“My revisit after exactly 2 years”

Hotel Dubrovnik Palace
Ranked #9 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Well 2 years on and this place is still great. I read a recent report that someone was complaining of the cleanliness, I’m just wondering if they were talking about another hotel because it couldn’t have been this one!
The place is spotless; I even watched a maid mopping up the air conditioning condensate from a taxi after it left!
Every member of staff we came across was so helpful and polite and the restaurant staff including the managers came out tops. My wife is on a special diet and every time we entered the restaurant the duty manager would acknowledge our presence and without asking he would fulfil her needs. The room service staff too were so happy, helpful and extremely polite and they seemed genuine.
As I said it was my second visit and I did insist on a room with a full sea view on my first visit the sea view was marred by the numerous trees but this time I just had the one tree which didn’t really spoil the most wonderful view.
One thing I did miss though was the free shuttle bus that used to run between the hotel and the old town. You now have to pay 12 Kuna’s each way to get into town if you buy the ticket from the hotel (15 Kuna’s if you buy your ticket from the driver) I understand the free service stopped soon after my last visit. This is the No.4 bus very clean with nice drivers. Beware of the No.10 bus which will take you from the old town to the nice village of Cavtat, an old vandalised bus with a very unhelpful driver, it picked us up from the cable car station where we were told to wait for it and on the way back it dropped us off at the port and then they wanted to sell us another ticket back to the old town to pick up the No.4 bus again. I think the guest relations at the hotel should have given us a little more info on the return trip, we ended up walking back (3Km in 35 degrees C) as it was probably nearer than getting a bus back into town and back out again, thank goodness for my Smartphone map function. I couldn’t get a refund on my unused tickets so I gave them away. The bus company doesn’t do any favours to the tourist industry on that route, I know this has nothing to do with the hotel but future customers need to be made aware of this.
Apart from the bad bus experience this hotel is a must and I would gladly return one day. The Croatian people we met in Dubrovnik were so friendly and nice and that was a great thing to encounter for a second time. I hope people reading this would give this hotel a try and thank you for reading 

Room Tip: Ask for a clear sea view (without trees)
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Stayed here June 15 -22 , 2013. Great Hotel for adults.
Not really a beach as such therefore I wouldn't recommend children staying here and quite dangerous getting in and out of the sea ( I fell and cut myself) but it looks as though they are attempting to sort this. We were only bed and breakfast and food was fine, I have stayed in 5 stars with lots more variety but on the whole there was everything we required. You need to be up early to get a table outside with a breathtaking view .
The manager at breakfast was charming and friendly as were most of the restaurant staff.
Pool bar staff are not so friendly , (however it was 31 degrees and they work hard but a smile every now and then would be nice). Food at the pool bar was very good and reasonable, about £8 for Tuna salad, £2 for french fries, you were served plenty of French bread to accompany your meal at no charge.
I also think for a 5 star there should be tea and coffee making facilities in the bedrooms as standard, It was only when we mentioned this to other guests they told us in the room info booklet you could request this. We made a simple call to housekeeping and it was brought up immediately, unfortunately it was on our second to last day.
Cocktails were gorgeous and on the whole alcohol was reasonably priced.
Although it is the last stop on the bus route there was never a time when there wasn't a bus waiting outside and the last bus back to the hotel was 1.00am. The price of the journey to the old town was about £1.20 and took 10 mins maximum.

Only gripes, for a 5 star we thought our room was horrible ,carpet furniture and curtains all the same drab colour seemed very dated to say opened in 2004, bathroom also not nice ( I do love a nice bathroom ) but the shower whilst an over bath one worked great, really powerful.
Had we not been a bit cheeky and asked the maid to see the Suite she was cleaning I probably would have marked down my ratings because of the bedrooms but the suite was very impressive with 2 bathrooms that were ultra modern. I would give our room 2/10 and the suite 10/10 so maybe worth paying more.
It was a girlie holiday and it was perfect, will definitely return to The Palace but the biggest gripe on Dubrovnik , we love shopping and there are no shops apart from tourist hat & sunglasses shops, (if there are we never found them).

Many thanks to Katarina in Customer Relations, she was most helpful .

