“Beautiful views!”

Ranked #8 of 67 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Beautiful views!”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

After reading the reviews of this hotel (prior to our visit) we really didn't know what to expect. The reviews we read turned out to be pretty accurate. The rooms and the restaurant turned out to bring the hotel from a 5* to a 4* at best. The rooms were dated and the evening buffet was not 5*. We were glad we had only booked B and B because it gave us the opportunity to experience the excellent choice of restaurants in the walled city (20 minute bus ride door to door for £5 return, two people).

The views from our balcony and from the rest of the hotel were amazing! You have to get up extremely early to get a sun lounger. Lots of people left their towels for several hours. Staff didn't seem bothered about this. The pool area is very clean with good facilities.

The cleaning staff were extremely friendly and the chocolates each night were a nice touch.

The location of the hotel is excellent if you want to be secluded, yet has easy access (bus every 20 minutes to walled area of Dubrovnik) to Lapad beach (10 minute walk away).

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the hotel and if we returned to Dubrovnik would most definitely stay at the hotel again. It was by far the best hotel we saw!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki
Reviewed 5 August 2012

First of all, this hotel is not 5-star if you think US five star or five star here in Finland. In US this would be rated as 3, or maybe 4-star hotel. If you get over this disappointment, it's nice hotel with excellent room service. Cleaning twice a day, they somehow always manage to clean your room while you're having a breakfast. Also view to the sea is amazing, take some sparkling wine and watch the sunset on your private balcony (yes, they're pretty private).

Then some bad news, the breakfast is not that good. It's really basic hotel breakfast, nothing special here. Dinner experience on the buffet was horrible. We got deep apologies from the personnel so I'm not going to go details here as they were truly sorry. However the food is horrible, I don't know how it's possible to cook all the different meats to taste the same rubber boot. Prices on the all hotel restaurants were absurd when you compare to restaurants in Dubrovnik or Split, also the food was in all the restaurants really poorly cooked and unseasoned.

Normally I would ignore all the hotel restaurants but the location of Dubrovnik Palace is not that good in terms of restaurants. There's no any other restaurants nearby so you need to get to center. However, getting to center is easy, there's a bus stop basically on the front door. You can buy bus tickets from the receptionist (12 kunas single one-way) and it's only 10-15min ride to the center. You should do this after the sunset so it's not that hot and also the lights of Dubrovnik look beautiful on the night.

Pool area.... it's way too small. If you are not morning person, forget about getting a sun bed in decent location. Really you won't get it. People go there straight 8am to reserve all the chairs. However if you're lucky, there's really nice places by the sea if you go away from pool area. Those are quiet and nice. If you're into swimming in the ocean, make sure to get swimming shoes. There's a lot of slippery rocks in the bottom so you may hurt yourself without them. Pool is really small and there's no shower next to the pool entrance which was a bit weird, I wonder how clean the water is as basically nobody takes a shower before entering the pool?

But still, we had really good time. We enjoyed our stay even though this was not really a five star resort what we expected. With small and some bigger changes I think this could be really excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Ask a room near elevator if you don't want to spend time on walking to your room, it can be real...
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I can truly recommend this hotel! The most friendly staff I have ever met, wonderful location and spacious rooms! The food in the restaurants is very good, even at the buffet. We ended up eating all our meals at the hotel which wasn't part of the plan. We went out to Lapad Bay (great walk, app. 10 minutes away) and tried some restaurants there, but the food and service was poor and prices as high as in the hotel.

Since we travelled with two small children we had our worries about how the children will be taken care of. (They really are a bit wild, two boys aged 4). But not one single time did we feel uncomfortable. On one occasion the children got really hungry one hour before the restaurant opened for lunch. But the staff assured us that they could prepare something for them even if they were closed at the moment. I have never before experienced such flexibility and we have travelled a lot with our children and visited various luxury hotels in Greece, Spain, Dubai, Malta etc.

The location - my god what a view! The sea was clean and there were a lot of private small beaches to hide on when the pool area got crowded. I am really fond of cliffs and swimming in the sea, so I couldn't understand all the people laying by the pool. But I was happy for the extra space at the beach they left for me.

I think that the whole discussion whether Palace is a "true" five star hotel or not is irrelevant. No, this is not The Ritz-Carlton in Dubai but I felt far more comfortable and taken care at Palace then at The RC. It lacks some of the features five star-travelers are used to. But this is compensated by friendliness and true kindness.

We had the most perfect vacation and we are definitely coming back to Dubrovnik Palace next year.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I was really looking forward to the Dubrovnik Palace which was a one-night stay for us before a cruise of the Islands. The pictures looked amazing and having been to Santorini in 2011 our expectations were maybe a little too high.

Whilst the views didn't disappoint, this is a large modern hotel of Hiltonesque decor sitting like a bit of a concrete slab against the coastline. We had a lovely spacious room with a nice balcony. The bathroom had a big double sink and the shower was good. It had all the required mod-cons you would need. The pool area was well-presented with a swim up bar and waterfall. There was step down platforms into the beautiful blue sea. We had a nice (albeit pricey) lunch on the terrace and the buffet breakfast in the morning outside overlooking the sea was really pleasant.

However, we both agreed we just wouldn't have enjoyed spending a week there and couldn't really put our finger on why. It was peak season and very busy. Our arrival poolside at 10am ment finding a bed was difficult despite the 45 minute move and lose policy apparently in place. Maybe it was just us but the place lacked the character we were after that would have seen us better placed in the Old Town or in something cheaper given the cruise we then went on which was absolutely stunning. I've stayed at similar places to the Dubrovnik Palace that are beyond exclusive in the South of France so I can see the allure and can maybe put it down to being spoilt in our travels over the years.

Saying that, staff were attentive and helpful. I would recommend buying the bus ticket into town from the desk. The no 4 ended right outside and will take you direct to the Old Town in 10 minutes. If you are taking the shuttle from the airport the hotel bus can be picked up at the same place the shuttle drops you off. There is no need to get any sort of taxi.

All in all it was a good one night stay but my recommendation would be to travel. Croatia was just too good to stay in the same place with so much more to explore.

Room Tip: We were right at the end on the fourth floor (459). Its a long slim hotel with most rooms facing the...
Yorkshire UK
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Stayed for a week here and was not disappointed. Agree that it is not 5 * in comparison to other countries however for Croatia I thought it hit the mark.

The hotel was absolutely immaculate, i loved all the art work everywhere and we received a beautiful book displaying this on arrival carefully wrapped in our room.The communal areas and pool area are also spotless, pool beautifully clean(we are often very critical of pool hygiene!)and I could not believe how fresh , warm and plentiful the pool towels were.
We always got a sun lounger (these could really do with replacing and are more 2* my husband felt they really let the hotel down)we enjoyed the quiet areas sat on the rocks and access to the sea was great for snorkelling etc. The swim up bar was efficiet and cocktails nice served in plastic but cocktail style glasses.
The poolside restaurant could do with a few more tables but we ate late following a late and very plentiful breakfast so it was not a problem. The poolside restaurant was lovely - fresh food and we had superb service and impeccable manners by our waiter.

The room was fine, clean always someone popping in to change things ! The hairdryer was my biggest bug bear - wish I had taken one. They are the in the bathroom on the wall unclip hose variety and despite getting hair dry the are not very good !!!
I went to the gymwhich was fine. The indoor pool was divine (it rained during our stay) and the quiet relaxing areas were lovely. The lean and light bar had a beautiful view from the balcony and we enjoyed the fresh food.
It was our anniversary and we got champagne ,fruit and biscuits (but a mistake was made regarding the date and amount of years ! ( 26 years they thought but it was on the 26th!!! It was lovely touch we thanked the hotel manager for this and he was upset about the mix up we were thoroughly amused !On the correct day we received it all again !!! We were truly overwhelmed !The hotel reception staff could not do enough for you and were so polite.
We did not eat dinner in the hotel but either caught the bus or took a taxi out. We did walk to Port Gruz also and had wonderful meals out ( see my reviews) I took many recommendations from Trip advisor. The highlight was taking the Kolocep ferry to Villa Ruza restaurant for the day.
Over all we had a truly wonderful holiday and I would have no hesitation what so ever to returning. We took recommendation from a friend and have since recommended it to others who are travelling later in the year.
Thankyou

Room Tip: Aask for a high level room - better views of the stunning sunset !
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I have travelled and stayed in hotels of all types- not that many but enough to knowvoutstanding from a waste of money. I found the Palaceto be number one of the places I stayed for sevice and ambience. Should I return to Dubronik this would be my only choice.

Room Tip: I think I requested a superior seafront room. It was worth the slight per night extra.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

First time to Dubrovnik and this really is one of the jewels of Europe, we want to return ASAP. Hotel views are unrivaled, communal facilities and location close to 5* but rooms are 3* at best which is a shame but this did not ruin our holiday (long weekend) whatsoever - very good value and food and drink not overly expensive - fantastic breakfast especially if you can grab a seat on the terrace! Good free WIFI which is becoming ever increasingly important with the amount of gadgets we now take away. Biggest negative was that it was hard work getting a sun bed, did not seem to be enough and I'm sure some people were putting towels down in the middle of the night - it was peak season (first week of summer Holidays).

Room Tip: The higher floors for the views (and above the trees)
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends