“Stunning”

Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Paris, France
“Stunning”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed for 3 nights during our honeymoon. Everything was perfect : from the arrival, with the very friendly staff at the reception and the magnificent views and design of the hotel, until our departure many hours after our check out - as the hotel kindly let us stay as long as we wanted on that last day so we could enjoy the beach - and everything in between.

The front desk was ever so helpful and kind - Roberto took very good care of us. Our room was fantastic. We were upgraded because it was our honeymoon and that meant we had a jacuzzi on the balcony. We had a beautiful view of the sea and Lokrum. Everything was top-notch - bed, balcony, bathroom, even the TV if you care about it. Every day, we found chocolates and flower petals on the bed when we came back to our room after spending some time outside. Very romantic.

The breakfast was fabulous. It was included in the price and they let you order everything you want. There is a great variety, with a selection of fruits, cheeses, meats, eggs, cereals, bread, jams, pastries, all the hot drinks, and everything is delicious. We wanted to try something new every day and were not disappointed. They serve the breakfast in the restaurant outside, a very nice spot in the morning with a view towards the sea and towards the old city.

We did not try the restaurant at other times, except at the private beach where we ordered twice (burger, steak sandwich) and found that it was good and not too expensive.
The private beach was wonderful. It is rocks and concrete indeed, in pure local fashion, but they managed to make it look good. The area is very quiet and very relaxing, with confortable sun loungers. The water is very clear and you can see all the way to the bottom. Swimming there is such a treat.

And then from the private beach there is a boat shuttle service to the old city every hour. A beautiful venitian vaporetto takes you there, and back, in about 5 minutes each way. A very comfortable way of coming and going!

We also tried the sky bar, at the top of the hotel, with stunning views from the high chairs and delicious cocktails.

I could go on for hours but the bottom line is that we had a truly memorable stay at Villa Dubrovnik. We generally do not spend that much money on hotels but still we felt it was well worth it. If you can afford it, don't think twice, this is the place.

Room Tip: Obviously, a room facing the sea is a must, and/or facing the old city
2 Thank Ferdinand P
, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear Ferdinand,
Thank you very much for your nice review. I am really glad that you enjoyed your honeymoon in Villa Dubrovnik and as you told, that you had memorable stay in our hotel. I am really proud as GM to see that we are doing good job and running this hotel on high level. I am also so proud on all of my staff because they are very important part of our success.
I hope you will have opportunity to visit us again and we will make sure that your stay with us will be even better, kind regards
Mirna Loncar Strazicic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 July 2012

It was a welcome treat to arrive at Villa Dubrovnik! The setting of the villa is magnificent. It is perched above the Adriatic with views of the sea, islands and the Old Town of Dubrovnik. It's apparent from the minute you arrive that this hotel is special. It's elegant in an understated yet simple way. The service is friendly and outstanding. The food was creative and delicious. I hated to leave this haven of luxury. The beach which is made up of flat perches amongst the rocks is private and special. The water is crystal clear and inviting. I look forward to returning to the Villa Dubrovnik. Unlike other hotels we stayed at in Croatia, this is a destination that you want to have time to enjoy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that offers a view of the Old Town as well as the Sea!
, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear Guests,
We are really honored to receive review like yours, full of positive impressions about our Villa Dubrovnik and Villa Dubrovnik team! I can see that you enjoyed your time here with us very much, and that is the most important thing in this business and the best award for hard work and extend effort. I would like to meet you and host you again in our Villa Dubrovnik where I am sure you will have even better feedback!
Anything that I can do I personally stay at your disposal. With my best regards,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 July 2012

This is a beautiful property perched above the Adriatic with stunning views of Dubrovnik. The staff is outstanding, rooms are nice and the food is very good (although pricey). If you like to swim, they have a great (rocky) "beach" over crystal clear water with the ability to swim for miles up and down the coast (watch out for boats). Be aware that the sun chairs start filling up fast in the afternoon...snag one early in the day.

Some things to be aware of:
Showers - Although the rooms are nice the showers are unbelievably dysfunctional. There is no way to shower without getting water all over the bathroom. They also failed to refill our shampoo every day which was strange.

Boat - Villa Dubrovnik provides an awesome boat that makes several trips back and forth to the old city. This is a great convenience but beware that the boat sometimes leaves early, sometimes late, and has a somewhat illogical schedule (leaving every hour between 6pm and 11pm - except at 8pm). If you miss your boat it's about a 15 minute walk into the city which isn't bad.

Pool Service - The place has staff out the wazoo at check-in and in the main restaurant. But there is only one stressed out pool boy working like crazy to get drinks to all the people on the beach. We waited about 15 minutes to get his attention then another 15 minutes for our drinks to show up. Not a huge deal but something the hotel should address.

All in all we would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Get a sea view.
, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear Austin,
I would like to thank you for your kind review, we all do appreciate all of your comments. Thank you very much for considering our staff as professional providing great service for our guests. What is really special about this hotel is location; with beautiful view all around. Also I would like to make some comments on things which you stated; Showers-we are very aware of certain problems with showers in our rooms and we have that in plan as investing in it during the winter when we are able to do so, so next time when you come it will be definitely solved. Vaporetto boat is leaving Villa Dubrovnik and Old Town port according schedule which is stated in every room, so all of our guests are familiar with it. I am very sorry if it was not prompt when you were here, I will definitely check that with our skipper and make sure that this is not happening again if that was mistake of our skippers. But I need to mention that sometimes we have request from our quest to wait few minutes and also if the boat is full, maximum 10 pax it is going earlier because it can not fit other guests but is coming back to pick them up. Regarding waiters and bar service in pool area, I appreciate your comment very much and I am aware that you are right about increasing number of people there to improve that kind of service which we already did at this point. Thank you very much for that.
I would really like to host you again and meet you in person on your next visit to our Villa Dubrovnik! With my best regards,
dublin
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We stayed for a week at Villa Dubrovnik with two of our teenage children. We travel a lot and all agreed that this was probably the best hotel we have stayed at. The deceptively simple design, wonderful location and friendly thoughtful staff ensured a week of complete relaxation - you forget what day it is. The boat transfer service adds a touch of class although it can be crowded at peak times. We had breakfast and lunch each day at the hotel - the food was delicious. The Skybar is a lovely option for a pre-dinner drink. Dubrovnik is expensive but Villa dubrovnik was certainly worth the cost. The hotel recommended Proto restaurant in the old town - we ate there twice and would certainly endorse the recommendation - the freshest fish imaginable cooked simply. I very much look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guests,
It is a quite compliment that you are considering us as the best hotel you have ever visited! Thank you very much for that. Our hotel is newly renovated, just 2 years ago and the goal was to have beautiful and modern design, I am so happy that I can see that you liked it. Hotel is located in really nice area, positioned on the cliffs just above the sea, it is providing spectacular view to the Old Town and sea. Atmosphere here really is so relaxing and I am so happy that you recognized that and fully enjoyed all our services and facilities. What I like the most is what you recognized our staff as proffesional and helpfull, we are giving so much to keep them well trained and always at your disposal.
I would like to have opportunity to meet you and to host you again in our Villa Dubrovnik!
Kind regards,
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 28 June 2012

From the lovely Villa Dubrovnik there are magnificent views of the old walled city of Dubrovnik, the sea and the islands. Our room at the hotel was beautiful, the food at the restaurant was delicious, the services at the spa were excellent, and the entire experience of staying there was a wonderful respite. We highly recommend Villa Dubrovnik. It is expensive but you receive first class accomodations and service.

1 Thank Susanne S
Dear Susanne,
I would like to thank you for your flattering review! I am glad that you enjoyed your holidays here with us in Villa Dubrovnik. We are all so proud to hear such complimets because all of our staff is doing their best to keep us up to first class hotel. I would really appreciate your recommendations and would definitely like to see you soon here again! With my best regards
Melbourne
Reviewed 23 June 2012

We recently stayed at villa Dubrovnik and we didn't want to leave! Not only was Dubrovnik absolutely beautiful, but the hotel was sublime. We were a little nervous upon arrival, as it seemed a little way out of town, but actually, it isn't so far, plus the hotel provides an excellent shuttle service - apparently its not so far to walk either, but we chose the shuttle. From the moment of our arrival when we were greeted by a handsome, charming, dashingly dressed fellow, we knew this hotel was special. The staff were incredibly warm and friendly and nothing was too much for them to do. Their uniforms are gorgeous - very Italian - white chinos and navy linen blazers, suede loafers for the men. All white for the girls. Very crisp and stylish! The hotel upgraded us into the most amazing suite. Honestly, I have never had better - it was like a beautiful apartment. The beds were incredibly comfortable to the point I really looked forward to going to be every night. We had a beautiful view looking Accross the water to Dubrovnik. The furnishings were very stylish and comfortable and the wifi excellent. The breakfast provided by the hotel was delicious, as was the outdoor setting. We didn't use the pool, as we preferred the sea - they have created a private beach from the rocks which is absolutely lovely. On the last day I had a position hidden behind a corner, on a little point jutting out to sea, looking towards the town - honestly, I wanted to miss my plane! We highly recommend this hotel and cannot praise it, or it's staff, enough.

1 Thank katstrov
, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear Guests, Thank you very much for your kind review! It is so nice to hear that you had such a nice time here with us in our Villa Dubrovnik!
I can understand that you were nervous when you saw that hotel is a little bit out of the walls of the Old Town but as you saw it is not far from the center of Old town. It is situated in peace and quiet area, and it is providing the most beautiful view of the Old Town from every corner of the hotel area. As you mention, we are offering shuttle service but also it is on foot distance from the Old Town center. My opinion is also that staff Is the most important fact in successfully running this kind of the hotel, so we are really doing our best to keep them well trained and inform about everything so they can be on guests’ full disposal.
I am really very glad that you enjoyed your time here in Villa Dubrovnik, and I am hoping that you will come to visit us again! Kind regards from Villa Dubrovnik!
Washington, DC
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed here for three nights at the beginning of June and were pleased overall with the hotel. Overall: The design really is top notch - it's just gorgeous. The location is a bit outside town, which did turn out to be somewhat of a pain because the boat was broken the entire time we were there, but the water access is great and we got to swim a lot. Breakfasts were good and you can sit outside with a great view of the city. Spa - beautiful facilities, but hands down the worst massage I've ever had.

Rooms - The rooms are also beautiful with a ton of closet space which I really like so I don't have to see my luggage all over the room. There were two things they need to change in the bathrooms, however. First, the wall around the sink is glass so you can look through the room and off the balcony. Sounds great, but the curtain to close off the view doesn't go all the way around the glass so if someone is sitting on the bed you get a reflected view from the mirror into the bathroom. Second, the shower nozzle didn't stay in place so if you want to take what I consider to be a normal shower you have to hold the nozzle the whole time. On the other hand that a/c was great, the beds comfy and the curtains really blacked out the light - so a great sleeping environment. (One annoyance was that if you want the a/c below 20 or 22 - can't remember which - you have to call the front desk and they adjust the minimum temperature remotely. When you're paying 600 euros plus a night you should be able to have it whatever temp you want or at least put a little sign out letting you know) Most rooms don't have much of a view of the old town - we had to lean over the balcony and crane our heads around the trees. We were on the second floor so maybe a higher floor would have been better - but some rooms that aren't on the same side as the old town would definitely have no view of the city.

Location - It was very nice to have a quiet location to come back to after walking around a lot. However, the advertised boat that is supposed to take you back and forth was broken the whole time we were there so instead they shuttled everyone in a minivan. A lot of people were pretty upset, including us, because the boat was definitely something that enticed us to stay there. How hard would it have been for the hotel to rent or charter a boat for a few days? The hotel was full so it would have been justified. The minivan they had the first day was obviously a rental and was pretty grimy - though the drivers from the hotel were all super friendly. What was really annoying was staff attitude about it - they really didn't seem to care and basically blew us off - we also saw this happen to someone who complained the next day. Also, you should know they do the shuttle once an hour from the hotel to the old town so if you miss it the hotel has to call a cab (none are just hanging around) and it costs around 60-70 kuna which really can add up. I didn't think it was walkable unless you have a lot of time and it's not too hot.

However, the water access and little beach area did a lot to make up for the boat. There is a nice rocky area with drink service that was spacious enough and the water was absolutely clear and great to swim in. It was a great experience to be swimming with the old town in the distance.

Spa - Really beautiful facilities with changing rooms and lockers. However, they need to get trained professionals working there because the masseur I had was very young and really had no idea what he was doing. I get massages fairly often including two others on this trip, and this really was the worst I've ever had. I can only describe it a feeling like a limp handshake - really awful - and yet I ended up with a bruise on my right calf afterward. I've had deep tissue massage and pt before and I can tell you bruises should never, ever happen. I didn't say anything because it was the last full day of my trip and after the attitude with the boat I didn't want to bother.

Even though I've gone into a lot of detail about some of the bad things I would say it is a very nice hotel and I think it is quite possible to have a perfect stay here if you are lucky. But they need to try a little harder especially for the price.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor at the north end of the hotel toward the city for the best views.
2 Thank oscarfelix
Dear Madame,
I would like to thank you for your particular review and all comments while you were here with us in Villa Dubrovnik. I am glad that actually you had nice time and enjoyed your vacation with us. I really appreciate all of your comments and we will consider them all additional to improve our service but need to stress few points out.
Hotel is located in peace and quiet area, just 15min on foot from the Old town. I am really sorry that you did not have opportunity for our boat transfers, and I would like to apologize for that. We had unplanned and unexpected “Havaria” on the boat and we needed to wait for the new motor and were doing it as soon as possible. Right now our boat is running normally. I really do apologize if you fased inconvenience because of our boat since you were the guest in hotel when that happened. All other guests were informed before arrival and had availability to cancel reservation without penalties because of that. We tried but could not find adequate substitute for our guests and at that point informed our guests about that unplanned happening.
Per the room I need to stress that we received the comments regarding the shower which we are aware and this winter we are planning to change it definitely. Regarding the air conditioning our regular standard temperature is 22 degrees. We settled up the system in way for guests to have manevar of +/- 3 degrees because we are considering ourselves as eco friendly hotel which had certain regulation and rules.
As mentioned on all of our promo materials and channels all of the rooms are with see view and balconies or terraces and majority of them to the view to the Old City but as mentioned not all of them have the view to the Old City of Dubrovnik, but definitely you can enjoy spectacular view to the sea.
As per the Spa massage I need to apologize one more time and need to stress that so far we never had that kind of comment on any of our Spa treatments and not negative comment on person that did you massage. All of our therapists have at least 5 years of experience and adequate school.
I had immediate meeting with all of my staff and took adequate measures not to happen again.
We are really thankful for all of your comments that will help us improve our sevices and guests feel more comfortable in our facilities and hope to see you again and have a chance to talk to you personally.
I really do hope that you will visit us one more time and that I will have chance to meet you personally and I can guarantee you that all of these things that you mentioned are all right now.
With my best regards, Mirna Loncar Strazicic