“More 4 than 5 Star”

Rixos Hotel Libertas
Ranked #13 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The building and facilities are good, with an excellent gym and swimming pools. The location is OK but not outstanding. The rooms are good, but our fifth-floor premium room had a weird bathroom design that did not afford absolute privacy from the bedroom. May have been OK for honeymooners, but we found it a little disconcerting. Cleanliness was excellent. Maintenance was a little lacking, in that our washbasin had no plug mechanism, so the basin never filled. Also, one of the balcony loungers had a broken wheel. This is hardly "fine detail" and should have been spotted easily and rectified. We were half-board, finding the (buffet) breakfasts full of choice and variety, but the (buffet) evening meals mostly salad with puke-warm and unappetising "hot" choices. There was plenty of fresh fruit and a good variety of cheeses. The cold food presentation was good, regularly attended and refreshed, whereas the "hot" choices looked as if they had been there for days and - for a 5-star hotel - were really poor.

The sun deck was being worked on throughout our stay and although early in the season, I did not expect to find workmen on the deck throughout the day.

The weather was appalling - 2½ hours of sunshine in 7 days - which, I accept, is not by any means the fault of the hotel or the resort. However, when the weather is poor it does bring home the lack of things to do in such circumstances - another disappointment. WiFi was excellent and fast, but that's not why I go on holiday.

In the main, the staff were good, but there always seemed to be a trainee on reception who took twice as long, with more than one supervisor, slowing everything down to a really embarrassing pace. No-one seemed to care about customer service at this important, first-impression stage.

I believe that to rate this hotel as 5-star is wrong, 4-star is more accurate. I would return if I had no other choice, but I'm sure that there are better 5-star hotels or cheaper 4-star establishments. We are not a demanding couple by any means, but we believe that clients should get what they pay for. In this area, we were disappointed.

Room Tip: We didn't care for the "open style" bathroom, you may not mind.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ena Z, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Hotel Libertas, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment. We welcome your comments and they have been taken on the board especially the buffet experience and the reception trainee issue. Rixos Group accepts trainees from the Dubrovnik Hotel Management School. It is a scheme that encourages young people to gain experience in the industry. We are pleased that you enjoyed our much praised breakfast. We are glad that the cleanliness was spot on.
We would like to inform you that the hotel is scheduled for maintenance in November when the luxury premium concept is to be introduced. We look forward to welcoming you again. Kind regards

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Four of us travelled with Thomson early May.
Hits. Very favourable first impression as you enter into a very large air conditioned lounge area.
Very friendly porters. Very clean rooms, large balconies with excellent sea views. Lots of comfortable places to relax and chill out. Good location. Excellent choice of cold foods at both breakfast and dinner. Loved the pianist.
Misses. Reception very unprofessional. I would like to believe that staff training was the reason. Not enough storage space in the bedrooms. No tea making facilities in room. Not a great choice of hot food at any time and it was never hot! A very limited, expensive and poor selections of wines at dinner.
Compared to the Thomson hotel in Lopad which is supposed to be 4* the Rixos was a palace.
Tip. They will provide a kettle if you ask. Guess where the tea bags are?

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank WinstonPortsmouth
Ena Z, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Hotel Libertas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for leaving your comment. I would like to inform you that all related departments are informed about misses that you mentioned in your review.
I hope that you will come back again in our hotel. Kind regards

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a week from the 11th of May. Having read good reviews and seeing as it was a 5 star we expected so much.

First the positives : the room was fantastic. The beds were extremely comfortable and as others have said the views were amazing. The bathroom was great with a rainfall shower over the bath. It was also kept extremely clean (to the point the cleaner actually removed hair from my hairbrush I had left on the side...not sure if that's commitment or a bit creepy) The hotel is in an excellent location just a 15 minute walk from the old town so away from all the busy tourist areas. The porters at the hotel were also extremely friendly and helpful taking our bags, showing us around the room etc. The staff at the spa were also very friendly and the best we encountered during our stay.

Now for the let downs: firstly the reception staff were terrible. They seemed to think they were a cut above the rest and most times would not greet you, they'd all be standing together on their phones. They were just rude and as that's the first impression of the hotel we we're let down. I had to remind her to take my credit card details, she also left the previous guests confirmation with all personal details on the desk so I could easily have read or taken them. I'm not sure why they looked down their noses and seemed to be as unhelpful as possible.

The food in the evening was also a huge disappointment. The quality was not what I expected of a 5 star establishment. It was lukewarm, mediocre food you would expect in a canteen at school. The staff there were also poor - you don't get taken to a table, one evening we were sat 30 mins and had eaten before I had to ask someone for drinks as no order had been taken. The breakfast was average but again nothing special at all. We only ate at the hotel as it was included in our booking with Thomson but did choose not to eat the last evening. If you go with Thomson do not expect to see much of the rep - I couldn't even tell you what she looked like. So when we had a query about pick up times I was looked at oddly by guest advice girl and directed to a folder on a desk. If you want somewhere for a great experience I can assure you there are probably many more hotels less expensive that would provide this. It was essentially let down by poor, rude staff who didn't seem to want to be there. I expected so much more from this holiday. I wouldn't recommend this hotel because of the poor service - I felt that overshadowed the better aspects of the hotel unfortunately.

1  Thank Jeez96

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your e-mail. Every comment from the guest is valuable to us so we can improve our service.
It is nice to hear that you liked room and that you were satisfied with cleanliness of your room.
I would like to inform you that our Front office Manager is informed about issues that you mentioned. She will take all necessary measures as well as Chef for the food issues.
I hope that you will come back again in our hotel again in the nearest future.
Kind regards

Reviewed 20 May 2014

My Husband and I stayed in this hotel the first week in May 2014 and had a fantastic stay here. We were in a superior room with sea view (they all have sea views) and balcony. It was extremely roomy with a firm and comfy bed. The only thing I would point out about the room is there were no tea and coffee facilities so if you like a culpa take a travel kettle! Free wifi in the room was also a huge bonus.

Views from the balcony were fantastic. The hotel is in a super location, it takes about 15 minutes to walk down hill to the old town where the hustle and bustle commences. It is also 15 mins in a different direction to the harbour (where the cruise ships come in).

Breakfast in the hotel was plentiful with a huge selection to choose from. We also had coffee and desert in the bar a couple of times which I highly recommend.

The pool side indoor and out are fantastic, lots of different places to lounge. Out door pool is a really decent size 25m I would guess, and indoor big enough to swim in.

There are a few restaurants on the door step of this hotel, we loved El Toro which is two minutes walk away, it is simple, casual dress, extremely inexpensive and the food excellent. Next door is the magellan, a little bit dressier, pricier, again food excellent but on the down side the service was super slow. Also highly recommend the newly opened Taj Mahal (a bit further along the same road away from old town) it is next to the Hotel Leros. It is traditional Bosnian food, very very tasty. This was recommend to us by a local and we found this one, but there is also one in the old town too

Only reason I have given this hotel 4 stars is that they rate themselves 5 star and I don't think they are quite up there (4.5 maybe but not 5). Some things are a wee bit rough about the edges which you wouldn't see in a 5 star hotel. In fairness it appeared they were just getting ready for the season starting when we were there so I would guess things will now be in full flow and 'organised'.

Over all we had a really great and comfortable time in the Rixos, oh and the staff were all super friendly and happy (with one breakfast waiter exception - but hey we can't all be happy)

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and it was great, don't think there will be a huge amount of difference...
1  Thank kealagirl
Ena Z, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Hotel Libertas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you had a fantastic stay in our hotel. I would like to inform you that our apartments have tea and coffee making facilities, but on request we provide it to the guests.
I hope that you will come back again and have great and comfortable time with us. Best regards

Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Great staff, location, rooms - everything! 15min walk from old town, nice spa, good restaurants. Also has good wifi, casino, responsive friendly staff. Came here for my honeymoon and was not disappointed - would highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review.
It is great to hear that you spend your honeymoon as you wanted. We are looking forward to host you in the nearest future. Kind regards

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights, the hotel isn't badly located a 10min walk from the City walls/main old town area. The room is modern and the hotel is generally pretty grand/nice, however it is starting to look a little tired in places, needs some TLC to bring it back up to top standard in my view.

Food is average and over priced, go eat at the Italian place 2mins walk away, much cheaper/nicer. They staff are good though, friendly and quick.

The gym isn't too bad, but the spa was disappointing, they didn't have a open/working jacuzzi or such, changing rooms were dated/tired, and the steam room smelt rather odd.

Overall not a bad hotel but probably not worth the money until it gets some TLC. Not sure how it compares vs others for the price, we only stayed here as we stayed at the Rixos in Dubai which was utterly fantastic.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ena Z, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Hotel Libertas, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. Every comment is very important to us so we can improve our service.
I would like to inform you that for this winter we have a plan to renovate our hotel. It will be our pleasure to host you again so you can see what we have done.
Kind regards

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Had a fabulous holiday in Dubrovnick with Thomson holidays, the hotel Rixos litbertas was fantastic, great food, so well presented. Staff were lovely, so helpful always smiling. Room and Hotel spotless. It was brilliantly situated, beautiful views from most aspects of the hotel and not far from the main city. A good bus service passed quite regularly and ran at least till midnight. Would recommend it, definitely returning to this beautiful country.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor, facing the sea, lovely views, didn't overlook anyone, near the lifts b...
1  Thank Gwen L

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I will precede your kind words to a management of hotel, especially to Chef. I hope that you will come back in the nearest future. Kind regards