“Well executed boutique hotel”
Review of Villa Dubrovnik

Villa Dubrovnik
Ranked #1 of 67 Hotels in Dubrovnik
“Well executed boutique hotel”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is an excellent hotel be it rooms (quite new, modern, but not over the top), bathrooms, service (warm and friendly) or breakfast. Amenities are fine (indoor pool) and decent value given the location, room size and quality. Hotel restaurant does breakfasts and lunches very well, though I think they try too hard on fancy dinners and loses a little bit there. Stayed for 5 nights, so got to know hotel and staff well.

Some minor negatives to know: Gym needs some more lumps of lead and machines to be called a real gym and there really isn't much of anything called a beach, so not suitable for going into the sea with younger kids.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Villa_Management, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Darby T,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent visit to Villa Dubrovnik. I was delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy the atmosphere in our Villa and all the services that we provide. I appreciate your feedback and suggestion for GYM facilities which we plan to do in the future.
My team and I are sending you best regards and looking forward to your next visit.

Mirna Loncar Strazicic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on the first leg of our honeymoon. We were looking for a couple of days of pure relaxation and that is exactly what we got. From check in to check out the service was warm and attentive.
The hotel is modern and sleek with lots of glass and chrome. Our room on the 4th floor was large and airy with a large glass walked bathroom and a fantastic balcony overlooking the sea and the old town.
The meals we had at the hotel although pricey were delicious and the local wines an absolute treat.
A highlight was the beautiful wooden vaperetto boat which takes you into the old town and back once an hour - I would say they need some better communication as it doesn't always run and we were left waiting for a boat that wasn't going anywhere.
The only part of our trip that didn't live up to the expectation was our complimentary 'diamond bed' treatment courtesy of Mr and Mrs Smith. It's a very weird treatment that involves lying in a water filled lilo while they play music and flash coloured lights at you - in no way relaxing in my opinion and left my husband and I totally bemused!
The hotel is fantastic, total relaxation, brilliant staff and top rate amenities. Would certainly go back again.

Stayed July 2014
Dear LJH08,

It’s a pleasure to hear you enjoyed the location of our Villa, view from your room and the service provided by our dedicated team. I truly regret for your experience regarding the Diamond bed treatment. It's an unique treatment with lights and sounds which our guests find as a perfect way for relaxation. I appreciate your feedback and we all look forward to welcome you again.

Best regards

Los Angeles
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Great ocean front location, great helpful staff, great restaurant, contemporary sleek rooms. We would stay here again on another visit without considering an alternative. Only good things to say!
The hotel which is about a 15 minute walk from the old city also provides a Venice style boat taxi on an hourly basis.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear ZZZZ10

I’m so pleased to hear that you left the hotel already planning a return visit. I look forward to sharing your review with the team and welcome you back soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel perched on a cliff about 2 km outside of town. I must admit my son decided to join me at the last minute so I booked an additional room on line at the last minute through Kayak and got the presidential suite for the same price as my twin room! We has a terrace,a living room and a hot tub. That being said both our room and my sons room were very nice. The hotel has a few chairs perched on a rocky cliff above the ocean for swimming and a nice spa. The views are just spectacular though and you are far enough from town for peace and quiet. They have their own lovely boat that run from their private dock to town every hour.
The staff are efficient and polite. If I needed a dinner reservation or car it was done immediately without any questions.
This hotel is expensive but worth the cost.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank jej9001
Dear jej9001,

Thank you for your very nice feedback!

I am truly glad to hear that you and your family had really enjoyable stayi at our Villa Dubrovnik. Our aim is to provide an exceptional service at each moment of stay and I am glad that we achieved that and that you like the upgraded room. Thank you for pointing out our service.

I hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you all back in the near future.

Kind regards

Hong Kong
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Before I start complaining let me tell you what this hotel offers which is good; breakfast and location, that's about it unfortunately. The hotel has so much potential but it's the little things that drag it down.

The hotel is rather new, it has got that clean crisp contempory modern thing going for it that complements it's proximity to the old town of dubrovnik perfectly. However you can see places where maintence could take place. Being contemporary and the need to look cool has created some huge problems in my opinion! A TV at the end of the bed sticking out from the ground on a metal pole- simply not necessary and awkward. The shower! This is a killer. You have to climb into the bath to take a shower, there was no cork so it was impossible to take a bath but also no shower curtain just two pieces of glass which fold into place to block a quarter of the bath which ultimately floods the bathroom floor.

The service however is what truly grinded my gears. There are some staff which are really great. All the staff at breakfast were fantastic and so were those at the bar and the staff at the rocks/ the "beach". But there were other members of staff which were so undeniably rude and standoffish it makes me wonder why anyone would return. I was planning on returning to this hotel later in the month until I was accosted by someone I believed to be the manager. When I was waiting for the hotel's shuttle service a woman in glasses postured up to me and told "do not speak so loud on the phone at night" this really took me a back. I have never in my life been told off in a hotel by a member of staff. What really got to me was the fact that I was not even in my room until 6am but even more confusing was the fact I had left my phone on the plane so i didn't even have a phone to be on when I'm not even in the hotel. When I explained these facts the woman, she simply rolled her eyes and told me again "just don't be so loud". Interesting I thought to myself- how about you design a hotel that doesn't have paper thin walls. What you probably heard was the tv coming from the room next to me. But it is rather worrying that room next door could hear a phone call.

Now onto my room. My room faced the old town, a fantastic view but I had to share my terrace with the room next door. The room next door was a suite where their terrace stretched out further. On my first day I went to enjoy the view only to be stared down by my neighbours and asked what I was doing on their terrace. Lets just say I kept the curtains closed the whole time and was not able to enjoy the view which to be honest is one of the key reasons for choosing this hotel.

There are many other stories I can continue to tell you about but it's all rather depressing. I would love to return to this hotel to show my wife the old town of dubrovnik however the fact that I was reduced to feel like a child being scorned and the price I had to pay for this pleasure has meant I have booked the hotel next door for my return later in the month.

In conclusion this hotel didn't make me feel like a welcomed guest. It's expensive and not worth the money- a toothbrush and shaving kit would have been nice.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
24 Thank KaspXhotels
Reviewed 3 July 2014

If you're looking for something away from the crowds of the old city, but close enough to walk there, this is it. Great service, 10 minutes away from the city, and an amazing location with stunning views of the blue water. It was my wife's birthday when we went, and they sent up a small cake. The spa was excellent, and my 3 year old loved the indoor heated pool while I appreciated the views from the pool deck. Great location, great service.

Room Tip: Spring for the full sea view with balcony. You won't regret it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brian S
Villa_Management, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Brian S,

It was truly a pleasure having you as our guest during your recent visit to Dubrovnik.
I am so pleased that you were able to experience our hotel and enjoy the high service and quality levels upon which we pride ourselves.

We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future!

West Lothian
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Arriving by S Class Mercedes set the tone for our visit. Once arriving at this wonderfully designed hotel set into the cliff, check in was flawless and we were in our beautiful room (407) within 10 minutes. This despite the check in being 3 p.m. and us arriving at 1.30 p.m. I had requested a view of both city and Lokrum and the 4th floor and this is what we got. Room very well appointed with a beautiful balcony which was spacious. Nice big chair in the room and a wonderfully (super huge) comfortable bed with crisp cotton bedlinen. The bathroom had loads of space with very good toiletries, fluffy bathrobes (think lightweight ones for summer would be better, they were far too cumbersome in the heat), big bath sheets. Perfect.

This hotel is a gem, all the comments before this I can reiterate. It's about the location, a comfortable distance from the City but that means you can make the most of the views. And that vaporetto - never get rid of it - it was a highlight for me. We had the transfer to ourselves one of the days and I felt like a film star! The design of this hotel is fabulous, all clean lines, glass, chrome, every aspect designed to take advantage of those wonderful sea views. The swimming platform is beautiful, in the trees and each rock just has a couple of sunbeds on it so you have your own 'private rock' as it were. Then it's a few short steps into that clear blue sea. The water is unbelievably clear.

Now for the staff. This is where this hotel is set apart from many others. Everyone from the housekeeper to the bag porter, to the driver, to the boat captain, the Receptionists and Concierge ALL efficient, seem to love working at the hotel and so helpful no matter how small and mundane the requests.

The rooftop bar (when it is open - if there is any wind at all, they do not open it and it was only opened for 1 night during our 3 night visit) is sensational. It has a garden and the most wonderful views to the City. We dined there one night and watched the sun go down whilst having Croatian wine and the most divine tuna wrap. It's a must do if you like a bit of romance!

Breakfasts are 5 star. I am not sure how the pricing works, I think you are charged for what you eat but I was under the impression it was E30 whatever you ate. However this does not matter as the breakfasts are very very good. The fresh fruit, the blueberry smoothies, the blueberry pancakes with maple syrup, superb crispy bacon and fresh eggs any which way.. I could go on. Yes it is pricey the food and presentation is very high quality.

I didn't think the Restaurant for dinner was that good. Yes my starter of seafood risotto was excellent but my sea bream was very average (unlike the price which was not). My husband also enjoyed his food but it was nothing special. I think this was the most expensive meal we had on our trip.

I would beg, borrow or steal to return to this hotel. It's so relaxing, unpretentious, very well run, friendly, gorgeous. Even my husband who is a man of few words and it takes a lot for him to be impressed said it was amazing and one of the best hotels he's stayed in.

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd and 4th floor have great views. Rooms on ground or 1st floor lack due to guests wander...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank FionaJLinlithgow
Villa_Management, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear FionaJLinlithgow,

Thank you so much for choosing Villa Dubrovnik as your hotel of stay while in Dubrovnik and for taking the time to share your candid feedback of your visit. I am pleased to read that you found comfort in your room, the hotel’s location convenient, and that our team was successful in making your stay a little more memorable.
I am thrilled to learn that you would like to visit us again in the future. I highly value your loyalty and my team and I look forward to serving you again.