“Not worthy of the stars.”

Hotel Dubrovnik Palace
Ranked #8 of 67 Hotels in Dubrovnik
San Diego, California
“Not worthy of the stars.”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

This hotel does not live up to it's 5 star status - which is why I chose it in the first place. My room had a awful smell coming from the toilet, I could hear the very audible sound of the person in the next room peeing and there seemed to be some sort of construction going on as well.

I would've complained to the hotel staff if I felt I would've got anywhere - however, after travelling extensively through Croatia, I found them to be not friendly, impersonable and cold. In fact, they seemed to act as if I should be privileged to stay there. In my opinion, this hotel is over rated and I will not stay here or recommend this hotel to anyone. There are so many other hotels/ b&b's and guesthouses that will give you much better value you for money, service with a smile and the same stunning view of the Adriatic. Beware - stars do not mean anything - such a bad way to end a trip to an amazing country.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Erica R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed 14 October 2011

First visit to Croatia - and boy, did we choose well! This 5 star hotel merits the greatest possible praise and is a tribute to Croatian tourism. Facilities great and staff could not be any nicer - friendly, helpful and efficient. Location breathtaking, convenient courtesy coach to/from

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank RayBillington
h_dubrovnik_palace, General Manager at Hotel Dubrovnik Palace, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
thank you very much for your review.
We are truly honoured you choose our hotel for your first visit to Croatia.
I hope you had time to enjoy our beautiful country and the city of Dubrovnik as much as our hotel. Hopefully, it won't be your last but first of many trips.
We are looking forward to your next visit.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Stayed at the Palace for both pleasure and business Sept 26th to Oct 2nd. I was blessed with a suite even though I was by myself... Service was excellent, staff very friendly and they make their best effort to address you in English, the pool and beach were excellent, breakfast on the terrace every morning was exquisite! I had a massage at the spa which was one of the best I ever had (ask for Stephan!). The spa has 2 whirlpools, saunas and pool you can use at your leisure. Did not try the gym but it looked quite nice.

To bring from home: conditioner and your blow dryer (they have one, but it's not very good!). A mask and tuba for snorkeling right in front of the hotel.

Do not miss the sunsets! The bus to town is also fun. Do go up the trail in the back of the hotel. You'll have a great view.

Room Tip: I was on the 5th floor and had a great view and room was quiet. I expect the view is obstructed on...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Ti-Luce
thank you very much for your review.
It is nice to hear you enjoyed a little bit of everything our hotel has to offer. I'm glad you relaxed and enjoyed yourself and hope the conference you attended was successfull as well.
We are looking forward to your next visit.
California
Reviewed 4 October 2011

My friends and I stayed here for 4 days in Sept. 2011 and it was lovely. I recommend that you rent Segways and tour the opposite peninsula where there are nice cafes and homes and beach. It was a pretty view from there, looking over at our hotel. The segways are really easy and fun -- a treat because they're not yet too popular in California which is sad.
Our room was nice, the balcony a treat, the pool was great great great, and the beach below very fun. All the staff were delightful to us. I can't say much about the food..... but it's not the hotel's fault. Croatian food didn't appeal to us much. The sushi bar was very elegant and had decent food. Loved taking the bus to the old town - met locals. I am so glad we chose this hotel instead of a hotel next to old town. Good choice. The prices in Croatia are so welcome after some of the steep and ridiculous prices I witnessed in other cities in Europe. Dobra Dan everyone. See you again I hope !

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
h_dubrovnik_palace, General Manager at Hotel Dubrovnik Palace, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
thank you very much for your review.
I'm glad you and your friends enjoyed our country, or town and most of all our hotel.
We reccommend ourselves for your future vacations.
Thank you for choosing Dubrovnik Palace for your holliday.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 October 2011

My wife and I just celebrated a wedding anniversary at this hotel. The location is fabulous and, as many reviewers say, the views are stunning. The swimming pools outdoor and indoors are great. There is no beach but there are steps off a concreted, rocky, area directly into the sea which is wonderful clear water and warm. Our main sadness was that the room was really very small and certainly not any bigger than the average 2 star hotel. The balcony was small but had a wonderful view straight out to the islands. The TV, which we didn't particularly need, did not work well. The air conditioning did not reduce the temperature even through the whole night below 24 degrees C. (and that is warm by any standards for sleeping in a good quality hotel!) Noise of doors banging down the corridor revealed how poor the sound proofing is. The prices throughout were five star prices (specially the restaurants) while the room and service were a poor four star at best. There was no interest in us at reception. Even though we had said we were celebrating a wedding anniversary and had booked a "double" room we got a "twin" room and no acknowledgment of the anniversary. The best people we encountered were the kind and gracious young women who served us a really good buffet breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 01PDG01
Skopje
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I have been staying in this fabulous hotel for 4 days and I have only excellent marks for almost everything. The inner is highly aesthetic achievement. The view from the rooms, terrace and lobby is phenomenal. The staff were professional, smiling in every situation, helpful and concern. The rooms are lovely, but the magnetic card is a problem, because you can enter into your room on second or third attempt or with a help of the staff. The indoor and outdoor pools are clean and they meet the standards of such hotels. Maybe the manager of the hotel might think improving entrance into the sea from the beach, because now is little bit more risky.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
h_dubrovnik_palace, General Manager at Hotel Dubrovnik Palace, responded to this review, 5 October 2011
Dear guest,
thank you for your review.
I am very glad to hear you enjoyed our hotel and that it fulfilled your expectations.
Thank you for the remark about the sea entrance, it has already been acted upon.
Thank you for choosing Dubrovnik Palace for your Dubrovnik vacation.
We are looking forward to your return.
Bloomfield, NJ
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We just returned from a 10 day vacation to Croatia and Montenegro to celebrate our 11 year anniversary.
While in Croatia we stayed at the Dubrovnik Palace and I wished we stayed there the entire time! What a great hotel that is clean, friendly and has beyond gorgeous views.
Getting in and out of Old Town was very easy as the bus stops right in front of the hotel. The pools are clean and well kept along with the sea side sunning areas. The staff was super pleasant and helpful. My husband used the spa and raved about the service (he had a very stiff neck from travel and they seemed very engaged to help).
We can not wait to return to Dubrovnik and will definitely stay at the Dubrovnik Palace.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the Adriatic.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JLatzman
h_dubrovnik_palace, General Manager at Hotel Dubrovnik Palace, responded to this review, 4 October 2011
Dear guest,
thank you for your review.
Congratulations on your anniversary!!! Thank you for honoring us by choosing our hotel to celebrate such an important occasion.
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay and hopeful that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you againg in the near future.