“Expensive concrete box”

Rixos Hotel Libertas
Ranked #12 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

Good points
Location - in a quiet bay about 1 mile from the old town. Right on the sea front where you can swim.
Sun Loungers are very comfortable, but not many we're in the shade so it was pot luck to get one.

Bad points
Difficult to get service in restaurant. Had to ask 3 times for a top up of coffee for breakfast.
Booked a room service breakfast for an early check out. It never turned up.
Booked a taxi and they forgot to order it.
Expensive - £15 for a sandwich, £8 for a gin and tonic
Internet access costs £40 a day.

Aircon in the rooms didn't work very well.

As with all Croatian hotels no tea and coffee in the rooms.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank gazzeruk
Ena Z, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Hotel Libertas, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I would kindly ask to send on my mail, ena.zvizdic@rixos.com, informations about your stay, so we can fully investigate this issues. Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,007)

Reviewed 18 June 2013

I stayed with parents who were visiting the Balkans for first time. Originally we meant to stay for 3 nights but before we arrived at the hotel I received notice that I had to return 1 day early. Immediately upon arrival I brought it to the attention of the receptionist who checked us in (which also took about 15 minutes). She stated that as the reservation was made booking.com I should first try amend it with them & then come back to her. I attempted this but this was not possible as it would have cancelled the whole reservation. She then told me that as it was Friday evening I would have to wait until Monday morning until the manager was present but her exact words were ''we want you as a return customer so I wouldn't see a problem". Different receptionist & different attitude on Monday morning. The female I spoke with was so indifferent to my problem & said it was not possible to check out without paying the full amount for the 2 rooms. I explained what I had been told & her attitude was thought, I'm telling you different. I asked to speak with a manager & she was seriously annoyed about this but I insisted & after about a 10 minute wait they both returned from his office. After explaining my issue for the 3rd occasion he stated that they would loose their commission on the rooms if we didn't stay. I suggested I would pay the commission but I had no alternative but to leave & I would be extremely disappointed if we had to pay full price. He told me to come back in a half hour & he would see. I returned to the narky & rude receptionist who told me I was very lucky to be getting off without paying the full amount & only the commission, to say I had to bite my tongue was an understatement. She definitely needs a serious course in customer service skills. Apart from that the hotel was nice, if quite expensive for both food & drink. The rooms were very comfortable but the spa was only half working & we were told the problem with the Jacuzzi wouldn’t be fixed until after the weekend. About a 20 minute walk into the Old town.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Ena Z, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Hotel Libertas, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear guest,
thank you for sharing your experience with us. We want to apologize about this inconvenience. Our manager spoke with the reception staff about this issue. Otherwise, Booking.com has its cancelation policy that we need to respect.
Please, accept our apologies for any bad experience you had in our hotel. Kind regards.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I am going to start off by saying this hotel is really pretty, in a great location (in between the old town and Lapad - two tourist areas) and has good facilities. Upon checkin, the staff were really friendly and were able to offer our rooms before the standard 2pm check in. In fact we got our room at 9am. The guest relations were very helpful too. The Spa Family room is amazing. Definitely recommend using this.

As with anything, here are the things to watch out for:
- WIFI is not very good in the hotel. We rarely were able to connect in our rooms
- As soon as you check out, you lose your WIFI connection
- When hiring a car, read all the small print. We got back pretty late on the day we hired and were not sure where to leave our keys. There was no one at reception so we returned the keys the following morning incurring a late return charge. Lucky we managed to negotiate this down.
- The guest relations are helpful to the point of what they know however we took a trip to Split and Hvar off our own backs and the timings of the ferries etc they gave us were wrong as well as the durations of the ferry journeys. I would expect a bit more if im honest.
- Rooms: wardrobe is tiny. And you can see into the bathroom. Privacy is non existant basically. Bit awkward when your sharing with somone that is not your partner.
- Breakfast - takes a few asks to get what you need. Cutlery not set on the table. worried that the omelettes were not being cooked enough.
- Spa - the steam wasnt working; they have what is called a hot and cold pool. Both were actualy at the same temperature. The spa staff did not seem to want to fix either of these for us either.
But as mentioned earlier, i did actually like the spa as a whole other than these two things.
- Toiettries in your bathroom - the bottles were a bit dirty, i think this is due to the velvet container they are kept in your bathroom. Made me reluctant to use to be honest.

The title of my review really reflects my experience. Everything starts off good but as you approach the end of the services you use, the quality seems to deteriorate.

Would recommend the hotel none the less.

Room Tip: Sea view balcony for sure
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Ena Z, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Hotel Libertas, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Dear Guests,
Thank you for your feedbacks. As Rixos Libertas Dubrovnik team we have done a lot of works, trainings and changes in our hotel. Our mission is to succeed our guest expectation. We have just install wi-fi for the rooms to be able to give you better service. Unfortunately your stay was the first week of installation and we had some issue as you have faced. We have solved a problem for the wi-fi connection at this moment.
Guest Relation department is under mine responsibility and I’m really sorry to hear that my girls pass you some information. We are generally using official portal of Tourist board to give you information. As I see first time there was misunderstanding and I will check in details that my department is giving correct informations to our guests.
All other points of SPA, toiettries, and breakfast are deeply noted and we already have done corrected action.
I hope you will choose one of the Rixos hotels, or Rixos Libertas one more time that we can really show what we have done. Best regards.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

I stayed at 8-11 June 2013 (3 night)
It's fantastic hotel. All room have facing sea, very great view! The lobby is amazing atmosphere, they have a huge lobby with nice cafe, reading room, fantastic view, a nice sofa.

The swimming pool is great. They have indoor and outdoor pool. The water in Indoor pool is more warmer. But in outdoor pool you can feel the different atmosphere, because so near to the sea.

Azure cafe is in lobby, and have amazing view. You can see the sea, it's very enjoy to relax there.
Breakfast and dinner in Mozaik restaurant so nice, once again they have the view to sea. The Quality's food is good, with a lot sea food. Like it!

The important thing to prepare are:
1).I think all the staff need more Smile, Welcome, and friendly to the guess. Smile is so easy thing to do.
2). The wifi is complicated for first time check-in. Please make simple!
And the staff need more communicative to us, how to login for first time and the next after.
3) Respon time must be prepare.
4) cleaning department (especially for make up the room) need more attention to evaluate their staff. I have bad experience about that, because the cleaning staff didn't prepare we'll my bed.

Very appreciate to General Manager who care with guess's complain. When I emailed my complain, He send the letter to meet with him. Thank you for that.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank arnoldusIndonesia
Ena Z, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Hotel Libertas, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I would like to inform you what we have done after you send me your feedbacks. First of all we have put all instructions in the rooms for wi-fi so our guests can log in easily. As you might see on Trip Advisor, our strongest side is staff courtesy. However your feedback and trainings has been forwarded to all staff for extra attention.
Our Housekeeping department has been divided into three parts: rooms, laundry and public area which we are having better results and feedbacks already.
After all when I read your comments I fell our rating deserves more that two stars.
We are looking forward to hosting you again to be able to reach your expectations. Best regards

Reviewed 14 June 2013

We loved Croatia, Dubrovnik and all the people and hotel staff we met. We also visited Montenegro, Bosnia, Korcula and the Elaphiti Islands while there which were all worth the bus/boat trips. This is beautiful area to visit for anyone to explore.

The hotel staff were all very good and friendly and the hotel management supplied a surprise birthday cake for my wife which was very kind and we were very grateful. The hotel notably had the best quality free sun loungers we have ever come across anywhere.

However we were slightly disappointed on the hotel location and design itself. It was further than we expected from the old town as it is a 15-20 min walk up and down hilly ground with it being worst when walking back to the hotel in hot weather. I had thought it to be only a few minutes from the old town but if you try to walk it once or worse twice per day it is a tiresome walk. There is a local bus service which we did not use but we did take 3 or 4 taxis as our teenage son hated the walking back and forth. Local taxis charge 40-60 Kuna (5-7 UK pounds) each way depending on where you get dropped off in town or picked up which is not cheap when you thought you were very close to the old town.

We did not like the bathroom design with glass walls and see through blinds which lacked all privacy when 3 sharing a room. There is no door on the bathroom either but there is an opaque glass door on the toilet cubicle.I would not recommend the rooms for sharing with childen or friends in twin beds ie only for couples really due to the bathroom design.

The air con did not operate very well as seemed to be set to a high temperature at the low end by the hotel. This is a mistake by the hotel to save money as see what happened below.

We were bothered each night by mosquitos causing 2 bites each person per night as we had to leave the balcony window open due to the poor air con which also blasted the air directly over our son's sofa bed when we tried to use it to start with.

The TV channels did not match the room guide card and seemed to change occasionally from the night before which was unusual.

The hotel roof design is very odd with an overhanging steel frame on the sea-side which does not seem to do any function and is rusting due to the sea air through the paintwork if you look closely even though the hotel is quite new. There seemed to be rust patches on the floor in front of the 11th floor balconies when you look down from the glass staircase from above.

We thought that the hot breakfast area was inadequately manned with only one over-worked woman allocated to make omeletes even if there was a 6-8 person queue. I gave up on the first day after waiting 10 mins as the queue had not changed in front of me. The sausages looked like the poor quality hot dog type (red meat) and the bacon was very streaky ie also poor quality. I gave up eating hot breakfasts after the first day and normally it is what I would go for every day in every hotel I stay in. Almost every day the milk urn for cereals was empty or near empty as was an item never checked by hotel staff as to how low it had got. The food/milk stocks at the breakfast areas are not checked enough especially after 10:00 when the staff start to wind down from their breakfast duties at the 10:30 close.

We liked all the nice hotel staff we met but I have to be honest to say I would not choose this particular hotel next time in Dubrovnik which is a truly glorious place to visit as is the whole of southern Croatia. It is an official Croatia 5 star which I rate only as UK/USA 4 star having stayed in many of this standard.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RMT-Scotland
Ena Z, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Hotel Libertas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear Guests,
Thank you for sharing with us your review. I would like to present you all works that we have done after your feedback.
I would like to mention that Hotel Libertas Rixos has 15-20 min walking distance from the Old town. Near hotel is a bus station. Number 4 goes directly to the Old town, and it runs app. every 20 minutes. Also for the return.
We have changed our A/C system and TV channels have been changed in all rooms.
We have special device for mosquitos, but you need to request it from our Guest Relation Department.
All points of breakfast are noted and we have done corrected action. I hope you will come back again. Best regards.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Having honeymooned in the old Yugoslavia, we returned to the area to celebrate 30 wedded years.
The hotel proved to be the right choice with great views, excellent service, delightful accommodation and plentiful food. As we were on an all inclusive deal in a 5 star hotel, it was good value for money.
The poolside and array of sunbeds (including four posters with roof and screens, if you need the shade) is a great place to lay back, relax and enjoy the stunning views. Poolside restaurant food was excellent as it was freshly prepared and with great service.
Dubrovnik is as good as it looks in the photos and only 15 mins walk away. Trips to Cevtat and Lokrum on the regular ferries from the old port are well worth taking.
The cable car gives fantastic views back over the city and surrounds, albeit pricey. We celebrated our anniversary in the Panorama restaurant next to the upper cable car station, that was booked for us by the hotel. On arrival we were treated like royalty and enjoyed the 'best seats in the house' directly overlooking the city.
Great holiday - we will be returning to Croatia again next year!

Room Tip: Pay the extra to ensure a sea view
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter O
Ena Z, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Hotel Libertas, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Dear Guests,
Thank you for your kind words. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return visit. Best regards.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Great location with a fantastic seaview and only a short walk into the city, which was very special. We had a large quiet room and balcony, with a good shower/bath and a very comfortable bed. Lovely pool area with the most comfortable sunbeds we have experienced. We went All Inclusive which was very good value, as we found Dubrovnik quite expensive. Although the staff were very friendly, some were not too sure what was included in the AI. The breakfast selection was very good as were the lunch meals at the Pool Bar, but we found the dinner selection was a bit repetitive.
We had a great holiday and would certainly recommend to our friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trishy21

Dear Guests,
Thank you for your feedback. I would like to inform you that waiters have got a list of all inclusive so those things will not happen again. We look forward to your future visit! Best regards.