“Place is a dump and they hate anyone who speaks English”
Review of Hotel Vis

Hotel Vis
Ranked #59 of 67 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Tripadviser
“Place is a dump and they hate anyone who speaks English”
Reviewed 12 July 2011

The only thing good about this hotel is its view. The staff are absolutley dreadfull at reception and especially in the restaurant in the mornings when having breakfast. The staff at breakfast actually made tea/coffee for themselves whilst peole where still getting theres and they always remarked that the problem is english speaking tourists whilst drinking there tea.....so so rude. The breakfast variety of food at breakfast is sparse, chocolate mousse and the fruit looked like it was found in the nearest bins of another hotel. The reception staff Frano and his sidekick were hordenous, they give the worst rooms to the english tourists first then each time your not happy they keep moving you til you actually get a decent room, something to what the picture looks like on there website, those rooms are to the left of the building so if your given a room on the right dont even bother looking at it go straight back to reception and change it, mould on lampshades!!!!! They have no mini bar or ironing facilities at this hotel and you cant get an iron any time after 12oclock!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HolidayHottie20

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fagagna, Italy
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I read the other reviews about the hotel being 'old fashioned' and a little dated but decided to take a chance anyway. I was decently content with the decision to stay here. The room was clean, the balcony with the ocean view was the selling point. Breakfast was moderately attraction, lunch at the restaurant was just ok and I did not partake in the dinner buffet, I was more interested in seeking out local restaurants that had better options in Old Town. The bus to Old Town is convenient, it is right across the street and the tickets are cheaper at the front desk of the hotel instead of buying them on the bus. I walked to Old Town in about 45 minutes and it is a pretty walk, also safe with lots of sidewalks. I had trouble printing my boarding pass and instead of having to keep paying to use the computer in the lobby to access the website (just to find out the server was still down) two of the receptionists let me use the computer behind the desk or checked for me, this was very kind until the manager yelled at one of them and at me and told me I had to pay each time. I found this a little brash and rude, he had zero understanding of the situation and was less than at all compassionate. The housekeeping staff was exceptional and extremely accommodating, in the event that I had lost something from my room, they did everything they could to find it and although their efforts were unsuccessful, they still made an effort and I appreciated this. The beach was really nice, you have to pay for the chairs but they are reasonable, it is about 5euro, and it is really nice to have the beach right outside the door. I had mixed feelings coming home from this trip about if I really did enjoy it and feel it was worth it, I am still deciding...

Room Tip: Go for the room with the balcony and ocean view
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank FlyInMyShoes
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Stayed here for a couple of nights as a long weekend with my partner, read the reviews so was choosing for the veiws and lcoation and hoping everything would be ok. Which, in general, it was.

The reception staff were perfectly fine (young man checkin/out was helpful and polite, older woman was stern but helpful with advice and curtious), same with cleaners and breakfast staff.
The room was very clean and tidy, we paid for a sea view room and the view did not disappoint! It was gorgeous to stand on balcony during daytime or at sunset! However it was a bit old fashioned, the furniture basic and nothing special. Bathroom was newly fitted however and very clean and functional if not a bit small.
Was very easy to catch the bus from Old Town to Hotel and vice versa and it is so close. Buy your tickets from the hotel, much cheaper than buying on the bus, and if the hotel runs out, try another hotel!
Only problem we really had was the neighbouring hotel, we arrived Saturday and having been up super early we decided to get a short nap in however there was loud pop music being played all day time from the hotel next door. That night they either had a private party or just a very loud disco which i *think* involved kareoke (at least I hope so otherwise they're live music was rubbish!). Even with all our windows shut (which id rather not do - air con was fine but id prefer a fresh breeze off the sea) it was still loud and woke me up STILL GOING AT 4.30AM! There was no problem any other night, although the walls of the hotel are thin so balcony doors and room doors can be heard clearly and the cleaning staff start early....7.30am I was woken up to the sound of hoovering and trolly movements.
Breakfast is plentiful....but not particulary brilliant. Hot and cold items but not of the best quality.
We paid little for this hotel compared to any others available for the weekend, and I get the feeling less than other reviewers as I consider it value for money, so I am not disappointed and we werent expecting the Ritz, the view really was lovely, our holiday was lovely and I just caught up with sleep when I got back instead!

Room Tip: Do get a seaview room, it really is worth it.
6 Thank Kat M
England
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Best thing this Hotel has against many in the area is its position on the sea shore. For the price we paid for half board it is great value for money. Go for a sea view if possible, we didnt and as hotel was full we couldnt upgrade. The room we had was quite big and the shower was better than my power shower at home. Bed was a proper kingsize not two pushed together, everything spotless. Telly crap but who goes on holiday to watch TV.
Food is average to good, plenty of it.
Best walk is turn right at beach and follow round the whole penisula, stop at the Hotel More for lunch which did a superb meal and is were I would stay if I could afford it, and were to return to Dubrovnik.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must.
2 Thank John6000
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Arriving DBV, Gulliver Travel offers shared shuttle transfers at reasonable EUR13 (taxi can easily cost you EUR35-40).
Situated in Lapad bay- approx 10. mins drive to Pile Gate (Old Town Dubrovnik)- tickets from front desk are KN8- stop right across from hotel. Easy & convenient.
Hotels has a pebble beach, a lovely terrase for drinks, bar and restaurant. Breakfast & dinners has a good selection of foods and tasty too indeed. Drinks are on the pricey side as everywhere in Croatia.
In the lobby you will find free wifi for your laptop, or pay-pc. You can buy your excursions in the lobby by a local provider and their prices are better than ordering from the net.
Rooms are clean, have balcony (seaview extra cost), bathtub, aircondition and telly with programmes in croatian, english, italian, spanish, german- reception not very good though. Towels changed daily, linnen a few times during the week.
Please note that hotel is a bit down from the streetlevel- it means stairs- and no elevator at the hotel (if you have problems carrying your luggage or do stairs).
I found most staff at the Vis hotel to be very friendly and helpful indeed and i do recomend this hotel to everyone- just remember it is a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Aeronaut65
England
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We chose this hotel because it was the second cheapest we could find in any of the package deals. I wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised!

The hotel staff were all very helpful and friendly. The bus that drops you off outside the door is very convenient. Top tip - you can buy bus tickets from reception for cheaper than they cost on the bus.

We had one of the cheap rooms, on the ground floor facing the 'park'. It was nice and clean. It didn't have a fridge or tea and coffee making facilities but it was very comfortable, the showers were lovely and powerful and there was a nice big bath.

We were B&B and there was enough choice for breakfast that anybody would be able to find something they liked. I'm not sure I'd want to be stuck there for all my meals but the general quality of cuisine in and around Dubrovnik is pretty poor so the only thing you would be missing out on if you were all inclusive would be a change of scenery!

One of the best bars we went to anywhere in the area was the hotel's own terrace bar. It has an outstanding view of the sea and its well worth getting a front of terrace seat and a cocktail at sunset.

We went in May, out of season. It was warm enough to sunbathe and swim in the sea (as long as you got your shoulders in quick)! Everything was a bit quiet which worked in our favour. I can imagine there being quite a lot of queing, standing up on the bus and waiting for service in the height of the season.

If you like walking, there are a couple of nice little routes, one up to the top of the hill at the back of the hotel - out of reception, turn right up the road and follow your nose up some through forest tracks. The other is to walk out of the back towards the beach, turn right and follow the peninsular around to the Harbour, then head back up the road to the top of the main Lapad drag and back down to the beach. Both have got some lovely views. The second is really nice at sunset and the footpath is street lit all the way round.

1 Thank amjac
sussex girl
Reviewed 4 November 2010

the room we stayed in was quite small but nice and clean .linen and towels changed dailyby our very friendly housemaid.a good selection of food on offer for dinner.anyone that moans about it must live in great luxury thats all i can say.good selection for breakfast and always greeted by smiling staff.only thing ,is the fact that is a lot of stairs to climb but didnt mind that too much,even though i was slightly disabled at the time of our holiday.stones throw from beacheven the rain didnt put us off as it is a lovely location and i would certainly go back again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple