“Perfect location, perfect service, we plan to stay again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Vis

Hotel Vis
Ranked #58 of 66 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Sydney, Australia
“Perfect location, perfect service, we plan to stay again!”
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Arrived very early in the morning, straight off the ferry from Italy and we were greeted by wonderful service from Hotel Vis. They showed us straight up to our room (highly recommend a sea view room!), and then we hit the beach which is literally right out the back door of the hotel!

The beach is wonderfully tranquil and I happily stayed on it for a whole day, just ducking up to the terrace restaurant for lunch and a few drinks. You do need to pay for a chair and umbrella on the beach if you would like some comfort - but I found it very reasonable if you intend to stay for the day.

The location of this hotel is ideally suited - you have the beach right out the front, Lapad Bay strip full of restaurants and bars if you dont feel like venturing far for dinner and the Old City of dubrovnik is only a short cab or bus ride away if you want to head in for sightseeing.

The tour we booked through the hotel was fantastic as well and very reasonably priced. (We would also recommend this, it was the 3 island tour - lots of fun and lots to see!). A special mention must be made to the wonderful reception staff - especially Brano - they were always super friendly to deal with and very accommodating for any requests.

We would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it to anyone else wanting to make their trip to Dubrovnik a memorable one!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank missey102

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 22 July 2011

The hotel is perfectly located just outside of Dubrovnik - with incredibly easy bus service to the city center. Less than a 10 minute ride, and the bus literally stops in front of the hotel. The staff were friendly, but after that, one wonders.... The number of stairs is amazing. No lift - so lots of hauling of luggage. There were no towels for the hotel's private beach. In addition, it is an additional 10 euros per day per person to use the sun chairs or umbrellas. There was trash on the beach - even in the early morning, that had not been cleaned up. The room itself was very simple - nothing to write home about. I would argue that this is not good value for money.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jcrane66
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Very nice 3* hotel, clean, good service, plenty of tasty food, bus station in front of the hotel and most important the location in front of the sea.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Tripadviser
Reviewed 12 July 2011

The only thing good about this hotel is its view. The staff are absolutley dreadfull at reception and especially in the restaurant in the mornings when having breakfast. The staff at breakfast actually made tea/coffee for themselves whilst peole where still getting theres and they always remarked that the problem is english speaking tourists whilst drinking there tea.....so so rude. The breakfast variety of food at breakfast is sparse, chocolate mousse and the fruit looked like it was found in the nearest bins of another hotel. The reception staff Frano and his sidekick were hordenous, they give the worst rooms to the english tourists first then each time your not happy they keep moving you til you actually get a decent room, something to what the picture looks like on there website, those rooms are to the left of the building so if your given a room on the right dont even bother looking at it go straight back to reception and change it, mould on lampshades!!!!! They have no mini bar or ironing facilities at this hotel and you cant get an iron any time after 12oclock!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HolidayHottie20

Travellers are raving about these Dubrovnik hotels

Fagagna, Italy
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I read the other reviews about the hotel being 'old fashioned' and a little dated but decided to take a chance anyway. I was decently content with the decision to stay here. The room was clean, the balcony with the ocean view was the selling point. Breakfast was moderately attraction, lunch at the restaurant was just ok and I did not partake in the dinner buffet, I was more interested in seeking out local restaurants that had better options in Old Town. The bus to Old Town is convenient, it is right across the street and the tickets are cheaper at the front desk of the hotel instead of buying them on the bus. I walked to Old Town in about 45 minutes and it is a pretty walk, also safe with lots of sidewalks. I had trouble printing my boarding pass and instead of having to keep paying to use the computer in the lobby to access the website (just to find out the server was still down) two of the receptionists let me use the computer behind the desk or checked for me, this was very kind until the manager yelled at one of them and at me and told me I had to pay each time. I found this a little brash and rude, he had zero understanding of the situation and was less than at all compassionate. The housekeeping staff was exceptional and extremely accommodating, in the event that I had lost something from my room, they did everything they could to find it and although their efforts were unsuccessful, they still made an effort and I appreciated this. The beach was really nice, you have to pay for the chairs but they are reasonable, it is about 5euro, and it is really nice to have the beach right outside the door. I had mixed feelings coming home from this trip about if I really did enjoy it and feel it was worth it, I am still deciding...

Room Tip: Go for the room with the balcony and ocean view
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank FlyInMyShoes
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Stayed here for a couple of nights as a long weekend with my partner, read the reviews so was choosing for the veiws and lcoation and hoping everything would be ok. Which, in general, it was.

The reception staff were perfectly fine (young man checkin/out was helpful and polite, older woman was stern but helpful with advice and curtious), same with cleaners and breakfast staff.
The room was very clean and tidy, we paid for a sea view room and the view did not disappoint! It was gorgeous to stand on balcony during daytime or at sunset! However it was a bit old fashioned, the furniture basic and nothing special. Bathroom was newly fitted however and very clean and functional if not a bit small.
Was very easy to catch the bus from Old Town to Hotel and vice versa and it is so close. Buy your tickets from the hotel, much cheaper than buying on the bus, and if the hotel runs out, try another hotel!
Only problem we really had was the neighbouring hotel, we arrived Saturday and having been up super early we decided to get a short nap in however there was loud pop music being played all day time from the hotel next door. That night they either had a private party or just a very loud disco which i *think* involved kareoke (at least I hope so otherwise they're live music was rubbish!). Even with all our windows shut (which id rather not do - air con was fine but id prefer a fresh breeze off the sea) it was still loud and woke me up STILL GOING AT 4.30AM! There was no problem any other night, although the walls of the hotel are thin so balcony doors and room doors can be heard clearly and the cleaning staff start early....7.30am I was woken up to the sound of hoovering and trolly movements.
Breakfast is plentiful....but not particulary brilliant. Hot and cold items but not of the best quality.
We paid little for this hotel compared to any others available for the weekend, and I get the feeling less than other reviewers as I consider it value for money, so I am not disappointed and we werent expecting the Ritz, the view really was lovely, our holiday was lovely and I just caught up with sleep when I got back instead!

Room Tip: Do get a seaview room, it really is worth it.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Kat M
England
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Best thing this Hotel has against many in the area is its position on the sea shore. For the price we paid for half board it is great value for money. Go for a sea view if possible, we didnt and as hotel was full we couldnt upgrade. The room we had was quite big and the shower was better than my power shower at home. Bed was a proper kingsize not two pushed together, everything spotless. Telly crap but who goes on holiday to watch TV.
Food is average to good, plenty of it.
Best walk is turn right at beach and follow round the whole penisula, stop at the Hotel More for lunch which did a superb meal and is were I would stay if I could afford it, and were to return to Dubrovnik.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple