“Relax and Enjoy!”

Valamar Dubrovnik President Hotel
Ranked #9 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed at Valamar Dubrovnik Presidential Hotel on our honeymoon and were really happy with our choice. This is a fantastic hotel and the staff were very attentive, friendly and professional, particularly the staff and the front desk and the cleaning staff.

Our room was a ‘romantic room package’ and was positioned towards the top of the cascading levels and right on the very end - providing some spectacular uninterrupted views. Our room was clean, comfortable and very spacious as we had a lounge area and a large front terrace. The hotel has a fantastic wellness centre with four different types of saunas, massages, Jacuzzi and lovely relaxation rooms. This was definitely a bonus, I haven’t seen anything quite like – we loved it!

The hotels private beach area was clean and relaxing; we spent a lot of our time there by the ocean. Day beds and umbrellas were available as well as various water activities. There is a bar/café down at the beach that sells fresh juices, food, alcohol etc. The only thing I found disappointing during my entire stay was the food at this café. My pasta was almost certainly heated up tinned spaghetti. I expected a little more than bottled pasta sauce; I wouldn’t recommend avoiding eating there given the food elsewhere at the hotel was so nice. That aside, it was a nice place to sit and have a drink.

The main restaurant was buffet style and had great variety of delicious food for both dinner and breakfast. There is also a lovely terrace bar in front of the Elafiti restaurant. I would recommend sitting out on the lounges while the sunsets as the views were just spectacular. The food at the Elafiti restaurant was fantastic. One night I had to dine alone as my Husband was unwell and the staff were very kind, loading me up with some fresh fruit for him and were available for anything we needed.

The bus ride to Dubrovnik Old town was a quick ride from a stop conveniently located directly out the front of the hotel. There was also a convenience store up in the main foyer which was very useful given the hotels location just outside of town.

I would highly recommend Valamar Dubrovnik Presidential Hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the end closer to the top for the best views. Romantic Package was good value.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Holly W

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed at Dubrovnik President in June 2012. Lovely hotel and friendly staff. Great for location to old town centre as the bus stopped just outside of hotel. It was always packed but being one of the first on always got a seat. Although we had requested a high room we were given a room on the second floor. The couple we arrived with had not requested this but were given a room on the fifth floor, Don't know how they worked that one out. out. Our room had a problem with the air conditioning so we were given an upgrade a few days later. We had lovely sea views in both rooms . We were half board and could not recommend the food in the restaurant, I like to think that I am adventurous where trying new things out are concerned but there was never much of a selection. The restaurant had lovely views over the sea if you opted to dine on the terrace.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OLWYN55
Valamar_President, General Manager at Valamar Dubrovnik President Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear guests,

thank you very much for sharing your experience with us and I am sorry if everything was not up to your taste.
It's nice to hear you found the staff friendly and you enjoyed the views from your room.

Hoping to see you again next season.

Kind regards from Dubrovnik,

Belinda L. Božanja - Valamar Dubrovnik President general manager

Reviewed 10 November 2013

It is almost unfair to review this hotel due to the fact that it is closing for an much needed upgrade. Therefore my review will focus not on the rooms but the location and staff. This hotel is located with a marvelous view of the water and harbor. It is situated in a complex of hotels with meandering paths on the bluffs above the water. There is a bus stop in front of the hotel with buses leaving every 15-20 minutes. Therefore it is easy to go to the old town of Dubrovnik. In addition you can walk along the well tended paved paths hugging the cliffs to a modern shopping area with banks, clothing shops, grocery stores, restaurants, etc.
I cannot say enough good things about the staff. They were friendly, spoke beautiful English, and addressed any concerns. Also try the restaurant as the selection of food is vast and well prepared.

Room Tip: The lower floors are further from the reception.
4  Thank Suzy B
Valamar_President, General Manager at Valamar Dubrovnik President Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your support.
I am more than happy to hear that you had a lovely holiday and that you where so pleased with our staff and the food of course.

Looking forward to your next stay.

Best regards,

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Although I exchanged e-mails with the Valamar Reservation Center even in the last moments before departure (about the dinner options), they somehow "forgot" to notify me that the hotel would close a couple of days earlier than the end of the period I had booked for...
It only turned out at the reception desk when we arrived, and they said that we would have to move to another hotel some days later. It is not by chance that we wanted to stay at one place for a whole week. So we renounced for spending the two more days in another hotel.
But other problems occured during our stay as well.
A seemingly familiarly behaving stray cat was time to time entering into the lobby bar and even worse to the hotel's restaurant! That is not tolerable for several hygienic reasons and the place would be closed for not respecting sanitary prescriptions in any country with proper sanitary regulations. (I know tha there are too many stray cats in Dubrovnik, but the staff should be more careful about that.)
We booked at the reception desk a buffet dinner for the last evening and we have been waiting for the opening of the reastaurant at the lobby bar, but half an hour later than the normal opening time it was still closed, the thing became suspect, and only when we went to the reception desk that they told us that only the à la carte restaurant would work that evening...
At the first days of our arrival there were fontctioning showers on the beach, but when we went to the beach on the last day and we wanted to take a shower after swimming we saw that the showers and the ladder simply disappeared from the beach! (Several hotel guests were swimming, the sunchairs were there, the hotel's beach bar was open...)
I understand that the hotel prepares for the closure, but they should at least warn the guests _in time_ about the availability or inavailability of some features and not to let the guests discover them shocked on the spot!
I wrote a letter about this to the Valamar Center, but the did not even reply after almost two weeks, so I will not wait for their reply anymore (although I gave them a chance).
I have to tell also that the hotel staff was very kind and helpful, so these critics are concerning mostly the superiors and the Reservation Centre of the hotel chain.

Room Tip: Fifth floor, awesome view.
1  Thank The_Magic_Friend
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Bad: Funicular/Elevator(s) do not work 50% of the time meaning a 5 flight walkup.
Air conditioning was turned off for the entire hotel during a warm and muggy October stay. Management refused to turn it back on, offering us fans which meant sleeping with the windows open and getting insect bites.
Manager kept coming up with lame excuses like I was the only one complaining when there were 30+ people in our group who voiced their complaints.
They are supposedly converting to a 5 star in 2014.
The company owns a better property across the street "Lacroma".

Good: Great public transportation to old city.
Nice beach location.
Excellent breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Higher floors mean less stairs if elevator/funicular not working.
3  Thank Jeff R

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a review.
Your opinion is most important to us, so it makes us sad to hear about the technical problems you had.We have started with the planned investment, so this means completely new elevators and no further problems.
The air-conditioning system was turned off on the customers request, so this autumn period is difficult to please everyones taste. Once again we apologize you did not find the air temperature in the room to your liking.

Hoping this will not stop you from coming to enjoying our completely new product.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 October 2013

It is not real 4 star hotel... too expensive. Room is large, but outdated... in bathroom there are lots of things to fix. There is large terrace in room, but without any privacy...

Staff were nice. Breakfast is rich.

But that is it. Hotel desperately need renovation.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Jelena R

Dear Jelena,

I am sorry to hear that we did not meet you expectations.
Let me inform you that the hotel is beeing renovated completely so I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us once more and I am sure you will not be dissapointed.

Best regards,

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We are just back from a holiday at the Valamar Dubrovnik Hotel celebrating our son's 21st birthday - October 2013. The hotel was lovely. We were in a seaview superior room and the hotel upgraded the other members of our family to two similar superior rooms as they had them available at that time.
We were half board, there was a wide selection of food in the buffet which catered for all tastes... The head Breakfast chef was always on hand to supply you with what you would like, always with a smile, as were the rest of his staff.
The views were magnificant from the balconies/rooms with beautiful sunsets..
The staff were all very friendly and approachable.
We planned a special day for our son's birthday and the reception staff went out of their way to help plan this, with nothing being too much effort.. We would like to give a special mention to Ana Pulic who assisted with all of the preparation of the plans for our son's birthday, she was amazing. Also Jegko Bjelobaba and John Danicic who also helped make our son's birthday an unforgetable experience. As a rule I do not normally go onto Trip adviser making comments however given the help and support from the staff at this hotel I felt it important that others know of our experience, and what to expect from the staff at the Hotel President Dubrovnik.

Sandy Grant

2  Thank Anne G

Dear guests,
A big thank you for these kind words! I remember the staff telling me about your son's birthday and what they were doing to help you make your son's birthday an unforgetable experience.
I will pass on your thanks to Ana, Zeljko and John.
The fact that you normally do not go to Tripadvisor to make comments makes us even more happy and proud.
Hope you will come to celebrate your son's next birthday with us again!

Lots of greetings from all our staff!