“Design with a Capital D & fabulous staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Dubrovnik

Villa Dubrovnik
Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Dubrovnik
London, United Kingdom
“Design with a Capital D & fabulous staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

As hotel & spa designers we are very very fussy, but loved the villa Dubrovnik!
Great location , beautiful design and comfortable rooms, and amazing food.
But the thing that sets it a cut above most 'Design Hotels' is the warmth of the staff and great service consistently delivered from the concierge to the reception staff, the waiters and even the chamber maid! Love the uniforms too - white chinos with blue silk blazers- very dashing!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear Guests,
It is such a honor to have compliment like this to the hotel's design right from the hotel&spa designers! We are all so flattered with your review and I would like to thank you for recognizing it. What I liked even more is your nice words for our staff; they are doing everything to keep our quality of service up the level on which this kind of hotel has to be.
Thank you very much! I hope that you will have another opportunity to come in Dubrovnik and visit us in our Villa Dubrovnik again!

Mirna Lončar Stražičić

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

just loved croatia , the people , dubrovnik , villa dubovnik
the staff couldnt be more helpful and friendly the rooms and services where great
free access sauna`s and a lovely pool and great swimming in sea
we ate in the restaurant and the food was really nice
rooms are lovely and balcony is great with good views
in short everything i would expect from a hotel of this price
even thou my lovely lady and i pushed the boat out to pay for it
we both believe it was worth it
only 10min walk form old town it is located in a nice quite area
would definatly want to stay again (almost need to stay again ) :))))
cant find fault ,if you get a chance stay at this hotel
6 stars :)))))

Room Tip: i reckon even the boiler room is lovely :)))) higher levels may have less view obstruction from tre...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mirna L, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Dear Ben,
your review is really flattering and we are all very happy and honored that we satisfied all your needs and wishes and that you had so nice time in our Villa Dubrovnik!
Your comments are „music to my ears“ and of course to my staff becaue we want our quest to have incredible moments and rememberings. Thank you for making me proud.
It would be my great pleasure to welcome you again here with us in Villa Dubrovnik!

Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

i stayed four nights last week at the villa dubrovnik and is very impressed with both the property and the service. i dont usually like modern decor but this was done very elegantly. the property cannot be better situated with an absolutely stunning view of old town dubrovnik. i would not recommend staying in the old town itself as it can be a bit hectic but the villa dubrovnik is simply perfect. very close to the old town and yet tranquil. my room has an absolutely gorgeous view. the food was simply wonderful. the service was top notch which is something i did not quite expect so great job. the water in front of the hotel is simply divine. the only complaint would be the pillows can be a bit softer i think. the rooms could be a tad noisy, sound insulation is not perfect and with just 40 rooms i think the hotel might wish to adopt the aman system of remembering the guest's name and their orders and not running after the guests to sign the bill with every single order which can be quite annoying at times. as i said the hotel is small enough and the guests aren't running away anytime soon. in this respect the hotel can improve on its sophistication. the air conditioning when on can make a bit of irregular noise but i have zero noise tolerance so. other than that, it's quite perfect.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rubyyao
Dear Mrs.Yao,
I am very thankful for your review, and so glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us. What I like the most in your review are compliments to our staff and service. That is very nice to hear and we are trying keep them professional and well trained. Location is the main advantage of this beautiful hotel; peace and tranquility overlooking the Old town, really something very special, and we are so honored with that.
As per the pillows we do have different options of pillow upon request because we know how is the dream valuable to us. As per the sound installation so far we didn’t have any kind of that comment but would definitely look at through and see what we can do about it.
Our main service is to please our guests and do not want to be irritating but we do know our guests names and per suggestions about the Aman system we will definitely see what we can do about it.
I would definitely like to host you again in our Villa!
Kind regards,

Fort Lee, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

The staff was only to eager to please....and everyone was dressed in beautiful linen blazers...the smiles were genuine, the kindness too! So, the first impression is what a fantastic staff Villa Dubrovnik has...then you see this gorgeous hotel, this vision built into the side of a cliff...the views are spectacular, the rooms large and comfortable and elegant...the art modern and fitting...then you go to the restaurant. OH! The chef is inspired! I was caught in a down pour walking back from town, soaked, miserable...I cleaned up in my room and decided to have lunch at the hotel...fabulous! The shrimp salad tantalizes you with sushi grade ginger and avocado...the croatian chardonnay is complicated and full bodied...I was in heaven. Dinner turned out to be even better...the sea bream stuffed with sun dried tomatoes is a taste sensation I want to experience again. I will return...the restaurant is well worth it. I ate in many places recommended by FODORS and Rick Steves...nothing was as good as the restaurant in Villa Dubrovnik...with the amazing view of town as the sun slowly disappeared in the sea. Breakfast is the best...just so perfectly done. Was I comfortable? Absolutely! Were my needs attended to? Yes. Was there a lovely spa and gym and pool? Of course! And, it is out of town, so the peace and quiet of nature surrounds you. I cannot speak highly enough of Villa Dubrovnik!

Room Tip: 3rd and 4th floor rooms have the best views....but, all rooms are just so well done.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank cathysterling
Mirna L, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear guests,
I am very thankful for your kind words, and so pleased that you spent nice holidays with us in our Villa Dubrovnik! It is such honor for all our team, high encourage for all of us! I would definitely like to meet you and host you again in our Villa!
Hope to see you soon. Anything that you will need I stay at your disposal.

Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

The water at the "beach" is incredibly clear and so easy to swim in. The beach itself is made from the large rocks at the bottom of the cliff with concrete poured to fillin the gaps - it doesn't sound beautiful but it is spectacular. The hotel itself is beyond first class. Super friendly staff, amazing food, great bar, great pool - amazing lunch on the patio.

The boat into town is always great but it's also only 10 minutes to walk. I can not say enough good things about this wonderful hotel

Room Tip: They have Garden Rooms - but I can't imagine not wanting to look out over the beautiful bay and...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Andrew B
Mirna L, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Dear Mr.Andrew,
your review is very kind and I would like to thank you for that. I am so glad that you had nice weather so you could enjoy our beach and swimming. It is really amazing and calming, simply relaxing overlooking the Old Town from every corner. All Villa Dubrovnik team kindly appreciates your kind words. I would definitely like to host you again in our beautiful Villa Dubrovnik!

Mirna Loncar Strazicic
Reading
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

The hotel is set in a peaceful location and set in to a cliff face. From the road, you wouldn't think a hotel was there, as all you could see is a metal grilled box, which the lift hides behind. Once you get downstairs you enter the reception from an outside lounge area. The reception is minimalistic with clean cut lines.

We stayed in a superior room which had a fantastic sea view from the balcony. There was a massive bed, desk/dressing table area, ample wardrobe space and overall nicely and simply decorated. The bathroom is separated from the main bedroom by glass walls, but to preserve modesty, there was a black out curtain that could be pulled across. As we are a couple, there wasn’t much concern, but for those that are simply sharing a room then privacy could be an issue even with the curtain pulled across. The bath was either half or 3 quarters the size of a standard bath and the shower was poor. Instead of a wall mounted power shower, it was actually a handheld unit that seemed to fire off in a weird direction. The toilet and Bidet is tucked away and a little more private. Toiletries were Bvlgari and plentiful.

As mentioned. The rooms were very nice, but I do believe there is a design flaw....if a room as a fantastic view, which it did, then firstly face the bed looking out to the view. Secondly, the balcony and view were accessed through double french doors...........in my opinion (even though I am not a designer) the wall should of been floor to ceiling glass with bi fold doors...such a waste.

Breakfast in the hotel was good. Based on a buffet there was a hot and cold selection, meets, fish, fruit and pastries. You could sit either in or outside.

There is a roof top bar called the "Sky bar" which was chilling.

Service in the hotel is ok, but slow......which I think is mainly down to the reception staff hanging around and chatting too much.

