deposit.
As I arrived after the restaurant was closed already and the food on the plane was terrible, I wondered if there was still something to eat. Restaurant staff appologized for being closed but they had prepared for me already a huge cold platter. While consuming it, they definitely didn't rush me out of the restaurant.
Travelling single I experienced a lot of times that I had to stay in a room which was far below standards. This was here definitely not the case. The room was spacious and clean. Furniture new, even though a little Ikea style. The bathroom was also renovated, and a hairdryer in place.
During my stay the room was cleaned everyday punctual. If you leave change on your desk when leaving the room in the morning, expect it to be gone when you return. As in many other countries in the region the housekeeping staff consider this change on the desk as a tip for them.
Being F&B Mgr in a hotel myself, a am always a little picky when it comes to food but here no complaints at all. Plenty of choices for breakfast. Also buffet dinner with all the different cooking stations were very nice. Never were items during the week repeated and they also never ran out of an item. Be aware this is not a five star hotel, so dont expect lobster on the buffet, but severaql times fresh tuna, calamaris and mussels. Also nice that you can choose between trhee areas to sit : inside, outside but roof covered or totally outside.
Drinks are like in all hotels on the expensive side.
There is a covered passway from the hotel to the nearby terana hotel. In this passway you will find two mini markets,pizzeria, bar,
souvenir shops. Also a newspaperstand where you can buy bustickets.
Even though the hotel is not located close to the old town, public transportation is very easy. Bus 6 leaves every ten minutes to downtown just outside the hotel. As the busstop is the beginning of the line, busses are always standby and are punctual. If you have to go to the port of Gruz to take a ferry to one of the islands, bus 7 also stops here. Even though this one runs only once every ten minuts after the hour, very convenient to.
Check out went very smooth. Outstanding bills for bar, etc were all correct.
Check out time is 10 am. My pick up to the airport was only at 7 pm, but was able to store my luggage in a room beside the reception. You have to do this yourself, and by this you do not get a receipt for your luggage. Positive point however is that ajoined to this locker room there is a bathroom. So if you still go to town during the day, you can afterwards still fresh up and change your clothes to warmer ones to head home.
A wonderfull experience. They definitely will see me back.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
9 Thank Cauc4asian
Valamar, Online Community Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2009
Dear Cauc4asian, thank you for this extensive review and extremely positive comments. We are glad that you chose Argosy Hotel for your holiday and that you enjoyed. I would definitely recommend exploring the surroundings of Dubrovnik and the neighbouring regions next time through our offer of excursions. I am sure you would enjoy yourself. Such impressions are always nice to hear, and they motivate us to become even better. We are looking forward to seeing you again. I hope it will be soon. Best regards to Antwerp, Belgium from Dubrovnik.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2008

I stayed at the Argosy Hotel from the 28th May - 4th June 2008. First impressions were very good. Nice entrance with palm trees, and lovely reception area (light and spacious), with a bar area and a piano in the background. When we got to our room, first impressions were not good. There were no towels in the bathroom (which we had to request, it seems they had genuinely forgot to put them in), no hairdryer, a plastic chair next to the bed, air conditioning which didn't work, and just a fan on the roof which luckily did work. I wasn't happy. On top of that I heard a distant drilling noise. I looked out of the window at the front of the hotel to find a car park and a tall crane in the far distance where they were building another hotel. (One that is due to open in 2009). I immediately went back to reception where a different receptionist told me there was no noise in the room (even though I had just told her there was), and there were no other rooms available as they had all been reserved. She then disappeared and another man came on duty. He kindly gave us another room (at no extra charge) even though you could tell he wasn't pleased about the bother.

Our new room was lovely and modern on the ground floor (they must have had a recent refurbishment with the rooms at the back of the hotel). I couldn't believe our luck. We hadn't paid for a sea view, but now we had a partial sea view (apart from a couple of bushes blocking it a bit). Our view was in my opinion at least a 4* standard of room. With air conditioning, mini bar, a hairdryer, a lovely bathroom with luxury hand soap and cream, and shampoo in the shower. I have never had such a wonderful shower. The shower worked really well (water pressure excellent), and the bed was so comfortable. What topped it off though was the sound. It was so peaceful, I couldn't hear anything. What a difference! As soon as I opened the patio doors, all I could hear and just about see were the waves from the sea in the distance. When I closed the doors, silence - bliss. Our sheets and towels were changed daily thanks to the brilliant cleaning ladies, who were also very friendly, always stopping to say hello.

The meals were fantastic and the view was awesome, with the mountains and the sea. Often you would see large cruise liners coming in which was a magnificent sight. Also you can see the fantastic bridge that they've built within the last couple of years. We went half board, and we were glad we did. A massive buffet morning and night which changed daily. The chefs in front of you cooking or preparing it. For breakfast you could get free coffee or tea, and free juices. Let me warn you though, for your evening meals you don't get free drinks, and they charge extortionate prices for them. (We discovered after the first night). So its best just to take your own in, whether that be wine or bottled water. You'll always get a waiter/waitress coming up to you asking you if you want drinks. Say no, otherwise you'll get a shock when you come to leaving! There is a mini outdoor shopping centre adjoined to the hotel (near the restaurant) which has various souvenir shops, bars / snack bars, and a travel excursion shop. There is also a mini supermarket where we bought all our drinks from (as they were reasonable), and we saved ourselves a fortune!

The swimming pool we only used once (why use the swimming pool when you've got a beach on your doorstep?) The swimming pool was a decent enough size, but was a bit boring to be honest. Just your regular up and down swimming pool, with a separate kids pool. One of the other hotels nearby (Villa Park hotel - on the opposite side of the mini shopping centre), their pool was much nicer. It was a nice shape, and you could see the sea from the pool.

The entertainment was useless at the hotel (when there was any), so my tip would be to go out for your entertainment.

The location of he Argosy in my opinion was excellent. It is in Babin Kuk, about 50 mins from the airport, 10 mins from the New Town, 20mins from the Old Town, and within 5 mins walk from 3 beautiful beaches. Turn right on to the path at the back of the hotel and you have Cava Beach first (a stunning little cove beach with a bar), Copacabana Beach a little further along (a longer beach than Cava with watersports available such as jet skiing). If you take the path to the left from the back of the Argosy you will find the Dubrovnic President hotel which have their own private beach. Because the Argosy is part of the same hotel group as the President, you can use their facilities. So we went their a couple of times also. What is also good, is that at the Dubrovnic President you get free bed chairs and umbrellas. At the other 2 beaches you have to pay for them. My tip for all the beaches in Croatia is take some beach shoes with you. Most of the beaches are pebbly or rocky or both, and you 'll need them. You may choose to swim in them, but I found it too difficult because they made me float. As it is without the shoes you float, because the sea water is so salty.

The bus to the New Town and the Old Town goes from outside the Dubrovnik President which is next door to the Argosy (5 mins walk, if that). You have a choice of a few buses. Either the tourist shuttle bus which is 10 Croation Kuna each way, which goes directly to the Old Town (no stops). Or the regular bus which the locals use, which stops at every stop to the Old Town (No 6 bus). Even though it stops at every stop it still only took 20 mins to get to the Old Town. The local bus is cheaper being 8 kunas each way, 16 kunas return, which is approx £1.60 in British Stirling. The local bus can get very busy (they cram everyone in, with many standing up), but we were lucky enough to always get a seat. That probably was to do with the fact that the Dubrovnik President stop was the end of the line and the first place to get on, so you are lucky in that respect, because as soon as you reach the New Town, all the locals were cramming on.

Price wise (with the current interest rate) items are very similar to British prices except alcohol which seemed to be a lot more expensive, however with Croatia adopting the Euro next year, prices are bound to increase.

There is not much going on in the New Town. There are a few boutiques, a port, a couple of restaurants, a large supermarket, and a little market that sells fresh fruit and veg. The Old Town was much nicer. You feel as if you are entering a castle at Pile Gate (at night it is even more enchanting), with the guards standing by the main entrance, the main street (The Plaka) and hundreds of little passages and narrow streets leading off it. You will often see a busker or two playing Croatian music which I thoroughly enjoyed. There is so much to do in the Old Town! There are lots of churches / monasteries, monuments, souvenir shops, banks, art shops, bars, restaurants, and always some sort of event on. There was a classical music concert going on in one of the churches when we were there. And of course there are many tours you can go on, and of course you have to walk the wall, (which takes over 2 hours) which is definitely worth while. It is worth getting the audio guide when you're up there to to give you all the history. What struck me, was how clean the Old Town was, considering it is an 'Old Town'! You never saw any litter and the paving you walk on is shiny, as if they varnish it or something!

The No 5 bus from the Dubrovnik President took us to the best beach in Dubrovnik (Banje Beach). On the other side of the Old Town). Stunning clear waters and 4 poster beds on the beach, looking across at the scenery with the palm trees etc, it looked like the Italian Riviera.

We went on a couple of day trips, one on a boat to the Elaphite Islands (Kolocep, Sipan and Lopud) - with no tour guide, courtesy of Lege Nevalis tours which was a lot cheaper than if we had gone with Thompson's. Also to Bosnia and Herzogovina (Mostar), which I would certainly recommend (with a Thomson's tour guide). We also went to the Folklore concert which we did independently. It was in a building with an open air theatre (which used to be the city's quarantine!), just outside the city walls in Lazaretti (about 20 mins walk from Pile Gate). It is situated at the opposite end to Pile Gate. It was well worth it, and very enjoyable. It consisted of singers and dancers of all ages going through the history of Croatia. It was also a lot more reasonable than the tour to Clipi (with folklore dance) which the tour operator's (ours being Thomson's) offer you. The Folklore Concert is on, on Monday's and Friday's from 9.30pm, and there's no problem getting back to the hotel. We felt very safe walking back, through the old town to the bus stop opposite Pile Gate. Bus No 6 has a regular bus service running backwards and forwards to the Dubrovnik President till after midnight, so we had no worries.

All in all, I had a wonderful time at the Argosy and would definitely recommend it, but you must either insist on a room at the back of the hotel or pay extra for a sea view for it to be worthwhile.

• Liked — Hotel room, and the restaurant food and the view from the restaurant balcony. Overall location was excellent.
  • Disliked — The service from reception. I didn't find them particularly helpful or approachable. The girl on the hospitality desk was much more helpful if you need any information on excursions etc.
  • Stayed May 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12 Thank AdventurousSpirit
Dear Katrina-UK, thank you for this extensive review, positive comments, recommendation and the enclosed photographs of the Agrosy Hotel. We are certain your impressions will be of great help to the Tripadvisor community members. I am happy that you enjoyed your holiday and made the most of it (by trying the beaches, exploring Dubrovnik and its surroundings, as well as taking excursions to the neighbouring regions). Visit us at the Adriatic again. We are looking forward to it. Best regards to you and Manchester.
UK
Reviewed 17 May 2008

We stayed here at the end of April 2008.

The hotel has beautiful views (it is on the Lapad peninsula) but it is a twenty-minute bus-ride out of Dubrovnik, in an enclave of similarly soulless hotels, and feels rather isolated.

The service, rooms, food etc were what you would expect in a large tourist hotel i.e. okay but nothing very special.

One problem that we, and other members of our group, had, was that the windows fitted very badly - in fact there was a gap of up to about a centimetre all round. Plus our room faced into the chilly prevailing wind. We were provided with extra blankets, but were still uncomfortably cold and wind-blown at night.

We definitely would not stay here again.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — A long way out of Dubrovnik
  • Stayed April 2008
1 Thank Worldtravellerxyz
Dear Worldtravellerxyz, thank you for the review. Concerning the climate and the area, I would definitely recommend a visit in summer, when it is less windy and it is warmer. We hope to see you again. Best regards to the UK from Dubrovnik.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 May 2008

I stayed here for 3 nights as part of a tour group and was not impressed with this hotel. Supposed to be a 3* but the room was very basic with wooden floor, no decor, green plastic chairs.
(See photo) The bathroom was fine but the glasses were not clean and one had a chip in it. They were not cleaned the next day when the room was serviced.
The other hotels on the tour were of a much better standard than this one.
The upside was the ceiling fan and air conditioning as I found the room to be too warm.
The layout was confusing. Food was OK but nothing to rave about.
Reception staff were not so helpful, one man was rather snooty and I had a run in with another over an internet problem. He was very rude and arrogant. Another tour person came back down with me and tried to put forward my case but this man was not even slightly interested. I managed to resolve it the next day with the original receptionist and he could not have been nicer.
We dined at a lovely restaurant overlooking the water in Dubrovnik. A dinner plate sized pizza and a glass of wine for ~ $AUD9. It was handy to catch the bus right back to the hotel door.

• Liked — Ceiling fan & air conditioning
  • Disliked — Location, rude staff, confusing layout,
  • Stayed April 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Roma S
Dear Zahle, thank you for this review. Visit us at the Adriatic again. I hope to see you soon. Best regards to Australia from Dubrovnik.
North Wales
Reviewed 13 January 2008

We stayed in a hotel of the Valamar group in Porec, so when thinking of visiting Dubrovnik we looked on their website again. By booking early and direct we saved a considerable amount.
Hotel Argosy is big and somewhat impersonal but they all speak English at reception and are very helpful. The hotel has all the amenities you would expect and is clean and comfortable. The pool and bar are a useful alternative to the nearest pebble and scree beaches, and in June it wasn't overcrowded. We only took breakfast in the huge dining room and that was pretty average, although the views across the water are marvellous.
The hotel is in Babib Kuk on the Lapad peninsula, easily reached by one bus ride from Dubrovnik. However, since bus travel throughout the area can be pretty hot and hectic at peak times we soon found it was easier to stay on Lapad during the evenings.
Dubrovnik was well worth a look but we moved on to the Makarska riviera after a few days as we found it a better base to explore islands such as Hvar and Split on the mainland.

Stayed June 2007
8 Thank cymruNorthWales
Dear cymruNorthWales, thank you for the review and enclosed photographs. We are glad you liked Dubrovnik. We are looking forward to seeing you again. Visit us at the Adriatic. Kind regards to North Wales.