“Great location for the old city but needs some renovation”

Rixos Hotel Libertas
Ranked #13 of 67 Hotels in Dubrovnik
“Great location for the old city but needs some renovation”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This hotel is good to host meetings. It has ample space on the 9th floor with huge meeting rooms. It is situated in an ideal location for the old city (10-15 minutes walk). Rooms are clean and a good size, but I would not class this hotel as a 5-star hotel, more like a 4-star hotel. I was situated on the 2nd floor, but after two days I requested to move to a higher floor as there is bad smell of the drains, and I could not take it much longer. I was given a room on the 8th floor which was much better. Restaurant is good, with ample food in the buffet. Views are amazing. The hotel is built into the cliff, so all rooms have a sea view. There is no beach, but if you walk to the left of the hotel, there is a path that leads to a beach that is close to another hotel. I do not believe that this beach is owned by the hotel. We swam there and no one said anything. Staff are very friendly. Gym/pool/sauna/steam room are good. However I felt that the hotel could do with some renovation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rkaura1969
Ena Z, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Hotel Libertas, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review, especially the part about the friendliness of our staff. As far as the renovation is concerned, TLC is planned later in the year. Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
kent
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights as part of a British Airways city break. It was very good value for money, as it was just before the main tourist season begins.
Garden view room, so sadly no views out over the bay. Bedrooms.. very large and airy,spotlessly clean, ample wardrobe storage for a week end break,with a safe included. The bathroom had a good monsoon shower as well as a full sized bath, underfloor heating, fluffy soft towels and a make up mirror at a sensible height!
Public spaces.... vast. All spotlessly clean, and the outside terrace was comfortable with the most astonishing views out to sea. As it was out of season, the lounges lacked atmosphere.
Bar.... very very good cocktails,,,served with bowls of nuts.
Dining room, only the main one was open, which served both breakfast and dinner. Of the meals, breakfast was very good, loads of choice and an egg counter. The bacon was the usual overcooked steaky type, and the suasages bland. But loads of fruit, pastries, cold hams and olives etc.
Dinner however, was less succesful. Although an ample range, hot food just wasn't hot enough, and lacked any real flavour. Having said that, there was a wide range of different salads,cold fish and meats, and the puds were outstanding. Oddly enough, the waiting staff didn't ask if we wanted wine!

Staff, all lovely, helpful and had a great sense of humour.

For a 3 day break, this was a fantastic hotel, and although not all facilities were available (no external swimming pool), it also meant we had all of Dubrovnik to explore without the crowds. Nice gentle walk into town, with loads of photo opportunities.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,
We thank you very much for your positive comments. We are glad that you thoroughly enjoyed our hotel, especially our breakfast. We are also glad that you enjoyed our magnificent views. Best regards
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Well, as I booked the hotel I did not expect it to be this huge. It is very big and unpersonal. But very beautiful and with helpful staff.

We got an upgrade when we arrived, which was nice.. but the room was in the 1st floor with a view of an uncut lawn and a fence, then the sea. The room was very pretty, but the bathroom had an open solution with only a flappydoor to the toilet (which is not so comfortable when you are suppose to do your business). The bed in this room were very bad, we both woke up with pain in our backs (and we are 20!). We know our neighbour was a German, because the rooms are very bad isolated, so we heard him pretty clear. It was not hard to hear when the cleaning ladies came in the hall either.

The service is very good, fantastic cleaning!

The pool and spa section now. The wellness senter where you wandered around on your own, smelled awful. But the facilities were good! Same with the spa treatments, good and relaxing. Ok prices!
- The outdoor pool was not filled at our stay, and there were no service outside or bars as promised in the advertisements. They were obviously upgrading the outdoor area, but I think we should've been noticed so we knew what we came to.
- And where is the beach? Washed away many years ago. So no beach. Very dissapointed. The signs are still up, and the commercial for it.. but there is no beach.

We tried the buffé in the hotel (dinner) and payed 200 kuna each + drinks. We were very dissapointed. No good food, poor choises.. just a bad experience next to the expectations.

Again the staff was very helpful and kind. We had a very nice stay otherwise, but I don't think Rixos are the hotelchain for me/us. It was all a bit overdid.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linn Mari Molvi... N
Ena Z, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Hotel Libertas, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I would like to inform you that our beach is working from the 1st of May every year, depending of the weather conditions and it is written on our pages. Due to the open sea beach, we could not make it before that period as weather conditions was not allowing.
All your comments are forwarded to related departments.
I hope you will choose one of the Rixos hotels in the nearest future. Kind regards
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Had a wonderful 3 night stay in this hotel & from what I experienced I found it hard to fault. The staff were friendly & courteous & also very helpful. The breakfast was super & I slept like a baby every night. There was very little noise from surrounding rooms or corridors, the rainfall shower was unexpected & the view from the balcony was a delight. The facilities were not all available but this was understandable as the season starts next month & the staff were getting everything ready.
We didn't eat in the hotel (apart from breakfast) as we had read this was quite expensive & not too good so cannot really comment.
Would most certainly recommend it. A view from your room is guaranteed unlike other hotels in the area & the cost difference is minimal
Overall worth the indulgence!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul936
Dear Guest,
Thank you most kindly for your positive comments. We are glad that we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you in the nearest future. Kind regards
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed in Rixos for four days recently. The view is fantastic, rooms are clean and comfortable, staff nice and friendly.
I had a problem with heating, in fact I felt cold during the night, swiched the heating on, but it was only cold air blowing from the ventilation grid. Actually, as they told me at the reception desk, they do not heat rooms at all (which was rather strange to me since it was only late March.) at that part of year. Since I don't like to feel cold (especially in a 5 star hotel for which I consider such way of cutting costs inappropriate) i asked of some kind of heating, which they solved rather quickly by installing electric heater in my room.
Food, more or less good, Turkish/oriental sweets excellent. However, orange juice offered was NOT 100% from squeezed oranges. It was some yellowish liquid that only tastes similar. Selection of salami, cheeses and sausagges should be far better in a 5 star hotel.
Another thing that i didn't like at all: bottled water served in a restaurant was 30 kunas per 0,75 l bottle. That makes 1 liter of water 40 kunas (=more than 5 Euro). Just for comparison, in nearby shops the same bottled water (same brend) costs 5 kunas a liter. So in this hotel they charge you 8 TIMES(=700%) more for the same plain water.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Montypython2000
Dear Guest,
Thank you for leaving your comment. I’m sorry to hear that you had a problem with heating. We provide heating during the winter time as we provide cooling during the summer time. Maybe there was a technical issue in your room so I will take opportunity to apologize for inconvenience caused.
I hope to see you again in our hotel. Kind regards
San Diego, California
Reviewed 3 April 2014

PROS:
- The hotel is nested in a rock sitting on top of a beautiful cove 1 mile from the Old Town Dubrovnik. Almost all rooms have great spacious balconies that make you want do nothing else but lie there all day.
- The service in this hotel is absolutely amazing. The entire staff is smiley, efficient and polite. I liked the way the room maid called directly the handymen to fix my bathroom - no escalations or trouble tickets. He was in my room in 3 minutes. The staff in the restaurant somehow knew my room number and never asked for it. When my parents joined us the third day into my stay, they got a room next to ours, without asking for it. Absolutely fantastic.
- No service charge for in-room dining: you pay the same price as in the restaurant.

Aside from the setup and service, the hotel is a plain 3-star experience:
CONS:
- The food in the hotel restaurant is sub-par: the open buffet is simple and uninspiring. There are several 4-star hotels in the area with much better food. For dinner, tap water is not available, you mast pay $6 for a bottle of water.
- The hotel lacks some facilites and services expected from a 5-star hotel: no shuttle to/from airport or Old Town, no sports facilites other than the gym (no tennis courts, no running trails)
- Many existing facilites are shut down or broken outside the main season (even though they are prominently shown on the hotel's website) : no AC in the rooms, outdoor pool is closed, lounge chairs umbrellas on the restaurant terrace are not available, no lighting on the room blacony.
- The wireless internet is free but gets congested in the evening to the point where it is unusable
- The bed mattresses are too springy and uncomfortable
- The noise in the room coming from the corridors is loud
- The bathroom in my room had no privacy: there was a transprent curtain between the bathroom and the sleeping quarters.

If this had been a 4-star hotel I would have given it a 4-star review. For a 5-star hotel, it is average. I will remember the beautiful setup and have taken great pictures, but next time I would probably explore other options.

Room Tip: Rooms with the sea view are the main reason to stay here. Stay away from main corridors due to noise...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank axc4466
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. It is nice to hear that our staff made your holiday a memorable experience.
All your comments have been taken on the board. We hope that we will host you in one of our hotels in the nearest future. Kind regards
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 30 March 2014

All Staffs are very friendly. Especially, Front Desk, Buffet Restaurant and Bar staffs. A wide room balcony enough to enjoy a breeze and suntan. A view from balcony was also fantastic. Two rooms we got were very clean. No doubt that it's a very nice hotel and so I've already recommended this hotel to all of my collegues who plan to visit this city and definitely I'll stay there again on my next trip. Unfortunately, no chance to use other facillities except Bar and Buffet restaurant but quite sure others are also in good order viewing those incl Lobby were in excellent condition.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank JSL1958
Dear Guest,
We thank you for your positive comments and we are glad that you recommended us to one of your colleagues. We welcome you to Rixos family and look forward to serving you in the nearest future. Kind regards