“Ideal Location”

Apartments Placa Dubrovnik
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Ideal Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights at this apartment. It is in market square so very central to everything in old town. A supermarket directly across the square and ATM machine just next door. While a bit of a climb up the internal stairs to the top apartment we weren't climbing up the steps in the narrow alleys to accommodation. Our host was extremely welcoming and even had a cold beer in the fridge to quench our thirsts. The apartment had all our requirements with a small kitchenette and great air conditioning. The noise out in the square and the bells takes some getting used to but after walking around the walls and swimming we didn't notice it so much the second night. I would recommend Apartments Placa and we would consider staying here again if we ever return to the outstandingly beautiful Dubrovnik.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Korean first
Mossel Bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

My friend and I visited Dubrovnik early July 2013 and spent 3 unforgettable spent days in Placa Apartments. The owner, Tonci, is so polite and accommodating and saw to all our needs, he is a real gentleman. He assisted us to get our luggage up and down the stairs as we are 2 senior ladies. The apartment was spotlessly clean and comfortable. The apartment over looks the square (2 windows) where there is a fresh produce market daily as well as many restaurants. There is also a bakery and supermarket on the square to buy whatever you need.

Dubrovnik is a must to visit when in Croatia, charming Old Town with narrow streets, except the main street which is wide and beautifully paved. No vehicles allowed in the Old Town except for deliveries. Bus from the airport stops at Pile Gate and to walk to Placa Apartment from there is only a 10 minute walk.

I will definitely stay here if I should ever visit Dubrovnik again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Almerie
San Leandro CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

I can't say enough about the Apartments Placa Dubrovnik. First we have never had such a personal welcome before in all of our travels. Tonci Korculanin met us outside the gate (where we were dropped off by our bus from Korcula). He escorted us to the apartments and we couldn't believe the location. Dead center on the Placa in Dubrovnik right by the produce market and above a restaurant that served the best raw oysters (at reasonable prices). We were charmed to meet his wife Renata...and really surprised by the really nice apartment were were booked into. Nice kitchen, good sized bathroom and very nice bedroom. For anyone seriously considering staying inside the walls of Dubrovnik, you will not find accomodations at any price. No I'm not related to Tonci, but I really appreciated his care and hospitality.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Biarritz, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

The owner, Tonci, was so nice! When he arrived, he picked us up at the airport and drove us to the bus station when we left for a very reasonable price. We appreciated the large beers waiting for us in the fridge. Perfect location within city walls. Excellent wifi.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

We (two colleagues on our way to a job meeting), stayed in the apartment for two nights, and were met by Tonci's wife, Renata, who was so lovely and guest friendly. Insisted to carry our luggage all the way to the top floor apartment. OK space for two people. Small kitchen corner, a table, two comfortable single beds and a clean, nice bathroom with lots of towels. An iron and ironing board is also provided, hair dryer, and cold welcoming couple of beers, a bottle of local liqueur (very nice!). The windows could be closed with dark shutters. 30 degrees outside, and nice and cold with the air condition inside the room. Free WiFi.
The evening is a bit noisy with the people in the placa below enjoying dinner and drinks. But the noise is filtered by the shutters and the air condition, so no problems at all. And this is part of the city charm.
You step out from the apartment and everything is convenient right at your doorstep. In one day we had a lovely walk at the City Walls, and can recommend a bath in the sea just outside the walls (walk to the small harbour and follow the waterside further out).

No problem to get in contact with them on telephone or e-mail.
And I will never forget the helpful owner Tonci, because I managed losing my diamond ring in the apartment (and I was on my way to Montenegro when I noticed this). He met me at the Airport some days later on my way back. Tonci was waiting for me early in the morning at the Airport with my ring! I say no more - I cannot praise Tonci and his wife enough !

I would definitely stay here again when I return to Dubrovnik.

Room Tip: We stayed in the top floor apartment. Can recommend this if you have no problems with stairs.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Blaa
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a 14 night, 2 centre visit to Croatia, staying in Dubrovnik for 6 nights and Lopud for 7 nights, before returning to Dubrovnik for 1 last night.

As it was our first visit to this part of Europe, we were keen to soak up as much of Dubrovnik's Old Town atmosphere as possible and booked to stay at Apartments Placa. The process of booking was easy and was done by emailing Tonci, the owner, directly.

On arrival in Croatia, we were met by Tonci, who transferred us to the apartment, for much less than the equivalent taxi would have charged.

The apartments are on one of Dubrovnik's main squares, a 30 second walk from Dubrovnik's main thoroughfare, The Stradun.

The apartments, of which we stayed in 2, are traditionally furnished and are spotlessly clean, with ensuite facilities, kitchenette, with fridge, and dining facilities. The beds in the apartments are amazingly comfortable! Towels are provided, and changed regularly. An iron and ironing board is also provided, as is a welcoming couple of beers, a bottle of grappa and some local sweets.

During our stay we met Tonci's wife, Renata, who was lovely and very helpful in dealing with our queries. We also had the pleasure to meet Renata's mother, who has an apartment on the top floor.

Previous reviewers have suggested that the location of the apartments meant that you were subjected to noise pollution due to the market being set-up in the square and the Cathedral bells being tolled. I can advise that the Cathedral bells can be heard however, no matter where you stay in the Old Town, this would be an issue. With regards to the market, I can advise that it creates no more noise that the general noise you would expect in any city and, even with the windows open, did not create any issues for my wife and I.

These apartments were a brilliant find for my wife and I, and my general feeling is that they should be rated much higher on Tripadvisor. Therefore, if you want a fantastic place to stay in Dubrovnik, get in touch with Tonci, before the word gets out!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MG&SAG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

A comfortable and well equipped apartment in the heart of the old town. Tonci, our host, offered to pick us up from the bus terminal which was very welcome at the end of a long day and having to navigate into the town. Two cold beers waiting in the fridge for us....what a great introduction to Dubrovnik!
The apartment is off one of the main squares in the old town perfect for exploring the streets and lanes. Can be quite noisy night or day with the windows open but we were so tired at the end of the day that we had no problems sleeping.
Restaurants literally at your doorstep and a supermarket on the other side of the square with fresh food market stalls in the square each morning.
Great location, beautiful apartment and generous hosts.

• Stayed June 2013