“Dubrovnik Hotel switch” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Dubrovnik
nichols hills
“Dubrovnik Hotel switch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Days before my arrival in Dubrovnik, I received a notice that my reservation at the Hotel Excelsior was being transferred to the Hotel Bellevue. In compensation for the inconvenience, they upgraded me from standard room to suite. despite the upgrade, I was upset by this change. Butmy opinion gradually changed. First, the room was excellent. The walk to the old town is longer than from the Excelsior but quite pleasant with nice views along the way. The beach near the Excelsior is nicer but having to rent beach umbrellas there is annoying. Plenty umbrellas for free at the Bellevue. But the real kicker was the staff at Bellevue...everyone was both patient and energetic about fulfilling my many special requests. They totally won me over. I had an awesome time!! (Negative side: both Hotels are weak in the area of fitness centers...but I knew that going in).

Room Tip: All rooms have great balconies
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank oliver c
luce b, General Manager at Hotel Bellevue Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
Dear Oliver C
Thank you very much for your nice feedback posted on Tripadvisor's pages.
I am more then happy to read that you have highlighted staff's exeptional service and attitude.
It was really our pleasure to arrange everything for you.
Thank you again for your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel
"Bellevue" on your next visit to Dubrovnik.
Hotel "Bellevue", Dubrovnik

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

Located 15 minutes by foot from the Old Town, the Bellevue is a lovely, modern hotel. The staff are friendly and eager to help. We were very pleased to use the hotel as a base for various tours and for exploring Dubrovnik. When not out and about, the spa was a useful distraction. We had a balcony sea-view room which was great, but sadly smokers in the adjacent balcony meant we did not use it as much as we would like. Although smoking is not permitted in the hotel, this does not appear to extend to room balconies, which we mentioned to the front desk.

2 Thank IanR961
luce b, General Manager at Hotel Bellevue Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear Mr Ian R,
Thank you very much for your nice comments posted on Tripadvisor pages. Thank you for pointing out our nice location and our helpful staff.
I hope to welcome you again in our hotel !
Hotel "Bellevue",Dubrovnik
Glenning Valley Aust
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

We stayed two nights and found this hotel just perfect. It was close enough to the old town to walk if you are energetic, and far enough away to be quiet and away from the nightclub scene. Concierge was fantastic when our rental car fell through and had another one arranged in 15 minutes, even negotiating the price for us. Highly recommended. All staff were exceptional.

Dear M Rubie,
Thank you very much for spending the extra time to write this nice review regarding your recent stay at Bellevue, Dubrovnik.
I am delighted to learn that you were impressed with location of our hotel as well as with our staff service.
We look forward to your next stay with us.
Hotel "Bellevue". Dubrovnik
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

This hotel is located on one of the only beaches in Dubrovnick. The beach is a bit small, but very cool. The hotel supplies free comfortable chairs, umbrellas, towels and waiter service. The newly renovated rooms all have a spectacular view. Every room has free wifi and fast Internet service. The complementary breakfast was perfect, included make your own omlets, fruit, breads, meats, cheeses, and yogurts. The concierge service was extremely helpful as my boyfriend and I had no clue where to eat or what to do in the city. The walk to old town was about 10 minutes and a taxi service was about 5-7$. I HIGHLY recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: All rooms have an amazing view!
4 Thank Jessica L
luce b, General Manager at Hotel Bellevue Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Dear Jesisca L,
We very much appreciate your feedback and would like to thank you for your time to share your experience with other travellers.
We are delighted to read that you had a wonderful experience and we very much look forward welcoming you back soon.
Sincerely
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

It's awful when the best thing a "5 star" hotel is the free breakfast...We visited Hotel Bellevue in June after leaving a wonderful hotel in Hvar, the Hotel Podstine. It was half the price (literally) and twice the experience.
You really are promising a lot when you bill yourself as 5 star, and this just did not live up to that quality.

Just making something expensive, doesn't make it 5 star.

The rooms were clean, spacious, we had a balcony, but the hotel left us feeling like we were in a hospital. Sterile and no character.
What made it worse was the Stepford-like employees that extended forced and strained hospitality.
The only genuine interaction we received was one of hostility from the spa staff that actually ended with us having an argument right before we went into get our massage!
There was apparently a misunderstanding with some of the information we had been given by another spa staff member, and when we arrived for our massage that we had booked as part of a romance package, we were told ( actually laughed at and then yelled at) that we had to get a particular kind of massage and could not choose any other kind.
Fine. Alright, but the delivery was appalling, especially for a 5 star hotel. It left us feeling stressed and hostile,and I almost didn't even want them to touch me at all.
We calmly explained to the staff that this was unexceptable and that we were there to relax and they actually understood why we were upset with their behaviour and apologized, but at that point the damage was done.

I went to the concierge after to discuss the experience, because, honestly, there were several mistakes with our booking, and told him that we shouldn't be having these kinds of experiences at a 5 star hotel.
We received a bottle of wine. Great.

If I hadn't gotten engaged on this trip to Dubrovnik, I might have wished we skipped it all together...

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CDanielle A
Dear CD Danielle A,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am really sorry to read that our hotel, our decor of the rooms did not meet your expectations. Our hotel was reconstructed in a contemporary modern style and it looks exactly the same as the picture shown on Tripadvisor or our website. I have to agree that the decor,style and color scheme is really up to someones taste.
I am so sorry to read that you were not satisfied with our wellness & spa staff.
As you have booked romantic package which includes 75 minutes classic massages for 2 persons,for hot stone massages reservation in advance is required because stones need to be heaten. Please, accept my sincere appologies for the disappointment caused and feel free to contact me directly as your feedback is very important to us.
Thank you again for taking the time and trouble of providing your feedback. I appreciate your comments and I hope to be able to welcome you back soon to beautiful Dubrovnik.
Berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

The BelleVue is a Wonderful hotel, it is in great position to visit both the old city & the more resort areas of Lapad where the sister hotel Dubrovnik Palace is located. The hotel is set on a cliff face, it does go onto a private beach(pebble beach, there are no sandy beaches in the area) but it has no outside pool, that said that is the only downside. The staff are excellent, as I sit here at the bar on the hotel supplied IPad, Antun is serving me my nightly moijitos, my wife & I have spent 8 nights here, the service is 5 star, the food is great, the restaurant for evening food is slightly more expensive than eating out in the old city but the food is worth it. The bar prices are the same as or in some cases cheaper than restaurants in the city. I just can't explain how helpful the staff are from the concierge, to the bar staff, front of house staff etc. towels are supplied free for the beach, there is free use of iPads at the bar & computers at the reception area. The gym is small, 1 rower, 1 bike, 1 cross trainer & 1 multi station piece of gym equipment. We used the spa, my wife & I had a couples treatment, the treatment staff were also excellent. I just can't get over how helpful all the staff are, if for some reason your not happy or unsure about something just ask. I would recommend this hotel for couples looking to relax with a 5 star service, if you looking for a kiddy club beach hotel this is not for you, like I say 5 star service, the only thing it lacks is an outside pool

Room Tip: We had an executive suite, which is just above mid range, the basic rooms are small, but well equipp...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
luce b, General Manager at Hotel Bellevue Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear Exiles16,
Thank you so much for your nice comments. As you said hotel is standing on the cliff under which one is a pebble/sandy beach. It has only 91 rooms and our task is to deliver excellent service to all our guests. I am so happy to read that you know the names of our staff.Antun is one of our bartender. i am happy that you enjoyed coctails in our Spice bar and food in our restaurant "Vapor". Saša,our Chef will be very happy to hear that you liked the taste of his meals.
It is thrue that hotel has not outside pool, but it has indoor pool and Pebble/sandy beach which is very rare in Dubrovnik.
Thank you once again for your comments and I look forward welcoming you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

We chose this hotel because of the rave reviews of others.

Yes, it is a manageable distance from the old town, yes, the view along the coast was great, and yes, the chance for a dip in the sea in the Croatian heat was much appreciated, but our room was rather dark and plain, and the bar was a bit soulless. The bay is shared with a public beach and water polo area with live music and commentary for much of the day. The walk to town is downhill there but, at 30+ degrees, a hot sweaty uphill walk back, in part along a busy and noisy road. The bus makes a very easy alternative though.
We did not try the restaurant for dinner, preferring to eat in the old town, but enjoyed our two lunches at the beach restaurant.

All in all, it may still have been the best option for us (city hotels often disappoint, and beach hotels out of town aren't ideal either), but we weren't bowled over.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear GJ,
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that you did not have enough light in your room.Our curtains on the balcony windows are heavy and they should be widely opened to get beautiful view on open Adriatic sea and to alloud light to go into the room.
Heavy curtains help to have dark in the room in the middle of the day for those guests who want to have an afternoon nap.
Our location is 15 minutes walk to the old town and I agree that walk in the middle of the day in August when temperatures are over 30oC is not easy, but as you mentioned bus ride is 3-4 minutes and it stops in front of the hotel or taxi for 50 kunas / cca 6-7 Eur/.
I am sorry that you did not try food in our restaurant "Vapor" because our Chef Saša is very enthusiastic young man who prepares very tasty imaginative dishes.
My team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back in "Bellevue" in the nearest future.