“Perfect family hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 66 Hotels in Dubrovnik
United States
“Perfect family hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We really enjoyed staying at this hotel our week passed in the blink of an eye. The food was really great and the sea food was fresh and delicious, the staff was great and the room was comfortable and clean. My (almost) 5 years old boy loved the pool and the playground, but above all the animation team. We didn't use much the pool but the sea at Copacabana beach was great, but you should pay app.15 Euros for beach chairs and shades, which were not in a good shape. The location was very good with easy access to the old town, but the buses were really crowded. We missed the trip to Elafiti islands (included in the price) but maybe next time we’ll go for it.

3 Thank ek k
Sasa V, General Manager at Valamar Club Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Guest,
I sincerely thank you for taking some time to write this fabulous review about our hotel and city of Dubrovnik.
I am truly honored for having you in our hotel and I hope we will be able to host you again on one of your future visit to Dubrovnik. I am sure that visit to Elafiti islands next time will enhance even more your impressions about our region.
On behalf of all staff I send you kind regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from a 5 night stay at the Valamar club, and I would say my experience is mixed. I stayed with a friend and originally ordered a standard double room, which turned out to be a disabled room, after the receptionist insisted we had booked for two adults and one child - (bare in mind my friend and I are certainly not old enough to be having children). Not only did the room smell horribly of damp (room 4043), but the bed squeeked all night and I couldn't get any sleep. The next day a maintainence man couldn't fix it, and only upon the 4th request of changing rooms, were we offered the chance to do so. Fortunately our new room 3059, was lovely and with a balcony.
I want fellow reviewers to know that 'all inclusive light' means food and drink ONLY at specific meal times, allocated throughout the day during two hour slots. Not even WATER was available - anywhere - around the hotel, and a bottle of water worked out to £2.50 a time. When I tried to fill my bottle up during meal times, I was hastily stopped by the guards (waiters) who swarmed me and ushered me to read the 'no taking water into bottles' sign. This was outrageous and surely access to drinking water is a human right in itself. I was very disappointed with this. However, despite these elements (and the food being the same every day and thus was very repetitive), I only have compliments for the superb and enthusiastic animation team that tried really hard to ensure everyone was smiling around the pool and could involve themselves in activities such as water aerobics and enjoy the shows at night. The 'Michael Jackson tribute' was amazing! The waiters are efficient at meal times and the pool is nice with enough sun beds for everyone. The view onto the sea is incredible too. Overall I would rate this hotel 3 stars, and although personally I wouldn't stay again, I do recommend some of it's elements to potentially guests.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
4 Thank jrosey96
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Valamar Hotels and Resorts, and me personally, I thank you very much for staying in our hotel. Your comments are of tremendous importance to us, because in this way we acquire complete picture of the quality level of our services, and they provide us with objectives and directions towards continual improvements.
I feel sorry we didn’t completely meet your expectations in the matter you comment to us. We took this really seriously and we have immediately added the point into our training-program in order to develop our service quality and courtesy up to your total satisfaction.

Looking forward to meet you again.

Kind regards
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel! It's the second time we have visited and we can't wait to visit again. What really makes this hotel and our holiday were the fantastic, enthusiastic & talented Animation staff! All 14 of them! The shows they performed were fantastic! Especially liked the We Will Rock You show.

The Hotel itself is clean, food good although dining area a bit crowded at times!

A very enjoyable Holiday!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sasa V, General Manager at Valamar Club Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guest,
As a hotel manager I couldn't be more thankful for your kind words about the hotel and especially about the animation team. I agree they are fantastic and talented young people who really enjoyed in making your holiday an exceptional experience by doing all variety of daily activates including evening performance. I truly hope you will return and visit us again in near future.
My kind regards
Hotel Manager.
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I want to thank the Animation team for a wonderful experience during our stay at Valamar Club. Every day was a joy thanks to them, the activities, the participation and of course, the club dance! The food was great, the staff is really nice and the pool-area is just a paradise.

One special greet to Zvonimir in the Animation team who made our last night unforgettable! I hope to meet you next time! We love you!!!

Love, from Stockholm, Sweden ❤️

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Erika C
Dear Guest,
I can only say it is pleasure to read your positive impressions which I will be delighted to forward to all employees. Also I would like to thank you for taking some time to write your valuable recommendation cause it is truly the best advertisement we can get.
On behalf of all our team, and me personally, we are looking forward to welcome you again in Valamar Club Dubrovnik.
I wish you all the best.
My kind regards
Hotel Manager.
Orebro, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Have just returned from this place. Our visit lasted in 13 days.
Before our trip, I hadn't so big expectations, more than some sun and relaxing, but this vacation became ONE OF MY FAVORITE, definitely!
What made our visit at this hotel so fantastic is the staff working there, from reception down to the pool bar - very kind and service minded.
But I must raise one specific part of the staff and that is the ENTERTAINMENT TEAM with their daily activity programs, evening shows and most of all
Their commitment (at least in my eyes) to the role they have. All family members enjoyed it! (We are in the 40-ies and the girls are 9 and 13 years old)
This is the one of the "strongest cards" of this hotel.
The other one is the TASTY FOOD they cook and serve. A broad offer at each meal with a nice local touch. I really enjoyed it!
Free WiFi is available.
A Pool area is large, comfortable (towel service is a plus - ask for towel card at reception) and close to the nice public beach if you prefer the sea.
There is a water park and equipment renting possibilities on the beach.
Availability of the other Valamar facilities in the neighbourhood (spa at Lacroma and terrace at the President - don't miss it! ) is something you shouldn't forget.
The area has a good city bus connection to the old town and a really nice sea side walk (Setaliste Nike i Mede Pucica) on the south side of Lapad peninsula.
And at the end, if you are a cat lover - this will be your paradise.

On my wish list for the next time, because we will probably return, are:
Improved food prep stations. A queuing for a pizza slice and a piece of meat is not OK.
Replaced "all inclusive light" definition with full board - I think it describe your offer much better
Replaced broken and half missing floor quarries in the pool area.
Better wardrobes.

And to retain:

Kindliness and good spirit
Entertainment team and programs
Great food
Cleanliness

See you soon again I hope!!

1 Thank Erol777
Sasa V, General Manager at Valamar Club Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Guest,
On behalf of Valamar Hotels and Resorts and me personally, I thank you for staying in our hotel. I am delighted to read you enjoy the holidays very much especially thanks to hotel staff. Also I thank you for taking time to give such a nice feedback here on Tripadvisor. We highly appreciate your kind recommendation for the improvements and your inputs are being taken seriously in consideration.
We look forward to having you again in our hotel. In the meantime please receive my kind regards.
Kilkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Excellent family hotel. We have two teenage boys who we had to drag away from the hotel on day trips because they were having so much fun at various clubs and sports organised by Mario and the animation team. A big thanks to Mario - he was great with our boys and introduced them to lots of other teenagers.

The location is lovely, all elements of the hotel are spotlessly clean and all staff members we encountered were very friendly. Rooms are cleaned every day.

The food was good, we always found something to eat that we enjoyed, but you do need to work out the best time to eat and how to get through the crowds. You may find yourself having to be quite assertive with the young basketball players who can suddenly arrive in droves and eat all around them!

A big thanks to Petra who was very helpful in assisting us to plan some day trips. If you're using the hotel as a base to explore the region, she is the person to speak to! The city walls in the old town are a must-see, and we loved the trips we made to Mostar in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Kotor in Montenegro.

I did go to the Spa at the nearby Lacroma Hotel for a pedicure and I have to say I was very disappointed with the service. It is a beautiful spa but the beauty therapist I dealt with has a lot to learn about putting her customers at ease. A much better option is the massage hut by the pool!

Room Tip: The adjoining family rooms work very well giving adults both space and privacy.
2 Thank Mary_Anne1000
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay, and thank you for sharing such positive impressions with the travelers. I can’t be more thrilled and happier when knowing you had such exquisite holiday and mostly because of the staff. I will personally forward them your kind note you made about their politeness. It confirms they are indeed the greatest value hotel can have. People make difference and thank you for noticing that. I am sorry service in Lacroma didn't match your expectation. I can only say it must have been isolated case because they are professionals and put also great effort to satisfy the guests’ needs on really high standard. I hope if you return will also allow the Lacroma staff to justify these words.
I wish you all the best and we are already looking forward to welcome you back in our hotel.
Kind regards,
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

On paper, Valamar Club has everything to be a great resort. Seeing European based reviewers rave about this resort, I am astounded at the low standards they set for a 5 star review.
The most basic all-inclusive in Dominican Republic or Mexico is far superior to Valamar Club.
Location is beautiful, Dubrovnik is close enough by bus and is a must see. The mountains and blue Adriatic, dotted with luxury yachts is a postcard which lures many to this destination.
We had two rooms - simple but very functional as expected. Reception staff are very nice, helpful and courteous.
Food service is a HUGE DIAPOINTMENT; Breakfast is 7:00 to 09:30. No new food is being put out after 9am - if you snoozed, you lost out on anything that was remotely palatable. Food selection is the same, every day. Lunch is 12pm-2:00pm. Food prep stations are slow as anything and do not refill empty trays unless asked to. You want fried eggs for breakfast, better ask for because only scrambles egg beaters are put out to the trays. My daughter waited 15 minutes in line, for a plate of fries. The first 5 people got some, then the cook waited another 10 minutes to put more fries into the fryer. Grilled meat is a disaster here. If you want it edible, you have to stand next to the grill and ask the cook to take off the meat before it turns into tire patching material. We gave up on the chicken, too salted to eat. On days with chicken, there is no other meat. Fruit: blemished Apples, Pears, cotton ball Apricots and similar bruised Nectarines. Tons of cantaloupe and watermelon though.
Grilled fish was ok, if you got some of the unnamed fillets, the rest was herring and smelt.
In between food service times, you can only get food by purchasing it at the poolside snack bar/café. Their hamburger and sandwiches are better than the belly stuffing put out to the buffet.
This is the only "All-Inclusive" which wont give you so much as drinking water unless it is in the food hall and during scheduled meal times.
I was thrilled when the entertainment team announced that they would be having Tennis at 4pm. I spoke with the particular person and told them I would be waiting to play them. I was given a racquet and balls and told to meet the tennis leader at the court. The court turned out to be an aging concrete slab with two courts. One court had a rope stretched between two chairs at net height. The second had the net but all the lines had been worn away. The property does have gorgeous clay courts but they are not for use by the cheaper Valamar Club guests.
The team leader showed up 30 minutes late and asked me if I knew how to play. I said yes and he proceeded to ask me to teach him how to play also. I walked off the court, taking y water bottle which I had to buy because this nickel and dime resort would not give me free drinking water.
The beach is the primary attraction and it is a small rocky one here. Just about all beaches in Croatia are rocky. The water is warm, clean, and the beaches are very cute. The coast is all rocks so water shoes are advisable.
Having spent $2000.00 for 4 days, I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Sea view and Sea Side view rooms on third level are most convenient.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Fish_Search_NYC
Sasa V, General Manager at Valamar Club Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for staying in our hotel and like many times before for review you have made about your holiday. I truly regret we didn't meet your expectations. What a pity! I am honestly stunned with your comments because I do think they are not quite realistic. I have obligation towards future guest to give explanation and to disagree in many ways with you. Regarding the food choice and quality we are obliged to maintain the standardized quality of the food in accordance to health legislative laws and with high Valamar standards. In your case this means if you want fried egg you are welcome to ask for it and cook will prepare it „ad hoc“ just the way you like it and of course eggs prepared this way are of the best quality. I disapprove your statement about the fruit which is blemished. Our standards do not allow us to present of offer anything that is not safe for consumption. Our menu is diverse and we try to offer a great healthy palate of food, especially vegetables prepared on several different manners. Food culture in our country is not just fries and hamburgers and we try to bring close to the guests all the Croatian cuisine variety. Also most of our guests prefer cooked meals. This means for lunch and dinner in total we offer beside the grilled food (chicken, hamburger, fish vegetables,) 3 cooked meals, 2 different soups, cooked vegetables….. etc. I am sorry if you misunderstood our hotel offer, but we are not “All – inclusive” hotel but rather “All inclusive light” which means drinks are included while having a meal in the restaurant. On the bars guests have to pay drink consumption. But the tap water in Croatia is drinkable and free of charge. Once again I truly regret we didn’t provide you with service on your satisfaction.
I wish you all the best.