We had a brilliant 6 night stay at this Hilton franchise last month.
The location is of course its main attraction, being only a stones throw from the city gate entrance. We didn't realise just how much of a benefit this was until the 2nd day when, after walking around the city and climbing the wall and almost 1 in 3 streets, we were so pleased not to have a lengthy uphill walk to the various other hotels in the area. It was also a bonus in the evening after a good meal and a few drinks- who wouldn't want to look over the road and see their hotel.
The room we had was an exec plus on the top floor. This was a decent size and was very comfortable. We were delighted to find that because it was a corner room it had a very good sized balcony with room for a table,chairs and sun lounger (although when I enquired prior to our stay I was told none of the balconies had room for loungers.)
The exec lounge was very nice but with a rather limited range of drinks, and food which although very nice and pretty was perhaps a little too posh. There wasn't any of the usual cheeses, nachos,crisps etc. What was offered however was of a very good quality. The lounge hostesses were the best at any club lounge we have experienced. They were very friendly and helpful and we made friends of a couple of them. The small balcony offered a fantastic view of the ocean and old town.
The bar is large and comfortable with an extensive choice of drinks - unfortunately it was devoid of any atmosphere as it was so rarely used. We couldn't work out why, although one of the 3 barman we saw had an unusual way about him - perhaps other guests felt the same and didn't stop by for a drink.
Reception/lobby was a decent size manned by very helpful staff (Mia was our favourite.) I was a little concerned though when they insisted on taking the whole cost of our stay plus 50 euro's per day and pre-authourising it. Usually only a small figure is taken. In addition it was confusing when trying to check the correct room rate had been charged, as I booked the room in euros but it was charged in Kunas. A tip - take Kunas. Do not take Euros. Most places,incuding the hotel bar, worked the conversion out in their heads and it was always a poor one. We took kuna and were glad we did.
Breakfast was absolutely wonderful. An extensive choice,with the usual egg station, and the most helpful and pleasant staff. Only decent bacon & sausages were missing.
The spa was a little disappointing. Not much of a spa like feel, and the treatment nothing to write home about. It was ok though.
One of the aspects which stood out most about our holiday was that at the hotel and all the bars,restaurants and shops the people were so friendly and welcoming. We have never felt so valued. I have a theory that this is because without exception they were all Croatian, and mainly from Dubrovnik. Perhaps they feel they have a vested interest in treating their visitors well. It certainly works.
Across the road from the hotel are 2 open air restaurants, one with views over directly over the fort, the other a few yards away. The one with the views was always much busier but we tried the other one (Gallus) on our first evening and found the food and service far better (and less expensive.) Ask for Robert and you will not go wrong.
I would say the only downside to the Hilton, especially in hot weather is that there isn't an outside area to sunbathe nor a swimming pool. A 3 night stay might be ok, but any longer in summer and I would choose somewhere with a pool etc to relax by. This is the reason for 4 and not 5 stars.
In summary, an excellent,comfortable hotel with the most friendly staff in an unbeatable location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dominating the area of approach to the Dubrovnik old city, the hotel overlooks the ancient walls and historic red roof tops of the cities palaces. On the four floors in both buildings this historic boutique hotel offers a wide choice of rooms of different size and shapes, following the historic architecture of the former hotel. All 147 air-conditioned rooms, are characterized by a Mediterranean touch that features a combination of modern technology and traditional charm. •Located on the doorstep of Dubrovnik's historic Old town•Historic Dubrovnik hotel - delivering hospitality service since 1897•147 luxurious appointed rooms with Mediterranean touch•Executive Lounge on the third floor with terrace - spectacular views over the Old town and Adriatic sea•Renowned Restaurant Porat - ultimate dining experience•The Lobby Bar, The Lounge Bar•Fully equipped Health Club - indoor swimming pool, sauna, steam bath and gym ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Agoda, Ebookers, Priceline, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik Hotel Dubrovnik
- Hilton International Dubrovnik
- Hilton Dubrovnik
- Dubrovnik Hilton