“An exquisite, stylish hotel but a few minor niggles...”
Review of Villa Dubrovnik

Villa Dubrovnik
Ranked #2 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Manchester, United Kingdom
“An exquisite, stylish hotel but a few minor niggles...”
Reviewed 16 October 2012

This is up there with the best hotels I have ever stayed in anywhere in the world. It is a stunning modern minimalist hotel with delightful friendly young staff. Boat launch to/from town is a treat. Dinner in the restaurant was the best meal we ate in four days in Dubrovnik. For such an expensive and classy place though they sure do some dumb things.

When I booked via the hotel website I wanted to stay four nights but all that was available was a suite for three nights. Some days later I mailed the reservation team to say if by any chance they had a cancellation or a room became available for four nights I would like to have that instead. I got an email straight back saying that due to the rate I had booked 'no changes or amendments were possible' so hard luck mate it doesn't matter if one does become available because our rules are rules! So we (looked at Trip Advisor!) booked a fabulous place in the old town for our last night instead even though they apparently did have a room available at VD. Doesn't seem very commercial of them but that's what happened.

In the evening they run an hourly mini-bus in to town. We arrived in reception to take advantage of this at 8pm one evening only to be told that actually it doesn't run hourly because 'the driver has a break' at 8! We were then told however that the same driver would run us down to town (it takes about three minutes) for 10 euros or we could get a cab! Bizarre! They choose possibly THE peak time for trips in to town NOT to run their free shuttle even though the driver is waiting in reception!

One morning I called room service and asked for two cups of tea. I was then asked why I didn't use the coffee machine in my room to make tea because if room service sent it they would have to charge me. I said I couldn't get the coffee machine to produce hot water so she said she'd send someone to show me. 10 minutes later I put on my bathrobe went up to reception asked them to send someone to fix the coffee machine as promised! Two housekeepers then arrived and tried to fix it but couldn't so eventually they took it away and replaced it with a kettle instead. Well when I'm paying more than 500 euros a NIGHT in a suite I'm actually not that fussed about paying an extra 10 euros for some tea and I would have preferred to pay the extra rather than go through the hassle, delay and frustration I went through!!

One day I came back to the room at 3 pm to find it had not been made up. When I told reception in passing that I was surprised by this having been out all day the Head of Housekeeping subsequently came to my suite to say that most guests didn't want to be disturbed by housekeeping early in the morning and hence they waited for the guest to switch on the 'make up my room' sign which I wasn't even aware of.

None of these things in themselves are a big deal obviously but when you are paying these prices you notice them. To her credit the Asst G Mgr stopped me when I was checking out apologised for the coffee machine incident and listened with surprise and disappointment to the other points I describe above asking me to please have a complimentary breakfast with her. But by then frankly we were looking forward to trying our new place (Villa Anastasia - equally stunning btw) so we left wondering whether being number one in the Trip Advisor rankings doesn't sometimes lead to unrealistic expectations.

Room Tip: Standard rooms get sun on them all day but not all have views of the old town. Suites have views but...
3 Thank fergus w
VD_General_Manager, Assistant General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Dear Says-it-as-it-is,
It was my great pleasure to meet you on your departure from our Villa Dubrovnik, and opportunity to hear direct and honest feedback about your stay with us. I was pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and I would like to thank you for all of your suggestions for improvement.
We have absorbed all of your comments and have already rolled out tactical plan for improvement in those areas.
Once again, we are sincerely thankful to you for taking your time for your feedback. We trust to have an opportunity to welcome you again in the nearest future.
Matina Durovic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
surrey
Reviewed 14 October 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a three night stay at this absolutely wonderful hotel and I can do no more than agree wholeheartedly with all the excellent reviews of this hotel. The setting, the staff and the facilities are all first class and I can think of no better place in the World to celebrate a special event with the added benefit (if you are travelling from the UK) of easy accessibility. Do go if you have the chance I am sure that you will not be disappointed. We are certainly looking forward to returning at the earliest opportunity. I suspect May and September are the best months to travel if you can but we were very lucky with the weather in mid-October with warm sunshine.

Room Tip: All rooms have see view I believe so I do not think that any are preferable to the others.
Dear Kathyinsurrey,
Thank you for leaving such positive feedback regarding your recent stay at Villa Dubrovnik. We are delighted to read how much your enjoyed the whole experience and hope we get to welcome you back in the nearest future.
Our entire personnel is sending you sincere greetings from Dubrovnik.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Just had 4 nights here and it lived up to expectations. Very chic, understated decor and public areas which really grow on you the longer you stay. Staff were excellent, particularly those in the restaurant. Apart from breakfast we had one lunch and one dinner in the hotel, both of which were very good (and we thought better the restaurants we tried in town). Views from the balcony and restaurant were beautiful, particularly at sunset. Don't worry about the location the old city is only a 10-15 minute downhill walk and cabs back are very reasonable if you have over-indulged!

Our one niggle concerns our check-in. Anyone who has been up at 5.00am to catch a flight from a cold climate knows that sinking feeling when reception tells you on arrival at 11.30 that your room won't be ready till 3pm. We needed a freshen up and a change to lighter clothes rather than having to sit round in what we had travelled in for over 3 hours. I suspect this might be an unusual circumstance so we still give it 5 stars. We subsequently discovered that a large private party had been at the hotel for the weekend and although they were only guests like everyone else they seemed to be acting as though they owned the place (you know the type!). We thought we would kill time by having an early lunch but this crowd were still filling the small restaurant after breakfast so were told it would be 1pm before we could get lunch. Definitely would not deter us from returning but it certainly got us off on the wrong foot.

Room Tip: Pretty sure all rooms have a balcony facing the ocean so they will all be fine
2 Thank owen333
Dear Owen333,
Thank you very much for your flattering review! We are all very glad that you have enjoyed your time in our Villa. Unfortunately we truly regret that you have experienced such inconvenient situation on your arrival. As you mentioned in your review, that weekend our hotel has been leased for an exclusive use those guests were all leaving the morning when you arrived.
As a standard procedure of the hotel, the check in time is at 15:00, unless we have an availability. Therefore, we regret for not being able to provide you with an early check-in after travelling so long to come to Dubrovnik.
After all, we can see that you have spent nice holidays with us and we are all really proud to be part of that. We hope you will visit us in near future. Until then, we are extending to you our sincere regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We stayed for 4 nights at the start of our honeymoon in mid September. We loved the clean, modern elegance of the whole place and everything was of the highest quality and well maintained. The staff were friendly and unobtrusive but helped promptly with every request. We had a deluxe room with stunning view of Lokrum and the Old Town and it was perfect for the two of us. It is approximately 20 minutes to walk to the Old Town, and the complimentary boat takes 10 minutes and runs hourly. The hotel has its own private rock beach, medium sized swimming pool and library lounge making it a great place to relax and spend a day. We had one breakfast and one dinner in the restaurant. Both were excellent and the setting is beautiful but it is somewhat pricey. Overall we had an amazing time here and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nicolatakatejane
Dear Nicolatakatejane,
Thank you so much for the lovely review and for taking the time to share your experience on a Trip Advisor - we really appreciate it. And most of all, we thank you for choosing our Villa as a perfect romantic place for your honeymoon.
We're so happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and that you particularly enjoyed the arrival experience,concierge service, your room, and the service at our Spa center and the restaurant. The Service is something which creates memories.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back for your anniversary!
With my best regards,
Hadera, Israel
Reviewed 1 October 2012

If there is something better than excellent it belongs to Villa Dubrovnik. We stayed for three nights in August 2012 at the end of our Croatia trip and it was the perfect place to wind down and luxuriate. There is a quiet elegance and attention to detail that envelopes this place from the moment you check in until you regretfully leave. The rooms are wonderful, the views superb and the location away from the hustle bustle of the Old City is perfect. The sleek vaporetto into town and the rocky beach are reminscent of San Pietro in Positano and the Cipriani in Venice. The spa is fantastic. If there is any nit to pick it might be in the dining room menu which perhaps should change more often or feature specials as it is a setting that oozes romance outdoors when the sun sets and outlines the Old City in pink. Breakfast is a very welcome relief from the buffets offered at all of the other hotels. Here you are seated with the finest nappery and silverware, gleaming glasses and offered a wide choice morning entrees to start the day. The waitstaff is friendlly, engaging and experienced. Perhaps the best clue to what the VD is all about is the simple fact that every review on Trip Advisor receives a response from their manager.They care, it shows and memories of our stay will long linger with us.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chaiminded
VD_General_Manager, Assistant General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Dear Chaiminded,
Thank you very much for your kind review. It is a great reward to hear that our hotel and our services have surpassed guests’ expectations. Indeed, we do care of our customers and are always eager to learn more about their experience at our hotel, as it is often the most accurate roadmap for enhancing our product and services.
Your flattering comment concerning our breakfast is very much appreciated. As a result of our integrative philosophy for continuously improving the quality of products and services, we plan to improve certain processes regarding our customer’s gastronomical experience for the next season. Therefore, we hope that your stay will be even better when you visit us next time, and that our services will then be even more meticulous and exceeding your expectations.
We are all looking forward to welcome you again at Villa Dubrovnik, trusting to have an opportunity to meet you in person in not so distant future.
California
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Stayed at Villa Dubrovnik for 5 nights the beginning of Sept. Having traveled all over the world, at fine hotels, I have to say this hotel has one of the best trained staff for a small hotel. Whatever you asked for they did, got back to you quickly, if they said they were going to do something they did it. All rooms face the sea, however best rooms are on the side facing the sea and the old town. The breakfast is fantastic and the dinners either in the bar or the restaurant were superb. A small gym, but a good indoor pool. The spa was wonderful. Only complaint, they need to do something about the showers as you cannot control the water from getting all over the floor.
A great respite.

They do charge a ridiculous fee to sit on the rocks facing the sea, something like 50 Euro a day. Only complaint.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Old Town and the sea.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Grammygogo,
Thank you so much for such a compliment to our staff! We are proud of our employees at Villa Dubrovnik. Our achievements are founded on unique and refined atmosphere, delicate hospitality product, and dazzling location of our hotel —but there is simply no substitute for the role that our people have played in our success. Our employees are our greatest asset and a significant competitive advantage, enabling our hotel to cater to the needs of those that seek the very best in hospitality. Our personalized guest services are result of their hard work and dedication, and our aim is to continuously provide our employees with programs tailored to maximize their excellence.
We share your opinion that all residences of Villa Dubrovnik are endowed with some of the most magnificent vistas of the Old Town, neighbouring Island of Lokrum, and the Adriatic Sea. Such surrounding is vividly observable from our beach, where our guests can enjoy our delicate services. Only the front row of sun beds is subject to extra charge, primarily to guarantee our guests availability of these prime spots. Remaining sun beds are at complimentary use to our guests, just as it is our hand-crafted Venetian Vaporetto boat that provides daily shuttle service to and from the Old Town of Dubrovnik.
We feel rewarded that you have enjoyed our hotel and its services, and are glad that you have spent nice and pleasant holidays in our Villa Dubrovnik!
Our entire team will be honoured to have you again in our hotel. Until then, we are all extending to you our sincere regards.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2012

My wife and me stayed in fantastic Villa Dubrovnik twice already. First time it was last year and we fell in love with his hotel.
This summer we came back and stayed for 10 days. Even last year it was faboulos, but this year was FANTASTIC. We could not find a single, smallest downside, failure or anything to complain about.
As most of the reviewers said already, interior, position, service, food, beach, staff - no hotel in Dubrovnik can beat them, and we have been coming to Dubrovnik for years. We have stayed in all the 5* hotels there, but since we have found Villa dubrovnik last year, we are not going to look further any more. This is our peace of heaven in Croatia, not cheap definitely, but worth of every cent.
The mornings started with a rich and delisious breakfast on the terrace with a stunning view of the Old city.. Everthing is offered 'ala carte' and one can find absolutely everything on the menu. Even if you wish something out of it, they will prepare it for you.
The lunch is served in Bistro Giardino, located in a beautiful garden above the beach, shaded by the old trees. One can come to the open grill bar and choose by himself what to order. The Chef prepares the lunch in frount of you. You can give instructions if you want to add a bio more of this and a bit less of that, or just go back to your table and enjoy some of the great wines or champaignes.
Spending the day on the beach or on the sun deck in front of the swimming pool is a great way to spend lazzy and hot summer afternoons. If you want, you can have a massage on the sun deck. SPA staff is absolutely fantastic too.
Before the dinner, we used to have a glass of champaigne or coctail on the Sky Bar - a perfect roof top place with a stunning 360' view - the one and only and unique in Dubrovnik. After that we used to proceed to the in house retaurant Pjerin - a fine dining place where you can enjoy a deliciouis dinner based on the fresh ingredients and with a look and taste of the Mischellin star restaurant, but luckily, without the downsides that goes along with Michelin stars.
After the dinner we went to the old city. A beautiful Venetian mahagony boat took us there. We felt like being the movie stars on the red carpet during the film festival in Venetia.
We love this place,adore it, and we shall be coming back as long it exists.

Room Tip: Room no 216 is best in the world
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jon K
Dear Jon,
Thank you very much for your generous review, which makes our team even more proud of the fine property we manage. We are all so delighted that you enjoyed again in our Villa Dubrovnik and that you found it as a perfect hotel for your future holidays. Moreover, we are grateful to you for sharing your positive experience so eloquently with all of our future guests.
Positive reviews alike yours are of paramount importance to us, as they are a thrusting force to all of us, making us inspired to surpass guests’ expectations day after day.
Looking forward to your next visit, with sincere regards,