“5 Star but really a 3 Star”

Rixos Hotel Libertas
Ranked #12 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 16 May 2011

On an all inclusive package, but at check-in had to supply Credit Card details "for any extras". When ordering anything always asked to sign bills and supply room numbers. The rep assured us that she had spoken to the hotel Manager and that we need not sign, only give our room number, but some waiters etc. would still insist that we signed a bill which was a bit worrying. This resulted in checking with reception every other day that no charges were going against Credit Card and guess what, we found we were getting some charges, but after speaking with reception these were removed. Confusion on what was covered under “all inclusive”, some guest could order a bottle of local wine at meal times, and others were told they could have only a glass, by different waiters. As stated in a previous review there were some guests who never seemed to be asked or sign for anything they ordered.
Areas around pool in a state of disrepair exposed electric wiring for o/s lighting not sure if alive, wooden decking tiles had been laid around pool and sun bathing areas and quite a few guests got wooden splinters in their feet. Facilities not fully available at pool area, no food available from Snack Bar until half way through the holiday, no printed menu available when it was open and then there were no tables or chairs erected on which to eat the food. Kiddie’s pool area was a building site, no water in pool and broken floor tiles surrounding it
Cloth seating in lobby and restaurant areas looked dirty and worn, need either a good clean or replaced completely. Disappointed with food, little variance and a bit bland, defiantly not what you expect from a claimed 5 star Hotel catering.
During our stay, there were a number of corporate functions using the Hotel’s conference facilities, their catering arrangements clashed with guest meal times and resulted guests waiting for food sources to be replaced by the kitchen staff, waiters and bar staff also seemed to been told to give priority to attendees over paying guest. During one of these corporate functions I had ordered a drink with a waiter, waited over 20 minutes still no drink, went to bar spoke to the waiter, who apologised, but he had been told by Bar Manager to serve function attendees who had grouped on mass around the bar area. Barman eventually took my order and placed drinks on the Bar, I retrieved these and proceeded back to my table, on the way I was blocked by the Bar Manager, who gestured to a waiter that he must carry the drinks and not me. Explaining I had been waiting, the Bar Manager in my opinion responded in a very smarmy manner, that the Hotel policy was that all guest had to be served by the waiters and that corporate functions were “more financially important to the Hotel”, so I must accept that there would be delays during these events, I apologised saying I didn’t notice that was stated in the Brochure when I booked my holiday. Having said that the staff at this Hotel were excellent always polite and helpful, but must question management.

Paid extra for a Superior Room with Sea view, first impression excellent laid out room, with unique glass walled Bathroom. But after day one, woken at 7.0am by workmen working on exterior of Hotel next to our room, offered an alternative room, after been told this was the only one, which was smaller in size, had a very badly stained carpet, broken tiles and smaller balcony. Moved to this room, as there was no other choice, but spoke to rep and said I would be complaining when I returned to UK. The Rep was very sympathetic and offered to speak to the management, to resolve issue, next day we moved to an excellent larger room, which we felt reflected the extra payment for a Superior Room with Sea view.
Lovely location, but overall the holiday at the price we paid, for what we thought would be a 5 Star Hotel was disappointing. This Hotel may have warranted its 5 Star rating when it first opened, but general house care has left some areas in need of some very much needed maintenance and reinvestment, which needs to be reflected in its Star rating, definitely a 3 Star in its current state.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
RixosHotelsUK, Public Relations Manager at Rixos Hotel Libertas, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2011

Thank you for your review and for your constructive suggestions. It is our company policy to ask for the credit card at check-in and I apologize if this has caused any inconvenience. Signature and room number is also required for orders - I am glad that you have not been charged as of course most of the orders should be included in our concept. This should have been explained to you properly and I will speak to our staff about this. We should work on clarifying what includes the 'all inclusive' concept and usually our staff knows about this in detail. I also assure you that we do not make any distinction between our guests and they are all treated equally - otherwise this would violate our company policy. I am very sorry you felt that some guest were treated differently but we do not make any distinction. I will speak to the management to find our why this has been perceived otherwise. All facilities are in perfect condition now however we had some repairs by the pool area in May as it was very early in the season. We should have informed you prior to your trip.
In regards to the corporate groups - It is again against our company policy to give priority to any groups or guests so I apologise you waited a long time for you order.

I am glad to hear that you liked our staff who were excellent, always polite and helpful. It makes us very proud to hear such words.

We will work on all the areas you have addressed and I hope we can welcome you again soon at Rixos Libertas. I am thanking you for your help to improve our service and quality.

There are newer reviews for Rixos Hotel Libertas

Reviewed 9 May 2011

hmm...on the outside the hotel looks great... first impression of room was great as well..very trendy and minimilist...too minimilist...hardly any hanging space or drawers so consequently things have to be strewn all over the place making the room look a mess and having to leave personal items out on show.. couldnt access the safe properly due to the stupid place it had been positioned in the wardrobe.
bathroom was trendy very spacious but a waste of space..more space devoted to wardrobe and drawers would have been more practical.. feel sorry for anyone there for 2 weeks as storage is very limited..we struggled and we there for one
not happy with the way the man stocking up he mini bar just walked into our room without even knocking..very unprofessional and rude ! so be warned
our bedding was not changed once in a week..not acceptable and the maids did tend to move your stuff a lot ..few occasions we had to look for things that the had moved
breakfast was very good plenty of choice and nice fresh food but tables never set with everything you needed but no biggie just got what we wanted off another table
the hotel has no atmosphere and has a hostile feel too it..lots of bouncer type men in dark suits and sunglasses strutting about all over the place....and there is a feelin the staff are all on edge all the time..makes it uncomfortable
We hadnt ironed anything as with it being 5 star expected ironing facilities in the room but no....and they didnt provide one either ..only option you had was to pay to send your clothes to laundry.... again not on..and what a rip off
what really riled us was being pulled up by the monkey man of a security guard as we had a large bottle of water that we had bought from the supermarket and he said it wasnt allowed, we had to buy the water from the bar ...yeah right.. at a cost of £5 a bottle as i have to drink quite a lot of water that would have cost us a fortune, so we managed to "smuggle" it in...can undertand not being able to bring alcohol in ..but water !!! again a rip off and not necessary
Everything in the hotel is very over priced and you do feel ripped off..but we had gone to dubrovnik.. not to spend time in the hotel bar so consequently we never used the bar but for people who never bother to venture out then you will get stung big time
walk to dubrovnik about 20 mins ..we ate out every night in the town..it was magical and one of the best towns we have been too..very interesting and yeah its not cheap however you get the lovely views and atmosphere and people watching is great so worth it....hardly any kids chavs or the brits abroad gang just a really cool chilled place highly recommend the buza bar..south side built into the rocks facing lokrum island only serve bottled drinks as bar has no running water but chilled and relaxing
cavtat is a lovely place to go for day..nice boat trip nice sea front restaurants and bars
dat trip to montenegro was great scenic and interesting..budva amazing resort
cable car at back of old town is a must in dub....stunnning views and the musuem in the old fort is quite moving with lots of archived footage about the way the old town was bombed without any warning
recommend restaurant called poklisar donw by where the boats leave and..one to avoid is collisieum ..near the market place
lapad half an hour walk... and worth it for the fantastic sunset and nice restaurants by the sea
back to the hotel..loved the view from our balcony it was stunning and the 2 sun beds was a nice touch
never heard any noise at night at all very quiet..beds very comfy
woudnt stay here again on principle as I do feel they are out to rip you off and the reception staff not very pleasant and had a cant be bothered attitude..however the girls on guest relations much more helpful
great location....20 min walk todub.and 30 min walk into lapad so have best of both
wish they would ditch those miserable stern mafia type security guards....not necessary when you are holiday..was like having bouncers on the doors

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kingfisher100

First of all thank you very much for your review and for helping us to improve our hotel: We kept our interior very minimalistic but there should be enough space provided in the wardrobe for longer vacations. I am sorry you felt it was a bit small.
Our staff obviously have to knock loud and clear before entering to our guests rooms and i apologize if that was not the case and you felt our staff was rude. We pride ourselves with warm and heartfelt hospitality and there is no place for rudeness at Rixos Libertas. According to our company policy bedding has to be changed daily so I am confused how this has not been done.
I am very sorry you didnt enjoy our atmosphere whereby this is sth we really emphasize and pride ourselves on. Please understand that we can not select our guests according their looks but it is sad to hear you felt disturbed by the other guests. We usually have a very nice and enjoyable crowd in our hotel.
Regarding the iron facilities as we are a 5* hotel we do not provide this but I will suggest this point to the management in order to improve the experience.
Regarding bringin food and water into the hotel from outside this is not a problem and no security should stop our guests from doing so. I deeply apologize on behalf of our security staff - however Rixos Libertas is an all inclusive hotel and water as well as food should be included in the all inclusive concept. Our staff should have explained this to you in more detail to avoid any confusion about this. I do hope you come back again and thank you for taking the time to help up improve. Kindest Regards

Reviewed 7 May 2011

It was ok! It's a bit in the middle of nowhere - half way between the Old Town and Lapad, so walking or buses is the way to go. (Avoid taxis, which are hideously expensive) Great sea-front location though, and away from any main roads, with stunning sea views from the public areas and I guess most rooms. I can't see how there are any rooms that don't have a sea view, so I'm beginning to think that the option to upgrade to a SV might be a bit of a swizz. (I could be entirely wrong on this point).

The facilities on the whole are good - though we were there at the end of the 'low' season, so not all were open. The inside and outside pools were both available, but no bar facilities open for either. Often had to go on a search for towels as well. No information in bedrooms about what the hotel has to offer, so it's a matter of just going to look. Don't know if they did room service - no menu etc. No list of tv channels either. The rooms with a balcony have sun-loungers, which is a nice touch - a bit more sheltered than the main public area. (But worth popping down to grab a couple of beach-towels to do so). There's a spa - but again no info in the room, to advertise treatments / facilities. The decor is completely plain, with neutral colours and no decoration in the public areas, which makes it all a bit character-less.

Check-in staff were ok, the porter was more informative and took time to point a few things out on our way to the room. Breakfast/waiting staff were not great - quite cold, surly and not particularly attentive, especially after having to ask for tea / cutlery / crockery / serviettes / milk etc, twice or even three times, before getting it. (The breakfast itself was very good, with a fabulous variety of foods to set you up for the day). Guest Relations staff were helpful and friendly.

A few points that baffled / irked us:
- The hotel has a policy that means you can't request an iron for your room. (I hadn't ironed anything before packing...) They have an ironing service though, but at five-star prices. You could of course pack your own travel iron, or indeed go and buy one from a supermarket... their policy doesn't prohibit you from doing that! I didn't do either, I just looked a bit scruffy!
- The electronic safe (no instructions - but not rocket science) is fixed to the side of the wardrobe which - owing to the design of the wardrobe doors, means that you have to have your actual bedroom door open, to be able to fully open the wardrobe door and then open the safe wide enough to place anything inside. I commented about this at reception and was told that it was arranged in such a way because that was the concept. :-)
- Minibar replenishment occurs at anytime before 9am. Yes, quite! A man just knocks and enters without giving you any chance to open the door yourself, which was most annoying.
- If you choose not to use the minibar, but use the glasses anyway - perhaps you have your own water (which you're also not supposed to bring into the hotel), then unless you let the aforementioned mini-bar replenishment guy in at the crack of dawn, the glasses will not be cleaned/replaced by room service staff, who come a bit later on (when you're not there!)
-The bathroom design is a strange one, that doesn't lend itself to complete privacy. There are blinds that you can pull down to reduce the chance of seeing your room-mate showering in the buff, but only if you keep the bathroom lights off! The blind is not completely opaque (concept is to allow you to look at the sea whilst showering...) and with the mirrors in the bathroom, one can see one's room-mate in the shower, if for example you happen to look up on your way to the wardrobe area. The loo does have a door on (phew), but not one that shuts tight - it's a glass one that you just pull to.
- Hotel televisions normally have a limit on the volume. They're not set at the Rixos. We were woken each morning to the completely clear sound of whatver our neighbours were watching (must have been hard of hearing for it to be so loud), but can't blame the hotel guests completely because the walls were so thin, we could also hear them doing their morning ablutions! Not pleasant!
- An offensive smell of drains or something, at the main entrance / lobby area.
- Small bath-towels, no tissues, dodgy plug sockets were all other niggles about the room.

It wasn't so bad that we didn't enjoy the stay - it was perfectly comfortable and was an ok location for us. For me it doesn't compare to other five-star hotels I've stayed in (although it was reasonably priced). I would probably say it's more of a low four-star and if I ever return to Dubrovnik (which is LOVELY), then I'd probably stay else-where.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Great location, great room, great weather, what else do you need?

Room Tip: bellman are a fount of knowledge
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mdefty
Reviewed 1 April 2011

I would definitely return to this lovely hotel if only for the amazing breakfast spread and the spa both of which are included in the price. The room was beautifully decorated as well though we made quite a mess in the bathroom trying to figure out the shower situation. It was lovely though and I would recommend it. The staff were professional and quite helpful indeed.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whereshegoes
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Hotel had a stunning view from our balcony looking towards Dubrovnik.When booking make sure you have a sea view all room do not even the more expensive ones.The breakfast was second to none very comfortable plenty of room.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2011

The view of the room is great and I am sure it would be more fun to be here in summer. you can sunbath in your private balcony and enjoying the seaview at the same time. with chic and minimalism decor, the room looks spacious. shower is nice but the floor of the bathroom in our room was not 5-star built. ( a pity ) .
if you don't mind walking, it only takes 15 minutes to the old town with an excellent bay-view while walking.
breakfast is delicious and the chefs are friendly however the waitress are slow and sometime seems a little cold, however that won't bother you to enjoy your breakfast.
if next time we will come to Dubrovnik again, I think we will choose to stay in Rixos again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple