We have visited Dubrovnik for a week at the beginning of August 2011 and stayed at the Hotel Argentina. Private airport transfer arranged by the hotel was great, worth the extra EUR 15. We were picked up at the airport and driven by very professional and knowledgeable driver in BMW limousine. He gave us lots of useful information and also history lesson on Dubrovnik which was awesome.
The sea view room on the hotel 6th floor was very clean and overlooking the beautifully kept lush and green gardens as well as Island of Lokrum and Dubrovnik. We would strongly recommend staying in the sea view room and we never felt that we would be missing on something by not staying in sea view room with balcony. The toiletries provided were really nice L ‘Occitan products. The buffet breakfast was served on the terrace with a view of Old Town and there was plenty good food to choose from every morning. I travel for business and often get easily tired from the limited and somewhat repetitive selection in hotels breakfast buffets. This was not the case in GVA. For the lunch we would just climbed few stairs to hotel Beach Terrace restaurant. For dinner there are plenty great options either in Dubrovnik or in the hotel as well. The service at Victoria restaurant was exquisite.
The location of the hotel is great. Approximately 10 minutes casual walk downhill to Old City. It makes for nice every night trip to Old Town for delicious ice cream on Stradun.
We truly enjoyed great swimming in the Adriatic Sea. The private swimming concrete platform with the outdoor salt water swimming pool is overlooking Island of Lokrum and the harbour. The water is crystal clear and ideal for swimming. There are plenty of comfortable sunbeds and free towel set up. The pool area can get busy during the high season and we would recommend securing your sunbed before 10am (YMMV). We liked the fact that food is not served poolside, only drinks and some fruits.
When planning the City Walls walk, get up early to avoid midday sun and the crowds. It is much more enjoyable before 9am, with most of the people showing up after 10am. We could see how the walkways were getting busier and line up at the cashier grew. We also took the boat to Lokrum Island, which was nice, however almost half of the Island was closed to public due to higher risk of fires. We spent about 2 hours there, walking the gardens and left. We did not plan on swimming there. You can buy drinks and food there, but expect premium price.
I would also recommend the cable car trip to the top of the Srd hill. Tickets are available for purchase at hotel reception. No discount though. We went up just before sunset, it was truly magnificent evening. There is an outdoor restaurant with beautiful setting on the top of the hill, were we had a tasteful dinner, which we felt was quite reasonably priced. We even had a bottle of Croatian white wine and with the tip paid just over 400 Kuna ($80).
By now you have an idea about the daily rate you can expect at this hotel. I can say that our room was very nice, we did not feel it would be smaller than what we are used to in North and South American hotels. If something, we were pleasantly surprise that the level of service of this European hotel is truly 5 stars. We felt that with this service, great location and excellent amenities the rate we paid was adequate. Expensive, but reasonable compare to the other hotels in Dubrovnik area. Reception handled our reservation and all request during our stay very professionally. As in the most of the hotels, the in-room bar items, including the water, were quite expensive.
The stay was very relaxing and romantic. We plan to go back soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Villa Argentina is Dubrovnik’s traditional luxury address, combining exclusivity and attention to detail with spectacular views of the sea, backdropped by pine tree-clad mountains. This five-star hotel in Dubrovnik has a regal, old-world charm. Just minutes from the Old Town, it has been an exclusive enclave in the city for nearly 60 years. Sitting on a steep cliffside, leading down to the sea, the views of the Adriatic stretch from the island of Lokrum round to the old harbour of Dubrovnik. As soon as you walk into the hotel reception, the incredible scenery stops you in your tracks. Lush gardens, with stone fences and secluded corners in which to sit, are filled with lemon, wild orange, rosemary, lavender and bay leaf plants – the flavours of a Mediterranean kitchen. Whether you’re sunbathing on the private beach, with its seaside pool, dining on the restaurant terraces or quietly reading your book in the gardens, spectacular scenery follows you wherever you go. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TravelUp, Priceline, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Villa Argentina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Villa Argentina Hotel Dubrovnik
- Grand Hotel Argentina
- Grand Hotel Dubrovnik
- Hotel Argentina Dubrovnik
- Villa Argentina Dubrovnik