“An enjoyable stay”

Ranked #17 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Woking, United Kingdom
“An enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

For our first trip to Croatia my wife and me stayed at the Lapad, half board with Inghams and we were not dissappointed.
In accordance with the Ingham brochure the accommodation would be allocated in the new wing and our booked superior room was on the 4th floor although because the building is on a hill our balcony was actually an outside area with two chairs and a table and a view of Gruz harbour from the outside area. The room was very clean with some modern lighting controls which did take some getting used to. The air condition was effective and the rain shower in the bathroom very good. Unlike some of the reviews I have seen, I found the Wi Fi very effective in the bedroom and in the public area's for the whole week.

All staff were very friendly although we did find the male receptionists rather curt in their response. The same could not be said for the bar staff who were very friendly and courteous at all times.
Excellent English was spoken by all that we met and it was true what the driver of our excursion coach said at the start of one of our tours - I bet I can speak better English that you can Croatian. He was dead right there!

A number of reviewers have commented on the lack of sunbeds for the hotel. I think the issue was more the confined area of where the sun could be captured especially in the September/ October late afternoon sunshine. There were plenty of stacked unused beds in the garden area.

Regarding the restaurant, the breakfast buffet was good and there was plenty to chose from. As for the evening buffet, although it was acceptable it was much the same on most evenings especially the sweets which was just fruit and mostly cake. It would have been nice to have some cheese and biscuits on offer. I wish now that we had tried the a la carte menu seeing other comments since our return.

Getting around Dubrovnik was quite easy and the No 6 bus was well used by us although full on most occasions. Taking the full run to Babin Kuk was worth the effort as we was able to take a short walk to Copacabana beach. Not a lot there but very pleasant sitting having a drink on a warm day.

Finally and this is more for the holiday provider than the hotel, the one excursion we took was to Montenegro. The vehicle we had was a minibus which was full and we was fortunate to have the front seats beside the driver. The excursion itself was very good but the surprise to us was the driver was also the guide who was holding the microphone and driving at the same time. How someone can concentrating on driving on quite bendy roads while at the same time giving a very good in depth description of the surrounding area and history of Croatia / Montenegro beats me. I doubt such activity is against the law in Croatia but it would not be allowed in the UK. Not certain this is a common practice on excursions as the driver did make a point of telling us that he was having to do both activities.

Overall a very enjoyable stay and would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to others.

Room Tip: Getting a room with an outside area (not a balcony) gives more room for two people to sit outside.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
East Sussex
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed for five days in room 25 which was at the front of the hotel giving great views of the sea and overlooking the swimming pool. The room was air-conditioned and had tea making facilities. The TV didn't have much choice of channels, but we only had it on in the morning to watch the news from BBC world. The restaurant is light and airy and the food was very good. One evening we ate around the pool and was serenaded by the resident band(quite romantic). The staff were very helpful and spoke perfect English. The hotel is right on the sea front with views of the cruise ships that come in and out of Dubrovnik each day. So if you want a beach it is about a 10 minute walk. There is a regular bus service into Dubrovnik Old town every 15 minutes or so with the stop right outside the hotel. I would recommend you get a 3 day Dubrovnik card from reception which gives you 10 bus rides and entrance to all the attractions, the cost was 180,000 HKR (approx £18). You can also get boat trips to various islands right outside the hotel entrance. If you just wish to sit around the pool all day, then you are supplied with hotel towels to put on the loungers. It never gets too crowded around the pool and there is a garden sanctuary if you want some shade.

Room Tip: Beware- not all of the rooms have a balcony so if a balcony is a must make sure it is specified when...
Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed for 2 weeks in a very quiet and comfortable room in the `new `block. Modern, great bathroom, challenging light switches, which became a running joke. Small balcony, no sea view, nice view anyhow, but only one chair. No tea making facilties, should be in this 4 star hotel. Right on harbour front with different cruise liners each day across the bay. can walk to Old City and Lapad beach, but no. 6 bus stops outside. go the `long way round` if you want a seat. Buffet breakfast and dinner with a very good choice and changing dinner menus, always found something enjoyable. A la carte also available, and ask for Ice Cream. Not much in immediate area, but walk towards Lapad beach for a good selection of bars and restaunts. Don`t miss the cave bar at More Hotel just past Lapad beach. plenty of nice walks around the coast to work off the dinners.

Room Tip: Try for a side sea room with balcony, or front room, both at a surcharge
Scotland
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is a lovely, modern hotel. We booked through the hotel's website and got a good price for a classic with a balcony (no sea view). We had room 310 which was grand but if you like to get the sun, I recommend that you request the rooms from 11 to 16 as those got the sun for most of the day; the 3rd floor rooms, in the extension part of the hotel, had a terrace, so would be lovely to sit out in.
Most people have commented on the limited sun lounger space around the pool and I would agree - the best place to get the sun for the majority of the day is to get as close to the gates (which weren't closed until early afternoon) as this reduces the number of times you need to move your sun bed. We also took the short walk to the pebble beach at Lapad, which had loungers for 15 kuna per day. Another trip advisor reviewer had noted the short cut that's just out and to the left of the hotel. Follow the steps up street Kumicica, past the Pemo supermarket and this takes you to the pedestrian area with restaurants and bars that lead to the beach (Zvonimira).
The bus to the old town was handy and you could pay on the bus at a cost of 15 kuna; there is a kiosk next to the tourist information centre just outside of the entrance to the old town which says that the charge is 12 kuna.
We didn't eat in the hotel, other than breakfast which had a reasonable selection of foods suiting most traveller's taste.On the whole, I'd recommend the Lapad for couples, friends, business and solo travellers, probably not enough to do for families with youngish children.

Room Tip: I'd emailed the hotel with my request for a lower floor and they accommodated this. We were on t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The hotel is one of the older hotels in beautiful Dubrovnik and its got a lot of character which is a reflection of this lovely town. I arrived in the night and checked into a single room which I had booked on line. I booked for a single room for my first night as I flew in on the night flight and just needed a fairly decent place to lay my head but paid for a double room for subsequent days. However i was pleasantly surprised when I checked in, the single room was a very good size and comfortable with impressive decor. I stayed in the new part of the hotel. It can be a bit confusing navigating from the front reception to the new section of the hotel as you would have to change lifts but once you've done the route a few times, you will get quite comfortable navigating around.

I was fortunate to get upgraded to a junior suite which was exceptionally roomy with 2 toilets, a lounge and huge queen size bed and lovely views. It had its own private patio!
My stay in the hotel was very pleasant and found the staff very helpful and friendly. The buffet breakfast is one of the best that I've had in a hotel, there are so many choices; Continental, English breakfast, American and Mediterranean type breakfast. The waiters are equally attentive.

There is a nice outdoor area by the pool for sunbathing and relatively easy to find a spot if that's your thing, although preferred to be closer to nature sunbathing by the many shores of the Adriatic sea.

The hotel is a bus ride from the old town and Bus 6 to the Old town stops right outside the hotel which makes it easy to get around. Most of the guests were in the near retired/retired age bracket so if you are looking to mingle with a more youthful crowd this may not be the place for you.

I couldn't fault the hotel on quality of service and friendliness of the staff.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms overlook this lovely rustic town, but worth paying extra for a sea facing room. No...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My wife and me stayed at the Lapad last week, half board with Thomsons. It is a bit like a business hotel and a bit like a tourist hotel but, to be fair, the Lapad combines the two quite well. Most of the staff were pleasant and helpful and the food quality & choice was good. Some of the tables in the middle of the restaurant are very close together so after the first night we ate early to get a table on the periphery as they are a bit more isolated. Having said that we got chatting to a lovely couple from Banbury when we 'shared' a table!
Our room was in the new wing and this entails taking two lifts when burdened with luggage but at other times we merely used the single flight of stairs near reception
so it was no problem and I'm sure the porter would have taken the luggage to and from the room if asked. The room was modern (a degree in 'lampology' is needed to work out the lights!) ,clean and a decent size. As has been reported ad nauseum by previous TA reviewers we only had one chair on the balcony - we used the bathroom stool. The wifi was iffy too. The room was lovely and quiet until our last night when a young buffoon came in to an adjacent room at 3am, sozzled and laughed continuously for ninety minutes with a noise not dissimilar to the bray of a donkey. Not the hotel's fault though. The trump card for us was the hotel's position. The old city is a forty minute walk or a short bus ride away. I preferred the number six bus experience as it took me back to my schooldays and the games of British Bulldog I so enjoyed. As is the norm on the continent all is peaceful around the bus stop until the bus comes into view and that is the cue for the maul to start. Luckily my wife despite being small has been to the January sales in London a couple of times and also has particularly pointy elbows. At least the journey prepares you for what is to come in the old city.
Also mentioned by previous TA reviews is the Cave Bar which is worth a walk for an afternoon 'refresher'. Go left out of the hotel, left at the petrol pumps then follow your nose, past the bars etc., until you reach Lapad beach. Bear right along the shore walkway for a couple of minutes and hey presto! Incidentally if you think the Hotel Lapad is upmarket (and it is) if you carry on along the path there are several hotels there that are much swankier. They had TWO chairs on their balconies. And a table!
Joking aside, the Lapad was excellent and we'd definitely recommend.

1 Thank clgardens
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We are just back from Dubrovnik and our stay at the Hotel Lapad. All staff were really friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean. BUT, I never stayed in a hotel were I have to change elevator 3x to get from the Lobby to my room. I payed for a room with balcony and sea view, the balcony was 1m X 1m, just to fit one chair and the sea view is actually the view onto Cruz Harbour (picture below). Very misleading when booking a room.
Breakfast offered a huge choice, but lunch wasn't as good.
I wouldn't recommend having a cocktail or long drink in the Hotel Bar, its actually not very good.
Just a few steps out side the hotel gate is a lovely little family run restaurant called 'Mozart'. Husband cookes, wife is front of house and mother in law makes plum schnaps. Food was just extraordinary.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple