“Best food ever.”

Valamar Argosy Hotel
Ranked #20 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We arrived end of May and were welcomed with a lovely glass of champagne as we waited for our room to be made ready. We had arrived quite early but we were still booked in and settled into our lovely room well before the official booking in time. Our 10 night stay was fantastic. Most of the staff are very friendly and helpful, just a few of the dining room waiters seemed quite sullen, although efficient. We had booked half board. The food was great, definitely the best we have had in any hotel that we have visited in the last 15 years and we usually have a least two holidays a year. The meat was cooked to perfection at every meal and the variety of food was vast. The indoor pool,outdoor infinity pool and the sun decks were always immaculately kept and had the most amazing views. It would have been nice to have had a pool bar instead of having to get dressed to go into the hotel bar to collect drinks.The hotel has a stunning location, with easy access into the old town of Dubrovnik. There are lots of beautiful walks from the hotel along the footpaths. We took these to Lapad, Gruz Harbour and to the local beaches. We had a great holiday and would love to go back to Dubrovnik and definitely to the Argosy.

Room Tip: Sea view recommended.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sueandkevin28
Belinda B, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear guests,

thank you for choosing Valamar and Argosy hotel for your holiday and I'm glad everything went perfect for you.
It's a great compliment for the chef and all of his team in the kitchen that this is the best food ever. They do work very hard to keep up the good quality and prepare as much as possible fresh and last minute in front of the guests.
Sorry for the delay in opening the pool bar, but we were still waiting for some equipment to be delivered.
Once again, thank you for all the nice words of support and best wishes from all the staff !

Hope to see you return.

Belinda L. Božanja - Valamar Argosy general manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,387)

Reviewed 15 June 2014

There's a lot to like: The staff are very friendly, helpful. The whole hotel is well kept. Absolutely wonderful views from the balcony tables in the restaurant and pool - unsurpassed sunsets! Although the architecture is somewhat err - lets say modern - there's a nice feel about it. Good light entertainment with musicians at night - one violinist in particular was quite superb.
For me, the evening meals were a problem, the buffet looked impressive, but I struggled to find anything to eat that hadn't had butter or cheese added or wasn't fried. Well there was the boiled eggs, fruit and grated carrot but the grated cabbage had so much oil added I felt queasy after it. I don't eat meat so that probably doesn't help but even the boiled potatoes sat in 2 cm of oil. To be fair my travelling companion didn't find it a problem, though I did sit in silent wonderment at how she managed to eat it. Tried to address this with the hotel- perhaps I should have complained more strongly - I gave up after a while so we ate out on the final night.

I had room 314, the door seal isn't good and it can be noisy up to 10.30pm if the musicians are in the lobby. Not a problem for me but ask for another room if noise is distracting for you.
Two nice pools -I went in the indoor pool first to get acclimatised to the water temp - made the outdoor pool positively warm! There's spa type areas around the indoor pool which are ideal for serious relaxation.
Lots to love, particularly the friendly staff and views. I just couldn't face all the fried food again.

Room Tip: ones that overlook the central lobby are convenient but can be noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This hotel is located amonst 3 other Valamar hotels. We walked past another hotel to the small beach area. There is an outdoor pool with a beautiful view of the old harbor and an indoor pool as well. Layout is lovely, lots of walking paths among a wooded area, a darn good gift shop and the breakfast was really good. If you can't find something to eat here, I can't imagine what your diet is. I'm a celiac and loved the breakfasts. There was a small mall nearby for eats, and the number 6 bus stops very close by and will take you right into town. There are a number of venues for evening cocktails, here there outside inside. Very very relaxing. The rooms were real nice and an upgrade for my tour. Downstairs there was a common room where you could lounge, watch tv, read books and enjoy company.I really liked it here. There are also a few other restaurants in the area, so dining choices are there.

Room Tip: Some had rooms with balcony's, outside patios. I didn't but the grounds are so nice, I don...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Lis K
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I spent 4 nights at this hotel at the end of a 2 week adventure tour of Croatia. I was looking for a decent hotel to relax at and enjoy the sights of southern Croatia. At the time I thought it would be better to book my stay with half-board to save the hassle of having to go out and find a place to have breakfast and dinner each day. I was NOT aware of the BUFFET method of serving meals here. I'm not one to disparage food as a rule, but it was HORRIBLE - breakfast and dinner. Although it seemed like there was many different "stations" serving different things, none of it was worth eating. Even the ice cream was bland and unsatisfying. And the "service" was non-existant. At 5 out of 7 of my meals, I was never even approached for something to drink. When I was, it was over-priced and served with a bad attitude. DO NOT eat here! I did try the "Lobby Bar" for 2 lunches, and one of those times when I asked for a menu, the wait staff said I would be better off dining at the pool bar. Lazy? Who knows. The salad I had there was ok, nothing more. The pool was beautiful though, and there were many beach chairs that were comfortable and spaced well. The views from the pool area were really nice and pretty. The grounds were nicely maintained as well. I needed to make a couple copies of travel vouchers, and although the "business area" in the lobby consisted of only 2 old computers and no printer, they pointed me to the "Guest Relations" desk where they had me email their address and they printed them for me at no cost. But I only saw the little desk staffed briefly twice the whole time I was there. Also, when I could not figure out how to use the incredibly weird room phones (no written directions, info, random ring tones, etc) and had pleaded THREE TIMES for help, one of the reception desk guys went to my room and showed my how to operate it. I appreciated the help, but it really shouldn't be that difficult to make a call. The room I had was fine and clean and fairly big. It had great lighting and a nice small balcony and it was really nice to have such a deep and relaxing tub. I also found that the air conditioning barely cooled the room - I can't imagine that it would be comfortable in the summer. The hotel is a small distance from a little shopping "center" with a couple restaurants and small mini-marts and souvenir shops. There is also a GREAT sea-front walking path that goes right by the hotel that can be walked for a long way that also goes by many more seaside restaurants, hotels and small swim areas.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Our room was very nice quite spacious with a balcony that overlooked the sea (although the view was obscured a little by the sister hotel in front of us the Valamar President. The breakfast and evening buffet were very good with a large selection of dishes. We stayed at the Argosy at the beginning of June and the weather was very hot but unfortunately the water in the beautiful infinity pool was freezing. The nearest pebble public beach was close to the hotel but we were not allowed to use the Valamar Presidents (next door) private beach. The staff were friendly and the Manager Matko Maric was great, a lovely man who put his customers first. There were some good tours in the area and an excursion to the Elaphite islands is a must especially if you go on the 16th centuary replica boat the "Karaka". The trip into Montenegro was a very long day but Kotor was definately worth seeing although could have done without the extra coach trip of about 2 hours to Budva.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for sea view room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Woktraveller
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed at the 4 star Argosy Hotel during the last week of May. We found it was a good time to holiday for those of us of a certain age with our family grown -up. Not sure what it would be like when the families arrive.
I didn't get around to using the spa but it was good to have the option.
The hotel is very clean and the facilities are very good. The gym is small but useful, the pools are good, we saw the pool water being tested which was reassuring. The poolside furniture seemed to be new, as were the beds and pillows which are clean and comfortable.
We had a balcony with a sea view which was nice to relax on, however there are many places both inside and out to sit and relax.
We went on a B&B basis as we like to try local restaurants, the breakfast buffet was excellant.
Each morning I enjoyed cereal, freshly made pancakes, omelets and crispy bacon covered with honey! there is plenty of choice.
The staff were friendly and helpful, for example we arrived after midnight and the guy on reception made us tea. There wasn't tea making facilities in the room however when we asked for a kettle etc. they provided them.
The hotel provide pool exercise sessions and entertainment in the evening. The gardens are nice to walk through in the evening and the beach is only a 10 minute walk away in front of the neighbouring hotel which is in the same chain of hotels.
There is a local bus the no. 6 outside the hotel every 20 mins, its inexpensive and drops you at the entrance to the old walled city.
We ate out in a different restaurant in the city each night, great variety.
We walked the city walls which takes over an hour great views from it.
There are many boat and coach trips to explore further afield.
The cable car is worth a trip if you want an even better view.
The sea water is so clean and clear, and the tap water is safe to drink.
I would recommend it and go back some time.

Room Tip: We were in room 232 which is not far from the lobby and had a sea view side-on. It was handy and qu...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lesley Q
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my Mom for 5 nights at the beginning of May. We had booked the half board option and although we were somewhat hesitant beforehand having heard horror stories of half board/All Inclusive options in other resorts where frozen fish fingers is regarded as catch of the day - we were pleasantly surprised! Dining at the Valamar Argosy is no horror story, the selection of food, including fresh meats and fish cooked in front of you is just great! Other options includes a selection of stone cooked pizza's a vast selection of salads and hot vegetables. The selection of cakes, desserts and ice cream was amazing.

The views from the pool are jaw dropping and the location of the hotel makes a great spot to watch the huge cruise ships coming into and leaving the port.

The hotel offers you a very relaxing and care free break away. It is not a family hotel, I didn't see any children during our stay.

The staff are really friendly and helpful. Only one problem-the young lady on the hospitality desk could do with brushing up on tour options available and tour operators in the area. On approaching the desk to book a trip to medjigorje and mostar she offered to make the booking for me, after making a few calls she explained that no operator offered that tour. I ended up sourcing an operator by myself and making the booking.

All in all a great holiday, would definitely go back here!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family