“Dubrovnik is not to be missed”

Grand Villa Argentina
Ranked #16 of 67 Hotels in Dubrovnik
North Wales
“Dubrovnik is not to be missed”
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We had delivered Aid during the war and wanted to return to Croatia to see it in peacetime . The hotel appeared to suit our style being well positioned and with good facilities . It is perfectley sited , only a short walk to the Old Town and with stunning views from the public areas and pleasant gardens . An oddity is that it is built upside down as it is on a cliff . For example , we were on the 6th. floor which is at ground level with the rest of the hotel below . The views from the terrace and restaurant are perfect, overlooking the sea, Dubrovnik , the island opposite and the cruise ships which come and go .
Our room was well appointed in classic style but being on a corner had only a part side sea view and was very gloomy . Being close to the road the traffic noise kept us awake late and woke us up early ! Also , when the weather cooled there was no heating which made it uncomfortable at times .
The indoor pool is quite small and was cold . So much so that we only were able to use it twice .
The breakfast served in the Terrace restaurant which opens on to the terrace was extensive but some of the hot food was not . The restaurants were pricey but there are so many good places to eat elsewhere we ate out .
The location is very convenient for the Old Town and the setting perfect . The staff were very courteous and helpful with excellent English which was a great advantage .
Overall this is a good hotel in a beautiful location although it does not match other 5* hotels in which we have stayed . It probably rates a high 4* but I woud recommend it for a stay in Dubrovnik .

Room Tip: Avoid the side facing the road !
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ART300

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Korean first
Poole
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We chose this hotel because we were only visiting for a weekend & wanted somewhere within walking distance to the centre of Dubrovnik.
We also wanted somewhere with spa facilities and nice surroundings to relax

The Grand Villa Argentina ticked every box for us, we were able to walk into town on the Saturday morning, tour the town & the walls, have some lunch in town then come back to the hotel for a massage & relaxation....and then return into town again in the evening....perfect!

Every member of staff we met were lovely & friendly. Breakfast was efficient & good, offering a wide variety of choice. We only ate one other meal at the hotel, in the bar on the evening we arrived. The 'de-luxe burger' is highly recommended!

Thank you Grand Villa Argentina!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Geoffzzzzzz
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We spent a week at the Grand Villa Argentina this month and were blessed with truly beautiful weather in a stunning location. The hotel is only a 10 minute walk to the town and I have to say Dubrovnik Old Town is one of the most stunning places I have ever visited. Beautiful old buildings, a maze of cobbled streets with bars/shops/restaurants and a quaint harbour that is so picturesque. You can eat very reasonably as some of the back-street restaurants, especially the pizza places.

The hotel itself is lovely with friendly staff and a good choice at breakfast - chef cooked me a vegetable omelette on request and it was delicious. We had a sea-view room with balcony and my only disappointment was that on booking.com which is where we made the reservation they showed the balcony to be private with palm trees but in actual fact it looks down over the terrace so is not as private as I had hoped. I asked about this and the photo shown on booking.com is actually the balcony of one of the "Deluxe" rooms so I felt that was misleading and should be altered. My other concern was the lack of air conditioning even though it clearly states this on the hotel's website. In actual fact, they turn it off by the beginning of October and it isn't individual climate control. I was so hot that I didn't sleep well as I need a cool room. I asked for an electric fan but there weren't any so I suggest the hotel get a supply in. On the fifth night a kindly porter actually got his brother to bring a fan over for me and I slept well for the last 2 nights. Thank you to that guy!!

The internet and wifi is free which is impressive!

Do take one of the many boat trips from the harbour! There are several trips on offer and it was breathtaking seeing the coast line from the Adriatic Sea and eating freshly prepared fish on the boat - just pop down to the harbour to ask for details and the price was very reasonable (they even let my 11 year old son go free!)

I will definitely visit Dubrovnik again and I would stay at the Grand Villa Argentina but only if my room was cooler. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and the room was clean but there were crayon marks all over the walls and it looked like the room could do with a lick of paint. More of a 4 star than a 5 star but we did have a very relaxing break.

Oh and just to add - three times I tried to address my concerns with the manager but he was not available. I noticed he always replies to reviews on trip advisor which shows how he cares about people's needs and I would like to say thank you to all the staff.

6 Thank MazBowie1
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 1 November 2011

This is a wonderful hotel, set in a beautiful location with amazing views over the sea and the old town.
We were upgraded on arrival to a sea-view room, free of charge and without asking as the hotel was not busy. The view was amazing and great to wake up to. There were 5 of us and we were put in 3 rooms all together which is always good when you are in a group.
We ate our breakfast on the terrace each morning as the view is stunning. Great choice of food for breakfast, including champagne!
The staff were extremely friendly and accomodating.
The receptionist was extremely helpful in organising an excursion to 3 of the islands for us.
Hope to return one day.

• Liked — The location/facilities
  • Disliked — Size of the room
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We went in October half term which was a great time to go as there were fewer tourists and the weather was still good. The Grand Villa Argentina is a really good hotel. We were upgraded to a seaview as the hotel was not so busy and this really made the break for us. The hotel is very attractive within and outside. The views of old Dubrovnik are second to none. The staff were excellent, really helpful and genuinely attentive without being over the top. The one meal we ate in the hotel restaurant was the best meal we had in croatia, simply delicious. The breakfasts were outstanding. The indoor pool and jacuzzi good. The outdoor pool looked good, but was closed for the winter although we did have access to the area for the stunning views.
We visited the nearby islands with adriatic explorer and had a fabulous day. All in all an excellent visit to Croatia and I recommend the hotel unreservedly.

Room Tip: Sea Views excellent. Terrace has stunning views of old Dubrovnik.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank AvBCambs
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

A beautiful hotel overlooking the Adriatic with wonderful views of Dubrovnik Old Town. A stunning location and so near to the cable car, harbour and the old walls. The sea view from the bedroom was lovely to wake up to. The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant at all times. A great choice for a short break in the last week of October, still very warm and blue skies.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view and to look out towards the Old Town.
1 Thank Palmtrees476
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This is a lovely hotel, albeit with a few niggles. We booked through laterooms.com and were given two lovely rooms, each with a balcony, and adjoining each other as requested. The views from our balconies were super -but I hope the management get rid of the big tree which partially obscures the view of the Old City! This is a pity, as I suspect it's the view which rpompts most people to book a seaview room.
The rooms themselves were an adequate size for us - not the biggest we've had but perfectly acceptable. The beds and towels were changed daily and we found the beds more than comfortable. However, the whole hotel was far too hot- I only thought to ask if the heating could be turned down on departure...! We had the bedroom windows open the entire time we were there, and even then the room was really too hot (conversely, the indoor pool was freezing!!!). The bathrooms were lovely, and supplied with L'Occitane toiletries, which I really enjoyed using (normally I don't bother with hotel toiletries and prefer to use my own, but this wa L'Occitane!).
Service was a little hit and miss - some staff were a bit surly. I appreciate it is the end of the summer seaon, but it did colour our view of the hotel a bit.
The indoor pool area was very nice and we used this almost every day. The pool was freezing most days, but the jacuzzi made up for this. The outdoor pool was still open, but not very clean so we didn't use it, despite the lovely weather.
We only ate breakfast which was very nice. We had a bar meal a couple of nights, which was OK, but I was a bit disapointed that the Victoria was closed - especially as everyone seems to love it! I suspect this is because it was end of season.
Dubrovnik itself is only a 10 minute downhill walk, away, and an easy walk back - you don't needn't bother with a taxi or bus back. We loved the Old City, and thoroughly enjoyed eating out at night - our favourite was the Lanterna, with an ice cream after at Pokliser. We bought the 7 day Dubrovnik card and found this very good value, especially if you plan to visit the various museums and walk the City Walls (a wonderful experience). I'd also recommend the cable car and Homeland War museum in Fort Imperial.
We took a coupleof tours with Amico Tours -highly commended (see my other reviews)
I'd go back to Dubrovnik in a heartbeat, adn woudl defintely condider the GVA again - but not so late in the season.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 5th floor or above with a seaview