“Did the job!”

Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in Pula
London, United Kingdom
“Did the job!”
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Very good price. Easy access to Pula and Premantura by bus from end of road. Supermarket on site is a little pricey so possibly better to go into town for supplies. Quiet when we were there because before main season. Sea view was blocked by trees but not a problem as you could take cup of tea two minutes down hill and sit on rocks! Accommodation basic but adequate - for price no complaints at all. Nice to have access to swimming pool (sea water) on Splendid part of site. Cafe looked ok but didn't try it. As previous reviewer said be careful when you walk around at night(maybe take small torch!) as lots of steps and lights not brilliant. Reception very helpful.

Do visit Rovinj - lovely little city - bus from Pula bus station.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank S.E.4
Arenaturist, Manager at Horizont Golden Rocks Resort, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the hotel Horizont for your holidays. We are glad that you were satisfied with our service, the hotel and its surroundings. Also, we would like to thank you for taking the time to give us such a nice feedback on Tripadvisor. Your praise is motivation for us to continue to do all the possible to make our guests’ holiday as perfect as possible.
We are looking forward to welcome you back at hotel Horizont within the near future.
Kind regards,
Arenaturist management

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We spent last weekend in this resort. The place is beautiful, or rather, "biutiful".
We booked a big appartment, from 40 to 55 sqm, with sea views. Reality was a 30 m appartment with an 8 sqm. terrace, from which we could spot a line of sea blue over the roof of a building standing in front of ours. For the description and the pictures I expected that a sqm is a sqm everywhere, and that our terrace would be directly over the sea. Not the case.

Second disappointment was the air conditioning. If you want it, you have to pay extra money for it. In the description I got it was written that the room counted with aircon. And it was true... at a price.

Then, the fact that the ward wanted to keep our passports at all cost, until the bill had been paid. I never ever separate from my passport; actually it is not mine, since it belongs to my country, so I should not do that. I also refused to pay in advance, so the ward had to go with a photocopy in the hope that his manager would not yell too loud. The manager appears to be an ogre in the place, since all staff refers to him whenever you ask for anything you expected but is not there for you to take unless you pay extra money for it.

The following disappointment was the swimming-pool. Beautiful in the pictures, and honors reality. The problem is that the water inside comes pumped from the sea, so unless you like cold and extremely salted water in a pool, this one is not for you.

Terrific was the fact that you could not use the sunbeds if not for 8 extra euro/day. First, they charge for them, and then it cannot be for one hour, it has to be for the full day, and you lose your right if you leave it unattended. Since you are there and there's no other way you can relax, you finally pay for it, just to realise five minutes later that if you need to use the umbrella... yes, you got it, 5 more euro. By that time you have paid already a lot: room + aircon + sunbed + umbrella... and of course, you'd like to have a drink, and since you canno t keep your sunbed unattended, there's no other place to have that cold drink than... you got it, the hotel bar.

A propo: no room service in 4 days is something worth mentioning, isn't it?

Let me also remind those who have not explored the area that you will find no single sandbeach in the area. It's all rocks. Yes, from the rock to the sea, and you'd better take nautic shoes with you, a very thick pad to lie on, and lots of sunscreen, since no umbrella can therefore be used.

Finally, the restaurants at Pula are terrible in our experience. You pay extraordinarily high prices for minute fish of dubious quality, plus they will look bad at you whenever you ask for anything special, such as "this fish is raw, can you cook a few minutes longer?", and respond quite inpolitely to requests such as "the oil you gave me for the salad has been used to cook fish before, could you bring me some olive oil?".

Summing up: the most beautiful stripe of Mediterranean coast I've seen since Menorca, but: no beach, low products quality, low hotels quality, and very customer-hostile service.

Who wants to visit this place yet? Just drive down there from beautiful Rovinj, take some pictures, and leave.

And what a waste of hotel management in such a beautiful scenery. A real waste. Simply, "biutiful"

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Javier_19731202
Dear Guest,
We appreciate it very much that you took your valuable time to write this review about us Hotel Horizont on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you found beautiful our nature and the Mediterranean coast.
We are terribly sorry to hear that your stay in our hotel hasn't been gratifying. We would like to apologize for those services that did not meet your expectations.
Also, We are sorry that our receptions did not explain you that keeping the guests' passports is a normal security procedure in Croatian hotels.
You may be assured that all your comments will be taken into account and will help us to keep continually improving our services.
We hope that these inconveniences do not prevent you to visit us once again in the future.
Arenaturist management

Travellers are raving about these Pula hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2010

This is very basic self catering accom but shows photos of its adjacent hotel, Splendid, on the web site, which is new and of a much better standard. Go for this instead as it is on the same site. The site is hilly with lots of steps, which is fine for the young but not ok for my mother who found it very difficult to negotiate. The sea is lovely with rocky beaches and there is a sea water pool, fitness centre, restaurants, disco and a shop. The people were helpful but really this is only ok for a cheap and cheerful trip for active young families. Pula the nearby town has Roman remains but little else. The Croatian coastline makes it worth it, though.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
london
Reviewed 20 August 2007

With the UK weather so poor this year our my promised 'greener' camping trips had to go out the window.

I have to say my only incentive for visiting croatia was
a Price of flights (ryanair)
b Price of accomodation
c the sunshine

Its was so cheap I could not turn it down. £750 for a family of four in peak summer, during the school holidays.

Horizont resort is a shared area with the Splendid resort and aminities are one in the same.

If you dont like walking I would suggest you hire a car or dont stay here.

The resort is set in the edge of a forest on the coast.
I stayed in a 1 bedroom appt. They are clean & simpley furnished with a kitchenette, sofa bed in living area and a double bedroom.
All appts have Sat TV. There is aircon in the living room and bedroom but there is a charge of £3.50 a day to make it work.

The resort its self is so vast, even though it was fully booked it was uncrowded.

Being set in the coast line, there are a lot of hills and steps, I walked everyware and I lost 1/2 stone in a week, so be prepared.

The onsite supermarket called Consom, which I felt lived up to its name. This is Croatia where the cost of living is low, I was expecting Tesco prices not M&S.

There a four places to eat and I tried them all many times during my stay, I have to be honest the food was not that good (with the exception of the fish) and the service was pretty lousy.

Down by the salt water swimming pool the sunbeds are £2.50 each for the day. The pool and solerium look out over the sea to an endless horzion and the 'beaches' are accessble by steps that lead down to rocks.
Yes the beaches are rocks, no sand here mate. This is good if your fed up with sand getting everywhere but bad news if your kids want to build a castle.

The sea water is calm, crystal clear and I have to say beautiful even without sand.

There is a childerens club and nightly entertainment that goes on 'till 1am. But my appt was so far away I heard nothing.

The sports centre hires out bikes (well worth it), tennis courts and raquets. There is a mini golf, but no club or balls??.

My whole family enjoyed the week we spent at horizont, it was not brilliant but its was very good value.

• Stayed August 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)