“Great place to stay when in Dubrovnik” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostel Marker Dubrovnik Old Town

Hostel Marker Dubrovnik Old Town
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Great place to stay when in Dubrovnik”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is a great place to stay when in Dubrovnik as its so centrally located. Marker is very friendly and will go out his way to make your visit easy. He was extremely helpful and really went beyond his obligations especially when I forgot my passport in Hvar and he had to liase with the guys over there to have it sent back to me with a local driver via ferry then bus. Thank you so much for your help and look forward to being back!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Very easy to get to The Hostel Marker because it is on the Pile Gate terminal (and you can take a bus to go anywhere in Dubrovnik, that is a small city and you won't take more than 20 minutes to get wherever you want). You will be close to everything that happens in Dubrovnik. Just a few steps from the hostel and you're on the Pile Beach, where you can kayaking or in the Old Town. Is very close to the Lovrijenac Fortress too. There are a lot of restaurants, bakeries, markets nearby the hostel.

Mr. Marker and Martin are very helpful and nice staff. I definitely recommend the hostel and I'm sure I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Carol M
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

For a one night stay so that we could experience Dubrovnik nightlife it was worth it. But the bathrooms were disgusting and the walls so thin you heard every movement, so a lay in not possible at all! If all you Wana do is sleep then it's fine. Must mention the owner though, very very friendly and helpful man.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Emily B
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

I read very good reviews for this place and booked to go with my partener in July this year. Thoroughly disappointed. I stayed in a room which were one of the shared bathroom and fan rooms- all that was available at the time.
The towels were dirty and soiled and the bed sheets were more than suspicious looking with two single beds pushed together to sleep on.
The shared bathroom between 5 rooms (!) of people had no toilet paper and the shower was appalling. The water pressure was so low it would only trickle when at waist height. This was also ice cold at the hot water was not working. Therefore you had to crouch to shower under an ice cold trickle of water.
The fan also had not been checked and was not working so I had to take it back to the Martin and Marko who were very nice about it and did find me a replacement as soon as possible.
The owners were helpful about what to do and where to eat but the standard of our room was completely unacceptable and the bathroom was even worse.
Location is a pull but we stayed a couple of apartments up earlier in our trip and that was half the price per night and a much more comfortable stay!
It was a depressing end to our trip and we would have changed where we were staying if everywhere else was not full. I would avoid this property unless you are backpacking and not fussed about what the rooms are really like. However if you want to save money on your trip- Avoid.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank CB242013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Hostel Marker last month for two nights. My friend had been before and recommended it. The location is it's real selling point, right beside the beautiful Pile Bay and a stones throw from Pile Gate. Marko and Martin were both very friendly and helpful. The only downside is that it's a little difficult to find, I was really confused but I called the desk and Martin came to get me. The dorm room was small and basic but that doesn't bother me. It was well air conditioned so no suffering from the crazy heat. Accommodation is expensive in Dubrovnik, however Hostel Marker strikes a decent balance between cost and location. It has to be the closest hostel to old town in the city, if not definitely one of them. If I return to Dubrovnik I'll most definitely stay there again. Recommended.

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights after a week or so of hostelling in Croatia.
There were only twin rooms available but my room (shared) was clean, comfortable and overlooked the water.
Bathroom was small but clean and shared with one other room only.
Reception staff (Martin) very helpful and friendly, carried my bag for me and pointed us towards all the highlights.

Room Tip: Room 2 in the other block has a nice sea view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 0001Wanderer0001
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed at hostel marker during the first part of our visit to Croatia. On arriving to the country we found out our bags were lost in transit. Martin and Marco, the front of hourse, were a wonderful help to us. They not only called the airport for us on numerous occasions untill we got our bags but lent my boyfriend clothing and shoes as he only had the jeans he wore on the plane. We are pretty sure that the clothing came from their own closets. They also let us sunscreen so we wouldnt have to go buy a bottle. Fantastic location. The only downside was that the air conditioning was located in the hall, not our room and that there was no common area. Wifi was available in the kitchen but we could not get it in our room.

We would 100% stay there again if we ever need a budget accommodation in Dubrovnik.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple