“Lovely Views at Boutique Hotel”
Review of Villa Dubrovnik

Villa Dubrovnik
Ranked #2 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed in deluxe room 407 and had a great view of Lokrum Island and the Old City. Since it's on the top floor, our views weren't hindered by the trees just below. Service was professional and friendly...although a couple of the staff members could be friendlier and quicker with a smile.

We only had some small bites on the rooftop bar/terrace and then poolside. Both times were delicious. I highly recommend the tuna wrap - I've never had a tuna wrap taste as good as the one at Villa Dubrovnik before! The food and drinks are definitely pricey though...as it seems to be in Dubrovnik overall. A plate of prosciutto, a side of marinated cheese and two glasses of house wine cost approximately $80.

The Venetian vaporetto to/from Old Town is a nice touch. The Bulgari shower products are good. Towels, comfortable bed and fluffy slippers were all great.

Since this is a 5-star boutique luxury hotel, there are certain areas that could be improved:

- Increase minibus and/or vaporetto service. While we were there, it was only running between 10am and 2pm, and then 6pm to 11pm...and it doesn't run at the prime dinner time of 8pm, and it only comes once an hour. The hotel is located 20 minutes away by foot from Old Town (and we are young), so it is a bit of a pain to have to wait for the bus/vaporetto.
- On our last full day, the hotel changed the vaporetto/minibus schedule without telling us and we were stuck waiting at Ploce Gate Old Town for about 15 minutes with no idea that they had stopped the minibus service and changed it to the vaporetto for the rest of the day. I had to practically throw a hissy fit for them to offer to send a minibus to pick us up at that time, when it should've been offered immediately with apologies.
- Although the room has great views and is nice and spacious, it has a bit of a business hotel kind of feel to it and lacks soul. It's minimalist, which I love, but there's just something missing.
- There wasn't any staff by the pool/sun loungers, and as all the loungers were full, we had to go find a staff member to help us set one up (which he did quickly and very well). However, having been just by reception a few minutes before, there were a ton of staff members there who didn't seem like they had a ton to do...so perhaps be better about making sure certain areas are better-staffed, especially when there are a good number of guests there.

Overall, I do recommend Villa Dubrovnik and really enjoyed my stay there. If I revisit Dubrovnik, I would return to Villa Dubrovnik!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 407 (highest floor) and had great views above the trees of Lokrum Island and Old T...
1  Thank ApresNewYork
Villa_Management, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear ApresNewYork

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and other people on Trip Advisor site. I truly appreciate your comments and glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay in overall.

I appreciate your suggestions for service of shuttle and listening to our guest we are introducing shuttle at 8 o clock in the evening. Listening to our quest there was not need to do it between 2 and 6 and I need to mention out that it is a free shuttle that other hotels that are with much longer distance then we are and the same rate category do not have at all.
We aim to deliver the best service to our guest and we will definitely listen our guest.
When we do the changes of transfers from land or see our standard is to inform and wait for out guests and we didn’t do it at the time and did mistake. There is no excuse for such situation if happened to you, but this month of May the weather was totally unpredictable, unusually rainy and windy, with rough see, continuously changing and we wanted to give to our guest the boat transfer.
Regarding the service and number of people in each outlet, it is organized to have everything covered.
I will also double checked the shifts and your help would be very appreciated regarding the specific staff member because all of them needs to provide you with best service, politeness and smile.

Thank you one more time, looking forward to your next visit and hope that I will have chance to have at least the drink with you one day

Sincerely;

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Last day of a 7 night stay in the Villa Dubrovnik - all in all a pleasant experience.
My wife and I perhaps found the contemporary design of the VD a bit spartan and clinical but this is personal preference and for a short stay it was fine. As many have said in previous reviews all the staff were very friendly and helpful. The distance from the old town was well under a mile and no problem for a short 15-20 min walk if you miss the courtesy transfer.
I found the cost of all hotel services to be a bit on the high side.
Shame really as the hotel missed out on a share of around the 1500 euros my wife and I spent in Dubrovnik during our stay.
My wife has insisted I mention that sun beds at VD are not as available as they should be for a hotel of this category. They also suffer from the old chestnut of selfish guests reserving beds for long periods of time while not being present. Hotels really need to address this.
Things to know before you go - luxury limo transfer 37euros from the airport - book on the internet pay when you arrive - all went absolutely fine - same for the return.
If you are going on any excursions and are prepared to wait until the night before - you can get a good discount in the old town of up to 25% if you look for the operators who are trying to fill the last seats on their mini buses - bit like theatre tickets in Leicester Sq on the night.
Hotel runs a courtesy mini bus to the old town at 6pm 7pm and 9pm - but not at 8pm ( seems plain daft to me to miss this time slot)
If you can make breakfast before 8.30am I can guarantee your experience will be far better than after this time. (Presentation etc)
The spa at VD seems to be on the expensive side for what looks like a fairly average facility ( I must be honest and say all I did was look in and read the Spa menu. If reasonable though my wife and I usually do use Spa facilities when we are on holiday)

Room Tip: You will pay considerably more for only a marginal uplift in amenity here - Delux rooms were fine.
2  Thank AllanWanderlust

Dear AllanWanderlust

I am grateful for your detailed feedback and your compliments about our team, location, design. We are very proud to read that you liked it.
I understand your opinion about our excursion offer and its price, but I have to emphasize that the reason for our higher price is the exclusivity and tailor made option that we offer for each guest. Each one of our excursions is tailor made according to the guest’s preferences and guided with personal local guide in Limo transfer, while those offered in the city are mainly group oriented without personal touch. We offer such service in order to provide you with the exceptional service at any moment.
Of course people are more than welcome to use other services but we are not able to stand behind that only give directions and general information’s.
The reason for higher prices for Spa treatments is the use of organic products Sodashi for each of them. We can proudly say that we are one of the few hotels in the World that have exclusivity to offer them to the guests in the hotel.
Regarding your comment for sun beds, we have the amount in hotel for each person. The only problem is outdoor space in front of the pool and there we have the number of sun beds that can fit. But beside that there are other areas with sun beds around the pool and on the beach which can accommodate all the quests of our hotel.
As pre the comment with the boat we took your advice and we are including, from the next week, our shuttle also at 8 o clock, free shuttle service that other hotels in the city doesn’t have.
Our main aim is to keep our guest satisfied, to listen to them and to have something special like a free shuttle.

Thank you one more time and l hope next time I will have chance to meet you in person.

Kindest regards from Villa Dubrovnik,

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We decided to spend our last night in Croatia at the Villa Dubrovnik hotel. The location and reception porter truly generate a wow factor.

The bedrooms are beautifully designed with lovely views to Lokram Island (only the apartments face the old city's fortification). Bedding, towels are of superior quality. The Italian style wooden crafted boat service to the city exclusively for guests certainly makes this hotel 5 stars.

The food however was not up to the quality and high standards of the rest. We ordered room service which came perfectly within the time given, however the beef was hard, overcooked or simply like if it had been reheated in the microwave, the bread was not any softer, definitely not the culinary experience we were expecting and at a 20% up charge!

Breakfast a- la carte did not impress either, coffee was average and the croissants once again not fresh and very hard. I would definitely recommend going into town for your meals as a better option.

The service in general and employees at the hotel seemed to be unfamiliar with the surroundings,when asked about information on the different room options and views they could not give an answer. They came across a little abrupt on most occasions, lacking the level of attention and all over smiles you would expect.

Overall a great place to stay if visiting Dubrovnik; highly recommended for the views and amenities provided.

Not recommended for food and warmth of the employees,

Alex & Alicia

Room Tip: Apartments face old town, all rooms face island however some with hindered panoramic views.
2  Thank Alex B

Dear Alex ,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your impressions with us.
I am pleased to read your compliments about design.
I truly regret for not meeting your expectations with food and beverage quality and service. We aim to deliver the best service and satisfaction of our guests. Apparently for that point we did mistake and we already had meeting to do make sure not to repeat those things.
As per the warmth of employees I am surprised to read that comment because all off other guest, either through trip advisor or through another services survey, point out that it is the best that Villa Dubrovnik has. Such a general comment which is contradictory with other quest services surprises me but everyone is entitled for own opinion.
Thank you one more time and I look forward to personally welcome you again in our Villa and provide you with my team with exceptional service.

Best regards till then,

Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and I spent two nights in this wonderful hotel. This is a truly five star facility with large rooms that are attractively furnished. The linens and towels are first-rate and the Bulgari soaps and shampoo was a nice touch. The views of Dubrovnik and the Adriatic are breathtakingly stunning and the hotel is efficiently managed. The reception was warm and welcoming and the staff was very helpful in suggesting restaurants, things to do, etc. There is also a serene atmosphere that surrounds you at this wonderful facility.

My wife and I are on an extended trip. We have been staying at 5 Star facilities in Italy, Malta, Romania and now Croatia. Villa Dubrovnik provided us with a stay that was among the best we have had. This review would not be complete without me mentioning the breakfasts which were amazing. A vast menu of everything from pancakes, eggs, omelets, cereals, fruit, etc. were cooked to order every morning with great professional service. The view of the Adriatic and Dubrovnik made the delicious breakfasts special. I would certainly recommend this wonderful hotel to anyone looking to visit Dubrovnik.

1  Thank ase1707
Villa_Management, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear ase1707,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Villa Dubrovnik. I was thrilled to read that you had such a pleasant stay and enjoyed your comfortable room, the quality breakfast and our fabulous location.
Thank you also for pointing out the warm welcome. Our aim is to constantly provide memorable experience.
My team and I are very much looking forward to welcoming you back in our Villa in the near future.

With best regards,

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights and enjoyed our stay immensely.
The staff was warm and helpful. Rooms comfortable and well appointed.
The restaurant was one of the best hotel dining spots in town. Breakfasts were both served and buffet style with many choices. Dinner was excellent and while we love to venture out on our trips we had two nights here.
Each room has a spectacular view of the sea and islands. The hotel is on a quiet stretch of road about 15 minutes walk to the old city of Dubrovnik. Very safe and well lit so walking even late at night is wonderful.
The spa was well appointed and we had a very good massage one afternoon. A nice indoor swimming pool and gym round out this very well run establishment. We hope to go back to Croatia....a beautiful country with friendly people who appreciate their tourism industry.

Room Tip: I think all rooms face the water. We were on the third floor which was quiet and convenient.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard S

Dear Richard S

I thank you for ranking Villa Dubrovnik with highest score. The whole team and I have felt very proud of that.

I am glad to hear that you have very much enjoyed dinner as we proud ourselves in offering the fleshiest products from the market. As well I am happy that you enjoyed the spa treatmant.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

MIrna Loncar Strazicic

Reviewed 6 May 2014

My wife and myself wanted to escape and celebrate our wedding day in the place where we could forget the time and the business around us. This hotel was recommended us by our dear friends and therefore we picked this. What a choice, super location, quality, service, staff, and so so relaxing atmosphere. Good restaurant, with the excellent breakfast, lunch and dinner service. Nice bar and spa area. And the best part of the sea just to jump into it! The staff has a great attitude and spirit which hopefully continues and will be kept in the future too. Luxury standard in Dubrovnik!

Room Tip: Everything seems to by seaside!

Dear J_Geronimo

I thank you very much for pointing out our "excellent" level of service all over the hotel. Indeed we genuinely love to pamper our guests and they can feel it.

I have passed on your words of praise to my whole team in order to keep on providing such high standards.

We look forward to many other visits of yours

Reviewed 6 May 2014

This hotel is in one of the most beautiful settings I've seen in Europe - great modern design, super clean, etc. The hotel has the potential to be one of the best in Europe (I'm certain it has to be the best hotel in Croatia already). All in all this is a great hotel and the staff tries really hard to be as attentive as you would expect at a hotel like the Four Seasons. However there were a few things that could have improved our experience at this gorgeous hotel. We stayed for three days and it rained most of the first two days we were there...bummer, but we are good at making the best of a bad situation. We asked the front desk to use an umbrella (should be standard amenity at a hotel of this level) - the front desk said they only had five umbrellas and they were all in use. Not good, luckily we packed one of our own but there were two of us plus a baby. On our second day someone from the front desk did save us one of the five umbrellas since we had a baby. That was very kind. Shuttle service to and from old town: this is a great amenity - especially when its provided by boat during good weather - beautiful!!! But one complaint is that the service stops between 2p and 6p. We inquired as to why they need to stop the service for 4 hours in the afternoon (right when you would want to go back to your room to nap, freshen up for dinner, have a cocktail on your gorgeous balcony, etc) and they said it was because the drivers needed to have a break. For four hours? Ok. Walking is fine or there is a cab so not a huge deal, except when it is raining. Room service - I ordered a hamburger. It was literally a hamburger on a large white plate, no sides or garnishes or even something to make the plate look less empty - so I ordered a side of fries. The hamburger was bad, really bad - the supposed beef was black-ish in colour and looked as if it had been frozen since 1989. Two other small nits about our room were that there was a 3 foot long crack in our sliding door to balcony and the safe in our room was broken.
All in all our experience at VD was very positive and the hotel and staff were pretty great. I would stay there again but I just wanted to provide some constructive criticism so that VD can truly live up to its potential. Its a magical place in a gorgeous setting!

Room Tip: A balcony is well worth the cost if the weather is nice!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cjs350

Dear cjs350 ,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoy staying with us in our Villa Dubrovnik.

I am however sorry to hear that we didn't fulfil your expectations in all fields of service. Personally I regret that I didn't have a chance meeting you in person.
Regarding the umbrella issue, I believe it was misunderstanding. In our hotel we have exact number of umbrella per room, but last couple of weeks it was constantly rainy weather in Dubrovnik, which is not usual and many guests were using them and left them outside the hotel. We immediately made an additional order for the new ones.
Regarding the hamburger case, I truly regret for such experience. This meal is our favourite one and most sellable from the bar menu. I already communicated the whole situation with our Chef and he did necessary improvements. Also our Technical Manager repaired all necessary things in the room.

I appreciate your feedback and despite the challenges you have experienced on your last stay, I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcoming you back with our undivided attention which is our standard.

Looking forward meeting you in person on your next visit. .

Best regards,