“Great Hotel”
Review of Tirena Hotel

Tirena Hotel
Ranked #23 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Just returned from a week in Dubrovnik, Stayed at the Valamar Tirena Hotel. The room was spacious and comfortable. The beds were very good, I slept like a log every night. The staff were amazing, I have never been smiled at so often during a stay at a Hotel. The Breakfast is fantastic a huge Buffet and a chef on hand to fry eggs and bacon etc. I had Dinner there three nights each night was a different menu (It's also a buffet). As has been stated its a big Hotel and the rooms are all over the place, so a walk to your room is inevtiable. The restaurant area is downstairs 3 flights from reception but not a trek. and eating outside on a warm day or evening suited me very well. I was served quickly in the bar area and had good service throughout. There are also some really nice walks behind the Hotel which I would recommend after dinner. I would definately recommend this Hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Although its more of a walk I would have a room at the back. I had absolutely no noise disturbance e...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mart110
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for commenting on your recent stay in hotel Tirena. We are very happy to see that you had an amazing holiday and that you were fully pleased with our hotel. I am particularly pleased to read great remarks regarding our staff and their service and I am happy that all of them have made your stay even more special. Thank you for recommending us to other travelers and I hope that we will have the chance to welcome and host you again in the future as well.
Best regards,
Hotel Tirena General manager

Reviewed 14 April 2013

The hotel was clean, light, and modern. Good location only 10 minutes by bus to Dubrovnik centre. Bus stop located just at the top of the hill, outside hotel front entrance. Bus stop on the opposite side of the road will take you into the centre. Return tickets can be purchased from the hotel lobby shop.
The room was impressive and felt like 4 star quality. Staff were very helpful and friendly.
There was a good choice of food in the buffet restaurant. The breakfast was delicious! But if you aren't fond of cats then avoid sitting outside as the numerous stray cats will beg for food, and even snatch it off your plate if you aren't watching or leave it unattended.
Entertainment was available every night in the bar area if you wished. Alternatively as a guest of the Tirena you are allowed to use the neighbouring chain hotels if you fancy something different.
The same applies for the pools. All are beautiful, with excellent hygiene standards. Towels and sun beds are available free for guests from the pool bar.
Would definitely recommend, and would return again.

Room Tip: We had a 1st floor room overlooking the central courtyard. Noise from the bar wasn't too bad fro...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Coco2026
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your words of praise of our hotel. I am very happy to read that your vacation with us was satisfying and pleasant and that you took great memories with you back home.
I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed our food quality and that you had some time to visit some of our neighboring hotels and their facilities.
We hope to have you soon as our guest again and please take the warmest regards form our whole staff,

General manager

Reviewed 6 February 2013

Stayed in Tirena Hotel July 2012 could not find fault with accommodation, food, staff or services. Only draw back is location, a good walk from Dubrovnik harbour and center of things. But still enjoyed and will return.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank James B
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for reviewing your say in our hotel with such great marks and comments. We are happy that you have enjoyed your holiday in our hotel and that you are looking forward returning once again.
Until that occasion we send you best regards from the entire Tirena team.
Nenad Maric
General manager

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We have stayed here for two nights.Rooms are spacious and clean.Although we have requested a king bed while purchasing the tour , they gave us a room with combined twin beds which was uncomfortable since we are couple.The bathroom has enough space.The room has a nice small balcony overlooking the garden.The breakfast saloon is spacious and there is enough variety.I have to mention that because of the show kitchen in the middle of the saloon you can smell fried food everywhere which is uncomfortable.On our check out date when i asked to keep my luggage for two hours front desk forward me to luggage room which is accessable by anybody, without offering me a luggage ticket.That was not secure so i decided to put my luggage back to my room.Overall it was not bad but there is some issues to be solved.

Room Tip: The location of the rooms are a bit confusing so its better to ask for help upon check in..
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Astinus
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing hotel Tirena for your vacation in Dubrovnik and also I would like to thank you for taking the time to put your impressions in writing on Trip advisor.
In accordance your comments we acquire complete picture of the quality level of our services, and they are great help in achieving improvements as we try to constantly improve the level of our services and facilities.
Hopefully you will be our guest in the future so you can see some of the improvements by yourself.
Best regards from Dubrovnik,

Reviewed 17 November 2012

We stayed here for two weeks in June 2012. The hotel was to our liking, the rooms were OK, the food terrific, hotel very clean, and the pool was excellent, with a nice bar for drinks and snacks.
The staff were very friendly, and we think Zeljko should be made the hotel manager!!
We did ask to change our room on arrival as there was no view apart from looking at the hotel corridor. The room we ended up in was very nice, looking out over a park.
We stayed in June. I hate to imagine how crowded the buses into Dubrovnik would get in July and August, but worth the hastle to see Dubrovnik. If you want to walk in to town it takes about an hour.
Would recommend Dubrovnik. There are some good places to swim in the sea within a 20 minute walk, and the visits to various Islands make a good day out.

Room Tip: Room to back of hotel looking out over the park
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank keith c
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Dear Keith,
Thank you very much for leaving your comment regarding your vacation in our hotel. I am happy to read such great comments regarding our level of service , food quality and especially staff politeness and service quality. I am also very happy that you have pointed out Željko who is doing a remarkable job with all of our guests at his post at the reception.
I hope that you took some long lasting memories of our hotel and all of us hope to see you again in the future.
Best regards from Tirena

Reviewed 7 November 2012

Stayed in October 2012 towards the end of the season, booked through Booking.com and chose it for its value, good reviews and location. On arrival found it as stated and it was a clean, very comfortable hotel with a stroll providing bus links direct to the Old Town. Reception were helpful and overall the staff were slick and professional. Towels were replaced as required and bar service was fast and pleasant ( may be different in high season ). I really enjoyed the breakfast every day and the selection as mentioned elsewhere was huge with something for everyone - the chef cooking fresh fry, pancakes and egg dishes was a nice touch and other touches like the weight descriptions of various cold meats, butters etc ( Handy for the dieters) were evident of the professional standards encouraged by this group of hotels.

The sister hotels in the area do offer further facilities which you can make use of, we spent a lovely afternoon on the private beach of the President Hotel which has a lift down to the beach which is great as the other two beaches on the complex are very steep walks. The Tirena is much more basic but is a lot cheaper but standards are the same which is the main thing.

The hotel is a bit of a maze but you do get used to it but unless you strike lucky you are in for a walk, the only other downsides are its a walk to the pool and no lift services the eating area so expect plenty of walking and whilst the bus stop is only a stroll it is quite steep for those with mobility concerns.

I therefore would have had no hesitation in recommending this hotel fulfilling as it did the three basic considerations I look for when city breaking VALUE,CLEAN,LOCATION.

However I did have 1 problem which was that on arrival I swiped my card to pre - authorize the cost of my stay and on check out paid this amount, I was happy, hotel was happy alas on getting back to Ireland found my card had been stopped by my bank as pre authorization was still in place despite having paid requested amount by card. Card was linked to checking account which I only use to pay bills etc so funds for other direct debits were held because hotel had not cleared the bill correctly. This caused a lot of hassle and cost, involved my branch, the bank fraud dept and its HQ but I must state the Hotel Tirena responded quickly to my email and whilst at a loss to explain how this occured did response and rang. Next time I will pay cash indeed it is a mark of the hotel and its area that I would even consider coming back after that amount of grief but Dubrovnik is well worth a second visit and I imagine this hotel would be a lot more lively and fun earlier in the season.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank irishcitybreaker
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for leaving your review regarding your stay at our hotel for the whole TripAdvisor community. We are happy to read that you were pleased with your stay and especially with the staff service and the quality of the food provided. We are also very happy to read that you have used the facilities of our sister hotels as well. I am personally sorry to hear about the problem that has occurred with the bank pre-authorization but I was very happy to hear that everything was fixed swiftly.
All of us at the hotel hope to welcome you again in our hotel and as you said the hotel and Dubrovnik is much livelier during the summer season and I hope that you will be our guest at that time.
Until then, I send you warm regards from the entire Tirena staff

Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 7 days on a Travel Department holiday. Modern, very clean hotel. Rooms more than adequate. Great choice of fresh food each day. Pleasant, friendly staff. Overall great hotel. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank ErneBelle
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel.
Our entire team highly appreciate your comments and high grades and we hope that your fine memories of your holiday in our hotel last forever.
We really hope that we will welcome you again in the future and until then I am sending warm regards from the entire Tirena staff.