“Well located for exploring the walled city.”
Review of Rooms Ivo

Rooms Ivo
Rooms Ivo
Ranked #298 of 502 Speciality Lodging in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Ivo and his wife (Vesna?) met me at the airport, as arranged, and took me to his apartments. Although the room was dated, it was clean and comfortable and having my own shower and toilet suited me.I spent 3 nights there in May 2012 and I found it preferential to be just outside of the walls to stay because inside the walls there were hordes of tourists (mostly off cruise ships). The entry to the walled area was just across the street to his apartments, next to a public car park and just below the cable car. Each morning when I opened the door to my room I was invited into his kitchen for a coffee and chat (with his wife). I found this to be a very friendly gesture and enjoyed their company. Next time I go to Dubrovnik I will happily stay at Ivo's.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Stephen W
There are newer reviews for Rooms Ivo

Reviewed 28 May 2012

I wish i could title this, 'you get what you pay for' but at 220K (first night, 200K subsequent nights), we stayed at places in Korchula and Hvar (having been met at the ferry by 'touts') that were far nicer for 200K. My husband had been swayed at the bus stop (an ugly experience; maybe best to book your first night in Dubrovnik to avoid this!) by Ivo's insistance that his rooms had 'old town' location. indeed, that was the (only) reason we stayed two additional nights.

We declined Ivo's offer to take us to the airport as we left. By this time my husband was seeing Ivo for the 'wheeler dealer' that many of the reviews here show him to be. My biggest complaint was Ivo's hushed comments (twice) not to mention how little we were paying as he had (predominantly Japanese) guests 'paying more' whom he didn't want to know this. These were sweet people, and maybe it was that they didn't FEEL ripped off because of meals taken with Ivo and his wife, transportation, etc., but it seemed he used their innocence to sell them on letting him provide tours and transport that they could've found themselves.
The room we had was in the front of the apartment, a large double bed and a single as well as a roll-in that we asked them to remove so we wouldn't trip over it. It overlooked the aforementioned noisy parking lot, though we were exhausted all three nights so the noise, though irksome, didn't prevent our sleeping. We shared a bathroom with at least 4 other guests although we never found ourselves unable to use it when we needed it. Nothing was terribly clean, the entire apartment was dilapidated and the walk up of two short flights smelled of cat urine and decay. There is an outside light but either the bulb had burned out or no one felt it necessary to keep it on at night causing us to very carefully tiptoe in to the dark entrance and up the flight of stairs, accustoming ourselves to the dark as we went.
Both mornings Ivo offered coffee (or, in our case, hot water, as i'd bought some instant cuppachino) but it seemed a means of finding out what our plans were or getting another night out of us rather than genuine hospitality.
It's a hassle finding a place 'as you go'. we had a tour early the next morning to kotor so it wasn't worth the hassle of having Ivo hold our bags, then looking for another place on our 7 p.m. return. The final night was a Saturday and we allowed ourselves to be placated by what we were paying (reminded me of the joke whose punchline is, 'that you are 'available', madamn, is clear, now all we're clarifying is the price) and the fact that finding another room for just one remaining night would be awkward. All in all, I wish I'd gone with my 'gut' when first brought to Ivo's and said, 'No, thanks', wondering the entire time if having a more pleasant place might have made our impressions of Dubrovnik and Croatia much more favorable.
Needless to say, I'll use Tripadvisor in future, as we could've been a LOT happier if I had and hopefully others will be be through my having shared our perceptions.

Room Tip: the back room was dark and had two single beds and as much as it seemed quieter, we would have defin...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wanderlassie
Reviewed 25 March 2012

we met ivo and his wife at bus station. they asked if we were looking for a room, we said no, but they insisted on. we were looking for a place next to the bus station, and they said that they could bring us there for free. We accepted to stay there for one night at 25 euro. when we went home, he said that room has a private toilet so we should pay 35 euro. Even though the room and the toilet is not CLEAN as we wish, we said OK thinking that we promised at first. Next day while we are leaving, ivo said that he was busy so he could not take away us to the bus station. we said we pointed that, but he said no. also he wanted additional fee for heater.
we went to bus station with bus and guess who was there? ivo and his wife were there waiting for the new victims.
there are a lot of reasons not staying there. ivo is not a reliable person. his house is not clean. I am sure that they did not even change the bed clothes for new guests. apart from these, his house is next to the autopark and there were noise of parking cars and voice of talking people during the night. you cannot find worse place then ivo's home.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Zerrin K
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Loved it ~ great location, good value, delightful host, enthusiastic assistance, authentic charm. I would definitely recommend this lodging for anyone wanting a laid-back comfy bed in delightful Dubrovnik. This location is for the traveller - not the 4-star hotel type tourist; i.e., no spa, room service, or pool.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank nhardin
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Had a lovely stay with Ivo and his family. Arrived in the dark but Ivo and Vesna met me at the airport bus stop and took me back to their delightful home. My room was small but with a leafy outllook and ideal for one. Ivo frequently made me Croatian coffee and we talked about everything from Dubrovnik to the Beatles! The accommodation was clean and comfortable and Ivo arranged a place for me to stay in Split which turned out to be excellent. I returned to stay with Ivo at the end of my holiday and his warmth and hospitality will stay with me for a long time.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank RealityCheque
Reviewed 2 October 2009

Ivo and his wife are the best. Ivo and his wife picked us up at the cruise ship dock when we arrived from Italy. We were skeptical at first, but when we got to the place, it was right where we wanted to be. Rooms were roomy, good bathrooms, hot water, and Ivo's wife Vesna made us an authentic Croatian meal for us and 2 Australians that were also staying there (Hi KATE and SHAUN!).YOU CANNOT BE ANY CLOSER TO OLD CITY UNLESS YOU ARE INSIDE. You can literally walk 1 minute and you will be inside the walls of Dubrovnik. So rad. Best value by far. Highly recommended. Thanks again to Ivo and his family for the awesome stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2009

The room we had was large and bright, furnished with antique style cupboards and chairs. It is superbly located, just outside the Old Town walls. I would definitely recommend staying outside the walls because, while beautiful, the Old Town streets are tiny and cramped. Exploring these little streets was great fun, and the smell of grilled fish wafting through the air every night was always delicious, but being able to escape into space and light was a welcome relief.

The family who took care of us were great, as they picked us up from the airport, arranged inter-city bus bookings for us and ensured we got there in time. They were also very able to provide all-important information and suggestions on things to do and see in Dubrovnik.

It is important to note that this accommodation offered is a room – not an apartment. With an apartment you would customarily find self containing facilities like fridges, kettles and sometimes cooking facilities.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple