“ticket takers pocketed the admission fee!”

Dominican Monastery
Ranked #32 of 160 things to do in Dubrovnik
Falls Church, Virginia
148 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 946 helpful votes
“ticket takers pocketed the admission fee!”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I have been doing accounting for 35 years & was an auditor for many of those years. I am attuned to many of the accounting "tricks" to pocket money. The ticket taker purposely told us we only had to pay one admission, & did not give us any receipt so I am positive he pocketed the fee. This definitely marred our visit.

On a whole, I was not impressed with Dubrovnik & felt it was a big tourist ripoff. They were definitely out for the tourist buck everywhere you went. I hated the crowds of people & didn't like DBV at all- I took an almost instant dislike to it & my opinion did not change during the 3 days we were there. Go elsewhere!

We enjoyed the monastery but like others said, the employees were not friendly & seemed to resent the tourists.

The fee was too high for what we saw so I would not recommend going here. Go to the walls & cable car & that's it.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank DianeER

• Czech first
  • Korean first
Pleasanton, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Watch out for the abusive employees at the Dominican Monastery”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My wife and I just returned from an August trip to wonderful and overcrowded Dubrovnik. This city is now apparently a must see destination and was a sea of tourists while we were there. The one day the city set a record as six cruise ships disgorged thousands into the relatively small confines of the walled city. It was unpleasant to watch as hundreds were lined up to climb the staircase to walk the walls around the city.
Dubrovnik is a highly desirable destination but I'd strongly recommend going in low- or at least shoulder-season after the hoards have retreated.
We did visit the small but impressive art and antiquity collection at the Dominican Monastery where I was yelled out across a crowded gallery for taking a non-flash photograph. The woman was quite abusive and confrontational, calling me a liar for not knowing what the rules were. Onlookers, my wife and I were astounded by this woman's rudeness. After that we did a quick survey and we were out of there. Our experience seems to echo what happened to another visitor with rude staff whose review is listed for this destination.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank phototraveler58
North Wales, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A quiet haven in Dubrovnik, but there are other places just as quiet and cheaper¬”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

A bit over-hyped. OK, the 3rd oldest pharmacy is preserved here and some relics (including a labelled hole shot out in the 91/92 siege) but in my eyes not really worth 30 kunars per person

Visited September 2013
Potsdam NY
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Dominican Monastery in Dubrovnik”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I had the good fortune to teach for five weeks in the Dubrovnik International University, which is located on the top floor of the Dominican Monastery. So I got to see the monastery every time I went to the university, and also went inside and saw the great works of art there. I would recommend a visit to the monastery and to the university as a great way to see some works of art and also get a wonderful view from the windows of the university.

Visited April 2013
Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Delightful”
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

Building is old and so vintage. There is also little museum which was very first pharmacy in Europe. Now, there are displayed stuff they used. In the middle there is the most beautiful garden I've ever seen. Only thing I can say is: What a vintage haven!

Visited August 2013