“A reasonably good experience”
Review of Tirena Hotel

Tirena Hotel
Ranked #23 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Dublin, Ireland
“A reasonably good experience”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We had a very good room looking out onto the back, over a quiet thoroughfare, beyond that a most wonderful view of the Dolomites and the waters of the Adriatic, where each day the cruise ships passed by in and out of Dubrovnik.
The hotel itself was O.K. and the meals were reasonable enough. I would return again but to a different hotel, one closer to the pebbled/stone sunbathing area.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back seemed to be better, if you are not happy with your room demand a better standard.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing hotel Tirena for your stay in Dubrovnik.
I am happy to read you enjoyed your stay and had a peaceful holiday and nice view from your room. Glad to hear you will be our guest again and hope to have the chance to meet and greet you personally very soon, even in some other hotel within our complex.
Best regards,
Nenad Marić

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This looks like a resort hotel complex of the nineties era in need of a facelift.
The rooms were adequate, bed springs were lax, bathrooms looked tired and showers
were lacking force of water. everything worked, staff were excellent trying to cope with
busloads of summer tourists. Attitude of the staff compensated for the drawbacks.
Food quality was average. Noise level was negative point. The views from the Balcony
made up for the negatives of the hotel complex.

Room Tip: Definately balcony overlooking the sea and mountains
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor community and providing us with valuable feedback.
As you noticed some of our hotels in the complex are newly refurbished, and I am happy to say Tirena will undergo the renovation in the future. Nevertheless each year we are upgrading our facilities to a higher level and even more trying to provide excellent service. Therefore I am very pleased to hear our hardworking staff with their positive attitude provided service that compensated for possible drawbacks.
We hope to have you again as our dear guest and until then please let me extend the warmest regards from whole Tirena staff!
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Just returned from a weeks stay. We had a room on 3rd floor to the side which had a balcony. There seem to be quite a few rooms with no balcony. The room was pretty basic but comfortable. It was kept extremely clean. We were three in a room which was a bit of a squash but we managed ok. Breakfast was fine - usual type of buffet. The best aspect of the hotel is the pool. Plenty of beds and umbrellas and towels provided. The pool bar was great. Mario does a mean pina colada! The food at the pool cafe is pretty limited. Tended to have the same thing every day. Staff friendly enough but can be a bit slow on the uptake. There is no ambience at the lounge bar. We mainly sat outside which was pleasant enough. The staff were fine and friendly.

The bus cost 12 kuna per person if you buy at the hotel shop and 15 kuna on the actual bus. Can get quite packed. The Old City is beautiful and I think Dubrovnik is a well kept secret. Great place to visit.

The beach is fairly close and I really enjoyed it as there was no sand. The water is so clear. The beds cost 40 kuna each for the day. There is a large bouncy castle in the water which is great for the kids. My husband and daughter went on the jet ski for 500 kuna for half an hour. The café at the beach is good - keep away from the seafood risotto as the seafood is hard to find and tasted like a tin of tomatoes mixed with rice - was pricey as well at 95 kuna.

Restaurants near the hotel are pretty good. They basically all serve the same menu. A beefsteak tends to be fillet steak and it is a decent size. Pivnica is in the parade of shops near the hotel. This was a surprising find - they actually do proper home made chips. We also tried Komin which is nearer the President hotel. No complaints from either restaurant.

Went on a three island trip which got a bit boring in the end - just going from one beach to another.

The only thing that marred the holiday was when we checked out. I handed the keys in and said that I had paid up the mini bar yesterday. As we were waiting outside for the taxi the lady receptionist (unfortunately I do not have a name) came out and said I still owed 12 kuna for a bottle of water. I told her that I had paid up yesterday but she insisted that I owed this money. I insisted that I had paid up and said I would show her the receipt at which she walked off. I retrieved the receipt and went in but she would not speak to me and handed me over to the gentleman. I explained that I had paid for the water yesterday morning before the cleaner had handed in the ticket. He said that was fine. I found the lady quite rude especially as she declined to speak to me. If I was going to try and get away without paying it would certainly be for a lot more than 12 kuna (£1.20).

Apart from the above we had a lovely stay and I would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. I am positive that the tips about the facilities and the restaurants in hotel vicinity will be very useful for all of our future guests.
I am glad to hear you had overall very pleasant stay with us and especially enjoyed our pool. I will extend your praise to Mario, I am sure he will be pleased that his Pina Colada is now known internationally.
I am very sorry to hear about the situation on the departure and please let me extend our deepest apologies. I had a conversation with our front office manager and the receptionist, and let me assure you it was not her intention to offend you in any way. Sometimes our guests forget to pay the minibar without having a bad intention and it is our policy to remind them politely to pay. It was a lapse in judgement from her side to continue to insist on it after you assured her the bill was settled. Once again we are very sorry about this misunderstanding and can only hope you will remember us more by Mario's mean Pina Colada that this unfortunate event.
Thank you and best regards from sunny Dubrovnik,
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We spent four nights here with Riviera Travel. Hotel was quite adequate but just a little tired and in need of some freshening up. Our room on the ground floor was okay size wise and bed very comfortable. Balcony not very private as it overlooked the path to the swimming pool. Air conditioned dining room was excellent with wonderful food with such a great selection every night. Very nice swimming pool and area surrounding it. Staff all very pleasant and helpful..

Room Tip: We had a room on the ground floor to the left as you walk in the main door and it was quite quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Liz D
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear guests,
Thank you very much for commenting on your stay in Tirena with Riviera travel.
I am very pleased that the hotel was up to your standards and that you were fully satisfied with our gastronomical offer and the overall staff service. Thank you again and we hope to be able to welcome you again on some other occasion.
Yours sincerely
General manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Traveled to Dubrovnik with a few friends in order to attend a wedding. I chose this hotel mainly due to the price, but also due to the proximity to another hotel which some other friends were staying at.

The booking process was simple, and they have a user friendly website (not always the case with hotels).

The check in process was quick, and the rooms themselves were of a good standard. They were clean and comfortable, and included a newly refurbished bathroom; bonus.

Breakfast was included with the rate that I purchased. It was of a reasonable standard, though some of the meat options were not high quality. This wasn't a problem though, as there was a great selection. I mainly stuck to porridge and fruit, which provided a hearty start to the day. The boiled eggs were also tasty.

The pool area had a good family vibe; nice and relaxed. Many an hour was spent reading books there.

The hotel is located in the 'hotel district' of Dubrovnik, and there are many bars and restaurants nearby. It also only takes around 1 hour to walk to the old town.

All of the staff that I encountered were friendly and very helpful. The receptionist was good enough to book is taxis on a few occasions (which arrived promptly).

All in all a great success. It delivered on my expectations and I would happily recommend this hotel to others.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank ricnic85
Dear Guests,
Amazing review! Thank you, sincerely! Great to read of your experience of staying with us and thank you for making us proud of our efforts to make our guests’ stay a memorable and pleasant experience.
Thank you for choosing Tirena and please let us know when the time comes if we can be of any assistance on your return to us.
Yours sincerely
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from 7 nights at the Tirena, our room had a lovely view and was exceptionally clean and we had maid service everyday!
The food was by far one of the best with regards to variety and quality than I've had in many other hotels around the world.

A huge bonus to this is hotel is that they have three other 'sister' hotels all for you to use so you could never get bored of one pool :) you can drink and dine and charge it to your room at the Tirena which means there's no need to carry cash.

There are three beaches within a short walk all are pebble beaches so I would recommend taking something comfy to lie on, the waters are crystal clear and great for snorkelling but always wear something on your feet!

A bus into the old city is 150 kuna per person each way and well worth it as it's a good hour walk! The bus stop is two minutes from the hotel and runs every ten minutes until the early hours which is needed as the entertainment at Tirena is very limited and more towards an older crowd.

Go walking around the area as there are lots of hidden places to eat and drink a recommendation is Zoe's restaurant right on the front to watch the sunset your find this off a Path on your way towards the valamar president hotel beach (one of the Tirena's sister hotels)

Excursions can be booked through the hotel, we booked to see three islands in one day and it was brilliant with enough time to explore each of them our favourites we're lopud and lockrum, lockrum you can visit from the old city harbour and takes ten minutes and runs every half hour and cost 7 pounds for a return journey and it's by far one of the best islands near Dubrovnik you can easily spend a whole day there.

Only negative is that we we're under the impression Dubrovinik in General was cheaper to eat/drink and buy local surveniors however the prices are very much the same as the UK.

This was a holiday we shall never forget and pleased with everything, thank-you Tirena!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Lp3babies
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear guests,
A big thank you for your extensive review of hotel Tirena. I am very pleased to read that you had an exceptional time on your holiday and that you got the time to fully explore the Dubrovnik area. Like yourself I too feel that Lokrum is a true gem of an island and a perfect relaxing place just minutes away from the busy Old Town. I hope that you left few areas undiscovered so that you can visit Dubrovnik once again in the future. If you are in a need of any help with booking your accommodation please feel free to contact me at any time.
Best regards from Tirena staff
General manager
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We visited this hotel in June. My parents shared a room and my daughter and I shared a room. We payed extra for a room with a view as these rooms had a balcony however our view was of a rather boring internal courtyard. I asked if I could move to a room with a better view and although the hotel staff were very obliging the alternate room was no better. Mum and dad had a better view of the bridge but un fortunately had a large noisy kitchen vent to contend with. Positives, staff very polite, friendly and helpful, hotel and room exceptionally clean, food good, proximity to Dubrovnik excellent and car hire booked at reception very efficient. Negatives, very noisy due to large open area from lower floor right up to top floor so all noise in reception and dining room echoed through hotel, I tried to shut fire doors several times to block the noise out but they kept being propped open. No comfortable seating areas other than three sofas in reception, rest of seats (tables and chairs)in bar area which was busy, hectic and noisy from the ever changing tour groups and the TV. Very dated hotel and some strange dated buildings around it that looked neglected. But, also surrounded by other hotels in valamar group which looked luxurious compared to Tirena. It wasn't even a cheap holiday. I think the main reasons for the criticisms I raise are structural and design, no criticism of staff. I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Paulandjuliek
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear guests,
I am very sorry to read that you were disappointed with the hotel infrastructure. However I am very pleased that our staff did a good job and that you had no remarks on their overall work. I must add that there are plans for hotel Tirena to be upgraded and renovated in the near future so I hope that you will be our guest when that happens so that we can fully meet your expectations on that occasion.
Best regards,