A couple of annoying niggles. On the first night we unpacked and wanted to iron a couple of creased clothes, but there was not an ironing board or iron. I called through reception and they advised that such things were not supplied by the hotel. The only option would be to speak to housekeeping and request for their chargeable ironing service. This, in my opinion is poor, as we didn’t have time to wait and wanted to do it there and then.

My wife and I had a massage in the spa, which was pleasant and not too expensive.

The hotel doesn’t have a beach, but there are sun beds positioned on flattened rock areas, which are private and really chilling with the sounds of the sea just below you.

The hotel runs a shuttle bus and boat to the old town every hour. We never used the boat service, but did use the bus which was always on time.

If I were to travel to Dubrovnik again, I would most probably stay at the Villa Dubrovnik. Croatia is beautiful, the old town is interesting and people are friendly. I wouldn’t say it is family orientated or would have enough to keep the children entertained, but would be nice for a weekend away for a couple. The place is even more interesting when you consider what the country had been through.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jabe100
Dear Mr.Jason,
We really appreciate your kind review and are flattered with your interest in coming back in Villa Dubrovnik. I would like to thank you for some of the comments which are appreciated a lot and let me give you our feedback regarding this. I just need to comment since you were the part of bigger group exceptionally buffet breakfast was served because our other clients enjoy our A’ la carte breakfast. As per the iron board we do not offer that kind of service in our hotel due to the our standard procedures and Croatian law legislation and that was marked in all the rules and all the information inside of your room, so that is the reason why my staff could not give you this kind of service. Regarding the slow service of my reception staff I will definitely look deeply in to it and if needed take adequate actions.
I really do appreciate everything stated. We like to have the comments of each and every of our quest because then we can check what happened, and if it is true to actually work on it to not happen again.
There would be my great pleasure to host you again in our Villa Dubrovnik.
Kind regards, Mirna Loncar Strazicic
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

We chose this hotel because we wanted to be close but not too close to Dubrovnik which we had heard is a must see for every cruise ship plying the crystal blue waters of the Adriatic. This is worth consdering because there are some good hotels in the centre of town, notably the Pucic Palace and The Hilton. We chose wisely! Dubrovnik is heaving with tour parties during the day and is much quieter by night and if you are located too close to the centre of the action this could prove tiresome. Villa Dubrovnik is ultra modern in design, lots of glass, natural stone and stainless steel and is glued to the rocks overhanging the sea about three quarters of a mile from the entrance to the historic harbour. It's a ten minute gentle walk into town or you can go in the rather elegant launch moored at the hotel landing stage. The staff are a credit to the owners and even though some reviewers have been critical of the food we were very impressed with the restaurant and enjoyed an excellent dinner. Breakfast is a little odd as it is waitress service only and we had one or two minor communication problems but nothing beyond the mildly amusing. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, very well equiped and all have the most amazing views over the sea from glass fronted balconies. We were impressed with the ramps and lifts that make all areas of this hotel easily accessible for wheelchair users even right up to the sky bar which is perched on the roof and is the ideal place to watch the sunset over the ancient stone walls of Dubrovnik.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the sea on the south side. Also if you like a good shower make sure your bathr...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Richard G
Dear Mr. Richard,
I would like to thank you for your kind review, and I am so happy that you spent some nice time with us in our Villa Dubrovnik! Location of this hotel is one of the most important advantages, it is not too far for walking to the Old town, and still it is located in very quiet and peaceful area. Hotel is renovated 2 years ago, and design is really modern with all new furniture. I am happy that you have been enjoying our Sky bar, which is really something special; sitting on the top, overlooking the Old Town and island of Lokrum. Thank you for your compliments regarding our staff; we are always trying to keep them professional, but it is good to have some extra training for them, even in language area, so thank you for mentioning communication problems, that is definitely something where we can do some changes to improve their service.
I hope you will have opportunity to visit us again!
With my best regards, Mirna Loncar Strazicic