“Convenient, peaceful location, good value, spotless hotel”
Review of Tirena Hotel

Tirena Hotel
Ranked #23 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The hotel is in a quiet location, a 15 minute ride on the number 6 bus, from the Old Town of Dubrovnik. The hotel shop sells bus tickets for 12 kn instead of the 15 kn from the bus driver. Buses run every 15 minutes until the early hours of the morning. There's a shopping precinct outside the hotel with a variety of small shops, bars and restaurants. Our room was in a quiet position and was spotlessly clean and very quiet and comfortable. The only criticism was that there were too many trees outside the balcony which made the room dark. They really needed cutting back.
The hotel staff were very helpful and spoke good English.
The food was good, plenty of choice and with a wide range of fresh fruit and vegetables. There was even a chef's station where you could have meat, fish, omelettes etc. cooked to your specification.
A few minutes stroll from the hotel takes you to the coastline where you can walk along as far as the new harbour where the cruise ships dock. The views are fantastic, especially when a cruise ship comes sailing past. The peaceful location of the hotel is a welcome contrast to the hustle and bustle of the city, especially when it's only a short bus-ride away.
I think the Tirena probably has only 3 stars because it doesn't have a spa, gym or indoor pool but you can use these facilities at the 4 and 5 star "sister" hotels next door.
I've been surprised at some of the negative reviews I've read. I think some people try to find fault so that they can claim a refund! If you want 5 star standards then pay for them. As a former Travel Guide I've stayed in countless hotels around the world and know a good 3 star hotel when I see one.
I thoroughly enjoyed my week and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on an upper floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jalw2014
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Guests,
Thank you very much on your great review and for your recent visit. Thank you for choosing Tirena and we are glad your experience here was so good. Great to hear you have enjoyed every minute of it. Makes all our effort worthwhile. I am especially happy to read that a fellow hospitality worker with years of travel experience recommends us to anyone and rates us with the best possible comments available.
I hope that your travel journey will lead you to Tirena again and until then I send you all the best from the entire Tirena team.
Nenad Marić,

Reviewed 23 May 2014

The breakfasts were a big plus here. Delicious cooked food, freshly prepared fruit, tasty bread and home made jam. Buffet dinners were good too with lots to choose from. The staff were helpful and friendly- they really seemed to take every effort to give the guest a good stay. Our room was nicely furnished with a free safe and a well appointed bathroom.
The internet worked in the lobby but not in our room.
The location was satisfactory...a regular bus went from outside the hotel, about a three minute walk away, to the old town. The nearby beach was pleasant and quiet. The only downside could be that there was nowhere to stroll outside after dinner. But this was no doubt reflected in the price which gave excellent value for money. Would recommend this hotel- we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CheshireMargaret
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear guests,
Thank you very much for a delicious report of our hotel!
I am very happy to see that you have thoroughly enjoyed while staying with us and that our restaurant quality was up with your taste buds.
I hope that we will have a chance to host you again and until then I send you warm regards from Tirena staff.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Rooms large, clean but a little basic. Signage poor, and not much of a view in at least some rooms.. Hot, but no aircon - presomably a cost/profit issue. No lift to lower floor dining room.

Dinner buffet quite extensive but lacking in flavour and finesse. Brought to mind school dinners or 50's army catering at Catterick. Dining room crowded, noisy and populated by changing tour groups. Coffee was charged extra!!!
Breakfast service poor if you wanted a fried egg - ignored whilst the cook fried off 40 pieces of bacon first. This happened thee days out of four, and then he was surly.

Location remote, joined to a tatty, small shoppping mall, but saved by a cheap regular bus service into town.
Pool are looked OK

Overall, a somewhat dated average package hotel. After all, this is Croatia, not a sophisticated European capital hot-spot.!

Room Tip: Try somewhere else!
1  Thank David F

Dear guests,
I am sorry to read that the hotel did not live up to your expectations on behalf of food quality and the location of the resort. I am particularly sorry to read that our food offer and variety did not satisfy you as we are very proud with generally great feedback from our guests regarding food preparation and quality. We do our best to present some traditional Croatian dishes as well as food offer for a mixture of many nationalities that visit our hotel.
I hope that you will have a chance to be a guest of Valamar hotels and resorts again in the future so that we can show ourselves in a better light and create long lasting memories for you.
Best regards,

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed there for a business travel. Room was clean, breakfast was good and a great location -- right next to a beach and a bus stop that takes you to the old town. There's a child's play room which seemed to be nice for family with little kids.

However, the internet was not working in my room at all. Talked to the hotel receptionist at the first night, but he just said ``it should work, try again.'' with a bad attitude. I wasn't too happy about it but I didn't want to waste my time just to deal with him, so I just stayed at the lobby and finished my work there. My colleague said they had no problem with internet in their rooms though.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ctchen_ast
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for your comment regarding your stay in Tirena. I apologize for your inconvenience regarding the internet access in your room for your work assignments. Our IT services have checked the wi-fi system in the hotel and found the issue with one of the routers in the hotel and have fixed the issue accordingly. I hope that this technical issue did not affect your work in any way. I am glad to read that our hotel and the location of it was in compliance with your needs and that accommodation and gastronomical offer has met with your requirements.
I hope that your business travels will direct you to Dubrovnik once again so that the hotel has a chance to show ourselves in a better way.
Best regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I agree with the review by 3manxlegs, that this hotel is "Architecturally Uninspiring". Anyone reading this from the Dundee area think the old Nethergate shopping centre and you are back there.This hotel is part of a group of hotels in the area that you can go and use the facilities, some for a small fee. Dining is not enjoyable as a "result" of the constant noise in the dining area, perhaps some furnishings draped down the walls and pillars would help to remedy this somewhat. Management really need to look into this situation as buffet dining in this hotel is in a class of its own, with a fantastic selection of fresh and tasty dishes. Chefs were there to cook omelettes, pancakes, meat etc on spec. Our room was very clean and serviced daily with a smile from our maid. Indeed staff at the hotel were always helpful especially dining staff when approached with any enquiry. There are some really good walks in the area, so take your camera and a few kuna for a visit to some of the many cafes here. As said by others the bus stop is only a few minutes walk with a number 6 (ticket cost 12 kuna from reception shop) taking you straight to the old town. Would I stay here again? Yes I would.

Room Tip: I did not like the pillows as one was hard and the other far to soft. Ask for decent pillows.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for commenting on you recent stay in Tirena.
I am glad that our staff has provided you with the best possible experience during your stay. From our chefs in the restaurant to the maids in the rooms. I am especially glad to read that, if a chance occurs you would like to visit us again. If you are in a need of help with future reservations please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.
Until next time we meet, I wish you all the best.
Hotel Tirena

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Architecturally uninspiring concrete block work probably built in communists era! However interior has been updated. Rooms very functional & clean , with en suite bath & W.C . Comfortable beds with lovely soft pillows. Tiled corridors echo to footsteps and dining room is exceptionally noisy . Having given you the bad points the food both at breakfast & evening meals is jolly good, hot and lots of choices. Dishes are rapidly refilled, good selection of fish & meats, also the chefs prepare grilled meats every meal. We did wonder about dining out but were so satisfied in our 4 night stay that we didn't, feel the need to go into town , except for coffee& icecreams , or cake. The hotel is on a pine wooded peninsular outside the old town of Dubrovnik, but the number 6 bus goes every 15 mins to The Pile gate which is the entrance to the city. It is a short uphill walk to the bus stop however . A sister hotel called The Argossy is a better hotel as recently renovated, but I have no reports on the food there.

Room Tip: Rooms on basement floor are rather gloomy , ask for a top floor rooms for views & no footsteps o...
1  Thank Chris N
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear guests,
Thank you very much for staying with us and commenting on your stay.
I am glad to see that our food offer and the quality of the service with the highest marks, and that our offer completely fulfilled your needs. I am glad as well that you found time to see our newly renovated 4 star property nearby during your vacation with us.
Hopefully you will be a guest of Valamar hotels and resorts in the future and until then I send you warmest regards from Dubrovnik.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We really enjoyed our 3 night stay at Hotel Tirena, mainly because you had access to multiple pools (there are about 4 hotels in the area and you can swim in any of the pools) and great beaches, including a clothing optional area. The room was tidy, had enough room, and decent air-conditioning, plus a safe. Staff were very helpful and wifi was quick. The hotel is a short bus ride from the Old Town (bus stop is 5 mins walk) but also has a good selection of restaurants nearby. We really enjoyed having a few sunset beers and a light meal down at the beach in the evening. Overall, a very good experience and value for money.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Owen R
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear guest,
Thanks a lot for a great review of hotel Tirena. I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay in Dubrovnik and that you got a chance to use the facilities of our sister hotels in the area. We hope to host you again and until then I send you all the best from Dubrovnik.