“Disappointing”

Tirena Hotel
Ranked #24 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We visited this hotel in June. My parents shared a room and my daughter and I shared a room. We payed extra for a room with a view as these rooms had a balcony however our view was of a rather boring internal courtyard. I asked if I could move to a room with a better view and although the hotel staff were very obliging the alternate room was no better. Mum and dad had a better view of the bridge but un fortunately had a large noisy kitchen vent to contend with. Positives, staff very polite, friendly and helpful, hotel and room exceptionally clean, food good, proximity to Dubrovnik excellent and car hire booked at reception very efficient. Negatives, very noisy due to large open area from lower floor right up to top floor so all noise in reception and dining room echoed through hotel, I tried to shut fire doors several times to block the noise out but they kept being propped open. No comfortable seating areas other than three sofas in reception, rest of seats (tables and chairs)in bar area which was busy, hectic and noisy from the ever changing tour groups and the TV. Very dated hotel and some strange dated buildings around it that looked neglected. But, also surrounded by other hotels in valamar group which looked luxurious compared to Tirena. It wasn't even a cheap holiday. I think the main reasons for the criticisms I raise are structural and design, no criticism of staff. I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Paulandjuliek
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear guests,
I am very sorry to read that you were disappointed with the hotel infrastructure. However I am very pleased that our staff did a good job and that you had no remarks on their overall work. I must add that there are plans for hotel Tirena to be upgraded and renovated in the near future so I hope that you will be our guest when that happens so that we can fully meet your expectations on that occasion.
Best regards,
Nenad Marić

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed here for a week this july. Overall the hotel was good. The hotel has probably been a 4/5 star hotel when it was built, but now after a few decades it has been reduced to 3. The hotel has a strange atmosphere of days gone past (not in a bad way). Overall would recommend it. Only negative comment was the slightly cold service at the front desk.

- Location - very accessible with the bus.
- Cleanliness of hotel - Very good
- Quality of rooms - Good. We had a room on the second floor. We would not have enjoyed a room on the first.
- Breakfast - Breakfast was good. Not a "5 star" breakfast as some say. Service at breakfast was good.
- Dinner - OK. We got the half board free, so on a few long days we had dinner at the hotel. Food was good, nothing special, bot there was definitely nothing wrong with it.
- Pool - Good. Overall a cozy and clean pool area. Would probably be good for kids.

Room Tip: Don't take a room on the first floor.
2 Thank heikkihar
Dear Guests,
Thank you for commenting on your stay in hotel Tirena.
I am very pleased to read that you had good and positive experience with us and that you would recommend us. Hopefully we will be able to host you again and until then I send you all the best from Dubrovnik.
General maanger
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

quiet location, very clean, good sized rooms, very polite staff, great sized pool with plenty of beds and towel service, well serviced pool bar and lunch 'cafe', 2 minute walk to the bus stop for the old city. thought the air conditioning could have been better, I prefer manual control over what I guess was thermostat related. Breakfast choice was vast, missing those pancakes! Overall a very pleasant stay, would recommend.

1 Thank James S
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am thrilled that the staff was available to assist you during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back and if I can ever be of any assistance do not hesitate to contact me.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The hotel was lovely and staff were helpful. The place was very clean and tidy. The bar staff were very helpful. It is a quiet hotel and the evening entertainment isn't great but on the whole it is very good. We couldn't complain at all.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lucy L
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing hotel Tirena for your holiday and leaving us such a positive feedback.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in Dubrovnik and Valamar hotels!
Best regards,
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a fantastic stay in Dubrovnik at the Hotel Tirena my daughter and I were pleasantly surprised with the extremely clean hotel, very polite, helpful staff and great food. We were B&B but ate our evening meal in the restaurant a couple of times. The pool was my favourite, plenty of sun beds & clean towels. I loved the aqua aerobics every afternoon. More information on directions to the beaches and the small parade of shops which I found by accident would be useful. Would definitely return again

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Jane K
Dear Guest,
Thank you for letting us be a part of your fantastic holiday in Dubrovnik.
I am very proud that you enjoyed your stay with us, loved your time at the pool and animation and our food was so great you even dined with us- that means a lot to us.
We hope you will be our happy and satisfied guest again.
Our warmest regards to you and your daughter,
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The hotel was on the whole very modern and clean. The pool area was quiet, clean and safe and the little cafe did some nice lunches. The breakfast was good with a wide choice but the cereals weren't very nice. Also they cook all the hot food on a griddle so vegetarians/vegans would not be too impressed. I think they should cook the eggs, omelettes and pancakes on a separate griddle. We were bed and breakfast but had dinner one night, which was very nice. The reception staff can be a little grumpy as we ended up asking them a lot of questions but all the staff speak excellent English and are on the whole very friendly. You can't get WiFi in the rooms but it works in the lobby.
The bar had very reasonably priced drinks but not much atmosphere - you would have to go into the Old Town for that. There is a small strip of shops by the hotel with some restaurants but it's quite drab - there are much nicer places to eat elsewhere.
Overall the food at the hotel was very good, the setting in Babin Kuk is very pleasant and quiet and is an excellent base for exploring the Old Town of Dubrovnik.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room at the front of the hotel as it is very noisy in the mornings.
2 Thank BumbleBumble1989
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing useful tips from your stay in our hotel.
We find your feedback and ideas on how to improve our service very useful and I will make sure to present them to our company food and beverage manager. Thank you!
I was glad to hear you overall enjoyed our service, food, pool area and our friendly staff.
We will be happy to have you again as our dear guest.
Best regards from Dubrovnik,
york
Reviewed 15 July 2014

i looked at some reviews of this hotel and if it is a glorified hostel as one reviewer said then I would stay in hostels all the time. I have stayed in worse 5 star hotels. The staff at this hotel were great from the receptionist to the house maids, the pool attendants, the maitre'd and the chefs. They were pleasant and helpful.

Yes it is a three star hotel and the rooms reflect that but still they were very clean spacious and well kept. The pool was excellent with fresh towels every day and plenty of sunbeds. The pool food was salads, burgers and sandwiches and they were very tasty

The best bit for me was the food. Yes it is buffet service but the variety and quality of the food was 5 star. II dont know many hotels that will cook whole sea bass!!.Fresh pizzas every night. Good pasta and excellent Croatian style meat and fish. The salads were different every night with lots of choice and very tasty seafood.

I would definitely visit this hotel again

Room Tip: If you can get a sea view the view is superb. Its over woods with a beautiful blue sea and magnifice...
1 Thank Gary W
Dear Guest,
Thank you for this fantastic review! It is always a personal pleasure and a great incentive to our whole staff to read that our guests had a beautiful time, enjoyed our service and food, hotel and the pool area. And when it comes from a well-traveled person such as yourself- our pride is even bigger.
Thank you choosing hotel Tirena for your holiday, and I really hope to soon see your e-mail in my inbox to help you with your next booking.
Until our next encounter please let me extend warmest regards from whole Tirena staff and myself!