Room Tip: Pay more for a better room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lindsay F
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I had a positive experience of staying in Hotel Dubrovnik Palace, especially I would like to mention personnel and management quality of work in main restaurant during breakfest. These guys are perfect in making welcoming atmosphere, I felt as a guest rather than a client every single day.

Great welcoming by hotel transfer service - the driver gave me a lot of useful information about the area, transpots and spots to see. He really made my morning by a friendly chat.

One comment on the guests reception and check in. I know it's a rule, but there would be great if possibly there was a solution for the case like mine. Moscow flight arrived to Dubrovnik at 8 AM (that means I woke up at 3:30AM my time) and I got so tired wondering around the hotel till 2 pm. I tried to use Complimentary room, but there was no chance to lock it (to use bathroom or shower and noone to ask about keys. I tried to ask room service lady that was passing by, but she had no idea (good idea with room, but something needs to be improved to really make it work). And at the reception during check in in mornings, asking client to wait it would be great to explain guests what choices they have to shorten the waiting time . As I always feel a bit unsure in new places, it was uncomfortable to search by myself where restaurants are, to find out their work hours, where to the the water while beach bar is closed (starts at 10am), where to get the towel and so on (cause normally people get all this info in the room and I had half a day before I could get an access to it :)). And since the reception is on 8th floor you wouldn't go there every time you have a question. So by 2 pm I was simply falling asleep and was so exhausted that it spoiled my first day experience. Perhaps some short FAQ letter to such guests would be a good thing (that's why I put average for quality of welcome).

About the room - I really enjoyed the sea view and privacy of the balcony (that there are no shared balconies or something like that). There's something special about feeling free to open windows and enjoy sitting on the balcony watching the sea without thinking if your neighbours from other rooms would see you.
Although I would say that room furntiture is a bit old style and decor is too simple for 5 star. I was a bit upset when saw a hair dryier (my room was 525 I guess) it is totaly broken and it is so visible), this is not a picture from 5 star hotel. I must say I got a good hair dryier immediately when contacted a reception, but perhaps leaving it in the room, before customer starts to worry about comfort, would be a good idea. For us girls it's quite important to have a good hair dryier during beach vacations :)
To be fair - I have to mention crispy absolutely white and brand new towels in the bathroom, really enjoyed the quantity as well (a set of big, middle size and small ones) - perfect!

As I said I enjoyed dining experience, the service in all 3 restaurants is excellent, I was cared and treated like a friend:
- Great quality of food in healthy bar near the spa, the menu is delicious (salmon, soups and salads) and the host is very positive.
- Great view and atmosphere in restaurant on first floor near the sea (a food a little bit too salty to my taste, but last day I asked the waiter to prepare my fish without salt and it made my dinner perfect).
- And, of course, I was so amazed by a bird nest with little chicks right outside the window of main restaurant! But as I said, since the personnel there is just outstandining in their hospitality I quite understand why they decided to be so close :) Breakfest choice is very reach.

I visited SPA and had Anti Stress cocoon treatment and enjoyed it a lot. This was a first time when I tried 4 hands massage and the staff knows the work very well, absolutely relaxing and what I appreciated very much employees really cared about my comfort and privacy.

And to finish the review - the location of the hotel is great, stunning views away from more noisy and busy touristic areas of Old Town, the smell of pine trees, unbelievable sunsets and salty fresh breeze from the sea in your room makes vacations a true change and recreation for the mind and body.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Bastet79
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Lovely location with great views. Easy to get into the old town on the local bus. The breakfast was excellent considering the number of guests it was catering for. Also you could have eggs freshly cooked as you wanted. We bought a Dubrovnik card which was good value as it included bus tickets, museum entry and some discounts - available at the tourist desk. The hair dryer was fine but it was fixed to the bathroom wall so take your own if this might not suit. Only issue was that on the one really fine day we found we couldn't get a sun lounger or chair by the pool area. To be fair this was mainly caused by selfish fellow guests leaving belongings on chairs and then going off for hours at a time. However feel hotel should do more to discourage this. Overall a relaxing stay.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I was a bit disappointed in the Hotel Dubrovnik. I visited with a large group celebrating a Presidents Club so compared this hotel to those visited in previous years and this one just didn't compare.

The view from the rooms is beautiful, ours was in front of the lighthouse and very pretty at night. I was disappointed in the rooms, very small, very plain and not very clean. I'm really not picky and completely understand hotel rooms are never totally clean but I don't like finding other peoples hairs in the bathtubs and sinks. Also lots of smear marks where things had been wiped down in the bathroom with a dirty cloth or towel.

The breakfast offers many different foods and a place to have fresh omelets made. Great selection although food is only OK. I was in the hotel for several event catered meals and these were much better, I think it's the amount of food they are trying to put out at breakfast which is the problem.

Service was always good and the front desk is always very helpful. They can also sell you bus tickets into the town. The bus stops outside the hotel every 20 mins and drops you in the center of Old Dubrovnik. The pickup to return to the hotel is directly across from the drop off point.

Make sure to do the walk around the wall, it's very very beautiful. Also tons of great places to eat and hang out. We also did some quad biking through the countryside which is a must do - very fun.

Dubrovnik and the surrounding areas are wonderful, the people are very friendly, definitely a must go visit location.

Room Tip: Our room was directly in front of the lighthouse, it was lovely to watch the light late at night.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We visited the Dubrovnik Palace hotel from 9 to 16 June and had a lovely holiday. The hotel is first class with professional staff, a lovely pool (both outdoor and indoor) and a great restaurant. The breakfasts were great – I don’t know what some people are moaning about but we found the variety and quality to be what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. Had a couple of lunches too, which were very nice, a little bit more expensive but that’s what you would expect. There is no need to take hairdryers either – the one provided is fine, and there is a plentiful supply of pool towels too. The dive school on site is first class, a 5 star PADI School run very professionally with great staff. The local bus stops outside the hotel, which goes right into the Old Town. This service is efficient (buses every 20 minutes) and really cheap. We used the buses all the time.

There are some nice restaurants in Lapad, which is only 10 minutes’ walk from the hotel. Eden restaurant, not on the main street but higher up, is worth walking to – excellent food. We also went to Gruz, the larger port, thinking that there would be lots of restaurants there but we were disappointed to find very few. However we did find an excellent restaurant, Otto. The menu wasn’t extensive and they were really busy when we dined there so the service was a little slow, but the waiters were really nice, very apologetic for the wait and offered more bread, which was a nice touch.

Dubrovnik Old Town is a must see attraction. It has a different atmosphere by day and night – better to do the Wall walk on a week day rather than a weekend as it gets really busy. Also when the cruise ships are in port, the number of visitors’ increases, so take this into consideration when visiting the Old Town. We walked the wall on a Wednesday morning and it took a leisurely hour and a half. There are lots of museums and an abundance of restaurants to choose from in Old Town, we had lovely meals everywhere. Some places charge a lot for wine so unless you are a serious wine buff, the house wine (Croatian) we found to be absolutely fine.

If you are planning on doing a boat trip to different islands (the 3 island tour is very popular), the easiest way to do this is to go down to the Port in the Old Town and book from there. They all leave at 11 in the morning and get back around 6. We booked through a shop near the hotel, had to arrive at 10. We were ferried in cars to the Old Town and was told just to be at the Port by 10.45 so had to hang around in the Old Town. Had we have known this, we would have just booked at the Port and turned up at 11 in the morning.

Dubrovnik Palace was lovely and am happy to recommend. We enjoyed Croatia, particularly Dubrovnik Old Town.

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea/pool view so no need to recommend
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MaryDave07
Reviewed 20 June 2013

This is an excellent hotel on the Lapad peninsula. The bedrooms are all sea facing with a balcony and the public areas enjoy the same view. Cannot fault the breakfast buffet, which despite being in a huge dining room is very calm and quiet. The buffet should cater for all tastes as there is plenty on offer. The omelette station was a favourite.
All of the staff are extremely pleasant and courteous. The pool and "beach area" is first class too with an abundance of towels and we never had an issue with the availability of sun loungers.
The service bus to the old city terminates outside the hotel and discounted tickets are available. The city is only 15 minutes away and is an easy journey to take advantage of the numerous restaurants which are on offer. Consequently, apart from breakfast, we never ate in the hotel so cannot comment on the hotel dining choices.
We cannot fault this hotel and would return without hesitation.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple