“I cannot...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Pula
Malmo, Sweden
“I cannot...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

...understand that you could build a hotel and offer guests rooms without air conditioning. It can't be a surprise that it is well above 30 degrees C during the summer. We wherealso surprised buy the promise that the hotel was
surrounded by beaches...These beaches was made out of concrete and not very pleasant.
As one former person mentioned, the furniture in the room, was very old fashioned and stained.The cleaning was, however, very good.
The outdoors pool is not swimable for an adult.

The most positive about the hotel was the friendly and service minded staff at the reception desk who always smiled and always answered your questions and queries. What was surprising though is that the exchange ( of money) service just worked one-way; you could change from Euro to Kuna, but not the other way around...

Will we go back? Definitely when there is AC and the refurbishing is completed.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview or for a room facing the entrance. A "parkview", that stunds promising h...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mats54
Arenaturist, Management at Brioni Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay in Hotel Brioni, Pula. We are happy to hear that you found our staff friendly and service minded. On the other hand, we are sorry that the surroundings and internal decorations were not to your liking. Those being said, please note that we have in plan to provide AC to all the rooms in the nearest future.

We wish you all the best and look forward to see you anytime soon!

Kind Regards,
The Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Slovak first
Opava, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for 9 nights during our summer holiday. We booked family room with the seaside view and were pretty suprised with the large size of the apartment no.215. There were 2 large bedrooms, one of them with bar and fridge. Both rooms have their own balcony with the view on the sea. In the reconstructed bathroom we could find shower/tube in one, toilet and bidet. There was also enough furniture for our wardrobe. Cleaning service worked perfectly every single day. Breakfast and dinner were served in the large restaurant in buffet style with wide choice of food. Every day we could find a fish on the menu and different kind of continental and mediterranean cookery. There was also an outside open terrace where we could eat with the view on the sea. We were satisfied with the Brioni Beach connected to the hotel. That beach itself is made from concrete platforms between the rocks and stone steps with rails for the entry to the sea. Two minutes walk from the hotel is situated Ambrela Beach with small stones cover. There is also pool inside and outside the hotel. Beds around the outside pool are for free, on the beach you have to pay for them. We came for our holiday by car, which we could easily park close to the hotel. There is bus stop of the public transport 5 mintues walk from the hotel, and it takes around 10 minutes to reach Pula historical center with it. Although the Hotel Brioni was built in 1972, it still has its own soul. Someone could find it old fashioned, but the bathrooms, pools and sanitary came under reconstruction, hotel is really very comfortable and spacious. Personel and staff of the hotel were very polite and friendly. I think that the Hotel Brioni has the best location in Verudela than the other hotels and new built facilities. We were really happy with our summer holiday stay in the Hotel Brioni. The wonderful Adriatic Sea is the best in Croatia.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Zbyněk N
Arenaturist, Manager at Brioni Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear guest,

What a delight to read your review! We are very satisfied to get to know you have thoroughly enjoyed our stay with us and especially the food and drinks offer, polite personnel, our hotel's location and our city and region in general. Your review will be among those who help us to keep on making efforts in order to satisfy our clients' needs even if this isn't always the easiest thing to do.

We're awaiting for your next visit and send best regards from Hotel Brioni until then!

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

In a nutshell, the standard of accommodation, the quality of the food served at this Half Board Hotel and the efficiency of the staff were all extremely good. The Hotel Brioni deserves at least three or four stars! The Hotel is located about three miles of the historic port city of Pula and the Brioni is situated in a quiet wooded area, next to the sea. It would appear that the hotel was constructed in 1972 and gives the impression that the place has been transported back to the era of Tito's Yugoslavia. Having said that, it is part of the hotel's charm. Another excellent feature of the hotel was the Half Board food service. The food provided at evening meal time, was one of the best which I have experienced.The rooms are basic, but clean and comfortable. On occasions, I had trouble with the massive key in opening and shutting the room door.

On the negative side, at the Brioni there was no evening entertainment or late night bar available. The Verudella resort, generally speaking, has very little or no night time activities. All the bars and restaurants close at 11pm on the dot. Considering that dinner is served at 7pm, that only leaves two or three hours for drinking, socializing and partying. One or two nights, I spent having evenings out in Pula, which had abit of an atmosphere. What was unusual about my stay in Verudella, was the fact that none of the guests and tourists ever interacted with each other. Maybe, if there was a centre for entertainment in Verudella or a traditional tavern or even a disco, the visitors would become a little bit more sociable
On balance, I found the Croatian people helpful, polite and friendly. For instance, the Pula based Taxi Drivers never overcharged me and kept every above board. As I said, Verudella is a peaceful and relaxed resort, surrounded by nature. Verudella is divided in two, the older part which has forests (ie the Brioni Hotel; area) and the newer part, has trendy shops, apartments and cafes(.the Park Plaza Hotel area). Overall, a much needed relaxing holiday at the Brioni and my first trip to Croatia!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Songun1953
Arenaturist, Manager at Brioni Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for having found the time to write a review about your stay at our Hotel Brioni. We are pleased to get to know our food offer, personnel and the location of our facility satisfied your needs as well as to hear the experience with local people was pleasant.
When it comes to evening entertainment we will use your critic as a basis to improve our service within that field and offer something better for our future guests.
We're looking forward to your next visit within one of our facilities in Pula.

Best regards
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

Stayed here for several nights and it was fine. I had room 116 which is the closest room to the lobby. The noise from the lobby area is loud but I closed the inside door (not to be confused with the outside door) of my room and the noise was dampened adequately. The best thing about room 116 is that I had the internet in my room. I don't believe that is the case in any other room in the hotel. Hence, the noise in the lobby from all the people accessing their internet all over the lobby.

My room initially had 2 single beds and I wanted just 1 bed. The hotel was full so the maid (with approval from the front desk) pushed the two beds together for me and got a larger sheet and several blankets to make a large bed for me. Yes, the rooms are dated, but I like that kind of chic. Decorative bare lightbulbs in the wall and an intercom are as kitschy as they come.

The view of the sea is fantastic and the balcony was great. The shower I had was in a bathtub that required a huge step up to get into and the shower head would not stay up on the rod. The flimsy shower curtain was terrible. I felt completely cramped in the shower. The rest of the bathroom was fine.

The restaurant was fine. The buffet is crowded but the choices are good and the staff is very prompt in filling empty containers. We had a birthday party for a friend that is allergic to gluten and believe it or not, the chef found gluten free cake mix and icing and made a fabulous birthday cake with cream and fruits that was huge. The staff brought it out with fireworks in the cake and it was great, so cudos to the restaurant staff for rising to this unusual request.

I would prefer a hotel closer to Pula, but the Brioni is not that far from downtown. But it is not a walkable distance.

I had a massage in the salon and it was really just average. I don't believe the therapist is really trained in a real therapeutic massage. She rubbed my skin with oil but she didn't really get at my muscles. None of the showers in either the men's or the women's locker rooms worked, so I had to put my clothes back on my oily skin to get back to my room. The salon is very small and I wouldn't recommend using their massage services.

There is a small gift shop in the lobby area open from 8-11am.

Room Tip: Get a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Arenaturist, Management at Brioni Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. We are glad that you enjoyed our gastronomic offer, the balcony and the sea view from the room. On the other note, thank you for all of your kind remarks and suggestions.
We appreciate your feedback and can assure that our team members continually strive to make changes to improve the facilities we offer for our guest's comfort. It is nice of you to let us know how impress you were with the genuine care shown by our associates; they are our greatest asset and saviours when comes to guest satisfaction. We look forward to welcome you anytime soon in our Hotel!

Kind Regards,

Arenaturist Management
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

I'll take example on another review and start with the positive points: the pool and access to the beach from this hotel were great! Unfortunately as we were there for 2 of the worst day of weather in September it really was of no use to us! This being said, it did seem beautiful. The other thing I can mention is that despite all the flaws with the room, it was clean, I must say.
Now for the rest, the first thing that threw us off is that when we checked in we were asked to leave our passports for check-in. What was not clear to us at the time, is that our passports were going to be held as leverage to ensure we would pay for our stay! In all our travels, we had never seen this!!! The person assured us that this was a common practice in Croatia. Just as a side note, it is the only hotel during our 14 day stay that asked us to do this. In order to retrieve our passports we had to pay upfront for the room, which we did. Then there was the room... Our reservation stated we were only 2 but we were placed in a room with 3 beds, which means our already small room, was made considerable smaller! The room smelled musty upon our arrival. As I mentioned, it was clean, it just smelled musty and old. I can live with old decor and antiquated surroundings, but the smell killed me! We luckily only stayed two nights. We made sure we spent as little time in the room as possible and that pretty much helped us enjoy our stay in Pula.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nadesa80
Arenaturist, Manager at Brioni Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Dear Nadesa80,
Thank you for taking the time to write your opinion of the Hotel Brioni on Tripadvisor. We are very sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations.
Please, let us kindly inform you that leaving the passports at the reception on your arrival it is indeed common procedure in Croatian hotels.
We hope you will give us and the city of Pula another opportunity to serve you, in Hotel Brioni or in any other hotel from the Arenaturist portfolio that would better suit your needs.
Kind regards,
The Arenaturist management

Travellers are raving about these Pula hotels

Vilnius, Lithuania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

Our friends has booked this hotel for us, but it was horrible try to stay there, maybe it is cheap if you compare with prices in Croatia, but I wouldn't recommend to stay there. We entered the room and we were a little bit shocked that these kind of the hotels are still existing. Dirty, furniture 15 years old, overall terrible, the only one thing which we liked is the staff friendly and helpful. We went to another hotel for a stay and staff there told us that this hotel was not renovated for 20 years, so you can imagine how it looks not renovated for 20 years, and we found out that this hotel will be renovated this winter, probably. So maybe next year it will look perfect, but not now.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MariusVNO
Arenaturist, Manager at Brioni Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Dear MariusVNO,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback of Hotel Brioni. We are sorry to hear that your stay in Hotel Brioni hasn't been gratifying. We very much appreciate your inputs and would like to underline how useful your comments are.
We would like to apologize for those services that did not reach your expectations and would like to ensure you that your feedback has been forwarded to our responsible manager.
Kind regards,
The Arenaturist management
Roma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

The good and the bad. First the good, the hotel itself is located on the waters edge. It has nice views of the sea and is set in a pine tree ara. Parking is ok but most of it is first come basis, parking is shared with other hotels from the same overall company. There is a lack of real parking so you have to park under pine trees, on dirt ect. The hotel is old, furnitures really have seen better days. A big issue with many people is that there are no air conditioners in the room although by opening the door you get a nice breeze from the ocean. There is an indoor pool and a small child depth pool outside. The beach area is only rocks along with a small area that the hotel made. There is no sand so do not expect it. Breakfast is good and has a nice mix. Hotel desk staff are friendly. Changing of towels is only once every 2 days. Elevator is about the size of a small broom closet so take the stairs. Location is overall not bad, ere is nice scuba diving of shelves in the area as well as alot of hotel sponsored water sports. Now the bad part. The security they employ at the entrance of the hotel road are incompetant to say the least. They will refuse you entrance if you do not have a car pass, this includes when you are trying to check in and do not have sucg pass. Only way to get past the guard is to leave your car outside (good luck finding close parking) and thenwalk to the hotel and check in, then walk back to your car with the pass and drive in. The guard will refuse to call the hotel to confirm you are a guest. Add this to the fact that there are no guarded parking for most of the area (none by this hotel) and e fact that the parking area is dimly lit places some hesitation on recommending this hotel, overall the stay was ok. Trip was an advanced trip to check area for diving with club but after hassles with entrance will find another more accessable place as leaving thousands of euro of gear unattended in a car just to walk to hotel to get a pass does not appeal to my club

Room Tip: Do not come to this hotel if you need air conditioning or expect a sandy beach.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Franco018
Arenaturist, Manager at Brioni Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear Franco,
We would like to thank you for choosing to spend your holidays with us at Hotel Brioni and for taking the time to write and to share your opinion on Tripadvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed the hotel views and that you experienced unforgettable diving excursions. However, we are extremely sorry to hear that you experienced some misunderstandings with the security guards outside the hotel. To guarantee a parking place for all our guests and for security reason it is not possible to enter the hotel parking without a pass. Usually this problem is solved easily if you are not traveling alone, so that the other member stays in the car, but we understand that it may be quite problematic for a solo traveler. We assure you that your important comments will be forwarded to our management team, and this particular case will be discussed with the security staff in order to prevent that such inconveniences occur in the future. In the meantime, we hope that you will give us another chance to serve you.
Best regards,