“amazing hotel with amazing views”

Valamar Argosy Hotel
Ranked #19 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 13 May 2010

i cannot express in words the sheer delight at having discovered this fantastic hotel. the staff were so helpful and polite especially as we had to stay a further four days due to the icelandic ash cloud. the management and reception staff did all they could to help and advise us at this stresfull time we should very much like to return to the argosy hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Valamar Argosy Hotel

Reviewed 4 May 2010

We stayed at the Argosy as part of a Riviera Travel Group during the second part of an excellent tour of Croatia. It was most a real let down after the hotel we stayed in at the beginning of the week. The bedroom walls were paper thin, the shower flooded the floor every day and the room was very utilitarian. The hotel is on the Babin Kuk peninsula a good 15 minute or more bus ride from Dubrovnik and has obviously been refurbished to try to make it look modern. The bar prices were expensive and the dining room can only be described as cavernous and canteen like. It is also very noisy and you have to be quite competitive to help your self to the food !!!! Elbows out!!! Not very relaxing I have to say.

There was also a strange area behind the hotel. A concrete jungle with a derelict building.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GingerGill
Reviewed 14 December 2009

We stayed here as part of a tour group. We and other couples were disgusted with our rooms on arrival and we eventually settled for the best of the worst after looking at three other rooms. We were told our tour group only paid for standard rooms. These resembled dirty and outdated student bedsits, most with heavily stained carpets. Try for a room with a laminated floor if possible as these appear cleaner. Decent enough food in the restaurant but nothing to write home about, a decent pool, a convenient bus service into Dubrovnik, and a nice boardwalk to the nearest town nearby. Definitely not somewhere I would seek to stay again.

• Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank Helpyouandhelpme
Reviewed 3 November 2009

Stayed for four nights as part of Riviera Travel package to Croatia. Hotel is remote from Dubrovnik (80 minute fast walk) and they didn't offer a shuttle. Rooms dated but the real downer is the catering - awful canteen like facility and mediocre food. Eat early and it's a scramble for seats, eat later and food choice is restricted and you sit amongst the debris of earlier diners' meals. We were there at a quiet end of season time - high season must be even more horrendous. Hotel is way below Riviera's usual standard.
Avoid!

3  Thank Demibeau
Reviewed 30 October 2009

This hotel occupies a large area on the northern part of the Lapad Peninsula a fair ways from old town Dubrovnik,but still within the city limits. A bus runs regularly from about one and a half blocks from the hotel to the edge of the old town,as far as vehicle traffic can go. The hotel occupies a very large area,but has a split personality;the common areas of the hotel are very nice,but the individual guest rooms are in serious need of maintenance. My wife and I stayed there 4 nights from October 2 to October 5 of 2009. The first night, a Friday,for some bizarre reason the hotel had a band playing in the lobby until 10:45p.m. Of course we could not fall asleep due to the noise. I think 10:45p.m. is a bit late for this sort of thing. The wind picked up during the night and quickly revealed that the pane of glass in our rooms sliding glass door was loose and rattled loudly all night. We got hardly any sleep.At 5:00 a.m. I went to the front desk and asked if we could switch to a different room for our remaining three nights. The night manager was very accomodating and gave us a different room and even said they would send bellhops to transfer our luggage,even though I said I could do it myself. But she insisted,then handed me the key to the new room (they had about 10% vacant rooms the previous night). When I went to check the new room,in a different part of the hotel,the sliding glass door was wide open and the wind was howling through the room. I went to close the sliding glass door and could not. About that time a bellhop showed up and was unable to close it also. She called the front desk and told them the sliding door was broken and would need repair. So the night manager gave us a third room. This one was tolerable,although this rooms sliding glass door was difficult to open and close. I found out later in the day that a number of other couples in our group tour went to the front desk after me to request new rooms due to maintenance problems. Our Croatian guide said she hopes one of the large American hotel chains will buy this hotel and fix it up,as she stays there regularly and feels it is in urgent need of maintenance or remodeling.Many of the other hotels in the Dubrovnik area have been bought by western hotel companies and remodeled. If you think I am too picky we stayed at 5 other hotels on our Croatia trip and I have nothing negative to say about any of those five. And in fact the Argosy has many good features;a semi-private beach (although a bit of a walk from the hotel ),nice outdoor swimming pool and whirlpool,nice lounge area and bar. And the restaurant is terrific. Would I stay here again? I would pobably hope to stay at one of the other nearby hotels,but staying here again would not be the wost thing in the world.

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank blake63
Reviewed 23 October 2009

The best thing about the Argosy is the foyer. It is welcoming and has a nice atmosphere. Unfortunately everything goes drastically downhill after this.

The design of the hotel is so bad that if you are unlucky enough to have one of the more central bedrooms you may as well give up all hope of sleeping during your holiday. If you are not being kept awake by the noise coming from the ‘entertainment’ in the foyer below then you are kept awake by the noise coming from the people on the terraces outside. It is horrendous.

The walls are so thin you can hear everything happening in the room next to yours. And I mean everything. We heard the couple next to us having a pee and then discussing whether they were going to clean their teeth before breakfast, or after. And presumably they could hear us. But I don't think we mentioned teeth.

If you have been with your partner for decades, and have nothing left to talk about, you’ll enjoy the dining room. It is impossible to hear what the person opposite you is saying unless you both shout, so after a while you give up trying, and complete strangers sit so close to you either side it would be obligatory to marry them afterwards in some cultures.

The food is bog standard. I heard this hotel had won an award for its food. Not sure if that’s apocryphal or not. If they have I don’t know how. Variety is pretty good but everything tastes pretty much the same. I didn’t think the breakfast was that fantastic though I seem to be alone on this, but the bread was very good.

The internet is expensive and sporadic - annoying in this day and age. And the gin - whatever brand you ask for - tastes seriously weird. Not that I am suggesting anything...

It advertises itself as having a gym and a 'wellness' centre. This is actually at its sister hotel - which is very misleading in my opinion - and in any case this hotel was closed for the season when we were there in mid-October.

The views from the Argosy are good and the bus service into Dubrovnik is efficient and cheap. However this does not make up for it being such a long way from the old town. Dubrovnik old town itself is simply stunning and hauntingly beautiful. But if I hadn’t been with a tour company I would have chosen to stay somewhere – practically anywhere – else, while I was visiting.

6  Thank Sorus
Reviewed 21 October 2009

We stayed for four nights as part of a two centre Croatian tour package with Riviera Holidays, so we didn't book direct. The tour manager indicated that this hotel was used to keep costs down.

It's a very large and very 1970s hotel. Our room was "standard", no balcony and a view of the garden near the entrance. It was spacious, quiet and reasonably well equipped but in need of a facelift, and the bathrom flooded every time we showered!

There was a fair choice of food, but the quality of some of the meat and fish wasn't very high, the dining room and bar tended to be crowded, and the staff in those areas seemed to be under pressure. That said, the rest of the staff were polite and helpful - a request to replace a light bulb in our room was responded to within five minutes.

Overall, the Argosy serrved its purpose as a base for touring, but we would have been disappointed if it had been the centrepeice of our holiday.

2  Thank nomad535