“Awesome hotel, if a bit pricey”

Grand Villa Argentina
Ranked #16 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 5 June 2009

Loved the villa argentina, had a really special time there. My only complaint would be the price of the room and food.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,390)

Reviewed 2 June 2009

We went here in a very large group for my sisters wedding and were not dissappointed - it was a fantastic location within walking distance to the old town and had beautiful views over the bay.
The wedding reception was held here and was stunning!
The pool was icy cold which was very refreshing in the mid day sun. (pool is salt water)
The restaurant was great and breakfast (included) was delicous with every kind of fruit, loads of cereals, meats, cheeses, hot breakfasts and much more to choose from! YOu even had free champagne! The views from the restaurant are spectacular as it is on the top floor and overlooks thge old town.
The only suggestion I would make is that if you are travelling with children who require a cot that you should go for the larger rooms as we had to change half way through and the first room we had had no room once the cot was assembled but the second room we had was perfect with lots of space and a balcony with views, giving us much more freedom.
a trip to lokran island is a must whilst you are here!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank gemclover
Reviewed 9 January 2009

Am just catching up with my reviews (18 months later!) We stayed in the hotel Argentina in June 08 for a 2 week holiday.

The location is superb being a short walk from the city walls of Dubrovnik. As some have noted it is is quite a steep walk on the way back but it is only 10 mins and who is in a rush on holiday!

The room was lovely as were most of the hotels interiors, breakfast on the rooftop open air restaurant was simply beautiful - however, would not advise eating in this restaurant (La Caravelle) other than at breakfast time - food TERRIBLE!!
The Victoria Restaurant was a world away from La Caravelle - both food and atmosphere superb, well worth the extra cost.

The pool area is lovely - many happy hours were spent lounging sipping fresh lemonade watching the yachts of the rich and famous and the huge cruise liners.
Would love to go back one day - great base for exploring beautiful Croatia.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2009

We stayed at the Grand Villa Argentina for 3 nights over New Year. We thought we'd splurge a little as it was off season, so we could get a nicer hotel for about the same price you would pay in peak season.

The hotel was lovely, but it was roasting - although it was cold outside, there was no need to have the heating on full blast. There was very little atmosphere there as there were only about 30 people staying in the whole hotel so it was a little quiet. We had a really nice room although we were overlooking the road and not the sea - given that it was so empty, we were surprised that we weren't upgraded as it really wouldn't have hurt them!!!

There are no tea and coffee making facilities in the room and you can't get an iron - you have to use their ironing facilities (at a cost) - something to know about a few hours before you need your ironing - we were a little crumpled as we didn't have a few hours before we went out.

The hotel though, was great and was a nice walking distance into town (up a hill though so save your legs after walking round the walls!!) But I do think that in the summer, this would have been like an ant hill, but then maybe that's when it thrives!!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2008

THE ROOM: My wife and I very much enjoyed our stay in Room 911 of the Villa Orsula building. The double room had a small balcony with an incredible seaward view of Old Town. Though a bit expensive for what should be considered a borderline 4-star room, we splurged for the sake of the honeymoon. The Villa Orsula side seems to have more character than the rest of the hotel. Overall, we were very pleased with the room and would recommend it for the money if you want to be within walking distance of Old Town.

THE POOL AREA: In my opinion, this is the hotel's real strength. The salt water pool is basically carved into the cliff side with a view of Old Town. Though there is no beach, you can jump directly into the sea for a very scenic cliff side swim.

