“Nice, not excellent, but nice.”

Rixos Hotel Libertas
Ranked #13 of 67 Hotels in Dubrovnik
London, United Kingdom
“Nice, not excellent, but nice.”
Reviewed 24 April 2013

This hotel is in need of a bit of TLC. The walls have marks, cracks and paper starting to fall off. there are screens 'missing' in the lifts. The pool walls are peeling from the moisture, and the ventatlation there is grossly underestimated - perpetuial condesnation on ceiling and windows (am surprised there's not a more serious case of mould). The spa is basic and not as luxurious as one might expect - still, it's nice, and does the job. THough the water in both pool and spa was under heated at the time due to a heating issue. Food in breakfast was just about ok. A little bit cheap B&B style considering this is meant to be a 4/5 star hotel.

The overall design of the hotel seems to date from the late 70's. I actually felt like I was Jack nicholson in the shining for alot of the stay! It's a 'big' interior design - and the fact it was low season and pretty empty just extenuated that effect.

In winter the outside area is inaccessible (for repairs as well as protection against some stormy weather - but this was no surprise). the walk down to the old town is at the limit of comfortable for a young to middle aged person. Over 50s might appreciate either a car or closer hotel, but anyone under 50 would not struggle with a brisk 15-20minute walk into town (it's a very simple route - just follow the road round the coast) and it's quite pretty to walk as well.

The staff are fine, cleaning staff better than average. It seem from experience that as a nation women are very chatty and approachable, different to most men who are usually quite big and often (while not unfriendly) often very stern and robust in their deminour. I put this down to the aftereffects of the conflict and maybe guys just needed to 'appear' stronger and the facade has not yet relaxed. Either way, nobody is hostile, or unfriendly and it seems they welcome holidaymakers spending money!

Oh, point to note: make sure that the hotel register you prooperly! (all parties in the group) as when I left, I was stopped at the border because the Hotel hadn't recorded me properly in their books - not serious for me, but held me up while they checked it 1,000 fold, and the hotel got in to trouble about it.

Room Tip: Try and get rooms away from other people. Walls are thin, and if you have noisey neighbours, then yo...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matchin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hayle
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We were impressed by the view and location of this hotel. The staff were very attentive and helpful. We were only on a bed and breakfast board but the breakfast was excellent and there was nothing you didn't have. My only moan was that we had ants in our room, but we were there only 3 days so even though we did complain we didn't make a big deal about it. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 22 April 2013

The view is unbelievable. Very well located. Easy acess to and from the hotel to the old city and main highways. The issue is yhe cleanliness of the rooms. The towels are sheets were not as clean as they suposed to be. You can afford that in a 4 star hotel, but not in a 5 star. The food at the restaurants was overpriced, very good, but overpriced. Usd80 for a couple of sandwiches, 2 glasses of wine and a dessert, tip included.

• Stayed April 2013
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

The number one thing I would say about this hotel is that you should without a doubt spring for a balcony/sea view room. The view is incredible and extremely relaxing. I spent a couple of nights here with my husband on our honeymoon and we really enjoyed it. It was so relaxing to sit out on our balcony and look out into the Adriatic... There are also places on the hotel grounds where you can climb down to swim in the sea. And you have a great view of the old town as well.

Some people don't like the glass wall separating the bath from the bedroom, but I think it's a unique touch. And it's not like the toilet is out in the open or anything.

Lastly, I really liked the staff at this hotel. They were always very eager to help with whatever we needed, whether it was helping us carry our bags or arranging a cab to the old town (i think all hotels claim to be in "walking distance" but none really are-- luckily cabs are everywhere and not too expensive.)

If I should be so lucky as to visit Dubrovnik again, I would have no problem returning to rixos. And I wouldn't mind checking out some of their other properties worldwide as well.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank KMJ315
Dubrovnik
Reviewed 13 April 2013

We haven´t got glasses for two days and we haven`t got any internet connection with iPhone in our room.
Otherwise the room was good and breakfast was excellent.

You should have more information about the hairdressers and about masseur in the hotell and where they are. There was no information in the room.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Risto H
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 April 2013

This hotel looked good on the internet before our stay. We stayed for 3 nights and were assigned a room near the bottom of the building, without much of a view. Photo attached to show how poor the view was from our room. This was disappointing.

The indoor swimming pool is too small to be useful for anything other than a dip. The outdoor pool was okay, but there were so many people merely standing around in the pool, that it was not possible to have a proper swim.

Location is a bit far from town (walking in the summer heat).

Included breakfast was good with some seats in the dining room providing a nice view of the sea. No Wi-Fi in the room but free Wi-Fi available in the lobby and restaurant.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PlanetOz
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We stayed at the Rixos Hotel Libertas for a quick 4 night sojourn for the partner's ending-in-zero birthday.

Good bits first: the staff were excellent, particularly the front-of-house staff who seemingly could not do enough for us. Welcoming, friendly and efficient, they were a model for staff in other hotels.

Our room was also quite nice - located on the 9th floor, it had delightful sea views. It was larger than one would expect from such a large hotel, and furnished with a modern eye. I have no complaints about the decor of the room or indeed of the hotel itself. The room was very clean.

The location if the hotel is good - it is an easy 20 minute walk to the Old Town, or there is a bus 5 minutes walk away if you're feeling lazy and/or it is raining.

So-so bits second: no WiFi is available in the bedrooms, you have to go to the lobby to use the (admittedly fast and free) WiFi internet. A wired internet connection was available in the bedroom, but modern devices don't support wired connections. The toiletries (and I will admit I am being a bit high maintenance here) were refills, which was, frankly, a bit dowdy, and let the room down.

The bad bits: we were there in March, and I have seen cemeteries with more life to them. The hotel complex is huge, and had I realised when booking that the hotel was so large, I would have booked elsewhere. It was so dead it was spooky, with lights left off and shops within the hotel complex left completely shut. If, during our stay, the hotel was more than 25% occupied, I would be surprised. Most of the hotel facilities were closed for the season - so no pool, no spa, and there was no choice in restaurants or bars, with only one of each being open for the whole hotel.

Here is the quandary in my review: would I recommend the Rixos? No - because it was so completely dead off-season, and because I think it would be too large with far too many guests competing for services and facilities during the summer.

But did I personally have a bad stay? No, I have to admit our stay was good. Make of my review, what you will, then.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea-view room. Worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple