“Happy But Not Overwhelmed”
Review of Villa Dubrovnik

Villa Dubrovnik
Ranked #2 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 5 August 2014

"Liked the location of the hotel and contemporary design, some of which worked better than others (liked glass sea-view and the rooftop lounge, didn't like shower in steep tub and TV in center of room at foot of bed). The housekeeping left a bit to be desired- the dirty glasses of the previous guests were still in the room when we checked in and the next day the cleaning rag was left on the desk chair. I put the rag in the hallway where it remained there until we checked out. None of this would have fussed me but you are paying top-notch prices here which should guarantee a bit more. The staff were friendly, the food good and the view amazing. In fact, my husband choose this as his favourite hotel on our trip. He loved glass overlooking the water, which made our room light and bright. We stayed in room 401 which has a Jacuzzi on the deck and he enjoyed bathing there every day. I liked the spa and especially the Dream machine which balances your chakras with coloured lights. We were happy to have stayed there, weren’t over the top about the great value, but Dubrovnik is a world class destination and nothing is inexpensive."

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Betty-Ann H
Villa_Management, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Betty-Ann H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your most recent visit to Villa Dubrovnik. I am pleased to see that your overall experience was to your satisfaction. We do value our guests and their concerns are of great importance to us. Rest assured that your comment about housekeeping and food and beverage service will be taken into consideration in order to ensure that our service is constantly kept to the highest level meeting our guests’ expectations and needs at all times.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We had an amazing stay here in June. The staff are brilliant, very welcoming and helpful without the stuffiness of most hotels of this standard. The rooms and big and comfortable and the facilities are lovely - the view from the roof bar has to be seen to be believed. The highlight is the vaporetto that goes from the hotel jetty to the Old Town - the main reason we booked and a lovely way to go in and out of town.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lindsay_90

Dear lindsay_90,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I am absolutely delighted to read that you enjoyed your stays with us, especially our Vaporetto boat transfer.
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future visits to Dubrovnik

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This in my view is the nicest hotel in Dubrovnik.....

The decor and environment is second to none. The location is great; the hotel providing both complimentary boat and taxi services into the centre of Dubrovnik ....the boat is particularly lovely as it is a retro Italian number ....

Nice indoor pool area with open sun-bathing area .....although we preferred the sun-beds by the sea.

Overall very enjoyable stay ....only reason for 4 stars rather than 5 is that we had a bit of a problem with the bill when we left; we were charged for items we hadn't had, and whilst it was sorted I felt they thought we were being trivial despite it being a substantial amount of money.

I hope this was just a minor oversight on their behalf as the majority of staff that we dealt with were absolutely first-class, we really enjoyed it and would like to return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sje

Dera Sje

Thank you for posting your experiences, we are absolutely thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us. I appreciate your feedback and truly regret for your departure experience with the bill charge. I shared it with my management.
We look forward to welcoming you back on future visits.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights as a treat at the end of a lovely holiday in this part of Croatia. It's very expensive but overall a lovely experience. The staff were excellent, we were greeted from the cliff side lift by a charming guy who showed us around the hotel while our room was being prepared. The hotel is in a perfect spot, a short 10-15 mins walk downhill to the old town, or a 5 minute cruise in the stunning hotel boat which ferries guests across hourly. Wow, that is a special experience.

Views from all of the rooms are beautiful, we stayed on the 3rd floor in the wing set slightly back from the main area and had the most stunning view of Lokrum Island and a different luxury yacht moored up in the channel each night. I would say all rooms have an equally great view.

The room itself was good, king sized bed v comfortable, the TV is a little odd on its pole in the middle but great for TV in bed if that's your thing! The glass bathroom had a privacy curtain that covers most of it (annoying leaving a little gap so if you are not with a close friend this could be an issue!), twin sinks and a shower in the bath. The shower was fine but could be improved with a bigger shower head and slightly less awkward position (it's in the middle of the bath rather than the end, but I am being fussy here!). Disappointed in a hotel of this standard not to have a coffee machine, sachets of Nescafé and a kettle are not good enough, sorry Villa Dubrovnik! Complimentary bottle of water on day 1 only. No milk for coffee on day 2 either. Also disappointed to have to pay £17 for two tops to be ironed. There was option to iron anything yourself which may be the norm in some 5 star business hotels but I feel this is unreasonable for most holiday travellers and I felt a bit conned to be left with on other choice.

The 'beach' area is typical of this stretch of Coast with sun beds out on the rocks and steps to the crystal clear sea. Lovely, although some of the sun beds were a bit tatty, again I'm being fussy but you are paying a lot to stay here!

We only ate breakfast which was an 'all you can eat a la carte', i.e. order whatever you like from the menu for a set price of about 22 euros. This was good and the service excellent.

I'd recommend this hotel for the general ambience, style, location, views, service and the private boat, it's a classy place, but I disagree with reviewers who say its flawless. With a few adjustments it could be, but not quite yet.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LondonMolly99
Villa_Management, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear LondonMolly99,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Villa Dubrovnik.
Whilst I am pleased to hear you appreciated the service from our dedicated team and overall hotel amenities, I was disappointed to hear this particular guestroom facilities were not to your liking. We do offer complimentary bottle of water each day and I appologize if you didn't recieve it. I will share this feedback with my managers in order to emphasize service details.
I also appreciate your feedback with regards to shower, TV location which we will take into account in the following reconstruction.
Looking forward to your next visit.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 July 2014

xcellent rooms, with beautiful views of the sea and nearest island (most rooms do not have views of the Old City, but the view of the Old City is wonderful from the roof bar and the breakfast terrace). Staff very helpful and friendly (as we found in all Croatian hotels). Breakfast waiting staff especially keen (especially Ivo) to deliver your meal precisely as you want it, and nothing is too much trouble (I thought I was being fussy asking for eggs florentine and apsaragus, neither of which were on the menu, but then the guests on the table next to me had the most precise breakfast order I have ever heard, including "a mix of 1/3 double cream and 2/3 iced water for my cereal" - all delivered as specified).

As other reviewers have commented the breakfast is a little pricey at €30, but it is a stunning setting and really good, plus served from 7-11 (though we saw guests come for breakfast at 11.20 and the staff served them without a murmur) so just factor it into the price, or go B&B in advance. We also had wonderful prawn and avocado salad with potato wedges off the bar snacks menu, which was quite reasonably priced and delicious - we found the bar snacks menu far more appealing than the lunch menu as it happens!

Also as other reviewers have commented the vaporetto service to the Old City of wonderful. A lovely boat, polished to an inch of its life, very comfortable, and even for my wife, who needs a crutch after a hip replacement recently, not to bad to get on and off.

Swimming pool very nice indoor/outdoor depending on the weather, and a plentiful abundance of fluffy towels. Mr & Mrs Smith extra was a half hour each on a sound and light bed in the spa. Didn't do much for me, but my wife liked it!

"Beach" area a little disappointing, as it comprises concrete platforms built into the very rocky cliffs. There were no sunbeds available the day we arrived, as there is not enough space and too many guests. Also, to get down and up there is a very steep flight of stairs that my wife struggled with.

Now... I'm going to be ultra-critical, but only because this is a 5 star, premium prices hotel, where everything should ideally be perfect. So little niggles! The placement of the TV on a metal pole in the middle of the bedroom is bizarre, plus, when there was a storm and my wife and I decided to watch a movie off my macbook, the staff were unable to get the TV to see the HDMI input (the usual problem of rooms only having a "guest" remote, not a proper TV remote, but the IT dept didn't have a proper remote either). Also, as mentioned, my wife needs a crutch, and the fact that the room only had a shower over the bath - no walk-in shower) meant she couldn;t lift her leg over the very high rim of the bath, so couldn't either shower or bathe other than by going along the corridor to the (very nice) spa. Finally, on the little niggles front, we asked for a private transfer from Lopud island, and were advised by Villa Dubrovnik to come at 9am. I said this was too early, we got the hotel on Lopud to arrange a transfer at 11am. I told Villa Dubrovnik this, and they said that was fine. I assumed this meant that our room would be available at noon or soon after, but when we arrived neither the check in staff nor housekeeping knew anything about this, and we had to wait another two hours for our room. Partly my fault for assuming, and official check-in is a rather late 3pm, but a shame that no-one connected the dots.

However these really are small things, overall an excellent hotel, but then one would expect it to be for the prices being charged.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brian W

Dear Brian W,

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Many thanks for your kind words for Ivo and the breakfast service. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed our unique Vaporetto service.
I regret for your arrival experience. We allways try to do our best to accommodate guests as soon as possible. My team and I appreciate your feedback and suggestions for improvements.

Looking forward to your nest visit.

Best regards,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Villa Dubrovnik is a spectacular hotel with stunning views, amazing staff, and a perfect location. It was hard to leave honestly - every day I had to force myself to leave this place to go see the sights - which they made easy with the daily Venetian style boat that takes you to the city. Breakfast was flawless and delicious, the spa was incredible and I really loved the rooftop bar for a late night cocktail after a day of sightseeing. I had the most beautiful suite I have ever stayed in - with views that pictures just couldn't do justice. My favorite was probably the pool...lounge in the sun and then jump right in the ocean from the rocks! 5 star all the way...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank munybnyraima
Villa_Management, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear munybnyraima;

Thank you for your very nice feedback!

I am truly glad to hear that you really enjoyed staying at our Villa Dubrovnik.

Thank you also for pointing out the delicious breakfast you have had in our restaurant. We proud ourselves in using the freshest products on the market. I am also glad you enjoyed treatments in our Spa center.

I hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back soon.

Best regards

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Unfortunately we spent only one night in this beautiful hotel in the most perfect location. Much can be said about it's amazing views, convenient access by boat to the old town etc.. The hotel is simply beautifully designed and speaks a quiet luxurious language. We would have loved to stay longer and shall recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: The rooms on the west side face the old town.