“Nice place to stay. Very far from the old city” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Falkensteiner Hotel & Spa Iadera

Falkensteiner Hotel & Spa Iadera
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Zadar
Paris, France
“Nice place to stay. Very far from the old city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

Very modern and comfortable hotel. The architecture is almost worth the trip. But this hotel is quite far from the old ( and wonderful) city of Zadar : so i would not recommend it for a short stay. Better for families who like to stop somewhere, envoy the sea and sun and do nothing.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jjaugier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

They need to have more hotels like this in the south of Croatia near the islands! This was a lovely hotel, fantastic service, amazing location, great facilities, very helpful staff, and perfect rooms. I wish we had stayed here for longer.
Just make sure you realise the price they quote you is different depending on the number of people in the room. We had a little miscommunication, they need to be more clear about that.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Warwickshire UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

As our car pulled up to the security gates leading to the Falkensteiner Hotel & Spa Iadera alarm bells started to ring – my initial thoughts on the exterior of the compound, yes compound, was that we were arriving at a ‘training facility’ for those that have a penchant for working in the secret services. Austere would be an understatement!

Before I continue with my comments on the hotel I would firstly like to point out that these are my opinions based on 25 years of international first class travel. They are not based on a short snapshot of some of the worlds 4&5 star hotels they are based on not only my extensive business travels but my leisure time also. I’d further like to add, at this juncture that, in general, the staff at the hotel were pleasant and always eager to assist. I would particularly like to thank Marina for her attentive service at breakfast and during the day in the lounge bar. I did however say ‘in general’.

Checking in was a relatively painless exercise to the extent that they didn’t even want a swipe of my credit card; unusual to say the least. However, they did fall down at the first hurdle when they stated that they were unaware of any prepaid Spa treatments despite the fact I had a receipted email to evidence the same. (that debate raised its head again at checkout)

Being a 5 Star facility they offered the customary complimentarily sparking wine or fruit juice whilst the check in process was taking place. It didn’t arrive so we were asked to take a seat in the lobby. Ten minutes of sitting around awaiting a glass of fruit juice was more than enough so we asked to go to our suite. 20 minutes after arriving at the room the fruit juice arrived. Now some, reading this, may well think that this is trivial, it is; however, when taken into account with the forthcoming comments it forms part of a totally unacceptable standard.

Whether paid for or free WiFi, even hard wire would suffice, is one of my non-negotiable requirements at any hotel I stay at. This facility offers it free to all guests. Now free is good, but it is only good if it works. It did but not in our suite; a call was placed to reception that said it would be dealt with. Five hours later – still no internet. Of course, it worked in the public areas and on the balcony but working on business documents in such an environment was hardly conducive.

It was pleasing to note that the suite proffered a menu of pillows. This is the type of service akin to a 5 star hotel; of course, it being the Falkenstiener they didn’t really want us to ask for a change of pillows as that would have and did catch them out; they didn’t have any left or so they said.

Taking a deep breath we headed down for a short walkabout and a trip to the beach & pool. Beach towels were actually in the room and that there was no visible sign of pool attendants during our stay. This meant that if not out at 8am to reserve your sunbed you were out of luck and were left with the beach only option. Of course, as you will find out, there was little or no point in complaining.

Prior to heading out of the hotel for dinner I had to handle some work on my computer. As there was no WiFi in the room I was left with no alternative other than to work on the balcony. This was fine, not that I suffer such ‘make do’ situations that easily, until I took a break for a shower. Upon finishing my shower I was astonished to hear 80’s style disco music blaring around the building. It was 7pm but I could hardly hear myself think. I was stunned to see the music was coming from the ground floor Apex of the two hotel bedroom wings so that all rooms and facilities across the hotel were bombarded with loud music… no mention of this on the hotel website I thought!

No WiFi, No Pillow Exchange & now 80’s disco music disturbing my thought process; enough was enough and I called the reception to ask the manager to call and see me. Now here’s a strange thing; they didn’t have a duty manager, only the general manager. Having asked for the GM to call and see me the reception adopted the ‘elephant in the room strategy’ and ignored me. I, on the other hand, became increasingly furious at the music and the hotel itself, therefore I called back and, when doing so, was told that the manager was busy with other guests and would not be coming to see me. I suggested that this was unacceptable and asked if they were joking, they said they weren’t joking! I set out the basis of my complaints and asked that she contact me within the hour – I am still waiting and have been home for two nights!

There are numerous other points and issues I could raise on this hotel. However, for the sake of sanity, I will draw a line after the following short points;

o Dry cleaning was returned having not been done – of course there was a bill with it!;

o Manicure staff didn’t have the correct equipment, saying they had ordered it in but it hadn’t arrived;

o The main bar was so brightly lit, and virtually empty after 10pm most nights, that it was a visually cold and an unattractive place to congregate;

o Despite asking for it to be changed – the notifications on our room TV were in German and remained the same for the duration;

o A visit to the Hamam, which was pleasant, was spoilt by the fact that there were no staff anywhere to be seen once we left the changing rooms and therefore we had to simply leave the keys & towels on the unattended reception desk;

o It is the only 5 Star International hotel I have ever been in that did not have an English speaking newspaper either in the public areas or the store.

o There are numerous part finished or unfinished step around the pool area that are quite simply dangerous to the older and younger generations particularly when there is not one piece of safety or handrail in at any of the steps or raised deck areas.

In summary; this hotel is aesthetically akin to a security service training or ‘treatment’ facility – not one of the corridors, leading to the guest rooms, had a piece of artwork or any other discerning decorative feature that could be commented on. The rates they charge, much more expensive than many of the top London hotels, were extortionate compared to the level of service afforded (we would have gone elsewhere if time and availability had permitted) which was certainly far short of a five star facility. Would I stay again; I’d have to be taken by ‘operatives’ in dark clothes and or white coats!

Room Tip: Ensure you don't get a room overlooking the entertainment area between the blocks of rooms!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank must_tell_u
Zagreb, Croatia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

I spent 3 days in that beautiful resort during off season.It is a real 5 star hotel.Beautiful rooms,restaurant,spa,pools,garden.The weaknest part is the beach which is natural but the access to the sea is very difficult because of the rocky bottom.Tise resort is made for relaxing.Far enough away from the city of Zadar, yet close enough to him so that you could visit whenever you want.A photo speaks a thousand words, so I upload them fairly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Weiden, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband and I spent 3 days in Zadar at this beautiful hotel & spa. It was during the off season so it was not crowded and was extremely relaxing. The room was phenomenal: extremely clean, pillow service and ladies even came around at night with complementary water, chocolates and fresh towels. The pool area was very clean as well as the spa. The breakfast buffet was more than anyone could every ask for. Complementary breakfast included Prosecco, fresh squeezed juices, an assortment of teas and honey, various yogurts, cereals, pastries, breads, meats and cheeses. The drinks and food were pricey, but that is a given for such a lavish hotel. It is a wonderful resort for a relaxing vacation. I would not recommend it to someone who plans on sightseeing, as it is 30 minutes or more from the sights of Zadar and the airport. Taxi from airport to hotel was pricey.

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean view are well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Zagreb, Croatia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

This resort is really great, even for a short break. As soon as I entered the hotel, I already felt relaxed. The service was excellent. All the staff was really friendly and helpful and there was always somebody on disposal.
Wellness area is absolutely magnificent, very spacious, clean and cozy.
Breakfast is delicious. The restaurant on the beach within the resort has magnificent sea view and really tasty food.
The rooms are really big and comfortable, also with sea view.
Definitely the place I would like to come back to.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Maastricht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

We travel very much, but this Hotel ranks among the top of the top in Europe, despite its location still being a jewel to be explored. After 4 days in the Falkensteiner Diadora, we decided to (see review) to get some rest and opt for their best Suite a Senior Suite. Arriving at the Iadera is like arriving in another world. The people are all extremely service oriented, friendly and going far beyond expectations. We did have some issues with noise of a barbeque due to our 2 year old wanting to sleep, but on the last night, we just joined the very pleasant Dalmatian evening and our daughter loved it and played with a number of kids that were there. The beds are extremely comfortable and the food is excellent. It is a very harmonic and peaceful resort. Great architecture and amazing pools. You can swim and float in the salt pool or just enjoy the wonderful Infinity pools with amazing views.
The food at all times was super fresh and Ivana gave us an outstanding service going the extra mile all the time at the Spa Bistro.
We did not manage to go to Massages this time, but will go back to this Hotel for sure.
We did meet Yvonne Tesch twice and her professional management skills can be seen throughout the entire Hotel. They communicate very well among themselves and any complaint is taken very seriously. We did have to adapt a little coming from Diadora, but next time we go directly to the Iadera. Indeed a 5 star and not cheap at all, but worth every penny. I hope that Falkensteiner will grow more with such properties where the mix is good then we might consider going more to their chain.
Thank you.

Room Tip: upgrade to a Junior or Senior Suite for view and enjoyment.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lufthansa1974
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zadar
Falkensteiner Club Funimation Borik
Mediteran
Mediteran
#6 of 21 in Zadar
Zaton Holiday Resort

Been to Falkensteiner Hotel & Spa Iadera? Share your experiences!