“Rated three - I'd give it four.”
Review of Tirena Hotel

Tirena Hotel
Ranked #23 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 23 September 2013

On a recent trip to Croatia we stayed in a variety of hotels ranging from 3 to 5 stars. Tirena had we thought by far the best housekeeping along with good comfortable rooms. Only negatives were lousy coffee at the breakfast buffet and a pool that was to cold for swimming. Happily there were a couple of nice Adriatic beaches close by that provided that sport for us.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing hotel Tirena to be a part of your Croatian experience. We are especially proud you would grant us the fourth star, and you found our housekeeping to be the best on your tour, even more because you stayed in higher category hotels.

We hope to see you again in Tirena, until then all the best from the whole Tirena staff,

Reviewed 23 September 2013

On a tour we stayed at this hotel and found it was really good. Not only was the hotel clean and comfortable, the restaurant and food was very enjoyable. Breakfast was amazing, anything and everything you could want, eggs cooked to order as well as pancakes. Dinner dining was also very good large buffet with food constantly being replaced. Did find that it was a little bit out of town but the bus service was very good.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write this comment and share your experience. I am glad to hear you liked your stay with us, and especially the great choice and quality of food in our restaurant. After a long season it is a great incentive to read we had a genuinely satisfied guest.

I hope you will visit us again, kind regards,
Genaral Manager

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Great food some of it cooked in the dining room, the pasta & the salads were especially good, great breakfasts too. The staff were very attentive & the entertainment was good. The pool was roomy & clean, with lots of fresh towels to hand. The room was of a good size, with a bathroom that included a bath!. All much better than the 4 star hotel we stayed in Vodice!

Room Tip: We were with Riviera so didn't get to choose our room, but i would suggest the rooms with baloni...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Maggy43
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear guests,
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel.
I am glad to read that your trip with the Riviera group was a nice one and that your stay at Tirena at the end was a memorable experience. Our staff will be delighted to read your comments and all of us hope to see you again as our guest.
Until then, we send you best regards from Dubrovnik.

General manager

Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stopped here for the first couple of nights of a driving trip around Croatia and Montenegro. The parent company, Valamar, have a few hotels in the same location (Argossy and President are two of them). I would guess the Tirena is the original and was constructed in the early 70's when concrete was the building material of choice. Having aid that, they have done as much as possible to make it look good. The room we had was very good, with plenty of space and a modern clean bathroom with high quality fittings. They provided a very good cot for our baby daughter (at 5€ per night). The room was air conditioned and we were able to sleep well - there was no noise at all.

Breakfast was excellent, with a wide selection of food. We did not take lunch or dinner a the hotel, but we did eat one night at the adjacent Momin restaurant. Food there was acceptable, but not good.

You can buy bus tickets at the shop in reception for Kn12 for a single.journey to the old town. Take bus number 6 there and back.

Overall, we were very happy with our stay. The hotel is much better than the 3* grade it has and not far short of 4*.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying in hotel Tirena with you family, I am glad we had a chance to be part of your "road trip" holiday.

I am glad to hear you were pleased with you stay, and you enjoyed our food, room quality and other services.

We hope to have you again as our dear guests and if you will need any help with your next stay in Croatia I will be more than glad to assist you personally.

Best regards,

Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stayed at several Valamar hotels several years ago and enjoyed the experience so we decided to again. However this time, we were horribly disappointed at both Hotel Tirena in Dubrovnik as well as Hotel Luna on the island on Pag. For the amount of money we spent, we could have stayed at some of the finest hotels in the U.S. They used to really attempt to wow there guests, now they treat you as if you are a burden and how dare you bother them. The food used to center around the Croatian cuisine of that region, now it is catered (as a failed attempt) to mimic the food of the tourists visiting. The food was bland and just tasted processed and prepared several hours before. I was stunned that they charged a service fee for using their beach towels that often came with stains. They don't honor the promo codes they send out and the managers seemed confused about anything corporate does. I used to recommend Valamar hotels to everyone, now I will only tell everyone to STAY AWAY. Use your money else where!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write your review of our hotel, although is very unfavorable for us, we value your opinion and we will use it to upgrade our service even more.
I was sad to hear you were so disappointed with our hotel that it changed your whole image of our company, although your view of our hotel is very different than most of the feedback we get from the guests, not only on Tripadvisor, but in our hotel surveys as well.
I saw that your comments in the review regarding the beach towel charge, food preparation and the promo code issue were all considering with your stay at the Luna hotel and not for your stay in Tirena. Most of the comments and guest reviews are complementing our food quality and preparation as we do most of the preparation right in front of the guests on our show cooking stations. Beach towels on our pool are complimentary to all of our guests during their stay.
We really hope you will give Valamar chain one more chance to gain back the trust we earned during your first visit and hopefully you will be our guest again in the future.
Best regards,

Reviewed 28 August 2013

I had to give full marks to this hotel as it really and truly deserves it. We went to this hotel as part of a tour package. I found it to be very clean and well laid out. Rooms were big enough with a good tv. I was particularly impressed by the standards of cleanliness. The pool was nice. We had full access to the other hotels facilities including their pools (but ours was quieter so I preferred it)I know its nothing to do with the hotel but there were lots of wasps but then again they are everywhere in Europe so I would recommend wasp repellent.
The beach was nearby. Beautiful clear water and a pebble beach. I would strongly recommend guests invest in a pair of water shoes so as to walk in the water and to protect against sea urchin bites.
The food was lovely. You would have to be very fussy to find fault with it. Breakfast was continental and a cooked breakfast. Dinner was a wide selection of meats and vegetables. Food was mainly Italian based. Lovely soup! The only suggestion I would have is maybe to provide a little more spicy Asian food. I got the strongest craving for a curry at the end of the week and it is a popular international dish.The stir fry was gorgeous though. I really enjoyed it. You would never hungry and top compliments to the chef.
The staff were a credit to the hotel. They are so helpful. The talk we had with the manager was very informative.
It's very easy to get to Dubrovnik by bus. I would also highly recommend a day trip to Montenegro. It's also a beautiful country and worth visiting if only for a day. I booked that trip in the hotel for 50€.
Overall I was so pleased with my stay here and I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank luckyangel
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear guest,
A big thank you for your kind review of our hotel. Most of all it makes us all very happy to know you have enjoyed your stay with us. Happy guests make all our effort worthwhile and we are happy to have been able to make your stay in Tirena so enjoyable.
Hopefully we will get a chance to see you again in the future, and please feel free to contact me if you are in a need of assistance with booking on that occasion.
Le gach dea-ghuí
General manager

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Had a great stay here. We are a family of four and booked a family room, which was actually two rooms joined. Great spacious and spotless accomodation. Breakfast fantastic and staff great. Pool was lovely and quiet throughout the day, always lots of room! No reserving beds etc, just a lovely atmosphere. This is not a partying place - entertainment not for us! But you won't get that in many places in Dubrovnik - its definitely an older/family orientated resort.
Bus service is great into Dubrovnik but beware of the very impatient and sometimes very RUDE bus drivers. I made the mistake of getting on to a bus at Pile Gate expecting to buy tickets on the bus which I was told is not a problem! Well at this time it was for this driver! He swore at me many times and humilated me in front of a crowd waiting to board the bus. He did the same to a gentleman behind me in the queue also. So make sure you buy the tickets beforehand to save your emabarrassment!! This was the only blip in an otherwise lovely relaxing week.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tuscany72
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Guests
Sincere greetings and thanks on your marvelous review. Great to hear of your experience of Tirena and thank you for sharing it on line. It means a great deal to the whole Tirena Team and thank you on your kind words.I am sad to hear about your bad experience with the local bus drivers, however you were completely wright to assume that you can buy tickets directly in the bus as it is a service that they provide. I hope that that situation did not diminish your overall impression of Dubrovnik.
All of us at Tirena wish your family all the best and hope to see you next summer for another fantastic and relaxing holiday.

Yours sincerely