“Week long stay with friends”
Review of Tirena Hotel

Tirena Hotel
Ranked #23 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Week long stay with friends”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Traveled to Dubrovnik with a few friends in order to attend a wedding. I chose this hotel mainly due to the price, but also due to the proximity to another hotel which some other friends were staying at.

The booking process was simple, and they have a user friendly website (not always the case with hotels).

The check in process was quick, and the rooms themselves were of a good standard. They were clean and comfortable, and included a newly refurbished bathroom; bonus.

Breakfast was included with the rate that I purchased. It was of a reasonable standard, though some of the meat options were not high quality. This wasn't a problem though, as there was a great selection. I mainly stuck to porridge and fruit, which provided a hearty start to the day. The boiled eggs were also tasty.

The pool area had a good family vibe; nice and relaxed. Many an hour was spent reading books there.

The hotel is located in the 'hotel district' of Dubrovnik, and there are many bars and restaurants nearby. It also only takes around 1 hour to walk to the old town.

All of the staff that I encountered were friendly and very helpful. The receptionist was good enough to book is taxis on a few occasions (which arrived promptly).

All in all a great success. It delivered on my expectations and I would happily recommend this hotel to others.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank ricnic85
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Guests,
Amazing review! Thank you, sincerely! Great to read of your experience of staying with us and thank you for making us proud of our efforts to make our guests’ stay a memorable and pleasant experience.
Thank you for choosing Tirena and please let us know when the time comes if we can be of any assistance on your return to us.
Yours sincerely
Nenad Marić

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from 7 nights at the Tirena, our room had a lovely view and was exceptionally clean and we had maid service everyday!
The food was by far one of the best with regards to variety and quality than I've had in many other hotels around the world.

A huge bonus to this is hotel is that they have three other 'sister' hotels all for you to use so you could never get bored of one pool :) you can drink and dine and charge it to your room at the Tirena which means there's no need to carry cash.

There are three beaches within a short walk all are pebble beaches so I would recommend taking something comfy to lie on, the waters are crystal clear and great for snorkelling but always wear something on your feet!

A bus into the old city is 150 kuna per person each way and well worth it as it's a good hour walk! The bus stop is two minutes from the hotel and runs every ten minutes until the early hours which is needed as the entertainment at Tirena is very limited and more towards an older crowd.

Go walking around the area as there are lots of hidden places to eat and drink a recommendation is Zoe's restaurant right on the front to watch the sunset your find this off a Path on your way towards the valamar president hotel beach (one of the Tirena's sister hotels)

Excursions can be booked through the hotel, we booked to see three islands in one day and it was brilliant with enough time to explore each of them our favourites we're lopud and lockrum, lockrum you can visit from the old city harbour and takes ten minutes and runs every half hour and cost 7 pounds for a return journey and it's by far one of the best islands near Dubrovnik you can easily spend a whole day there.

Only negative is that we we're under the impression Dubrovinik in General was cheaper to eat/drink and buy local surveniors however the prices are very much the same as the UK.

This was a holiday we shall never forget and pleased with everything, thank-you Tirena!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Lp3babies
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear guests,
A big thank you for your extensive review of hotel Tirena. I am very pleased to read that you had an exceptional time on your holiday and that you got the time to fully explore the Dubrovnik area. Like yourself I too feel that Lokrum is a true gem of an island and a perfect relaxing place just minutes away from the busy Old Town. I hope that you left few areas undiscovered so that you can visit Dubrovnik once again in the future. If you are in a need of any help with booking your accommodation please feel free to contact me at any time.
Best regards from Tirena staff
General manager
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We visited this hotel in June. My parents shared a room and my daughter and I shared a room. We payed extra for a room with a view as these rooms had a balcony however our view was of a rather boring internal courtyard. I asked if I could move to a room with a better view and although the hotel staff were very obliging the alternate room was no better. Mum and dad had a better view of the bridge but un fortunately had a large noisy kitchen vent to contend with. Positives, staff very polite, friendly and helpful, hotel and room exceptionally clean, food good, proximity to Dubrovnik excellent and car hire booked at reception very efficient. Negatives, very noisy due to large open area from lower floor right up to top floor so all noise in reception and dining room echoed through hotel, I tried to shut fire doors several times to block the noise out but they kept being propped open. No comfortable seating areas other than three sofas in reception, rest of seats (tables and chairs)in bar area which was busy, hectic and noisy from the ever changing tour groups and the TV. Very dated hotel and some strange dated buildings around it that looked neglected. But, also surrounded by other hotels in valamar group which looked luxurious compared to Tirena. It wasn't even a cheap holiday. I think the main reasons for the criticisms I raise are structural and design, no criticism of staff. I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Paulandjuliek
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear guests,
I am very sorry to read that you were disappointed with the hotel infrastructure. However I am very pleased that our staff did a good job and that you had no remarks on their overall work. I must add that there are plans for hotel Tirena to be upgraded and renovated in the near future so I hope that you will be our guest when that happens so that we can fully meet your expectations on that occasion.
Best regards,
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed here for a week this july. Overall the hotel was good. The hotel has probably been a 4/5 star hotel when it was built, but now after a few decades it has been reduced to 3. The hotel has a strange atmosphere of days gone past (not in a bad way). Overall would recommend it. Only negative comment was the slightly cold service at the front desk.

- Location - very accessible with the bus.
- Cleanliness of hotel - Very good
- Quality of rooms - Good. We had a room on the second floor. We would not have enjoyed a room on the first.
- Breakfast - Breakfast was good. Not a "5 star" breakfast as some say. Service at breakfast was good.
- Dinner - OK. We got the half board free, so on a few long days we had dinner at the hotel. Food was good, nothing special, bot there was definitely nothing wrong with it.
- Pool - Good. Overall a cozy and clean pool area. Would probably be good for kids.

Room Tip: Don't take a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank heikkihar
Dear Guests,
Thank you for commenting on your stay in hotel Tirena.
I am very pleased to read that you had good and positive experience with us and that you would recommend us. Hopefully we will be able to host you again and until then I send you all the best from Dubrovnik.
General maanger
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

quiet location, very clean, good sized rooms, very polite staff, great sized pool with plenty of beds and towel service, well serviced pool bar and lunch 'cafe', 2 minute walk to the bus stop for the old city. thought the air conditioning could have been better, I prefer manual control over what I guess was thermostat related. Breakfast choice was vast, missing those pancakes! Overall a very pleasant stay, would recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James S
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am thrilled that the staff was available to assist you during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back and if I can ever be of any assistance do not hesitate to contact me.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The hotel was lovely and staff were helpful. The place was very clean and tidy. The bar staff were very helpful. It is a quiet hotel and the evening entertainment isn't great but on the whole it is very good. We couldn't complain at all.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lucy L
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing hotel Tirena for your holiday and leaving us such a positive feedback.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in Dubrovnik and Valamar hotels!
Best regards,
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a fantastic stay in Dubrovnik at the Hotel Tirena my daughter and I were pleasantly surprised with the extremely clean hotel, very polite, helpful staff and great food. We were B&B but ate our evening meal in the restaurant a couple of times. The pool was my favourite, plenty of sun beds & clean towels. I loved the aqua aerobics every afternoon. More information on directions to the beaches and the small parade of shops which I found by accident would be useful. Would definitely return again

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Jane K
Dear Guest,
Thank you for letting us be a part of your fantastic holiday in Dubrovnik.
I am very proud that you enjoyed your stay with us, loved your time at the pool and animation and our food was so great you even dined with us- that means a lot to us.
We hope you will be our happy and satisfied guest again.
Our warmest regards to you and your daughter,