“Good clean fun”

Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Wells, Maine
“Good clean fun”
Reviewed 28 June 2011

This hotel is clearly designed for tourists, but it also has some very nice, clean, mini-suites that are suitable for business travelers to Dubrovnik. On balance I give it a 4 rating, although its probably more like a 3.5+

Disclosure:I stayed in a mini-suite that was about 35% larger than a typical room.

Plus points: Clean well appointed rooms. Outside parking area for hire car, internet was free and good quality (wired and wireless). Good pool, reasonable fitness area, good views. Easy trip by taxi (15 mins) to Dubrovnik old city.

Not so plus for business: Its essentially a tourist hotel so many groups coming and going and reception can be chaotic at times. Breakfast was fine but not stellar. One important point: some of the rooms (mine) had no safe, so ask before hand, if this is important. None of the rooms have irons/ironing boards, which is a pain if you are on business. They do have an area you can go to use an iron and this was satisfactory although certainly not ideal... or you can pay them to do it...

Staff were fine and considerate, albeit oriented to a typical 'no-nonsense' approach to be expected from dealing with hordes of foreign 'bus tourists' on a daily basis.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 June 2011

For vacation, the two most important elements for me in choosing a hotel are location and view from the room. That's why, after reading comments on trip advisor and other places, I chose the Neptun Hotel. But I still crossed my fingers, hoping I hadn't made a mistake, for I had a package deal with a flight -- and a hotel for 6 nights.

The view from my balcony was one you could die for. Dazzling sunsets over the Dalmatian coast every single night and a look across the sea to the nearby Elafiti rock island inhabited only by a lighthouse.

In all, I visited five different islands and checked out their beaches, including some reputedly to be the cleanest along the Adriatic, yet I found the best spot for swimming and sunning was from (or on) the rocks, directly below the hotel. The Adriatic is simply luscious (and chilly!).

Outside the hotel, there is a lovely 15-minute shaded walkway above the rocks, parallel to the sea with a sprinkling of cafes along the way until you reach the public Lapad beach. Along the walkway I found a guy who gave private sailing lessons.

I found the hotel reception staff exceedingly helpful. One even walked me outside the hotel to show me the narrow path leading to the bus stop. It was just a three-minute walk. It is the first stop on the route to the Old Town, so even if the bus becomes crowded, one has a seat. The ride is roughly 20 minutes, part of it elbow to elbow with the locals and part of it with stunning views of the coast and sea.

I found Croatian food fresh, yet bland. I tried a number of most recommended restaurants in Lonely Planet and Eye Witness. Because my hotel package included dinner as well as breakfast, I discovered that dining around 7 before the group tours arrived was more quiet. And a buffet is always better before everyone puts their fork in all the dishes! I love risottos and the most scrumptious ones I ate in Dubrovnik were at the Neptun – one was shrimp and the other claimed to be celery!

The room was small, very adequate for a solo traveler, but probably crowded for a duo. I was comfortable, "living" there for nearly a week. What was most important to me was that wifi was available from the room and free. Although on vacation, I needed to be connected to my work. There are also two computers in the lobby area free for hotel guests that were nearly always available.

I loved staying at the Neptun – the view of course made all the difference. It is a superior four-star hotel and I am now recommending it to all my family and friends.

1 Thank holylandpilgrim
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Stayed here for a week in July and only just getting around to reveiwing. This place is amazing. From the Taxi pick up at the airport to the taxi ride home this hotel provided us service like we've never experienced. Their reccomendations on restaurants never failed to impress. Their slick management of the pool, rock beach and bar area were second to none. Their breakfast was devine and the rooms were very spacious with private balcony also. Every staff member was happy and welcoming and the front desk was run with precision.

It is situated amongst two sistering hotels and surrounded by a walk way that can take you right into the night life restaurant area. The bus stop is directly outside it's front doors and it is the first stop so you always get a seat.

We loved the hotel, we loved the city and we will definitely be returning. This place knows what service means and delivers on it.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kiwi_Tripping
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 7 May 2011

This was our first time in Eastern Europe so we didn't know what to expect. Having just spent a week in Rome, we were thrilled by how clean and friendly Croatia was. The hotel staff was very friendly and so very helpful. The location was perfect. We caught the public bus a half block from the hotel. It ran about every 20 minutes. We never had to take a taxi. The hotel ever arranged transportation to and from the airport. The rooms were typical european in that they were not very large, but very clean. We had a balcony with a fabulous view. The breakfast was included and was very good. We would love to return to Croatia and the Neptun Hotel.

• Stayed May 2011
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Writing this review very late, but promised Dennis, the owner/manager that I would do so, and have been feeling guilty about not doing it earlier, especially since we use Trip Advisor a lot! In short, the Neptune is lovely. It has a great European feel to it, with an open lobby, great service and comfortable rooms. The highlight though really is the pool, bar and restaurants that are set into the rocks overlooking the Adriatic. You can also jump off the rocks (nothing too scary, as my 11 year old daughter loved jumping off into the sea). The staff service is great, and while we often like quieter places, this is one that has such a great feel to it. I also have to compliment Dennis, who happens to be a fellow Canadian, on his welcoming nature. We met him when we were checking out and he offered to help my 13 year old daughter carry her bags out. After having a nice chat about the hotel, we needed to store some bags as we were going on a cruise of the Adriatic, he allowed us to come back when we had a 8 hour window on our last day and just hang out at the hotel and enjoy the facilities. Dubrovnik's a great city, and what a welcoming property.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank CalgaryFive312
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed 17 April 2011

During our short trip to Croatia we stayed at 2 hotels in Dubrovnik: Radisson and Neptun. We booked the hotels for the same price. Compared to Radisson, Neptun is less chic and the breakfast there is less impressive, so are the spa facilities. But still this is a nice hotel - it has a less deserted location (Radisson is really in the middle of nowhere) and the sea view is just as great. What I didn't like at Neptun is that instead of a double bed we had 2 twin beds put together.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Tanchick
Belgium
Reviewed 16 April 2011

We got upgraded from a standard room to one with a sea view for free (outside of the high season!), and if you ever stay in this hotel, make sure you book a room with sea view. It's wonderful! The sea is 30m below and in front of you, and watching the sunrise/sunset from the (rather small) balcony is a true experience!
The rooms themselves are rather old style, but spacious, clean, and with all comfort.
Breakfast choice is vast (large selection of hot and cold items) and good, but in a large and impersonal cafeteria.
Indoor swimming pool is a bit small. Fitness area right next to it has all equipment you need to stay in shape.
The hotel itself is located 5km from the old town, kind of in the middle of nowhere. If you have your own transport, this should be no problem.
Did not check out beach facilities since the weather was too cold at the time.
If you're looking for a quiet place not too far from the city centre, and if you have your own transport, this is an excellent price/value hotel. Would certainly come back.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family