“lovely hotel in quiet setting within easy reach of Dubrovnik”
Review of Tirena Hotel

Tirena Hotel
Ranked #23 of 67 Hotels in Dubrovnik
London, United Kingdom
“lovely hotel in quiet setting within easy reach of Dubrovnik”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We stayed at the hotel mid-August for 10 days (Two adults, one child). It was our second year at the Tirena. The staff are all lovely, and were incredibly kind and thoughtful when one of us (me!) was ill for several days with a flu-type illness. The pool/bar is brilliant, no race to get sunbeds in the morning, a combination of adults and children. Yes, the hotel is a little dated, but to be honest, for the price it is amazing. We stayed half-board, and you cannot beat it for value for money. It's worth booking direct with the hotel and booking flights separately. The rooms are OK, very clean, and very comfortable beds. The hotel is part of the Valamar group, and you can use the facilities of the other hotels on the peninsula, all just a short walk away. One guest at Valamar's 5-star hotel chose to come to our pool because of the great atmosphere at the pool-bar (in no small part due to Mario and other staff). The tennis courts have an amazing view over the harbour. We are already making plans to return in 2015 with some of the people we made friends with this yeaer.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front can be a little noisy
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Dear guests,
We are delighted you and your family have spent such an enjoyable stay with us and that everything from your arrival to all the other services went smoothly throughout your stay.
Thank you for your heart warming review – it means a great deal to the whole hard working Tirena team. We were happy to greet you in our hotel for the second year and we are already looking forward seeing you again next year.
general manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We stayed in the Tirena Hotel with two kids during the last two weeks of August and found it to be excellent value for money. Staff were very friiendly and helpful. We had booked a family room, which in fact turned out to be two connecting rooms, which was ideal from our perspective.The rooms were very clean. The rooms are a wee bit tired looking but the bathrooms were pretty modern/ new looking. We were on the ground floor with patio doors leading to a small terrace and inner courtyard. We were bed and breakfast. The breakfast is buffet style with a good selection of hot and cold foods, note the pancakes are very popular as is the bacon and sometimes you had a few minutes wait, overall the breakfast experience was very good. We ate breakfast in the open air inner courtyard which added to the experience, many thanks to Leona for her friendly service. The pool area is pretty good with a decent sized pool and plenty of sunbeds. Towels are provided at the pool area. The pool snack bar is prettty good value for money too. However it would be good if the Tirena sunbeds, of which there were plenty to satisfy the needs, were of the fabric type used in the other Valamar hotels nearby instead of the hard plastic variety. We visited the other hotels in the group, the Lacroma, Argosy and President and found the facilities to be very good. Some great pools, fantastic views over the bay and you can even charge food / drinks etc. back to your room account. We ate twice at the buffet dinner in the Argosy Hotel and found it be excellent value for money,whilst enjoying fantastic views, many thanks to Alex, the Maitre D for his friendly greeting and service. The beach (peebles) at the President Hotel is far better/ nicer in my opinion than those of the Copacabana and Cava beaches nearby. In all honesty, I/we were disappointed by the Copacabana and Cava beaches, quite small, busy and not so much room. The sea water in general was fantastically clear - great for snorkelling and in the region of 25C every day, which made swimming an absolute pleasure. Beside the hotel, there are some local shops and restaurants in a local precinct. We ate a number of times in the Picniva Dubrava grillhouse which was good value for money. Note, if needing to buy sunscreen/ lotion etc, buy it downtown at the local DM beside the Pile gate, as the local shops to the hotel have a huge profit mark up.
The Tirena is on a penisula called Babin Kuk, it was about 280 KN for the airport transfer and there is a frequent bus service, number 6, to and from the Pile gate in the old town, cost is 12 KN each way, tickets can be bought in the hotel. If staying at the Tirena, it makes more sense to board the bus at the terminus outside the President hotel to give you a good chance of getting a seat - this bus fills very quickly and the journey takes about 15 minutes depending on traffic.
The old town of Dubrovnik is very pretty with many good value restaurants and interesting sights. It is also very busy, with cruise ships and their guests visiting every day! The cable car ride and viewpoint gives excellent views across the bay. The area of Lapad, down at the bottom of the hill on the bus journey from the hotel has a lively pedestrianised area full of bars and restuarants ending at the beach and is well worth a visit for change of scene at nightime.
We did some boat trips to the Elafiti islands and to Lokrum island, which are well worth a visit, for sandy beaches ( not Lokrum- spectacular rocky bays) beautiful scenery, great views and clear water for swimming.
We also visited Montenegro, stunning sea loch views and the very interesting walled city of Kotor. We went onto Budva but were not impressed by its very busy and very dirty beach.

Dubrovnik is not a cheap destination, expect to pay similar prices to Germany for food and drink.
The hotel location gives an ideal base for both a pool/ beach holiday combined with a lively city break, we would most likely return to Dubrovnik and will recommend it to our friends.

Dear guests,
Thank you very much for your extensive review of Tirena hotel. I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your vacation in Dubrovnik and that you were satisfied with all of our hotels in the area and our overall offer.
We are looking forward to your return to Dubrovnik and please feel free to contact me if you are in a need of any help with reservations or booking.
Best regards from Tirena,
General manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We had a very good room looking out onto the back, over a quiet thoroughfare, beyond that a most wonderful view of the Dolomites and the waters of the Adriatic, where each day the cruise ships passed by in and out of Dubrovnik.
The hotel itself was O.K. and the meals were reasonable enough. I would return again but to a different hotel, one closer to the pebbled/stone sunbathing area.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back seemed to be better, if you are not happy with your room demand a better standard.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing hotel Tirena for your stay in Dubrovnik.
I am happy to read you enjoyed your stay and had a peaceful holiday and nice view from your room. Glad to hear you will be our guest again and hope to have the chance to meet and greet you personally very soon, even in some other hotel within our complex.
Best regards,
Manchester
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This looks like a resort hotel complex of the nineties era in need of a facelift.
The rooms were adequate, bed springs were lax, bathrooms looked tired and showers
were lacking force of water. everything worked, staff were excellent trying to cope with
busloads of summer tourists. Attitude of the staff compensated for the drawbacks.
Food quality was average. Noise level was negative point. The views from the Balcony
made up for the negatives of the hotel complex.

Room Tip: Definately balcony overlooking the sea and mountains
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor community and providing us with valuable feedback.
As you noticed some of our hotels in the complex are newly refurbished, and I am happy to say Tirena will undergo the renovation in the future. Nevertheless each year we are upgrading our facilities to a higher level and even more trying to provide excellent service. Therefore I am very pleased to hear our hardworking staff with their positive attitude provided service that compensated for possible drawbacks.
We hope to have you again as our dear guest and until then please let me extend the warmest regards from whole Tirena staff!
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Just returned from a weeks stay. We had a room on 3rd floor to the side which had a balcony. There seem to be quite a few rooms with no balcony. The room was pretty basic but comfortable. It was kept extremely clean. We were three in a room which was a bit of a squash but we managed ok. Breakfast was fine - usual type of buffet. The best aspect of the hotel is the pool. Plenty of beds and umbrellas and towels provided. The pool bar was great. Mario does a mean pina colada! The food at the pool cafe is pretty limited. Tended to have the same thing every day. Staff friendly enough but can be a bit slow on the uptake. There is no ambience at the lounge bar. We mainly sat outside which was pleasant enough. The staff were fine and friendly.

The bus cost 12 kuna per person if you buy at the hotel shop and 15 kuna on the actual bus. Can get quite packed. The Old City is beautiful and I think Dubrovnik is a well kept secret. Great place to visit.

The beach is fairly close and I really enjoyed it as there was no sand. The water is so clear. The beds cost 40 kuna each for the day. There is a large bouncy castle in the water which is great for the kids. My husband and daughter went on the jet ski for 500 kuna for half an hour. The café at the beach is good - keep away from the seafood risotto as the seafood is hard to find and tasted like a tin of tomatoes mixed with rice - was pricey as well at 95 kuna.

Restaurants near the hotel are pretty good. They basically all serve the same menu. A beefsteak tends to be fillet steak and it is a decent size. Pivnica is in the parade of shops near the hotel. This was a surprising find - they actually do proper home made chips. We also tried Komin which is nearer the President hotel. No complaints from either restaurant.

Went on a three island trip which got a bit boring in the end - just going from one beach to another.

The only thing that marred the holiday was when we checked out. I handed the keys in and said that I had paid up the mini bar yesterday. As we were waiting outside for the taxi the lady receptionist (unfortunately I do not have a name) came out and said I still owed 12 kuna for a bottle of water. I told her that I had paid up yesterday but she insisted that I owed this money. I insisted that I had paid up and said I would show her the receipt at which she walked off. I retrieved the receipt and went in but she would not speak to me and handed me over to the gentleman. I explained that I had paid for the water yesterday morning before the cleaner had handed in the ticket. He said that was fine. I found the lady quite rude especially as she declined to speak to me. If I was going to try and get away without paying it would certainly be for a lot more than 12 kuna (£1.20).

Apart from the above we had a lovely stay and I would certainly recommend it.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. I am positive that the tips about the facilities and the restaurants in hotel vicinity will be very useful for all of our future guests.
I am glad to hear you had overall very pleasant stay with us and especially enjoyed our pool. I will extend your praise to Mario, I am sure he will be pleased that his Pina Colada is now known internationally.
I am very sorry to hear about the situation on the departure and please let me extend our deepest apologies. I had a conversation with our front office manager and the receptionist, and let me assure you it was not her intention to offend you in any way. Sometimes our guests forget to pay the minibar without having a bad intention and it is our policy to remind them politely to pay. It was a lapse in judgement from her side to continue to insist on it after you assured her the bill was settled. Once again we are very sorry about this misunderstanding and can only hope you will remember us more by Mario's mean Pina Colada that this unfortunate event.
Thank you and best regards from sunny Dubrovnik,
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We spent four nights here with Riviera Travel. Hotel was quite adequate but just a little tired and in need of some freshening up. Our room on the ground floor was okay size wise and bed very comfortable. Balcony not very private as it overlooked the path to the swimming pool. Air conditioned dining room was excellent with wonderful food with such a great selection every night. Very nice swimming pool and area surrounding it. Staff all very pleasant and helpful..

Room Tip: We had a room on the ground floor to the left as you walk in the main door and it was quite quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Liz D
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear guests,
Thank you very much for commenting on your stay in Tirena with Riviera travel.
I am very pleased that the hotel was up to your standards and that you were fully satisfied with our gastronomical offer and the overall staff service. Thank you again and we hope to be able to welcome you again on some other occasion.
General manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Traveled to Dubrovnik with a few friends in order to attend a wedding. I chose this hotel mainly due to the price, but also due to the proximity to another hotel which some other friends were staying at.

The booking process was simple, and they have a user friendly website (not always the case with hotels).

The check in process was quick, and the rooms themselves were of a good standard. They were clean and comfortable, and included a newly refurbished bathroom; bonus.

Breakfast was included with the rate that I purchased. It was of a reasonable standard, though some of the meat options were not high quality. This wasn't a problem though, as there was a great selection. I mainly stuck to porridge and fruit, which provided a hearty start to the day. The boiled eggs were also tasty.

The pool area had a good family vibe; nice and relaxed. Many an hour was spent reading books there.

The hotel is located in the 'hotel district' of Dubrovnik, and there are many bars and restaurants nearby. It also only takes around 1 hour to walk to the old town.

All of the staff that I encountered were friendly and very helpful. The receptionist was good enough to book is taxis on a few occasions (which arrived promptly).

All in all a great success. It delivered on my expectations and I would happily recommend this hotel to others.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank ricnic85
Dear Guests,
Amazing review! Thank you, sincerely! Great to read of your experience of staying with us and thank you for making us proud of our efforts to make our guests’ stay a memorable and pleasant experience.
Thank you for choosing Tirena and please let us know when the time comes if we can be of any assistance on your return to us.