“Decent hotel with great views”
Review of Ariston Hotel

Ariston Hotel
Ranked #17 of 67 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Oakham, United Kingdom
“Decent hotel with great views”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We enjoyed our 5 nights at the Ariston.
Good sized rooms-we had a sea view with balcony-the manageress was helpful and agreed to us moving to a room where there were no obstructions to the view.
Breakfasts were very good and the general facilities fine.
2 or 3 pools plus access to the sea for bathing.
Nice setting away from the town with easy access to the No 6 bus .

Room Tip: If booking seview room then it needs to be levels 1200/1300 for unrestricted views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Graham T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Vaasa, Finland
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel was our last stop on our 3 week holiday. Most of the hotels we had stayed at during our holiday had been 4-star hotels and they had all been very nice, so I had quite high expectations for this one as well as it claims to be a 5-star hotel. Of course I understand that the star ratings are based on the services available, but having a 5-star rating should set a certain standard. When we drove up to this place I wanted to cry when I saw then very ugly and old looking uncharismatic building block. I however told myself that it's probably just the outside that is old, so it wouldn't matter. The hotel shares it's lobby with another hotel, called the Neptune or something, which is not classified as 5-star. This is interesting, because as far as I could see, they shared the beach, the pools, restaurants etc. as well. Arriving at the hotel I asked where we should park the car. The man behind the desk told us to leave it somewhere outside, it didn't apparently matter that much. At this point I was excepting him to offer someone to help us with the bags. No such luck. As we were checking in, I asked him if we could get a room facing the sea. The answer was a definite no. At the same time I heard them upgrading the couple next to me to a suite in the #1 ranked hotel which is located just around the corner from the Ariston and seems to have the same owners. I wasn't too upset about not getting a sea view nor an upgrade, so we took our keys and proceeded dragging our bags towards the room (unassisted of course). I started having a bad feeling when I realised our room was on ground floor. When we got to it, I was speechless. And not in a good way. Don't get me wrong, the rooms are definitely not awful. They are spacious and probably used to be very nice in the 80s or so. Our room had one window, which was facing the road, actually the road was right outside it pretty much. The room had carpeting on the floor, furniture that badly needed reviewing and a bathroom with cracked tiles. As if I wasn't unhappy enough it soon became very clear that we probably had the crappiest room in the whole hotel, we were in the crossroad of two corridors, so we could constantly hear people walking by, and through the paper thin door I was able to hear their conversations from word to word. I knew we wouldn't be sleeping well so we went back to the reception to ask to chance the room. What happened next was what made me truly annoyed. The guy at the reception, the same one that had given us such "great" service before, told us that they sure did have rooms but as people might still be arriving later that night, they wouldn't agree to let us change before maybe the next morning. What kind of logic is it that you'll give the crappiest rooms to the people arriving first and save the better ones for the people arriving late? The only answer I can come up with is that we had pre-paid our stay, so they assumed they could give us anything and we would just have to anything. I slept terribly that night and seriously contemplated just paying for another hotel but in the morning we were luckily allowed to change rooms (after again having to request it) and this one was then on the first floor, facing the road again, but clearly in tidier condition than the one we had been given the first night. Not that it was very nice now either but that's just because the rooms really need an update.

So let's go to the positives of this place. The location is very good if you want to stay at the beach. It is easy to get to old town as there is a bus going very close to the hotel, and it goes quite frequently (tickets are around 15HKR). There are several lounge chairs at the rock at the sea, they do not really have a beach as such, but this isn't that surprising in Croatia. Wifi and breakfast is included, but wifi doesn't work at the lounge chairs for example. Breakfast was one of the poorer ones we had in Croatia, there are things to choose from but they run out of stuff quite quickly and can't keep up with filling up. But there should be something for everyone as there are several choices. They have a gym but the equipment is very old there as well.

As we left we pulled the car up front and dragged our stuff down from our room, a bellboy asked us if we needed help. When the bags were outside the car already. This was the first time we had been offered any actual service, this was actually the first time I even saw a bellboy. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at his halfhearted attempt to service us by help lifting a bag into the car.

If we go back to Dubrovnik, which I assume we will sometime as the city is absolutely beautiful, I highly doubt the Ariston will be our choice of hotel. If you choose to stay here the main thing is to under no circumstances have any kind of high hopes and maybe you will not be disappointed. Don't let the five star raining fool you.

Room Tip: If you get offered room 1110 (or was it 1010 that was on the ground floor, don't remember), ask...
7 Thank Linda N
London
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Really lovely hotel, beach bar area fantastic.... Only point we would make is the pool in The spa of The Royal Princess (was upgraded from Ariston) was full of kids with balls, lilo's etc, not very relaxing for a spa. Food in The Princess A La Carte was fantastic, staff very helpful and polite.

Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

Taree, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

After being very disappointed with our pre booked accommodation in Dubrovnik, we were delighted to change to the Ariston. We appeared to get standby rates as it was considerably cheaper than reported on Tripadvisor. Although a large hotel, the staff were very attentive. The room was spacious, modern and clean, with a fantastic view over the Adriatic. The restaurant (with the same view) served a very good breakfast including eggs and omelettes made to order. The seaside pools were a treat in the warm weather.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We had booked this hotel for romantic rooms sea facing for three couples for three nights.
On landing up we were told hotel was over booked and we were being accommodated in sister hotel next door which was also not five star . Finally after wasting three hours and with the intervention of Tom [--] the General Manager and owner we were accommodated at Valamar Dubrovnik President ; a excellent five star property next door.
As a goodwill gesture we were offered wine and dinner which was excellent at the Ariston.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank PRAMODKRISHNA
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Definitely a high standard hotel. Rooms are quite basic, but the hotel area is nice with good swimming pools and restaurants. Staff is really professional and extremely helpful, everything worked even better than we expected and quality of service exceeded our expectations. The breakfast was good as you can expect. Still I have to say, in my opinion the night rate is a bit too high comparing to the quite basic rooms.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 10 July 2014

As most hotels in Dubrovnik, the 5-star Ariston (part of a 4 hotel "Importanne Resort" complex) is rated probably one star higher than it should, but is nevertheless what I'd call a very nice 4-star hotel. We actually booked a room in the 4-star Neptune also part of the complex, but were upgraded to a room at the Ariston. If you're considering between the Neptune and Ariston, yes, Ariston is worth the extra money. The rooms are roomy and nice, and if you have a room on the 3rd or higher floor on the seaside, the balcony view is incredible. Nice pools, good restaurants, excellent service and right next to the bus stop to the Old Town, we truly enjoyed our couple nights here. Recommended.

Room Tip: Opt for seaview and at least the 3rd floor. Trees block the view partially on the 2nd and almost com...