BEWARE OF FRONT DESK: Our only negative experience with the hotel centered around the hotel. When we arrived in Dubrovnik from Split, we took a cab to the hotel from the bus station. The Taxi driver warned us that Hotel Argentina's front desk was the most "corrupt" of the Dubrovnik 5-stars. He specifically warned us not to arrange transportation through the front desk as they were notorious for overcharging and driving guests to incorrect destinations such as restaurants to receive kickbacks for delivering customers. Apparently, we did not take this advice to heart because we fell victim. My wife and I planned to dine at a restaurant named Levenat in Lapad. We went down to the lobby to catch a taxi, but the concierge insisted that they would arrange a car to take us there. We were escorted to the hotel car. We asked the driver if he knew where the restaurant was. He said, "Yes, it is in Lapad." For good measure, I showed him the address and the restaurant's location on a Lonely Planet map. We set out and it became apparent that he was heading to Gruz harbor, and not Lapad. I asked him if he was taking us to Gruz. He assured us that we were going to Lapad (even though it was obvious that we were not). We arrived in Gruz Harbor and he pointed out a restaurant stating that it was Levenat as we drove by. He pull over about a block away to drop us off. He then asked us for the equivalent of $50US for the ride. Nearly positive that we were not in the correct location, I told him that I would report him to the hotel manager if we walked down to the restaurant and found out that this was the incorrect restaurant. He seemed fine with this, took the money, and drove off. We walked down to the restaurant and, low and behold, he had taken us to the incorrect restaurant. In fact, the place was an empty sports bar. Far from the description offered by the Lonely Planet. My wife and I simply laughed and grabbed a Taxi to the correct restaurant which was 15 minutes away. Shortly after we were seated at Levenat, the Hotel driver approached us on the outdoor terrace where we were seated. He told us that he made an honest mistake and did not deserve the money. I agreed that he did not deserve the money. It was all pretty comical. We went on to have a great meal and enjoyed the evening. I would expect far better service from a supposed 5-star hotel. Anyway, unless something has changed since June 2008, I would exercise caution when dealing with the front desk.

OVERALL: Nice hotel. Great views. Great pool area. Close proximity to Old Town. Bad service.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank GloomyWeather
Reviewed 4 November 2008

This is really a beautiful hotel - made up of a main hotel and four smaller villas, we stayed in the main hotel and it was what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. The only down side would be the staff; a little unfriendly and not that helpful, but having travelled in Croatia before I think this is normal!

The view from the reception and bar was one of the best views I've ever seen - simply breathtaking! Sitting on the outdoor terrace, looking out over Lokrum Island and the old town, you just don't want to be anywhere else.

Takes 10 minutes to walk into town - a slight uphill walk back

We stayed during the last week of October and this hotel is really geared for tourists so was practically deserted. Because of this some of the hotel's facilities were closed including the gardens, garden restuarant and the restauarnt in the hotel next door. having spoken to the staff it seems they just make the decision to close based on how many guests they have, so out of season, you're really taking pot luck!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2008

I stayed just one night at the Hotel Argentina whilst on a business trip to Croatia. I had previously stayed at the hotel in May 2005 and enjoyed it so re-booked for this trip.

I had room 711 overlooking the sea but without balcony. The windows were fully opening though and not having a balcony didn't really seem to matter much.

The hotel didn't disappoint although there were a couple of tiny maintenance type issues. Firstly the toilet seat was loose and also the shower screen a little ill fitting causing the water to escape onto the bathroom floor. But the main problem for me was that the air con wasn't working properly. Although the temperature outside was 24degrees the aircon appeared to have been turned off. Cool setting was not available only heat. I gather this is because it is out of Summer season in Croatia. However the room was stuffy without aircon and so I had to open the windows at night and found the mosquitos were still biting so that wasn't a good alternative.

The bed was very comfortable albeit a little soft for my liking. The room was well appointed with all facilties I required including fast internet option through plug in the wall (wireless was payable service).

The hotel breakfast was excellent. Plenty of choice and everything you could want from pastries, fruit, yoghurts etc through to the hot selection including sausages, bacon and eggs. Also if it wasn't available on the buffet table the staff were happy to fix other things eg. poached egg etc.

The hotel has interesting grounds set on many levels going down the cliff edge. There's an indoor and outdoor pool with plenty of sun bathing areas with beds and towels provided - not that I had opportunity to use them!

I can't really fault the hotel because although the aircon didn't work (which was the biggest fault I thought) the hotel staff, facilities and location won me over again. I hope to go back but next time on pleasure and for longer!

Pictures to follow