“Nice little hotel”

Ranked #30 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Nice little hotel”
Reviewed 10 October 2008

A nice little hotel in the lapad area, this is a fair walk from Dubrovnik's walled city, about 3kms I think. We walked several times and caught the bus for 10Kuna from the top of the road.

The hotel is small, however very nice and clean. Breakfast is included and is continental plus omelette's which the waiter is keen for you to try, they are however very nice.

There are many places to each and drink close by and boat trips leave from a dock a short distance away.

On the second day they took the wet towel away and didn't replace it, a small issue, but slightly disappointing.

There is no wireless networking in the rooms, which is a shame, however there is excellent 3G coverage.

Booking through Hotels.com or expedia does not include the local tourist tax.

• Liked — Clean, Friendly
  • Disliked — Location in relation to walled city
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank matt_from_nottingham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Turkish first
Dublin
Reviewed 25 September 2008

A very good quality 3 star hotel in great location on lovely promenade near beach and plenty of restaurants nearby. Hotels tend to be on the pricey side in dubrovnik but Hotel Perla is very clean with rooms well presented. Its also reasonably priced and deserves more credit. Breakfast is no great shakes in any hotel but the omelette and muesli isn't a bad start to the day. No 6 bus is 2mins walk around the corner and a 10min journey to Pile gate. The car park near the hotel is a perfect pick up point for a taxi to the airport. When I return I will stay here in lovely Dubronik!!

• Liked — location, price and very clean hotel
  • Disliked — No complaints really!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 September 2008

I thought the Hotel Perla was a good spot. It's an easy, 10 minute bus ride from the Old City and is located in a nice "suburb" of Dubrovnik. There are lots of hotels, cafes and a beach on the strip where it is located. A good option if you don't mind being a bit on the outskirts (I always like taking buses in foreign countries anyway -- gives another perspective).

• Stayed August 2008
Edinburgh
Reviewed 16 August 2008

Very close to the beaches in Lapad, lots of places to eat and drink nearby, Hotel Perla is a decent hotel in a good location. It is not big, but the rooms are a very good size, as is the bathroom. Aircon works well and we had a balcony overlooking the pedestrian area in front.

Breakfast was good with a fairly wide choice of cold things and choice of eggs.

• Liked — Size of room
  • Disliked — Poky reception area
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Kent, England
Reviewed 6 June 2008

This hotel is in a really popular area, but manages to stay fairly low key. Its rooms are a nice size and it even has wired broadband if needed, it has air conditioning.. Most rooms have balcony ours overlooked the walkaway to he beach and it was nice people watching and seeing what was going on, if you wanted to just have a read with a book from your hotel room. The hotel restuarant wasnt bad at all and offered 10 per cent discount to guests who ate their. Breakfast was simple but okay. The hotel is near a regularly bus stop and easy to catch a 10 minute journey to the old town, it drops you off not far from the hotel as well. It has bars and cafes right along the same road but it wasnt noisy at all at night. Everything is clean and tidy and the reception is friendly and inviting. There is however some building work going on opposite it didnt spoil our stray but if your room overlooks it then they tend to work during the day and it could get abit noisy and dusty should you be in your room or sitting on your balcony..

The hotel was very near the beach, its location was very good as staying in the old town was far to expensive for us this really was a nice little hotel and would recommend it. it perhaps deserves a higher number rating on Tripadvisor, perhaps it hasnt been revied enough. . It is on the same street as Hotel Compass and Zegred.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank westsharon
London
Reviewed 19 August 2007

A pleasant, small hotel in Lapad, a suburb of Dubrovnik. The centre of the town is hectic but Lapad is a bit more laid back although there are still plenty of restaurants and cafes. The hotel is clean, our room was quite big with a balcony and sea view. Staff were generally friendly and helpful. Breakfast, a standard fare of cereals and bread with cheese/jam etc was included in the rate.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank JosieH
Ireland
Reviewed 1 August 2006

The trip to Dubrovnik was booked through a travel agent so I didn’t as much chose this hotel as was given it. That said, I had no major complaints about the hotel, which is situated on the Lapad Peninsula, although there were a few areas in which improvements could be made.

Firstly, “Šetalište kralja Zvonimira bb”, the street on which this hotel is situated, is a pedestrianised street, so no taxis can come to the door of the hotel. However, there is a car-park about 100 yards or so away, to where taxis can bring one. My personal experience was that the taxi driver was unsure of exactly where on the street the hotel was located, so he just waved me in the general direction. I did not anticipate a problem with this, as such, except that, as I discovered, the front of the hotel is covered over with canopies and umbrellas, etc., and consequently the name of the hotel is hardly visible at all. I had to walk up and down the street a couple of time before I found the hotel and, even then, it was only through recognising the picture of the balcony that had appeared on the website that I eventually found the hotel. Even throughout the holiday, as I got to know the hotel and the surrounding area quite well, it was often the aforementioned image along with the noise of the squeaky swing, in the little playground opposite the hotel, that alerted me to the fact that I was back at base.

Once inside the hotel I was met by a very friendly staff member who was utterly charming and who quickly took my details and my passport. Having checked out beforehand I knew that this hotel did not have any rooms with a sea-view, so I had no expectations there, however, I was given a room with a view – a view of a building site, that is! Luckily my stay in the hotel centred around the weekend so I avoided any noise from the building site and even on the Monday and Tuesday of my holiday the noise was never very loud (for the little amount of time I was indoors in the hotel).

The hotel appeared to have been refurbished/rebuilt recently, so the bedrooms were very clean and crisp. The bedroom itself was a good size, with plenty of storage space, a pretty little balcony, a mini-bar and most importantly of all it had air-conditioning. There was a reasonable size bathroom, that had a power-shower (the entrance/exit to this was quite small though) but no bath. There were no complimentary shower gels/shampoos at all in the bathroom (except for a little bar of soap) and with not even a complimentary shower-cap one would need to have one’s own toiletries.

Having showered and unpacked, I made my way downstairs to get something to eat in the restaurant that adjoined the hotel and then to take a stroll around the area to get my bearings. As I was exiting the hotel, I observed that the reception desk was unattended and anyone who so wished could have reached in and taken any of the passports that were in the pigeon-holes on the wall inside the desk. A little uneasy at the thought of this, I went inside the desk and pocketed my own passport. Nobody ever commented on this to me afterwards and neither was I asked if got my passport back.

I dined in the adjoining restaurant that night, under the stars, and because the food was so good I pitched my knife and fork there each of the other nights too. The menu was fairly extensive and the staff were pleasant and professional.

However, as I discovered the next morning, the same compliments could not be given to the breakfast that was served there. The cornflakes tasted like nothing that Kellogs had ever made and the orange juice tasted like it was made from concentrate to which enough water had not been added. The bread that was served was fairly tasteless. As far as I could establish, there was a ‘better’ breakfast available to people who came and bought their breakfast at the restaurant as I saw menus being handed to a number of people who were not guests but who chanced upon the place as they were passing by. The breakfast had been included in the overall price I paid but had it not I would have gone somewhere else each morning to eat.

The only other little whinge I would have about the hotel is that I found the bedroom door very difficult to open. There was a “trick” to it – one had to turn the key, hold it in place and ever so slightly pull the door forward, to get the door unlocked. Perhaps that was just the case with the door of the room in which I stayed or perhaps it was the case throughout the hotel, I really cannot say, but I wish I had been warned about this at the front desk – it would have saved me considerable grief the first few times I tried to enter the room!

Although small in size, the hotel is in a very good location, about half-way along a street that at one end leads to the beach and which, at the other end, has a bus-stop and a taxi rank, as well as an ATM, a Tourist Office and a Post Office. As one goes towards the beach, there are several stalls selling “beach gear” as well as souvenirs and postcards. The only slight irritation along this street was the number of salespeople trying to sell trips to the Islands! Irrespective of the above points, I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel (though do get breakfast some place else)!

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — No sea-view
  • Tips/Secrets — Get breakfast some place else!
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled solo