“Dubrovnik Palace Hotel - My Great Dissapointment”

Hotel Dubrovnik Palace
Ranked #9 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 26 August 2009

The pictures and the hotel site are presenting much more than the hotel offer to its guests. The hotel employees are not so friendly, in 'Maslina' restaurant the waiters don't offer '5 stars services' and inside of the restaurant there are a strong smell of the cooking food. In every morning, starting 5 o'clock (!!!) the housekeepers are starting the cleaning of the floor and the vaccum cleaners make a very strong noise. Even if we (and others) claimed this thing to the Reception personnel, just after the fourth day the housekeepers didn't wake-up us in the morning. :(((

Unfortunately, the very great panorama couldn't offset the lack of 5 stars services. :(((

Write a ReviewReviews (2,135)

Reviewed 25 August 2009

Let me start by saying that Dubrovnik is possibly the most amazing location I have ever visited. It has taken our breath away, and we will return.

I disbelievingly read other reviews on here which spoke of last minute bumping of guests by management at the Hotel Dubrovnik Palace. Surely no hotel would operate like this and hope to survive. Our trip to Dubrovnik was for a family wedding at the hotel, and involved a small travelling group.
To our horror we received an email from the booking agents last Tuesday morning telling us that the hotel was overbooked and that the hotel was moving us. This was despite the room being paid for and confirmed a number of weeks ago. We were due to check in on Wednesday

My wife immediately contacted the booking agency, who to be fair spent the whole day attempting to resolve the situtaion. This caused great distress to ourselves and the couple getting married, who found a number of their guests being treated the same way. Causing upset to the bride to be the day before her wedding is disgraceful behaviour, and management at this hotel should be ashamed. After day long complaints from the couple, their wedding planner, and the booking agents our reservation was reinstated. Howver I supsect that somebody else suffered as a result. Other guests at the wedding were not so fortunate, and found themselves lodged elswehere.

The wedding itself went very well last Thursday. However last Friday brought further evidence of the hotels contempt towards their paying guests. The hotel was hosting a screening as part of the Dubrovnik Film Festival, and decided that the guests could no longer access the sea and pool area after 5pm. People were being literrally asked to leave in front of our eyes, so that the glitterati attending the screening could enjoy the facilities without being disturbed by the paying plebs. A subsequent complaint at reception while settling our bill was greeted with a shrug of the shoulders.

This is a maginficent hotel building in a tremendous location in what can only be described as stunning coastline. The facilities are second to none. The back of the house staff are magificent, helpful and friendly.

I understand that this hotel was damaged during the early 90s and closed for 11 years, only to reopen at great expense. The structure and facilities are a credit to the investors and to the Croatian People. I fear that if this hotel continues to treat its guests with contempt it's future is bleak. If anyone from the hotel is reading these reviews, you should see that there is a pattern emerging. I would suggest you have a good hard look at yourselves before your do irrepairable damge to your business.

4  Thank Pat1976Cork_Ireland
Reviewed 23 August 2009

My husband I have just returned from a week at the Dubrovnik Palace and had the most relaxing week ever! The views from this hotel are second to none with every room having a balcony and sea view. The hotel runs a courtesy bus from the hotel to the Old Town leaving on the hour and returning on the half hour for most of the day. We found the sun beds down by the rocks so peaceful and swimming in the aqua blue sea was amazing. Breakfasts were great and the staff all very helpful and friendly. I would definitely recommend this hotel - the website does not do it justice!

1  Thank happy_to_travel_8
Reviewed 22 August 2009

This was our first trip to Croatia and we looked at a number of hotels before choosing the Dubrovnik Palace

Decent sized room with a balcony overlooking the sea, with a blind on the terrace to keep out the sun if required. Lovely pool area, but there is also direct access to swim in the sea from a few areas via steps

The hotel has a free shuttle bus which operates quite a few times during the day and evening (operating times are set out on reception) with an afternoon break for a few hours, but if you do require to go into the city when the shuttle doesn't run, the local bus stops right outside the hotel in any event

Our room rate included breakfast, and it was extremely pleasant to take breakfast on the terrace each morning. We ate at the Maslina restaurant one night - the food was really good - the rest of the time we ate within the city walls since there are a multitude of restaurants catering for different budgets

If you go to Dubrovnik make sure that you get out on boats to see the islands - highly recommended and not at all expensive - we went out on 3 separate days firstly to Lokrum, secondly to Cavtat, and the third day the three islands of Kolocep, Lapud and Sipan - the last boat trip included food and drink too

On our last day we went sea kayaking on an organised tour around the city walls - great fun and highly recommended - look out for the guy with the big yellow kayak paddle near the entrance to the city walls. Our tour guide was excellent and we enjoyed a mini picnic in a cave which you could only get to by boat

Can recommend walking the city walls if you feel energetic enough (there are a lot of steps up and down for anyone with mobility problems) - it does get extremely hot during the afternoon in the summer - so we arrived when the entrance to the walls opened at 9 a.m. which does help

We had such a lovely time in Dubrovnik, the whole place had such a relaxed atmosphere - we will return!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tangerines
Reviewed 21 August 2009

I have read the other reviews but can only say that for my wife and I, our stay was an experience of the most fabulous hotel we have ever stayed in (including another great stay in Sorrento). We / I have stayed in a good few other good class hotels on both business and pleasure but this was the winner (maybe not stayed in many other actual 5 stars).

There was simply just nothing to complain about for us and whilst we like to wander quite a lot from the hotel we were tempted to spend a lot of our time in the hotel itself here despite the fact that Dubrovnik old town only really can have one other peer in the Med / Adriatiatic (Venice of course).

The views are glorious, the hotel itself an art gallery, the food - well the choice of fresh whole and cut fruit for instance was unparallelled at breakfast and there are several restaurants for different budgets at the hotel (althouh none we agree for the cheapest).

The service was always available, proper but very freindly, we found.

It is true that the first morning the shower wet the bathroom floor but we were able to adjust it to avoid this afterwards.

I would thoroughly recommend the hotel for a fanastic romantic break - do not miss the indoor pool whatever the weather - and visit Montenegro for an excurson but then be thanksful you stayed in Dubrovnik not Budva where the beach is totally destroyed by the dominance of a huge bar and disco.

The walk up to the top of the peninsula from the joggers path is also very pleasant and not well enough advertised.

1  Thank Hvzm
Reviewed 21 August 2009

On arrival I was disappointed that there was not a porter to assist us in with our suitcases. The hotel was quiet so it was not like they were busy with other guests luggage. Check-in was fine - they wanted me to leave my passport with them over night I did not want to do that so I asked them to take a copy of it (feared losing it). My room was smaller than I expected and I had two single beds pushed together. I had all the facilities in my room I could wish for and it was great that there was wireless internet throughout the hotel, even in the bedrooms. Minibar was stocked well and I had a balcony with two seats and a little table - however for some reason are the 2nd night one of the chairs disappeared - probably taken to another guest room, The amentities in the bathroom were good quality but the bathroom looked liked it needed a better clearn. The was a safe in my room and good drawer and wardrobe space. I only had room service dinner one night and it was not that nice bit of a cheap burger. I had room service breakfast one morning, I asked for an omlette with a bit of bacon, toast and some tea and that I was in a rush. They brilliant sped the food to me, however it fell short as the omlette was floating around in the fat of the bacon, (bacon so fatty I didn't eat it) their was no milk for my tea, no ketchup, salt or pepper for my omlette and no butter or jams for my toast. On the whole it is a nice vacation hotel - the pool was fab and the restaurants were good if they could just get the finishing touches right - they would improve massively in my book.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 August 2009

The hotel itself is lovely, with a nice pool area, okay rooms and a sheek and modern design. However prices are very expensive, 20 quid a shot to eat in the restaurant designed for half board guests, 15 quid for 45 minutes of tennis, and 3 pounds for some of their minibar drinks!
Also the staff were very rude and unwilling, always trying to take your plates away at breakfast, never a smile on their face. Having said that, the breakfast was superb. With the general service, apart from a few pleasant people here and there, there was a huge sense of just "we dont care."
Dubrovnik is a fascinating city although apart from a few tours, there is nothing really to do there. At the hotel there were a lot of noisy children which you dont expect from a 5* hotel.
Setting aside all criticisms, the hotel as a building and location was very good.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family