“Talented, Enthusiastic Animation Staff!!”

Valamar Club Dubrovnik
Ranked #26 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Talented, Enthusiastic Animation Staff!!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel! It's the second time we have visited and we can't wait to visit again. What really makes this hotel and our holiday were the fantastic, enthusiastic & talented Animation staff! All 14 of them! The shows they performed were fantastic! Especially liked the We Will Rock You show.

The Hotel itself is clean, food good although dining area a bit crowded at times!

A very enjoyable Holiday!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sasa V, General Manager at Valamar Club Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guest,
As a hotel manager I couldn't be more thankful for your kind words about the hotel and especially about the animation team. I agree they are fantastic and talented young people who really enjoyed in making your holiday an exceptional experience by doing all variety of daily activates including evening performance. I truly hope you will return and visit us again in near future.
Hotel Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I want to thank the Animation team for a wonderful experience during our stay at Valamar Club. Every day was a joy thanks to them, the activities, the participation and of course, the club dance! The food was great, the staff is really nice and the pool-area is just a paradise.

One special greet to Zvonimir in the Animation team who made our last night unforgettable! I hope to meet you next time! We love you!!!

Love, from Stockholm, Sweden ❤️

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Erika C
Dear Guest,
I can only say it is pleasure to read your positive impressions which I will be delighted to forward to all employees. Also I would like to thank you for taking some time to write your valuable recommendation cause it is truly the best advertisement we can get.
On behalf of all our team, and me personally, we are looking forward to welcome you again in Valamar Club Dubrovnik.
I wish you all the best.
Hotel Manager.
Orebro, Sweden
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Have just returned from this place. Our visit lasted in 13 days.
Before our trip, I hadn't so big expectations, more than some sun and relaxing, but this vacation became ONE OF MY FAVORITE, definitely!
What made our visit at this hotel so fantastic is the staff working there, from reception down to the pool bar - very kind and service minded.
But I must raise one specific part of the staff and that is the ENTERTAINMENT TEAM with their daily activity programs, evening shows and most of all
Their commitment (at least in my eyes) to the role they have. All family members enjoyed it! (We are in the 40-ies and the girls are 9 and 13 years old)
This is the one of the "strongest cards" of this hotel.
The other one is the TASTY FOOD they cook and serve. A broad offer at each meal with a nice local touch. I really enjoyed it!
Free WiFi is available.
A Pool area is large, comfortable (towel service is a plus - ask for towel card at reception) and close to the nice public beach if you prefer the sea.
There is a water park and equipment renting possibilities on the beach.
Availability of the other Valamar facilities in the neighbourhood (spa at Lacroma and terrace at the President - don't miss it! ) is something you shouldn't forget.
The area has a good city bus connection to the old town and a really nice sea side walk (Setaliste Nike i Mede Pucica) on the south side of Lapad peninsula.
And at the end, if you are a cat lover - this will be your paradise.

On my wish list for the next time, because we will probably return, are:
Improved food prep stations. A queuing for a pizza slice and a piece of meat is not OK.
Replaced "all inclusive light" definition with full board - I think it describe your offer much better
Replaced broken and half missing floor quarries in the pool area.
Better wardrobes.

And to retain:

Kindliness and good spirit
Entertainment team and programs
Great food
Cleanliness

See you soon again I hope!!

1 Thank Erol777
Sasa V, General Manager at Valamar Club Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Guest,
On behalf of Valamar Hotels and Resorts and me personally, I thank you for staying in our hotel. I am delighted to read you enjoy the holidays very much especially thanks to hotel staff. Also I thank you for taking time to give such a nice feedback here on Tripadvisor. We highly appreciate your kind recommendation for the improvements and your inputs are being taken seriously in consideration.
We look forward to having you again in our hotel. In the meantime please receive my kind regards.
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Excellent family hotel. We have two teenage boys who we had to drag away from the hotel on day trips because they were having so much fun at various clubs and sports organised by Mario and the animation team. A big thanks to Mario - he was great with our boys and introduced them to lots of other teenagers.

The location is lovely, all elements of the hotel are spotlessly clean and all staff members we encountered were very friendly. Rooms are cleaned every day.

The food was good, we always found something to eat that we enjoyed, but you do need to work out the best time to eat and how to get through the crowds. You may find yourself having to be quite assertive with the young basketball players who can suddenly arrive in droves and eat all around them!

A big thanks to Petra who was very helpful in assisting us to plan some day trips. If you're using the hotel as a base to explore the region, she is the person to speak to! The city walls in the old town are a must-see, and we loved the trips we made to Mostar in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Kotor in Montenegro.

I did go to the Spa at the nearby Lacroma Hotel for a pedicure and I have to say I was very disappointed with the service. It is a beautiful spa but the beauty therapist I dealt with has a lot to learn about putting her customers at ease. A much better option is the massage hut by the pool!

Room Tip: The adjoining family rooms work very well giving adults both space and privacy.
2 Thank Mary_Anne1000
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay, and thank you for sharing such positive impressions with the travelers. I can’t be more thrilled and happier when knowing you had such exquisite holiday and mostly because of the staff. I will personally forward them your kind note you made about their politeness. It confirms they are indeed the greatest value hotel can have. People make difference and thank you for noticing that. I am sorry service in Lacroma didn't match your expectation. I can only say it must have been isolated case because they are professionals and put also great effort to satisfy the guests’ needs on really high standard. I hope if you return will also allow the Lacroma staff to justify these words.
I wish you all the best and we are already looking forward to welcome you back in our hotel.
Kind regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2014

On paper, Valamar Club has everything to be a great resort. Seeing European based reviewers rave about this resort, I am astounded at the low standards they set for a 5 star review.
The most basic all-inclusive in Dominican Republic or Mexico is far superior to Valamar Club.
Location is beautiful, Dubrovnik is close enough by bus and is a must see. The mountains and blue Adriatic, dotted with luxury yachts is a postcard which lures many to this destination.
We had two rooms - simple but very functional as expected. Reception staff are very nice, helpful and courteous.
Food service is a HUGE DIAPOINTMENT; Breakfast is 7:00 to 09:30. No new food is being put out after 9am - if you snoozed, you lost out on anything that was remotely palatable. Food selection is the same, every day. Lunch is 12pm-2:00pm. Food prep stations are slow as anything and do not refill empty trays unless asked to. You want fried eggs for breakfast, better ask for because only scrambles egg beaters are put out to the trays. My daughter waited 15 minutes in line, for a plate of fries. The first 5 people got some, then the cook waited another 10 minutes to put more fries into the fryer. Grilled meat is a disaster here. If you want it edible, you have to stand next to the grill and ask the cook to take off the meat before it turns into tire patching material. We gave up on the chicken, too salted to eat. On days with chicken, there is no other meat. Fruit: blemished Apples, Pears, cotton ball Apricots and similar bruised Nectarines. Tons of cantaloupe and watermelon though.
Grilled fish was ok, if you got some of the unnamed fillets, the rest was herring and smelt.
In between food service times, you can only get food by purchasing it at the poolside snack bar/café. Their hamburger and sandwiches are better than the belly stuffing put out to the buffet.
This is the only "All-Inclusive" which wont give you so much as drinking water unless it is in the food hall and during scheduled meal times.
I was thrilled when the entertainment team announced that they would be having Tennis at 4pm. I spoke with the particular person and told them I would be waiting to play them. I was given a racquet and balls and told to meet the tennis leader at the court. The court turned out to be an aging concrete slab with two courts. One court had a rope stretched between two chairs at net height. The second had the net but all the lines had been worn away. The property does have gorgeous clay courts but they are not for use by the cheaper Valamar Club guests.
The team leader showed up 30 minutes late and asked me if I knew how to play. I said yes and he proceeded to ask me to teach him how to play also. I walked off the court, taking y water bottle which I had to buy because this nickel and dime resort would not give me free drinking water.
The beach is the primary attraction and it is a small rocky one here. Just about all beaches in Croatia are rocky. The water is warm, clean, and the beaches are very cute. The coast is all rocks so water shoes are advisable.
Having spent $2000.00 for 4 days, I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Sea view and Sea Side view rooms on third level are most convenient.
4 Thank Fish_Search_NYC
Sasa V, General Manager at Valamar Club Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for staying in our hotel and like many times before for review you have made about your holiday. I truly regret we didn't meet your expectations. What a pity! I am honestly stunned with your comments because I do think they are not quite realistic. I have obligation towards future guest to give explanation and to disagree in many ways with you. Regarding the food choice and quality we are obliged to maintain the standardized quality of the food in accordance to health legislative laws and with high Valamar standards. In your case this means if you want fried egg you are welcome to ask for it and cook will prepare it „ad hoc“ just the way you like it and of course eggs prepared this way are of the best quality. I disapprove your statement about the fruit which is blemished. Our standards do not allow us to present of offer anything that is not safe for consumption. Our menu is diverse and we try to offer a great healthy palate of food, especially vegetables prepared on several different manners. Food culture in our country is not just fries and hamburgers and we try to bring close to the guests all the Croatian cuisine variety. Also most of our guests prefer cooked meals. This means for lunch and dinner in total we offer beside the grilled food (chicken, hamburger, fish vegetables,) 3 cooked meals, 2 different soups, cooked vegetables….. etc. I am sorry if you misunderstood our hotel offer, but we are not “All – inclusive” hotel but rather “All inclusive light” which means drinks are included while having a meal in the restaurant. On the bars guests have to pay drink consumption. But the tap water in Croatia is drinkable and free of charge. Once again I truly regret we didn’t provide you with service on your satisfaction.
I wish you all the best.

Kind regards,
Forres, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Just spent a wonderful relaxing week here at this stunning hotel. Something for everyone- whether you want to be active or lazy by the pool, it provides a lovely location to choose.The staff have to be recommended for their hard work and friendly manner- the animation team did a brilliant job to entertain us each day and night. The hotel is exceptionally clean and well maintained and I would like to pass on my thanks to all the staff . Hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: even our basic room without balcony did not detract from our overall enjoyment of our stay
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Annie G
Sasa V, General Manager at Valamar Club Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your nice and sincere impressions about your stay in our hotel.
I am very delighted to read you had a wonderful time and that you would recommend us to possible future guests.
It will be our honor to have you back in our hotel if you decide to return to Dubrovnik.
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Good sized, clean room with a balcony and sea view. Definitely worth booking a sea view as the other views are not very inspiring. Pool area is nice and could always find a sun lounger. Food is good but could be more varied. The bus runs regularly into Dubrovnik, we bought a Dubrovnik card which covered 20 bus rides, entrance to the City Walls and some other museums and found that the cost was covered with the Walls and bus rides and was handy to have the card rather than scrabbling for change. Top tip for a seat on the bus is to turn right outside the hotel and then walk through the park from the shopping centre to the bus stop outside the President Hotel as this is where the bus starts from. Was not impressed with Copacabana Beach, much nicer at Lapad or to swim off the rocks along the coastal path from the left hand side of the President.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janembaldwin
Sasa V, General Manager at Valamar Club Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest,

First, I would like to thank you for choosing hotel Valamar Club Dubrovnik for your holiday and for taking few moments of your precious time to make a review on Tripadvisor.
I am happy you had a nice vacation and that you are satisfied with our hotel.
We are constantly doing our best to satisfy guests’ needs and will never stop improving our service, all in order to make memorable experience for you.
I hope we will be able to host you again on your next visit to Dubrovnik

Kind Regards,