“One of the best steaks we ever had”

Gil's Little Bistro
Ranked #40 of 406 Restaurants in Dubrovnik
Price range: US$9 - US$31
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Situated in the middle of the bustling luminous Old Town of Dubrovnik but tucked away neatly in a little side street allows the perfect balance of summer atmosphere and privacy amongst friends and/or family. Gil's Little Bistro is Little in size and large in quality!
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We went to this restaurant 4 adults and 2 children on our vacation to Croatia. I made reservation 2 weeks in advance before coming, however they do not combine in one list reservations made in advance over emails and reservations made recently over the phone, good thing I checked, if they have my reservation, while walking in the city in the afternoon, they did not find me, I showed a proof (printout from computer, email response) and got it confirmed. That was the only negative part about the restaurant, otherwise the food was delicious, we ate great steaks in Argentina, Montana and Virginia (USA), Istria, these were on the top list of the quality of the steaks. The desert, chocolate lava cake was one of the best we had. The wine was good, but more expensive than anywhere in Croatia. The service was good, they were very busy that night, so it was very hard for the waiters to give anybody special attention, but the owner came out at the end apologized for slower service and treated us with tasty liquors on the house. It was the most expensive meal we had on our Slovenia/Croatia trip, but I can not say it is more expensive than equal quality food in some other places we traveled to and it was worth it, the food was delicious, so we do not feel bad to spend the money.

Mirjana D, Owner at Gil's Little Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for your nice comment.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My new husband & I booked dinner here to celebrate out honeymoon... They reserved a special table for us at the top end of the street... The starters of goats cheese & pâté was lovely as was the homemade bread... The mains of sea bream & beef were delicious... You are certainly getting what you pay for here...
Then as a surprise they brought out a beautiful desert for us & wrote happy honeymoon on the board :)
The waiting staff are excellent & happy to explain the menu in detail & clearly enjoy their job... Our waiter gave us amazing tips for dining out in Zagreb & wrote everything down to ensure we could understand it... Basically just a perfect experience :)

1  Thank Pam S

We appreciate your feedback. Thanks a lot!

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

With one main course and a desert the bill clocked in at 400 Kuna per person! That is the most expensive dinner we ate in our 8 days stay in Dubrovnik. However, the beef was super good. The side dish (creamed potatoes) was just average.

Mirjana D, Owner at Gil's Little Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Thank you!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is not the cheapest restaurant in Dubrovnik, but here you are paying for the food, not the position or waiters in fancy outfits. I found it very good value considering the quality of the meal.

The service is efficient, friendly and knowledgeable; the location in a small side street, just off the Stradun, is quite typical for Dubrovnik. It's not the best looking, but once you start eating then your attention is on the meal.

The starter of Gravadlax Sashimi was of very high quality and couldn't be faulted. We had to go for the steaks and these were excellent; the meat was flavoursome and cooked to perfection - I recommend highly the pepper sauce, which was more like a red wine jus with peppercorns - very tasty. I also had the dauphinoise potatoes, which I find a good test, and these were very well done, crispy on the top and creamy underneath.

We had a 440Kn bottle of wine and the bill came to just over 1600Kn for 2 courses for three of us. I don't see that as pricey, given the quality of the ingredients, but you can make your own mind up.

Thanks for sharing a nice story about us,

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This bistro has great location in Old Town with good quality meat dishes. It is quite pricy however. Make sure to check menu before visiting. It is great that the kids menu is real food = the same as adults and not just burgers and chicken fingers. The service was great and I would especially like to thank the lady who ran after us into the street since we left without having tried the complimentary Grappa that we were offered. Food is superb! We visited Gil's based upon recommendation from a friend and I would like to pass on this recommendation!