“Very nice hotel and newly renovated”

Valamar Argosy Hotel
Ranked #20 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I recently stayed here for a week as part of a group tour and found it a great option. The location is good, about a 10 minute bus ride to the old town (very frequent buses all day). My room was clean, spacious and newly renovated. I am not a fan of buffets, but the breakfast and dinner buffet here was great with lots of choice and varying menus each day. Also, as it was early in the season it wasn't too crowded in the restaurant. The staff were friendly and helpful. It was still a little cold, but I can imagine the pool and garden area would be very relaxing in warm weather. The only minor fault was that there was little or no heating in the bedrooms the first 3 days, this was sorted out by day 4 and I guess it was just a teething problem. Overall, I would happily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank PlanetWaves20
Belinda B, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your impressions with TripAdvisor community after your recent stay in Valamar Argosy

I am very happy to read that you have fully enjoyed your vacation and that our hotel has met all your expectations even though we had teething problems.

Fact that you found our staff friendly and helpful makes me even happier. They are truly our greatest value and I am always glad when their effort is recognized.

Thank you once again for kind words and your recommendation for all travellers to Dubrovnik.

Belinda L. Božanja - Valamar Argosy general manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,387)

Reviewed 25 January 2014

After staying at charming but budget spots, it was a welcome relief to stay at the Argosy Hotel. There is a lovely pool, its own beach a bit of a walk away, and on our rate plan breakfast AND dinner were both included - huge, tasty, varied buffets. It was hard to find - call for detailed directions so you don't get turned around like we did - but well worth it once you get there. We arrived late the first night, and the staff made us up plates for dinner, since we'd missed the dinner hours! That made us feel very welcomed. The Front Desk people were very friendly and helpful and the room was very big. The Old Town was an easy bus ride away. This was a really nice, dare I say luxurious, hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
18  Thank rrrrrrrhonda
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Guest,

A big thank you for your kind review of our hotel. Most of all it makes us all very happy to know you have enjoyed your stay with us. Happy guests make all our effort worthwhile and we are happy to have been able to make your stay in Argosy so enjoyable.

Until our next encounter, please let me extend warmest regards from whole Argosy staff,

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed here in August 13 for 6 weeks whilst working in croatia, a nice little hotel rooms are nothing special nor is the pool but the staff were fantastic! We ate in the buffet a couple of times which was ok but wouldn't want to pay the full rate. Lovely beach 3 mins walk away with stunning waters for swimming in.
Dubrovnik old town worked out around £6 in a cab and well worth a walk round

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank paulyandnelly

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for reviewing your stay in our hotel. I am very glad that Argosy staff have made your vacation more enjoyable. Hope you will have opportunity to visit us again and see improvements we did in all area, especially with pool area.
Greetings for from the entire Argosy staff!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for a week at the end of August/early September 2013 and it was lovely.
We had a sea view room that was worth paying the extra for. The rooms were clean and well equipped with a mini bar that wasn't too expensive. The bathroom was large and had a bath and shower. The views from the balcony were lovely and we spent some nights cruise ship watching.
The food in the hotel was wonderful. There was always plenty of choice. There was sometimes cats roaming about the place but we didn't mind too much. The restaurant staff came round to take drinks orders and refill coffee in the morning at your table.

When we stayed the crew from Game of Thrones were also staying at the hotel and although they didn't come to dinner, they did hog the bar slightly. There was some evening entertainment on the terrace, some acts were better than others.
Some of the staff didn't speak much english but they were always courteous.

We didn't use the pool as we went to the nearby beach about a 5-10 minute walk. The sea was excellent to swim in but I would recommend using scuba shoes as it is rocky and pebbly.

The hotel was in a great location. There were a lot of other hotels nearby from the same company but they were spread out quite well. There was a small shopping complex a couple of minutes walk away that sold souvenirs and had some restaurants. It wasn't very busy and of an evening it was a bit eerie.
The local number 6 bus stopped outside the hotel to take you to Dubrovnik centre. It is the first stop on the line and the bus can get very overcrowded. It took around 10-15 minutes.

Dubrovnik is a beautiful city with lots to see and do. We went on the cable car which offers fantastic views and there is a good war museum and a nice (slightly expensive) restaurant at the top. The walls are good to walk round too. The city is a tourist hotspot but unlike other large cities such as Paris and Barcelona you don't get hassled. Prices are cheaper than other large cities for the most part, but there are still some expensive places.

For a bit of peace and quiet we went to the island of Lokrum on a couple of occasions. The boat trip is about £8 but you can spend all day on the island and there are a couple of bars on the island as well as nice walks and rockpools.

We really enjoyed it here. The hotel and location was great for us. It was nice and relaxing and the staff were helpful. The Riviera tours people came on our last evening there and we noticed they started to complain almost straight away for no other reason than they like complaining. We had a lovely time and couldn't fault the place and will probably be back again at some point.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a sea view. It is worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank dizzyduckCheshire
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you on your great review and most of all thank you for choosing Argosy for your stay in Dubrovnik.

I am glad you found everything to your liking and left us with only nice memories. It always makes all of us very happy to have such a satisfied customer.

Hope that we will have a chance to host you again in the near future, so you can enjoy all the lovely changes we are currently doing for next season.

Best regards from still sunny Dubrovnik!

Josip Konjevod – General manager

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed here in September for four nights as I had a work conference in Dubrovnik and I could not have been more disappointed. We had no choice in where we stayed otherwise I would have chosen from the hundreds of nicer hotels or b & b's that Dubrovnik has to offer. First of all, the hotel is way overpriced, our room was 85 Euro and we were on the last bus stop so it was quite far from the city center. The location does not correspond to the price. But the worst part is that the hotel is very drab and outdated, it looks as if it has not been touched since the 60's. Outdated I can do but the hotel room itself was very dirty. The bathroom had a lot of mold around the shower and tub. The air vents were black around the edges and every morning I woke up very congested, it was very dusty and dirty in there as well as the old and dirty carpet that lined the floors. The breakfast buffet was ok, nothing special. However, I will say that the staff was very friendly and helpful. I would recommend staying not only closer to town but in any one of the hundreds of nice places you can find in Dubrovnik.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank travelingtalia
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Valamar Hotels and Resorts, and me personally, I thank you very much for taking time to share your experience with other travelers.

I feel sorry we didn’t completely meet your expectations in the matter you comment to us. We took this really seriously and we have immediately added the point into our training-program in order to develop our service quality and courtesy up to your total satisfaction. However, I am glad our staff were to your liking.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights on the second leg of a recent Riviera Travel holiday. I am not going into detail about this hotel which was a complete & disappointing contrast to the first hotel we stopped at in Omis. I have written to Riviera Travel with our views but my rating is sufficient for this site.

Room Tip: Long corridors, stay as close to either or both of Reception/Restaurant as possible
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ColinManchesterUK
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments online.
I would like to read reasons of your disappointment, but I believe that Riviera Travel will forward it to us.
From this point, I can only express sincere regret to hear you found your stay at our hotel unsatisfactory.

I hope your eventual next stay with will be much more enjoyable.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

At the hotel as part of a Riviera Holidays tour. The hotel dates from the Communist era and is rather basic. The rooms are clean but utilitarian. It is the buffet restaurant where everything falls down. It is like eating in a works canteen, if that is, you can find a table. Both at breakfast and evening meal there are far too many guests for the available facilities. Most of the tables are set for four, although most of the guests seem to be in couples. This means that you may end up eating with strangers - not to everyone's liking. The noise level is horrendous, you cannot have a relaxing meal. As this is in October, I cannot imagine what it is like at the height of the season.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bryanbiggin
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for staying in hotel Argosy and also for taking time to write a review.

We are very sorry and most concerned to hear your dining experience in our hotel was not entirely pleasant and that you found our restaurant not as expected.

Hopefully you will be our guest again in the future so we can show ourselves in a better light on that occasion.

Josip konjevod-General manager