Villa Boro
Hotel Lapad(Dubrovnik)
US$258
US$235
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswelcome drinkstayed here for one nightthe busgreat apartmentsher daughteramazing viewsold townfresh towelsapartment was very cleanvisited dubrovnikwould stay againenjoyed our stayfew stepsshort walkfridgelapadbalcony
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

My mother and I recently stayed at Villa Boro. As soon as I made the booking we had received an email from the owners advising they has received the booking, they also advised they could organise airport pick up for us (which we accepted) driver was waiting for us at airport and took us to Villa Boro. We walked up three flights of stairs and were greeted by Martija she offered us a welcome drink and explained a little of how to get to the Main Street etc. the room was on the top floor (yes more stairs) and was a great size and had a beautiful sunny balcony, fresh towels everyday. We enjoyed our stay and have no trouble recommending this apartment, only thing that may be a negative for some would be the many stairs it takes to get to the restaurants, beach and buses. It's around 230 stairs (great exercise but not good for elderly or families with small children)

Busses are about 10 minute walk (down the stairs) bus 6, 5 and 2a will all take you to Old Town in around 10 minutes.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Positives:
Friendly lady and daughter, had a welcome drink and cake upon arrival.
I felt welcomed and had a positive feeling about the place. Met very friendly neighbors and all of us hung out on the balcony which made my stay more enjoyable :)

On the last day, they drove me to the bus station, which was very kind as it was a hot day, and also I would have had to take the stairs down with my suitcase. Thank you very much for a nice stay.

Negatives:
Expect a lot of stairs! As for cleanliness, the sink was EXTREMELY dirty, like nobody cleaned it for months. Hairs on the blanket and pillow. I think the family does a great job to run a nice business. If they can get the cleaners to do a better job, like cleaning the sink after each client....it would be perfect.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We stayed in Villa Boro for 4 nights with a group of young people. First thing I mention is that it would not be a child friendly place simply because to get to the beach or a shop/restaurant parade you have to climb over 200 steps joining the streets as its on a big hill. Most of the time we didn't mind but it was not always appealing, so you think twice to pack all of the stuff for the beach when you go to breakfast as you might not fancy going back all those stairs. On the other hand you get great views.
Villa did not do breakfast but there was a communal kitchen for those in double rooms to keep their food and drinks in.
The restaurants in the parade were not amazing, all of them serve very similar food like pizza, pasta etc. so if you wanted something decent you could go to the near by hotels on Neptune beach. Some of our friends tried Hotel More and had a nice meal there.
The advantage of this place was that you can access two very different beaches.
The main busier Lapad beach is down the steps, through the parade, it is quite a big beach with plenty of restaurants and bars, pebbles mixed with concreted bits and assault coarse at the end. Water was ok, but not the cleanest you can get in Croatia.
If you head the opposite direction from the villa and get to the end of the road and follow the main road for about 5 minutes you get to a more sophisticated part where the coast is rocky with smaller pebbly beaches with crystal clean water. There are a few hotels where you can get a drink or food or hire sun loungers. Personally I preferred this part of coast much more than the busy Lapad beach.
Receptionists were always very helpful with calling taxis, giving directions, etc.
Place was cleaned and new towels given every day. The only slight problem was when we wanted to sit outside late night we were told off by other guests or staff to be quiet. So not recommended for noisy partying.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This place is a good value. It has a bedroom, small dining room and fully equipped kitchen as well as a private bathroom. We were greeted by the owners who gave us a welcome drink and some tips on how to get around. It is located on a hillside, so there are some stairs to get to the hotel, but it didn't bother us. The bed, like many hotels in europe is two twins pushed together. There's a nice view, and its close to lots of restaurants and a small beach. The bus stop to take you to old town is just down the street (5-10 minute walk) and takes you directly there in about 10 minutes. Overall, I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Let me make this as clear ad possible. I'm not the type of person to write reviews but the person that I went and stayed there with and myself both agreed we had to do it, so trust me on this one. Plus, I'm a very seasoned traveler and not really picky, I'm very easygoing, etcetera. (This is actually my first review ever..)
First, the street this hostel is in doesn't even appear on a GPS. It's very hard to find even for one who is good with directions. Keep in mind this was my first time ever in Dubrovnik and I had a rented car. The owner seemed mad because we called when we got lost, which we decided to do after getting lost for almost an hour in such narrow streets that the car almost didn't fit and were impossible to turn around at the dead ends. We had to back up in reverse on more than one since there was no other way to exit said streets. We got there thanks to a lady who helped us. (I think she was a Tour guide). Anyway, she spoke to the owners on the phone and they agreed to wait for us on the street to guide us. No one was there when we got close to the place, by close I mean the same street just a few houses down. I found it by myself with help from the "tour guide" lady and some neighbors.
When we got there we had to climb many steps with our suitcases, tired from a trip from Zadar. The attitude of the owner or old man in charge came off as kind of hostile.
He gave us a welcome drink but we really didn't enjoy it. A cheap beer and some strange juice...
We asked him for maps and advice on how to get faster to Downtown since it's a long drive because the hostel is on the far side of the city. He gave us directions but was so fast in giving them to us and had such little interested in given them that I had to ask again to someone else the next day (outside of the hostel). I also asked him for an extra map for my friend and he looked for it but got upset and seemed confused as to why we wanted one map for each one of us...Two maps total which are supplied by the Dubrovnik Tourism Office...Free of charge.
We requested a room with sea view but didn't get the exact one we requested, it wasn't bad so I have to give them that. An OK view. I have to point out that the Air Conditioner's Fan is out in the balcony next to chairs and a table so if you want to have a drink outside with the AC on, it will be hot. And you will probably want the AC on all the time because it gets warm.
So going back to the room the owner lady walked us to it and we discovered a toilet paper roll more than halfway used. There was an extra one but.. It was uncomfortable. A feeling of using someone elses TP. The small bathroom was not in proper order. It was average...
The lady had dirty fingernails. My friend and I noticed this and it was disgusting.
The batteries on the AC control didn't work. The lady said that people change them to steal them. I believe this could happen but the odds of it happening exactly to me are slim, it came off as [--].
So she went and came back with new ones. Nobody checked many things before we got there obviously.
I wanted to go to the city during the night but since it was so confusing to get there (keep in mind I've only been a couple of hours in Dubrovnik at this point,two at the most)
and the directions we got from the man were so unclear, plus I had to get my rental car out of the narrow parking they provided, I chose to go to sleep, frustrated I might add. We were in Dubrovnik only for that night and the next day.
So the next morning we had to print out our boarding passes to fly out of Croatia and because we did not have a printer we kindly asked the owner lady to let us print out the boarding passes (just two pieces of paper) directly from our laptop.
She quickly replied with a negative claiming she did not own a printer which we both (or the three of us if you include her) didn't believe since she had a computer and a stack of papers printed out on a table containing reservations and other info of hers that we could see right in front of us. So she said no and didn't offer any other help or alternatives. I asked her if there was any place where we could go and print out the boarding passes and she gave us some mixed up directions to a place which we looked and looked for but never found. Another hotel helped us. Yes, one nearby in which we did not pay to stay (Learn something Mrs. cheapskate.)
After this we left never to stay there again. Price wasn't bad but would have definitely been better invested elsewhere in a nicer, more friendlier and more centric place. Would not recommend it to a friend (or anyone).
Choose wisely.